lincoln

How Long Before A PNR Number Is Reused

Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:50 am

Hi All,

Oddball question, but I was looking through my boarding passes and bag tags for CO for the past year, and the though occurred to me...

How long before a reservation system reuses PNR numbers, and are PNR numbers used in sequence?

I had assumed that it would be a ~1 year period, but looking at my trip back in march (Continental PNR VKX66Q) and the trip I'm leaving for on Monday (CO PNR V90N**), if PNRs are used in sequence, it would appear that it was more like 6 months).

Also, why is it that CSRs seem suprised when I know the PNR number for my itin but not the flight numbers*... Big grin

Lincoln

* (For example, I know I'm going to IAH at about 3:00 with V90N** on Monday, but don't ask me what flight that is)
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Leskova

RE: How Long Before A PNR Number Is Reused

Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:35 am

The PNRs are usually purged from the system within 3 days after the last segment is done (at least that's when Sabre throws them out - but I think it's roughly the same on all GDSs).

After that, the filekeys/record locators get reused as soon as they're needed: I had one filekey at work last week for which I've now twice issued a ticket this year, but it was for completely different passengers and completely different itineraries... it was even booked by completely different agencies: in other words, it was a complete coincidence.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos