noelg

Cancellation Charges On Zoom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:41 am

Okay, here's the story.

In April I booked flights with Zoom. In June I changed the flights, and now I have to cancel.

I originally paid a deposit of £300 (50%).

According to the conditions at the time, cancellation means loss of the deposit.

Obviously with the change there is a charge that I had to pay - in this case £200 which I paid at the time - total amount paid £500, total value of the booking £800.

Refund due back of £500 minus £300 deposit = £200.

I am now being told that the loss is 50% of the total booking!

Therefore my refund decreases from £200 to £100, and they are saying they are going to refund me £11. There is definitely something wrong here, but where do I stand on the difference in deposits? I agreed to the original terms, not to these new ones that seem to have just popped up out of nowhere!

Hope someone can help on where I stand, I'm just getting very fed up with them now!

Cheers,
Noel.

richardw

RE: Cancellation Charges On Zoom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:54 am

Can you claim on your travel insurance?

noelg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:58 am

Quoting Richardw (Reply 1):
Can you claim on your travel insurance?

It's not through illness etc that we have cancelled unfortunately - we're just going elsewhere!  Smile

I've just called them again and apparently the terms and conditions changed between the original booking and the change - so my whole booking moves onto the new T&Cs......of which I was not told when I changed my booking!

How can they do this - surely they can't just move the goalposts whenever they feel like it!

I'm waiting for a manager to call me back now - and they are going to get hell!  mad 

BAxMAN

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:22 am

This may not be nice, but what Zoom have told you would sound just about accurate.

The change fee that you have paid would not count towards any of your booking or the total amount paid. A change fee is always non-refundable and it's guaranteed you won't see that again..

You shouldn't really be angry at Zoom for your own indecisiveness. An airline cannot afford to make its cheapest tickets refundable (whether in full or in part) or this will just encourage people to make tentative bookings which they then cancel because they have a change of heart. Sure fire way of losing money.

The T&C's may have been vague. They inevitably are regardless of what industry you are looking at. Whether you've misinterpreted the T&C's or whatever, I would be pretty confident that Zoom are on solid legal ground.

Ultimately, you have purchased a ticket with all kinds of restrictions and have been caught out. You aren't the first and a whole queue of suckers are waiting to follow in your footsteps. This is what travel insurance is for.

I assume that it goes without saying that you would not have contemplated traveling to North America without a comprehensive travel insurance policy.
I need to get laid

BDKLEZ

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting Noelg (Thread starter):
Hope someone can help on where I stand, I'm just getting very fed up with them now!

It's not the "fault" of Zoom, nor is it yours, however this is what travel insurance is for. I'm assuming you do indeed have at least adequate insurance as you intented to travel to North America. Unfortunately, if you don't there's very little you can do.

It's bad news I'm afraid, but you'll have to join that long line of poor unfortunates who I've seen loads of over the past 12 years. But on the silver lining side, you'll know for next time and through word of mouth you'll be sure to advise your friends to do the same.

sorry   sorry   sorry 
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

noelg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:19 pm

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 3):
I assume that it goes without saying that you would not have contemplated traveling to North America without a comprehensive travel insurance policy.

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 4):
'm assuming you do indeed have at least adequate insurance as you intented to travel to North America

We do have travel insurance, however because we're not cancelling because of illness or anything it won't cover it. There's not many insurance policies that will!

I'm not complaining that we will lose our deposit, I am perfectly willing to do that as I agreed to it in the T&Cs. It's the fact that the airline have changed their conditions during the course of my booking that I am annoyed at - to their favour. I was never told about any change, I actually got an apology from the girl at the airline admitting they perhaps hadn't told me, but she wasn't willing to budge.

Hopefully when this manager calls me this morning I might get somewhere...

Cheers,
Noel.

noelg

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:59 pm

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 3):
The change fee that you have paid would not count towards any of your booking or the total amount paid. A change fee is always non-refundable and it's guaranteed you won't see that again..

Well BAxMAN you are completely right - apparently the change fee is non-refundable (even though the conditions do not state this, but they don't seem to be bothered).

I guess it's the old adage "you get what you pay for" - although in this case they weren't actually much cheaper than AC!

On a side note, our replacement flight is LHR-HKG-AKL on CX, I messed up the booking screen and entered my wife's name the wrong way round. Half expecting a charge in order to do this, I telephoned and got a very helpful lady who understood perfectly and made the change without any charge or penalty whatsoever - and was very helpful about it.

I'm looking forward to this trip now!

Noel.