CX881
Topic Author

Pilot's Question About UA......

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:10 pm

Hey Guys -
I ask this to not just everybody but specifically to the pilot's for UA. I am still 15 almost 16 and am thinking of joining the airforce and then getting into commercial aviation as a pilot. I would want to be based in the US and fly for a US airline. What would be your advice on "airline choosing". I am thinking UA just because of their wide variety of planes. I have been told that when you go through the airforce you wouldn't have to start in the little prop planes but would be able to jump right into the jets. Is this true? And if so does UA give good pay for jet pilots or would you go with a different airline for better pay?

Thanks for any answers!!!

CX881
Dan
747-400 - FOREVER THE QUEEN OF THE SKIES!!!

AirWillie6475

RE: Pilot's Question About UA......

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:21 pm

Hello, so you want to fly for UA huh? Join the club. Right now we can't really ask questions about who is the best airline out there because we just won't know. You are only 15 but you sound like you are ready to apply for a job next week. By the time we are ready to apply for major ailrine jobs, proably after 10/15 years, who knows how the industry will have changed. All we can do is just build time, it's way too early to build fantasies about the airlines we are going to fly for. But to answer your question, NO UA is not the best airline to be flying for right now.

CX881
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:48 pm

Hey AirWillie -
What about in the way of pay? For a jet pilot do they get pretty good pay or no? Just wondering. And if they don't have good pay then compare it to, for instance, American Airlines.

Thanks,
CX881
Dan
747-400 - FOREVER THE QUEEN OF THE SKIES!!!

bobnwa

Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:38 pm

Quoting CX881 (Thread starter):
I have been told that when you go through the airforce you wouldn't have to start in the little prop planes but would be able to jump right into the jets. Is this true?

A pilot coming of the Air Force or Navy is treated like any other new hire pilot at an airline. From the minute they are hired, everything is determined by seniority.

caboclo

Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:42 am

Hi CX881. Currently UA is definitely not the place to be, but keep an eye on them, they might improve by the time you get there. In the meantime, if you don't like CX, broaden your horizons a little and consider the freight airlines. The box haulers have a reputation for being low quality, unsafe, and cheap, but that's not entirely true. Fedex, for intance, is almost as much in demand as Southwest for prospective pilots. UPS is also an excellent choice. Also, many of the asian cargo airlines have bases in the US. Singapore, Eva, China Airlines, etc, all buy new 747 freighters. Keep your options open, don't mentally commit yourself to one particular airline.
Freight dogs have more fun

Badmax

Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:34 am

I have talked with a pilot who is flying Dash8 as a Captain. At the moment he is looking forward to fly bigger aircrafts, especially jets. He told me that most of the freight airlines are offering saisonal contracts and you have to pay the typerating by yourself.

zotan

Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:52 am

UA isnt hiring and wont be for a long, long time. They still have 1,956 pilots on furlough with only 150 to be recalled this year.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/content/view/44/36/

This website has pay, number of pilots, fleets etc. If you want to make a lot of money, and have a stable career, this is the WRONG indsutry.