soups

Astraeus Increase Flights To FNA

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:44 pm

Astraeus is expanding its services to Freetown in Sierra Leone this winter. From 30 November 2005, a new Wednesday service will be offered, taking the total number of non-stop flights between London Gatwick and Freetown to three per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

To cope with peak demand, we are also adding six extra flights (on Tuesdays and Sundays) over the Christmas and New Year period, which is traditionally a busy time of year on the route. All services are operated by the extra-legroom 757 aircraft. Flights are timed to offer convenient connections to a wide range of destinations in the USA, Europe and UK via London Gatwick’s extensive route network.

Also B3 flies LHR-FNA twice or thrice weekly.
Not sure what happened to Sierra National Airline flihts from LGW to FNA
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Orion737

RE: Astraeus Increase Flights To FNA

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:59 pm

I would have liked to have seen a Sierra Leone carrier on the route and getting a share of the market to Freetown now that their country is stable and begining to receive business and leisure passengers again.

I like Astraeus and they provide a good service but sad that it isnt a Sierra Leone carrier providing local job opportunities for the poor people of this beautiful country.

FOMEA

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:54 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 1):
poor people of this beautiful country.

A beautiful country indeed.

Also, There is a Pic in the database for a Sierra National Airlines
Boeing 757-256 its dated back to April 13, 2004.

Are they out of Business?
On the internet you can be anything you want..its strange so many choose to be Stupid.

Vasu

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:02 am

Just out of interest, where does the demand for such services lie? Leisure? Sierra Leone nationals living in the UK?

Orion737

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:10 am

I dont know that the tourism amounts to very much. the country is only just getting back on its feet after the recent turmoil. The country certainly has tourist potential and a beautiful coastline with some great sandy beaches. Cape Sierra is a particularly lovley area.

I see no reason why tourism to Sierra Leone couldnt take off in the same way it has in nearby Gambia. The cimate would certainly appeal to winter sunseekers from the UK and we share a language and colonial history.

None of our mass market tour operators are currently offering package holidays to the country so at the moment its probably independant tourists who are visiting.

I would love to return to the coutry. Its been around 12 years since I was there. I am so happy that the country is getting back on its feet and that airlines are once again serving Freetown.

soups

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:35 am

i been to FNA many time and its a nice place to visit, after civil war in the country there is a lack of infrastructure. i THINK its safe now to visit Sierra Leonne.

I dont think there will be any UK package holidays to FNA in the near future due to lack of basic touristic infrastructure such as hotels

Orion737

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:52 am

I agree but I hope independant tourists visit and provide some much needed revenue. Even before the country had its recent troubles, none of the tour operators showed much interest.

I find that suprising because the Cape Sierra area was quite well developed for tourists and the climate is ideal for Winter sun holidays and the flight time not too bad at under 7 hours from London.

Lets hope tourism picks up to Sierra Leone. they could do with the business. Astraeus increasing flights is a positive sign.

HUYfan

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:57 am

Having stayed in the Cape Sierra/Aberdeen area many many times, I have to say that although it is the best area in Freetown for tourists, it lags a long long way behind being able to attract tourists on package holidays from the UK. Also there is the issue of the transfer from Lungi Airport to Freetown, I can't see a load of First Choice UK holiday makers fancying the hovercraft or helicopter.

Regards

Mike

whitehatter

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:04 am

Astraeus have been flying a few routes for the oil industry, this might be supported by the mining operations in Sierra Leone.

Something to keep Bruce Dickinson busy with anyway when Iron Maiden finish the summer tour!
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

BCAL

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:14 am

IIRC Sierra Leone Airways operated to LGW via LPA about 2 or maybe 3 years ago. There are many West Africans (sorry do not know what the correct terminology of Sierra Leone nationals is  embarrassed  ) living in Gran Canaria. The flights were, however, often subject to cancellation and then safety issues were raised in the UK putting a temporary stop to the service, which soon became permanent.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

airish

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:18 am

Anyone heard about Air Salone flights BAA lists http://www.gatwickairport.com/portal...en&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=token them along with Astraeus from Gatwick. This is Air Salone website http://www.airsalone.com/
Worlds Only Reputable Airline Air India! Some Of The Least: BA, Jet (9w), Kingfisher!

HUYfan

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:27 am

Maybe this has something to do with the rumoured FLYJET LGW-FNA flights?

Regards

Mike

soups

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:10 am

Quoting HUYfan (Reply 11):
Maybe this has something to do with the rumoured FLYJET LGW-FNA flights?

According to Air Saloon they also serve Banjul.... Flyjet doenst serve Banjul