VHTAE
Topic Author

Freedom Air To Drop Melbourne

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:57 pm

According to the Freedom Air website they will withdraw operating all services into Melbourne from late March 2006.

Check out www.freedomair.co.nz/en/about-us/news.jsp

VH-TAE.

Halophila

RE: Freedom Air To Drop Melbourne

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:06 pm

Sorry to see the routes fail. Honestly can't imagine they did that much business on their MEL - Palmerston North service. Were airfares on this run priced cheaper than say MEL/CHC, MEL/WLG or MEL/AKL?
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

SthPacific787

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:54 pm

Is this part of the new rationalisation between Air NZ and Freedom? Does this mean Air NZ is going to fly international from Dunedin, Palmerston North and Hamilton?
I'm not at all sure how they are going to blend the two.....
Aussie Based Air NZ 787 fan

Mr AirNZ

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:15 pm

Quoting SthPacific787 (Reply 2):
Is this part of the new rationalisation between Air NZ and Freedom? Does this mean Air NZ is going to fly international from Dunedin, Palmerston North and Hamilton?
I'm not at all sure how they are going to blend the two.....

Details being worked out at the moment. Most of the issues relating to crewing have been sorted. MEL simply didn't have the loads. Pure and simple. Nothing to do with the rationalisation

QANTASforever

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:33 pm

Who can blame them?

Who in their right mind would want to go from NZ to Melbourne? It would be like going from NY to Boston to eat Mcdonalds.  Wink

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

SthPacific787

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:34 pm

Thanks Mr AirNZ. Can't see why anyone would want to go to MEL anyway.

RichardJF

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:02 pm

Should run Dunedin to Fee-gee.

mainMAN

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:11 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 4):
Who in their right mind would want to go from NZ to Melbourne?

Quoting SthPacific787 (Reply 5):
Thanks Mr AirNZ. Can't see why anyone would want to go to MEL anyway.

I don't understand these comments, as a pom. What's the general view of Melbourne in Australia/New Zealand?

6thfreedom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:21 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 7):
I don't understand these comments, as a pom. What's the general view of Melbourne in Australia/New Zealand?

It's called envy main Man.

Melbourne has all the major events, the commonwealth games, the nightlife, pubs, and down-to-earth people. it's cultured, multicultural, and a great place to be.

And with recent comments by terrorists saying that Melbourne and LA were next on their list, Sydneysiders are feeling less loved and less important!  Wink  Wink  Wink  Wink

777ER
Crew

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:39 pm

SJ is dropping all MEL services, HLZ-MEL, PML-MEL and DUD-MEL
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

mainMAN

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:59 pm

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 8):

Melbourne has all the major events, the commonwealth games, the nightlife, pubs, and down-to-earth people. it's cultured, multicultural, and a great place to be.

And with recent comments by terrorists saying that Melbourne and LA were next on their list, Sydneysiders are feeling less loved and less important!

I've been to Melbourne (last time in April) so I know all what a good place it is. We (in Manchester) get this kind of baiting from other parts of the UK, because we're doing so well, growing rapidly, and attracting vast amounts of investment, new business and people.

Is it possible that Freedom Air are dropping MEL because the rest of their network is geared towards people travelling on holiday to northern NSW or the Gold Coast? Far more reasonable explanation IMO

(Edit - someone in the UK's going to have a go at me for this post!)

[Edited 2005-09-15 11:03:35]

stuarts8

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:20 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 10):

Is it possible that Freedom Air are dropping MEL because the rest of their network is geared towards people travelling on holiday to northern NSW or the Gold Coast? Far more reasonable explanation IMO

IMHO, this would be the reason precisely. Most of Freedom`s traffic is directed to Sydney, the Gold Coast and Brisbane so Melbourne would not be a core route for them . and I do have to say Palmerston North to Melbourne is an extremely
peculiar route I have to say. PML Like Hamilton is a provincial Town. One would have thought that was never going to be profitable.
I understand that Pacific Blue is by the end of the Year going to be flying between Auckland and Maroochydoore (hope I have the spelling right!).
So just perhaps Freedom could be thinking along the same lines.

