380ORD
Topic Author

Flying Hospital For Hurricane Kattina Relief

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:45 pm

P-MED is parked in Tuscon last I heard. It is a L-1011, owned by a charity and is equipped to do cataract surgery and operate as a opthalmological clinic -even has a surgical recovery room for several patients and a classroom in front.

Not sure about its FAA cert at this time. Flies without staff,just pilots and then it parked and operated by medical staff there without ground pilots.

What do you all think about what it would take(money,time,resources) to get it up again--it was built for defunct PSA in the early 80's I believe. Coul;d the work to get it up be done in Tuscon and if not--how does it get within FAA regs to where it needs to go?

What about L-10 pilots and their availability to ferry to a few refit places within us and then to gulf coast.

Just speculation before I present it to the charity that owns it--it is for sale but no current buyers that i know of and no plans for them to get it up that i know of.

Would a commercial intermediary donate the money, resources to get it airworthy enough to the Gulf of Mexico if the FAA would require it.

What about airport security when it was parked-and access for patients to get to it?

Thanks
Larry USA

[Edited 2005-09-14 15:46:29]

[Edited 2005-09-14 15:47:11]

380ORD
Topic Author

RE: Flying Hospital For Hurricane Kattina Relief

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:49 pm

sorry I made a new thread on this already threaded subject--how do i remove it so i can paste it to the original thread?