RJ100
Topic Author

EasyJet Massive Basel Expansion Ahead

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:06 am

Just in:

easyJet to place a fourth aircraft in Basel. Starting new services to Prague, Amsterdam, Paris, Lisbon and adds third daily flight to Berlin and second daily flight to Hamburg!!!!!!!

More information to follow...

Regards,
RJ100
none

alphafloor

RE: EasyJet Massive Basel Expansion Ahead

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:18 am

Great news RJ100 ! I'm really happy with the involvement of easyJet in Basel.
We are really happy with them here in GVA, they are growing and to see also that in Basel... well, that's very good ! That's only the beginning...

Alphafloor
Whatever

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:25 am

This is great news indeed. Unbelievable how they grow in the Swiss market. They have just recently announced a massive increase of services from GVA as well!  Smile

I was flying them from Naples to Basel on Monday and had a discussion with a mate about possible new destinations out of Basel. We came to the conclusion that Lisbon and Paris will be next...  Wink

Regards,
RJ100
none

airbuseric

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:49 am

Finally some expansion of easyJet's services out of AMS again it seems...

Rgds
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

BestWestern

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:04 am

Frequencies are as follows:

2 Daily to Charles de Gaulle from 31 Oct
1 Daily to Amsterdam from 10th Mar
1 Daily to Lisbon from 10th Mar
5 weekly to Prague from 10th Mar

EasyJet has 17 destinations from BSL
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

lsgg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 2):
They have just recently announced a massive increase of services from GVA as well!

Here there are :Lisbonne, Malaga, Bournemouth, Londres-Stansted, Edimbourg, Doncaster, Glasgow !

Well done, EasyJet Switzerland  bigthumbsup 

Keep going !
Swissair forever !

Sabena 690

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:08 am

Any chance for a Basle - Brussels?

I don't see LX continuing this route with an ARJ once the S20's and ER4's have been withdrawn from use within about 8 months...

Regards
Frederic

lsgg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:17 am

Quoting Sabena 690 (Reply 6):

Hmmm some good I think...

If you look at GVA, Easy took many destinations which SR/LX had gave up...
Swissair forever !

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:46 am

You are right, SWISS will give up the Brussels route once they throw out their Embraers (next spring).

I am sure that the airport management is currently preparing for this. There are many candidates: SNBA, VEX or easyJet. Since SNBA is one of my favourite airlines I hope for them of course.

Quoting Lsgg (Reply 5):
Here there are :Lisbonne, Malaga, Bournemouth, Londres-Stansted, Edimbourg, Doncaster, Glasgow !

Excellent choice as well!  Smile

As for Amsterdam, I think easyJet just could not resist since SWISS is offering a really emberassing product as of winter schedule (1x daily service on midday...).

BTW, does easyJet have aircraft based in CDG? Will the flights be operated with CDG based aircraft then?

Regards,
RJ100
none

lsgg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:04 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 8):
does easyJet have aircraft based in CDG?

It seems at least...
Because they have some destinations from CDG like Nice or Dortmund... Just my guest  Smile
Swissair forever !

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting Lsgg (Reply 9):
It seems at least...
Because they have some destinations from CDG like Nice or Dortmund... Just my guest

Thanks for the information. Will book flights to CDG in two days!

Now the only thing that is missing is this damn BSL-GVA shuttle hehehe Big grin

Just for the sake of connecting two great cities  Wink

Regards,
RJ100
none

Joost

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:11 am

Lsgg: DTM has 3 A319s based, and AFAIK the DTM-CDG flights are operated with DTM a/c. For the NCE flights, I don't know.

lsgg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:12 am

Interesting to see that BSL will have some exclusive destinations which Easy don't deserve from GVA like :

Prague (OK there is already Flybaboo but it's not the same market)
Hamburg (not available from GVA at all !)  scratchchin 
Swissair forever !

lsgg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:14 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 11):
Lsgg: DTM has 3 A319s based, and AFAIK the DTM-CDG flights are operated with DTM a/c.

Ok thanks for the info Joost !

---I'm a bit less stupid now Big grin ---
Swissair forever !

lsgg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:18 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 10):
Now the only thing that is missing is this damn BSL-GVA shuttle hehehe

Has this route ever even existed ? Maybe during Crossair time ?

Anyway that would be the dream  Big grin
Swissair forever !

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:23 am

Interesting side note: In my father's office just today they introduced a new flight booking system. Every employee is able to book his own flights and easyJet will always be first choice automatically. If you need to have another flight or carrier you need to call the internal travel agency.

So a lot of high yield biz pax for easy!

RJ100
none

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:27 am

Quoting Lsgg (Reply 14):
Has this route ever even existed ? Maybe during Crossair time ?

Yes, I think Crossair has flown it up to 4x daily to feed the BSL hub. And just recently Helvetic Wings has flown the route with a Beech1900.

I see a chance for the route with a 30-50 seater and the "flyBaboo" concept (mix between LCC and high fares), although that the hourly train is a huge competitior.

Regards,
RJ100
none

lsgg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:35 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 16):
I see a chance for the route with a 30-50 seater and the "flyBaboo" concept

Yes, why not ?
After all, the origin of Flybaboo is GVA-Lugano, a forsaken LX route, and an interior shuttle...

Would be nice anyway, let me hope  Smile
Swissair forever !

alphafloor

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:13 am

Now the only thing that is missing is this damn BSL-GVA shuttle hehehe

Just for the sake of connecting two great cities

Yes, that's exactly my wish ! It would be really great !! ... that's why I've said this is only the beginning...
Whatever

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:54 am

I would say flyBaboo should check out this route, with a twice daily service Monday-Friday (and using the aircraft to some weekend destinations on the weekend).

I know many people from overseas who need to visit both cities when they are in Europe. But it is also clear that the train is a big competitor.

Regards,
RJ100
none

Joost

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:57 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 8):
As for Amsterdam, I think easyJet just could not resist since SWISS is offering a really emberassing product as of winter schedule (1x daily service on midday...).

Why did they reduce frequency that much? I would suppose AMS-BSL is a business route, demanding a day-return flight, like they have now in the summer schedule. When reducing this to a one-daily, flying LX loses an important selling point above carriers offering connections. Will the easyJet flight be able to make LX to abandon the whole route?

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:05 am

LX is simply not interested in BSL. Every passenger who is boarding a plane in BSL is one missing in ZRH (where they still have an overcapacity).

Basel-Amsterdam has a huge potential, especially with business passengers. At one time Crossair and KLM Cityhopper were flying the same route- 8x daily! My father is flying the route at least once a month- and the flights are full every time with fares that are crazy (his company usually pays around 1300 CHF in economy!).

Now SWISS reduces the service to a midday flight and will drop it once they got rid of the Embraer-145s.

The daily easyJet flight is a good thing, especially for leisure passengers. But the business passengers still cannot do a same day return. Not really surprising to hear that KLM is currently negociating with BSL airport to begin services. I am sure they will offer this route with beginning summer 06 schedule with a morning and evening rotation.

Regards,
RJ100
none

BestWestern

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:07 am

Now the only thing that is missing is this damn BSL-GVA shuttle

You will know when Easy have expanded at BSL when they announce BSL -> EAP services x3 daily.  Smile

BSL is such a great airport for easy, and its excellent to see that that airport is actively working with them to build their destination base, especially since Swiss will downsize shortly.

In my dealings with BSL they are very airline loyal, and only went after a LCC when LX's eurohub concept died. Prior to that they activly told LCC's that they werent interested in having a LCC at BSL. I presume they will provide EZS with the same loyalty. In this way, both BSL and EZS can make €€€'s from the operation.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

gkirk

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:14 am

I wonder if we could see BSL-NCL sometime?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:21 am

NCL? Why not. Although I think EDI would make more sense since there is no direct flight from Basel or Zurich to Scotland as far as I know. And EDI is a very popular place for business and especially for leisure pax.

Personally I would be very pleased to see a flight to NCL.

Regards,
RJ100
none

BDKLEZ

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:22 am

Expansion at BSL has always been on the cards after the dropping of ZRH. There were major plans for development at ZRH especially after the demise of SR and the subsequent troubles for LX, however after a spate of intense discussions (read arguments/disagreements) with the Airport Authority over charging, landing fees etc, those plans were put on hold indefinitely. BSL, although not keen on the idea of an LCC operator, subsequently and very sensibly began to get quite friendly with U2 and it's approaches after the demise of ZRH. For both BSL and EZY it's gonna be a wonderful friendship!

bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

TriStar500

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:59 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 11):
Lsgg: DTM has 3 A319s based, and AFAIK the DTM-CDG flights are operated with DTM a/c. For the NCE flights, I don't know.

The NCE flight from DTM is also operated by a DTM-based aircraft.

Still no BSL-DTM-BSL (or vice versa) on the horizon? Seems like there is really just a limited market for the DTM base - it has been stagnant from the very beginning about 18 months ago.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

rootsair

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:28 pm

Too bad Easyjet announces Doncaster and Bournemouth from GVA. I think they have TOO many Britiish destinations. They could have added more non british destinations from GVA e.g Prague

Regards

BM

[Edited 2005-09-15 08:31:56]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

airtrainer

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:47 pm

That would be nice indeed. Also, I know it has been discussed before but any chance to see BRU becoming a base ? Or more routes from MST ? Ok it's just my point of view but DTM, AMS and BSL are quite far from home  Wink

Regards.
Life is short : eat dessert first !

lsgg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:53 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 27):
They could have added more non british destinations from GVA e.g Prague

As said before, Prague is already deserve by Flybaboo twice a day in summer ! (except Saturday)

I think they have TOO many Britiish destinations

12 actually  Smile

Too bad Easyjet announces Doncaster and Bournemouth

Personally I'm looking forward to Bournemouth... Nice and pleasant city  Smile
Swissair forever !

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:55 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 26):
Still no BSL-DTM-BSL (or vice versa) on the horizon?

I am surprised by this as well. I expected a DTM-BSL service since both airports are located in big catchment areas. And the Düsseldorf-Cologne-Dortmund area is one of the key markets for people living in the Basel region (especially for the South Germans). And there is only a twice daily service Basel-Düsseldorf with Lufthansa who charge monopoly prices.

Too bad Easyjet announces Doncaster and Bournemouth from GVA. I think they have TOO many Britiish destinations. They could have added more non british destinations from GVA e.g Prague

GVA's British traffic is amazing. Obviously it works quite well. Maybe they could try GVA-Naples as well. It works from BSL too.

Quoting Airtrainer (Reply 28):
That would be nice indeed. Also, I know it has been discussed before but any chance to see BRU becoming a base ? Or more routes from MST ?

One thing is for sure: We need better connections from Switzerland to Brussels. Especially from the German speaking part (Basel, Zurich, Bern etc.) There is only SWISS with a couple of flights ex Zurich and this overpriced (and to be dropped) service from Basel. But easyJet is clever. I am sure that they will consider this market. Even if they do not set up a base in BRU.

Regards,
RJ100

[Edited 2005-09-15 10:56:26]
none

SQ7345

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:38 pm

With all that new destinations especially Paris (which was on the list of Germanwings to serve out of BSL as well), I wonder, if Germanwings really get's here, which destinations they will serve.
We also must not forget Sky Europe which starts service at the end of October to BTS. It's good to see Airlines develop a market at BSL where apparently, as we were told, there was and still is none!

Lemonsoda

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:52 pm

Just poppin' in to add a joyful whoop. Happy to see some solid business sense working out of Basel-Mulhouse headquarters.

Am looking forward to my first EasyJet flight (BSL-Barcelona) in a couple of days.

Btw, if the access road to the airport were better maintained, skating out there would be a lot more fun!

reifel

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:04 pm

Quoting SQ7345 (Reply 31):
With all that new destinations especially Paris (which was on the list of Germanwings to serve out of BSL as well), I wonder, if Germanwings really get's here, which destinations they will serve.

Well actually I think it's great that there is so much competition to Paris!

Thats a great move, as AF was the only one on that route, and they actually had quite low fares anyway.

But it's not only the swiss market that is great. You also have to consider that there is a big french potential there. Big cities like Mulhouse, Colmar, And even more south and nort (possibly even Strasbourg) are potential customers.

And don't forget Germany as well. Of course there are a lot of potential customers in the Rhine valley, but there are still a lot of French people living in that part of Germany.

Take me as exemple, as I live in the black forest: For me it makes no big difference if I drive to STR, BSL or even Strasbourg to fly to Paris. For us south-germans who live in the middle of those airports there is actually a competition between them.

STR-PAR was always overpriced with AF and LH while from BSL and Strasbourg to PAR the fares (especially youth fares) were always ok.

But now Germanwings also flies STR-PAR and Easyjet BSL-PAR this is a excellent travel perspective for me and for a big southern German part of the Land of Baden-Württemberg.

lsgg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:55 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 30):
We need better connections from Switzerland to Brussels. Especially from the German speaking part (Basel, Zurich, Bern etc.

Yes because GVA is deserved by SN/LX and TV four/five times a day  Big grin
Swissair forever !

OYRJA

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:56 pm

That is great news for BSL. Especially now that they have opened the new terminal as well.
And I'm really looking froward to see what measurments AF will take now that they have a competitor on the PAR route Big grin. It's good to see that their monopoly is over.
But I would definatly love to see a EZY flight BSL-CPH. That would be very cool. But that probably wont happen.

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:57 pm

This is interesting. I believe that there is still lot of room for Germanwings. I hope they have the same opinion!  Wink

We also must not forget Sky Europe which starts service at the end of October to BTS.

That's true. Do you know if they plan an advertising campaign? Otherwise I fear the route is not going to work because the airline is more or less unknown here.

It's good to see Airlines develop a market at BSL where apparently, as we were told, there was and still is none!

Not a big surprise that all the supporters of the SWISS withdrawal from BSL (and partly GVA) are getting quiter and quiter...but you know: now we are on the bright side, far away and independant from the SWISS troubles...

@Lemonsoda: Nice to see another BSL a.net member!

Regards,
RJ100
none

stirling

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:27 pm

What about BSL or GVA to OLBIA, or CAGLIARI?

I know, I am probably the only one.....

It would be nice to see more connectivity to the east out of Geneva; as has already been mentioned...12 destinations in the UK is great, (Its easier to count the places without service; INV and ABZ) but I can't imagine those are the only ones needing to get to Suisse?...currently its just Rome, Budapest, and Berlin.....
So could we one day we see flights to GVA from PRG, ATH, LJU, CPH, WAW, or ROM?

And what about MAD? (Wasn't somebody supposed to be announcing a new base in Espana recently??)

Will there ever be any expansion, mainly to Italia?
It's been hard in the past to get anything affordable...and Ryanair is stuck in their secondary airport to secondary airport routine which never seems to fit my plans...which leaves AZ and IB, who both have no qualms in reaching into my wallet for at least 400 euros.....Vueling too, nothing from MAD, just Bilbao and Barcelona...which never seems to work!

Is it my imagination, or does Iberia and AENA have a stranglehold on competition; keeping a lot of LCC competition away?
It seems to me, that for a city/region of over 5 million perons, Madrid doesn't have the options one would expect for a city it's size.........
If I only frequented the Coastal/Resort cities on the Mediterranean...I could go anywhere...cheap, but alas, that is not the case.
Delete this User

lsgg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:53 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 37):
I can't imagine those are the only ones needing to get to Suisse?...currently its just Rome, Budapest, and Berlin.....

And Nice if you look close enough  Big grin (that one is also eastbound of GVA)
Swissair forever !

RJ100
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:38 am

And finally an official easyJet press release:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/News/Basle_new.html

Flights to CDG will be operated by BSL based aircraft (dep. 7.10 and 16.30), the third daily flight to SXF will be operated with a SXF based aircraft (arr. 13.05, dep. 13.25).

TIMETABLES:

Daily from from Basel to Amsterdam with fares from CHF39.95 one way

Depart Basel 1335, arrive 1455 Depart Amsterdam 1520, arrive 1640

Daily from Basel to Paris with fares from CHF39.95 one way

Depart Basel 0710, arrive 0840 Depart Paris CDG 1730, arrive 1800
Depart Basel 1630, arrive 1730 Depart Paris CDG 1800, arrive 1905

Daily from Basel to Lisbon with fares from CHF39.95 one way

Depart Basel 1700, arrive 1840 Depart Lisbon 1910, arrive 2255

Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from Basel to Prague with fares from CGF39.95 one way

Depart Basel 1005, arrive 1125 Depart Prague 1155, arrive 1310
none

Joost

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:04 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 39):

This is a strange flight. Looks like the a/c will make a W-rotation here. The CDG-NCE service maybe?

richardw

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:12 am

Is BSL-LGW likely with a BSL based aircraft?

runway23

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 40):
Quoting RJ100 (Reply 39):

This is a strange flight. Looks like the a/c will make a W-rotation here. The CDG-NCE service maybe?

No just badly worded. Plane spends half an hour in CDG.

RJ100
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:22 am

Here's the full timetable for BSL-CDG-BSL:

flight 1033 BSL-CDG
dep. 07:10, arr. 08:10

flight 1034 CDG-BSL
dep. 08:40, arr. 09:45

flight 1037 BSL-CDG
dep. 16:30, arr. 17:30

flight 1038 CDG-BSL
dep. 18:00, arr. 19:05

Seems like people are already booking like crazy for these flights. For me it's only a matter of time until we see more flights on this route.

As for LGW, it would be cool to get this route. Especially for all the people who need to go or who live in the South of London and England. And since the current services to STN and LTN are doing very well it seems to be possible.

Regards,
RJ100
none

buckieboy

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:04 am

RJ100,

You are correct in your post (reply #24) regarding flights between Switzerland and Scotland with the exception of a Swiss seasonal holiday service to Inverness.

However, I am one of (I guess) no more than ~2000 people who have flown with Duo between EDI and ZRH in Feb 2004; a service that lasted around three months and on the day I flew.....with 11 passengers on board!

Personally, I would see both GLA and EDI as future EasyJet destinations from BSL and you will know that I have a personal interest in either of these destinations being served.  Smile

Cheers

Buckieboy
I'm taking orders from bottles of wine

SWISSER

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:06 am

I don't know, BRU is not very keen on LCC, but who knows?
What time is top of descent?

RJ100
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:17 pm

@Buckieboy: I heard about Duo. Sad that they went bancrupt. Unfortunately they were unknown in Switzerland. But I am sure easyJet would do well to EDI. Also for inbound tourism.

You are right about the flight to Inverness too. Completely forgot about that.

Do you still fly on BA when you go to Scotland? Most of my friends who are leisure travellers use easyJet via London.

Best regards,
RJ100
none

buckieboy

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:11 am

RJ100,

On my own, I'm using up BA airmiles, which at 12,000 per round trip is okay as I'd never consider this airline to go from CH to Asia.....

With friends.....who don't have too many BA miles, EasyJet get my cash every time.....  Smile

Cheers

Buckieboy
I'm taking orders from bottles of wine

HAJFlyer

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:03 am

If the continue expanding at this pace in BSL and GVA they might as well petition the Swiss federal council to declare them flag carrier.  Wink

lsgg

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:11 pm

Quoting HAJFlyer (Reply 48):
If the continue expanding at this pace in BSL and GVA they might as well petition the Swiss federal council to declare them flag carrier.

If you look at the market at GVA in 2004 : Big grin

- Swiss : 18,4 %

- EasyJet : 25.7 %

And LX keep decreasing... (2003 : 21.3 %)

Just to compare, BA : 8.9 % , AF : 7.6 % and LH : 7.0 %

The year 2005 will be even more interesting (Maybe LX : 14 % ?)...

Anyway it's impressive, as LX a "flag carrier"  eyepopping 
Swissair forever !