NIKV69
Topic Author

It's Pics Like This That Make Aviation Great!

Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:48 am

Was checking out pics in the DB today when I found this!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gary C. Orlando

I am not a fanatical fan of the Concorde but I did love to see and hear it fly in and out of JFK. The fact that it made a visit to a small airport in IL is great, not to mention how people came out to see it. I love this pic and the fact that great birds like the SST can make people come out too see it. The pic isn't the best quality but it drives home the point of why many of us love aviation. Look at that beauty! Imagine if the SST made a charter stop to ISP? or FRG? I am not sure if the runways there could handle it but I tell you this if it ever happened when the Concorde was around I bet we would have a few thousand people come out! Imagine that sound during takeoff?  crazy 

Great stuff!  bigthumbsup 
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

flysc

RE: It's Pics Like This That Make Aviation Great!

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:36 am

I just missed a chance to see the Concorde. Back in 2001 it was scheduled to come into CAE my home airport in september but then 11SEP01 happened. The chartered flight never was rescheduled and now it has stopped flying. I guess I will just have to settle for seeing it in a museum one day.
Fly Safely,
Jason D.
I do not fail!!! I succede at finding what does not work!!!

Bobster2

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:59 am

I missed a chance to see a Concorde charter flight at the local airport because I didn't want to use vacation time to leave work. The next day I read in the newspaper that the Concorde came back and made a low pass over the airport after it took off. I'll never forgive myself for missing that opportunity. I was such an idiot.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:50 am

Sorry to hear that guys. I was spotting the other day with my local friends and one pointed out that you should always grab the oppurtunity to see rare planes because you never know when they will be gone. He is so right!

Halophila

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:59 pm

I missed a golden opportunity not only to see it, but to fly in it, in 1994. We were in J on an overbooked flight IAD/LHR, and if we had volunteered our seats, we would have been on concorde the next day, plus they would have put us up in a hotel for the night. I was only 16, and naturally my mother...declined! Because we had a connecting flight to Venice the next day!! Oh, carpe diem!
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

WMUPilot

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:31 pm

The Concorde also made a visit to Western Michigan's College of Aviation in Battle Creek, MI.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel A. Maly
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel A. Maly

JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

Ruirui

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:26 pm

I always ask for a window seat when flying in and out of LHR now...just to see the Concorde parked there. It makes me sad knowing it will not fly, but still gives me a thrill enjoying its beauty. And I regret not one penny of the money I spent on 9 fllights - three of them with my Mom. It was - for me - Simply the Best....
I also miss the evenings in the local pub in Horton drinking a beer and watching her leave for JFK. They were good times too. I miss the roar - even today

CaptainT38

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:35 pm

I remember when one of the Concorde charters visited us here in Wichita, KS. I happended to be parked on top of an overpass that overlooks Runway 19R. It was a dreary day with ceilings running around 300-500ft overcast and to see this big wall of metal descend out of those clouds is something I will never forget!

HEGAN

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:50 pm

We will need years to see a bird like this again.

Nor the A380 nor the B787 will be so popular. Sadly is part of the History.

Agur,
HEGAN
HEGAN: Euskadiko Aeronautikako eta Espazioko Clusterra

justplanecrazy

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:09 pm

Quoting Halophila (Reply 4):

Don't ever let your mother forget it
 banghead 
your pilots today on this 747 flight are captain oliver hardy and assisting will be FO stan laurel.Have a safe flight

jasond

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:55 pm

When my family moved from the UK to Australia I saw three concordes at Heathrow on the day we left. One BA, One AF and the other in the short-lived Singapore livery, all three next to other. It was a magic moment.

Eirjet

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:10 pm

When I was younger I used to spend the summer holidays down with my Granmother in Cork, It was amazing to hear the boom as the Concorde went overhead on another trip to the US. I will miss that greatly.

Eirjet
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

denplanenut

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:24 pm

I only got to see Concorde while it was still carrying pax pulling out of a gate at CDG in July of 02. The entire gate area was filled with onlookers... I could hear a lot of "oohhhs and ahhhs".

I have also seen the ones at the museams in Washington, DC (VA actually), Seatlle, and the one in NYC.

DEN

TPAnx

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:52 pm

Got to see Concorde a couple of times at TPA..another newsie got to fly
(subsonic) from Tampa to Fort Myers. A BA Concorde passed over my home at about three thousand feet-just gorgeous!! Got on board an AF Concorde which brought a charter flight to TPA and interviewed the pilot. Also talked to an AF representative who said the replacement for Concorde was on the
drawing boards.....what happened??
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

Fly2HMO

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:03 am

I've never seen the Concorde fly.  cry   hissyfit 

It was one of the things I wanted to see and fly before I died. When it was grounded and I saw a commemorative video I almost shed into tears. I still have 80 years (I hope) of life left, I'm hoping some very rich person will buy one and fly it again as a private jet in that time frame.

access-air

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:45 am

Sorry about the quality of my Picture...(Concorde at Rockford) It was when I had first started using 35mm film and my camera was a piece of crap...
I actually shot this picture balancing on a light pole pedestal with another person. I held on with my left arm and shot it with my right. Fun eh?
Unfortunately that ended up being the ONLY Concorde that I ever saw in operation. I saw this same Concorde G-BOAB at Dulles at the gates one time a few years later taxiing by in a UAL 747 on my way back to ORD back in 1993. By then it has beem repainted in the Landor colours.
I just wish I had been able to see these wonderful planes on a regular basis...Im sorry but Museums are not where they should be....They should be flying!!!!!!

Cheers, Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

QuestAir

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:00 am

I had could have seen the BA Concorde twice at BOS. The first time, in 1999, it was going to carry golfers up here for some tournament but was delayed at JFK due to technical problems. The second time was when they were retiring it. BA flew G-BOAD into BOS and threw a party. I was invited to go but was later denied because they were serving alcohol there, so it was a 21+ event.

I've seen the Concorde at LHR and can say that, like FLY2HMO, it's one of the things I've wanted to fly on before I die.
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

andz

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:19 am

When I was in school in the 70s Concorde used to come to JNB for hot and high trials, my high school was about 5 miles from JNB as the crow flies and one year during exams she was flying low and loud over the school every 20 minutes or so....wonderful noise!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:48 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 15):
Sorry about the quality of my Picture...(Concorde at Rockford) It was when I had first started using 35mm film and my camera was a piece of crap...

Don't worry Gary that pic is awesome!  bigthumbsup 

Wish I was there, that looked like fun. I love the fact the fence is so short!

kaniksu

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:17 am

I want to go to Seattle and see the Concorde there one of these days. I'll never get to fly in it but I hopefully can at least go inside of it!

AlitaliaMD11

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 am

In my opinion many things make aviation great!  santahat 
No Vueling No Party

brokenrecord

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:31 am

I only saw the Concorde twice, on the same trip in 1994. First was at IAD parked at a gate and I was on my way to Paris, second was in Paris after landing at CDG. Perhaps it was the same plane? :p