Cheers
Stuarts8

VHTAE
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:45 pm

Lets not forget that Melbourne also has the F1 Grand Prix and the Australian Open grand slam tennis.

VH-TAE in the 'Place To Be' and that is Melbourne.

ZKSUJ

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:58 pm

I remember hearing an SJ flight to MEL with something like 15 POB. I take it thats the reason why.

RichardJF

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:16 am

Quoting Stuarts8 (Reply 11):
I understand that Pacific Blue is by the end of the Year going to be flying between Auckland and Maroochydoore (hope I have the spelling right!).
So just perhaps Freedom could be thinking along the same lines.

I think Maroochydore is still too short 1700m or something however Noosa's great and would be highly saleable in New Zealand.

6thfreedom

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:27 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 13):
I remember hearing an SJ flight to MEL with something like 15 POB. I take it thats the reason why.

Guys, the reason for SJ pulling out in IMO is because there are bigger issues for them to deal with...

jetstar is going into NZ, and therefore SJ will be gearing up for a major battle...

Let's have a look at the stats..
http://www.btre.gov.au/statistics/xls/int/CY04_Tables.xls

for 2004
SJ sectors to SYD - 62,583 pax
SJ sectors to MEL - 62,711 pax.

overall capacity the same for MEL and SYD... 2pw PMR, 2pw HLZ, 2pw DUD..

So if anyone can convince me that the decision was purely operational, please go ahead...

SthPacific787

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:38 am

And with recent comments by terrorists saying that Melbourne and LA were next on their list, Sydneysiders are feeling less loved and less important

Quoting VHTAE (Reply 12):
Lets not forget that Melbourne also has the F1 Grand Prix and the Australian Open grand slam tennis.

VH-TAE in the 'Place To Be' and that is Melbourne

I omitted to mention that those of us living in NSW do not care about Melbourne. It seems that the Victorians feel the need to be better than their northern neighbours. Something about insecurity or little brother syndrome I think.

Anyway, it seems that people from Palmerston North, Dunedin and Hamilton don't care about Melbourne either. Hence the dropping of the services.

aerokiwi

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:39 am

Though I realise this thread is largely joking (the anti-Melbourne sentiment), I have to say that I think it is the best city in the south-west Pacific.

Sydney - just a bigger, flashier version of Auckland. Melbourne - somethig all its own.

I'd say though that the type of traveller going to MEL is generally a higher end tourist (in the money department) and SJ have found that they are just poaching from NZ rather than creating a new sustainable market from the New Zealand provinces.

6thfreedom

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:49 am

Quoting SthPacific787 (Reply 16):
Anyway, it seems that people from Palmerston North, Dunedin and Hamilton don't care about Melbourne either. Hence the dropping of the services.

SthPacific787... it amazes me that you go on making simple minded remarks like this, when the data, yes, real facts and figures, show that MEL and SYD pax numbers to/from PMR, HLZ and DUD are on par.

IMO, SJ is making a big mistake.... why?

because I think they may have done it tough in MEL from Jul 04 and Jul 05, especially when EK was operating to both AKL and CHC. But now that EK has moved the CHC service to operate SYD-CHC, they are going to find the going tough up there as well..

I bet that SJ reduce or suspend SYD services within 12 months...

Mr AirNZ

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:41 am

All these theories being thrown around!

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 13):

I have never seen anything that low on MEL or any other run!

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 18):

SYD has a lot more pax than MEL. SYD will not be suspended. Past figures do not clearly represent the current situation.

[Edited 2005-09-16 04:49:51]

777ER
Crew

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:34 pm

Quoting Stuarts8 (Reply 11):
Most of Freedom`s traffic is directed to Sydney, the Gold Coast and Brisbane so Melbourne would not be a core route for them

Also add the HLZ-NAN, WLG-NAN and CHC-NAN flights

Why should SJ do that when its their best route overall. SJ have added more flights to their SYD operations, biggest increase was HLZ-SYD, when the first A320 entered service.

What will happen to the aircraft that has been free up due to dropping all MEL flights?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

Mr AirNZ

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:45 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 20):
biggest increase was HLZ-SYD, when the first A320 entered service.

Not quite yet. SYD services increase in the coming months. I've heard a few ideas of whats going to happen with the spare aircraft but its not my place to say as yet. Things are in the wind though.

SthPacific787

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:03 pm

SthPacific787... it amazes me that you go on making simple minded remarks like this, when the data, yes, real facts and figures, show that MEL and SYD pax numbers to/from PMR, HLZ and DUD are on p

I'm teasing 6thFreedom so don't take offence. I'm a 'Blow In' here in Sydney and I can't help noticing how the 'Mexicans' south of the border feel the need to demonstrate how good there State is whereas the locals here don't seem to give a toss. I think Melbourne is a good town to visit. There are plenty of flights going there from everywhere to prove it.

I always wondered how small towns like Palmerston North, etc could justify direct flights to MEL or even SYD sometimes.

I'm just waiting to see what the on-going Air NZ plan is going to be for the whole Tasman situation.

6thfreedom

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:15 pm

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 19):
SYD has a lot more pax than MEL. SYD will not be suspended.

really? well the boarding card data provided in Australia shows that the Sydney market is the same size as Melbourne (from SJ's ports of HLZ, PMR and DUD). I think it's unreasonable to measure the overall NZ-SYD market, as these smaller ports are niche markets with limited outbound potential.

Mr AirNZ

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:19 pm

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 23):
really? well the boarding card data provided in Australia shows that the Sydney market is the same size as Melbourne (from SJ's ports of HLZ, PMR and DUD).

As I look into my closet and see my Freedom and Air New Zealand uniforms I will again repeat what I have said. SYD has better loads than MEL. Past statistics do not take into account the full picture nor what will happen in the future (forward bookings etc.) MEL's loads are boosted occasionally by odd ball groups but by far SYD has better average loadings. Just like any statistic extreme values will bump up the mean which may not accurately show the whole picture.

QANTASforever

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:40 am

I find the whole Melbournian psyche utterly fascinating.

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 7):

It really depends on who you ask. If you ask people in Sydney - they'd be: "Mel-what?". If you ask someone in Melbourne they would say: "They're jealous of us because we had the 1957 toilet cleaners association annual general meeting so we're the toilet cleaner capital of the world!"

Above is another example of the curious Melbourne psyche. 6thfreedom, if we were that jealous - we would move there.

Above is another example of a Melbournian listing their achievements to "prove" to us that despite our perception, Melbourne is the capital of the universe.

And with recent comments by terrorists saying that Melbourne and LA were next on their list, Sydneysiders are feeling less loved and less important!

I think the reverse is true - that now Melbournians are boasting that they're a terrorist target.

Quoting VHTAE (Reply 12):

Please note - another example of that curious tradition of listing achievements, noticeably absent from most posts by Sydneysiders. I think it has a lot to do with MEL feeling the need to "prove" its importance.

Quoting SthPacific787 (Reply 16):
I omitted to mention that those of us living in NSW do not care about Melbourne. It seems that the Victorians feel the need to be better than their northern neighbours. Something about insecurity or little brother syndrome I think.

BINGO

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 17):
Sydney - just a bigger, flashier version of Auckland.

No, Auckland is a smaller, less flashy version of Sydney.  Wink

Quoting SthPacific787 (Reply 22):
I can't help noticing how the 'Mexicans' south of the border feel the need to demonstrate how good there State is whereas the locals here don't seem to give a toss.

The Melbourne psyche strikes again!

To the Melbournians here: We know what you've done, we're well aware that you've hosted the tennis and god knows what else - but the simple truth is that we do not care. It's not going to make us like you any more, it's not going to make us jealous - us in Sydney are quite content to live in our brilliantly magical town and let all of you continue to shuffle about in "Dark City".

There's a reason your former Premier suffered depression. Living and working in Melbourne, I think I would too. :P

QFF

6thfreedom

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:35 am

I was debating whether to continue this discussion, and QFF you've done a remarkable job in highlighting what Sydney is all about.

This false ego and arrogance pretty much sums up Sydney.

Take away two man made icons [opera house and bridge], and the place would be a void... Sydney has no soul...

mainMAN

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:36 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 25):
Above is another example of a Melbournian listing their achievements to "prove" to us that despite our perception, Melbourne is the capital of the universe.

Are you a little bit afraid that Melbourne might be stealing Sydney's thunder?

To an outsider, Melbourne is the sporting, manufacturing, cultural and lifestyle capital of Australia. Sydney may well be pretty, but to most people in the UK, there's very little between them.

mainMAN

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:41 am

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 26):

Take away two man made icons [opera house and bridge], and the place would be a void... Sydney has no soul...

Thanks for the info
 Wink

6thfreedom

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:44 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 25):
There's a reason your former Premier suffered depression. Living and working in Melbourne, I think I would too. :P

LOL... The funny thing is when former Premier Jeff Kennett was in power, more Sydneysiders knew his name than their own Premier...

PS. QFF, making a joke out of someone's mental illness is stooping pretty low. Perhaps we should add IGNORANCE to the list I provided earlier!

SthPacific787

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:36 pm

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 29):

LOL... The funny thing is when former Premier Jeff Kennett was in power, more Sydneysiders knew his name than their own Premier...

PS. QFF, making a joke out of someone's mental illness is stooping pretty low. Perhaps we should add IGNORANCE to the list I provided earlier!

Give it up 6th. No one cares... anywhere. No just here in warm sunny Sydney.

QANTASforever

Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:39 pm

I know. Isn't it fantastic!

We have a vibrant arts scene, that beautiful harbour, a beach culture - there's more to us than the harbour bridge and Opera House. I assure you that we'd be just fine without them.

Curious that Melbourne has a lack of internationally recognised landmarks - I've always thought MEL should make it a priority to build one.

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 27):
Are you a little bit afraid that Melbourne might be stealing Sydney's thunder?

Heh - they've been trying for something like 150 years.

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 29):

You a filthy Lib are you?  Wink

Seriously though, the joke was about Melbourne not Jeff's mental illness. Although as someone who has been depressed in the past I can say it is healthy to laugh about it. He's fine now anyway.

QFF

P.S: I hope you guys notice that my tongue is firmly in my cheek.

dj738

Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:13 am

Last time I checked, this was an AVIATION FORUM! Please discuss your favourite / least favourite cities somewhere else.

mainMAN

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:25 am

Quoting DJ738 (Reply 32):
Last time I checked, this was an AVIATION FORUM! Please discuss your favourite / least favourite cities somewhere else.

Why? Is Christchurch the Melbourne of New Zealand? Now there's a question
 Wink

6thfreedom

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:27 am

Quoting DJ738 (Reply 32):

... and the last time I checked, much of civil aviation had to do with flying people between cities.

DJ738 - tourism, business and trade are the backbone of aviation. These occur between cities.

Do people travel to CHC for the destination, or is it to go to CHC airport, or fly on a certain aircraft!??

PITrules

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:26 am

Kind of funny to watch this little friendly rivalry. I'd be happy to live in either!
FLYi

kesflyer

Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:41 pm

Quoting RichardJF (Reply 14):
I think Maroochydore is still too short 1700m or something however Noosa's great and would be highly saleable in New Zealand.

Might be short, but have flown there from MEL on a QF 767 around 9 years ago. Not sure what is flown there now apart from QF 737s and DJ 717 / A320s.

Who would want to fly to MEL ?? Actually should be the other way around. Who from MEL would want to fly to Palmerston North or Hamilton ???

Only joking, however both of these airports are tiny and not too far from either Auckland or Wellington.

dj738

Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:37 pm

Quoting Kesflyer (Reply 36):
Might be short, but have flown there from MEL on a QF 767 around 9 years ago. Not sure what is flown there now apart from QF 737s and DJ 717 / A320s.

...I think you mean **JQ** 717 / A320s, as DJ fly only 737 -800 and -700s...

fuffla

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:08 pm

Would CNS have a resonable market for New Zealanders?. A couple of times a week, AKL-CNS and maybe CHC-CNS would be resonable IMO. Although I am probably wrong.
This trans-tasman simplification my ANZ is becoming a very complicated process. I cannot wait to see how it turns out for them, and whether they become profitable on there routes again. All in good time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos