StarAlliance
Topic Author

China Airline Pilot Die In Flight!

Mon May 08, 2000 11:19 pm

Terrible!!!

A CI Bulgarain pilot die due to heart attack in the flight from Taipei to Vietnam on the 7th of May!!! Leaving the copilot, with 300 flying hours experience ONLY, to land at Taipei in emergency and no one was hurt. The airline tried to explain that the health condition of pilots are not easy to detect! ( we can see how poor the management is!!)

I was shocked by this news and I realize again that China Airlines is TOO TOO dangerous to travel on!

Don't travel CI!!!!!!

avion

RE: China Airline Pilot Die In Flight!

Mon May 08, 2000 11:22 pm

Happened to KLM a few weeks ago. You wouldnt say that KLM is unsafe.
A very sad loss for the familiy of the pilot. My condolences!

Avion

Boeing727

RE: China Airline Pilot Die In Flight!

Tue May 09, 2000 12:34 am

This kind of incident has happened numerous times before with other airlines and (like Avion said) most of which you wouldn't call unsafe.

Boeing727

aaron atp

Vero Beach Municipal...

Tue May 09, 2000 5:07 am

One day at vero beach, the controller asked N66FC what there intentions were, with a heavy oriental accent, the reply was: I plan to stay at flight safety for 2 more months, then I'll be going back to china to work for china air. There was a long silence on the radio, because every pilot and controller listening to the radio was laughing. The controller didn't bother to re-ask his question.

if you went to a school that also trained china air pilots, you'd probably find this funny too...

china-air pilots have such little flight time (and experience!) when they leave their government funded training in the US, I would be afraid to fly with them anyway.

Air Taiwan

!

Tue May 09, 2000 9:18 am

Although I'm not a fan of China Airlines, I have to say that in this particular incident they did quite well in handling the situation. Yes, THIS copilot has only 700+ flight hours and he landed the plane SAFELY in CKS Airport! You cannot blame the airline for it's pilots death onboard. And as all of you might know, Taiwan has one of the strictest health-exams in the world. Many Americans even question them to be too strict. This case is unique. I'm not to say anything about the pilot's death except for being sorry about it. The pilot is Bulgarian and is living in Taiwan on his own, his wife and children are all in Bulgaria.

PS For those of you who can't even tell China Airlines and Air China, don't bother posting messages on this forum, and humiliate yourself by saying "china-air pilots have such little flight time (and experience!)".

Navion

Happened On Braniff 747

Tue May 09, 2000 10:36 am

I recall about 20 years ago a Braniff 747 was enroute over the Pacific from Hawaii to Dallas, and the Captain had a heart attack and subsequently died. A doctor on board declared the Captain dead, and after discussions with Los Angeles Approach and Braniff's Operations, they elected to overfly LAX and continue all the way to Dallas. The thinking was they couldn't solve anything landing at LAX and they might as well finish the flight. Of course, it helps having a flight engineer up there with the first officer!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos