gayrugbyman

Manchester (MAN) News 2

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:35 am

The previous thread was getting a bit too big for dial-up users to download, so have decided to start a new thread, same topic. As before, it's all about Manchester and what's going on there.

Orion737

RE: Manchester (MAN) News 2

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:46 am

Thanks it was getting a bit long that thread. Hope your still keeping an eye out for them flying lads in their tight trousers squeezing their little arses up and down them aisles Big grin

gayrugbyman

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:04 am

Now would I do that?!

col

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:57 am

Have BMI reinstated the IAD route with E145's?
What is happening over at CO with the winter Scheds, still 1 x 762 and 1 x 757?

Demoose

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:16 am

CO is looking like a 1 x 764 daily for the winter and changing to 2 x 752's daily for summer '06.

Mark

[Edited 2005-09-15 23:18:18]
Take a ride...fly across the sky

jetset7e7

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:21 am

CO swapped the 762 and 752 around on the schedules on some days in the past 2 Weeks, e.g. CO20/21 is normally a 762, but recently the 762 has been doing CO100/101 with the 752 doing CO20/21.
Seems to be back to normal this week. CO20/21 762, CO100/101 752

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

gayrugbyman

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:21 pm

Air Berlin are to commence a twice daily Manchester to Stansted service this winter. In direct competition with Eastern Airways.

Should be good for connecting to Ryainair network.

gkirk

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:25 pm

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 6):

No connections offered as they are rival airlines. Howerer, you may be able to connect onto some AB flights from STN.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

gayrugbyman

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:28 pm

Oh please, when I say connect on to, I mean fly to Stansted and then check=in again to another service....duh!

Candid76

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:37 pm

Don't hold your breath on Air Berlin. They haven't exactly shown great commitment to their existing MAN routes, they don't hold the slots they need at either end and in any case to feed their STN network they would need to leave MAN at the crack of dawn.

Remember bmi's slot applications for BRU, CDG etc. a couple of years ago? It didn't turn out to be anything like that in reality.

gkirk

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:42 pm

MAN starting to fall behind STN in the pax numbers passing through the airport.

mhodgson

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:47 pm

I think a MAN-STN service could be popular - I'm surprised U2/FR haven't started one yet to connect to their much larger networks from STN not served from LPL
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Candid76

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:54 pm

MAN-STN is popular and is served by frequent, convenient flights for the business community. Without proper interline agreements, anyone who flies on a potential LCC service on the route in order to connect is taking a gamble, because when it all goes pear shaped (for whatever reason) and you get to STN late, you might as well tear up your flight confirmation and throw it in the bin. You would be better off just flying from MAN or LPL to your end destination. As far as STN as an end destination is concerned, it's very handy if you're going to the City or the East End but the business market to/from MAN tends to come from Cambridge rather than London. If there was a pile of gold for a LCC on the route, it would have been done by now (at least FR or EZY would have done STN-LPL). You also have the train to contend with, a big problem for London, but not for Cambridge.

by738

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:57 pm

I find BA and BMI very expensive, and would love JET2 to offer MAN-GLA
Any chance ?

7LBAC111

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:22 pm

Quoting Candid76 (Reply 12):
You would be better off just flying from MAN or LPL to your end destination.

Of course, but easier saud than done. The options available to the MAN/LPL catchment are a fraction of those available to the STN catchment. Unfortunately.

Quoting BY738 (Reply 13):
I find BA and BMI very expensive

At the lst minute yes, but book a few weeks in advance and both are more than reasonable. IMO.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

gayrugbyman

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:47 pm

Does anyone know if it is rue that BA and Lufthansa are to install self-service check-in machines at Manchester Piccadilly station, between platforms 10 and 11?

7LBAC111

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:06 am

Has it been mentioned before that Icelandair are starting service from MAN-KEF this winter???

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

gayrugbyman

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:30 am

Yes and the timings for transatlantic connections are rubbish, obviously they are not looking to capitalize on that traffic!

matt24wigan

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:26 am

hello all. is T2 airside the same as when i was last there in january?
matt from wigan in lancashire

Demoose

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:33 am

Just an update on passenger figures. In the 12 months up to the end of August 2005 the airport handled just short of 22.5 million passengers.

Quoting Matt24wigan (Reply 18):
hello all. is T2 airside the same as when i was last there in january?

Yes, airside is the same although security has moved slightly. When T2 Phase 2 work begins the whole internal arrangement of the main building will change, security is moving up to the mezzanine level, and once passing through this you will then have to go back down a level into airside, its a ludicrous idea which goes against all the principles of good airport design.

Mark

[Edited 2005-09-16 19:34:58]

nijltje

Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:37 am

What about some competition on the BRU-MAN route, SN/BA are so expensive!
Also SN/BA have a flight SN2173 @9.25 and 15 min later flight BA5421? Why 2 flights in 15 min to MAN?

mainMAN

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:17 am

Great stuff, a new thread....
Been trying to think of something to say Big grin

Quoting Demoose (Reply 19):
When T2 Phase 2 work begins the whole internal arrangement of the main building will change, security is moving up to the mezzanine level, and once passing through this you will then have to go back down a level into airside, its a ludicrous idea which goes against all the principles of good airport design.

I'm beginning to regret that T2 was ever built in the first place. I now have a vision of a re-modelled T1, something along the lines of Schiphol. This would have taken a major amount of work and disruption. It might even have been more expensive.

Quoting Demoose (Reply 4):
CO is looking like a 1 x 764 daily for the winter and changing to 2 x 752's daily for summer '06.

I hope it's not 2 x 752s for next summer. That'd mean a lot less freight capacity.

Air Berlin are to commence a twice daily Manchester to Stansted service this winter

I was surprised when I first read this, but it makes sense. Eastern Airways is very expensive, and there is proven demand between Manchester and Stansted. This route started as Suckling Airways to Ipswich, then Cambridge, and finally was replaced by BA and then Eastern to STN (I think). This part of England is booming (Cambs, Essex and Suffolk), it's inaccessible by rail from the NW, and inconvenient to get to from LHR, LGW or even LCY. I hope it's successful.

I'm sure it is, but they can count me out...  Smile

Capital146

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:39 am

Air Berlin are to commence a twice daily Manchester to Stansted service this winter.

You make this sound definate, but there is nothing at all mentioned on the AB website. Is this a little bit of accurate inside information you have delivered us?  scratchchin  Would be an interesting (and cheap) new route if it comes to fruition.

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 21):
I was surprised when I first read this, but it makes sense. Eastern Airways is very expensive, and there is proven demand between Manchester and Stansted. This route started as Suckling Airways to Ipswich, then Cambridge, and finally was replaced by BA and then Eastern to STN (I think). This part of England is booming (Cambs, Essex and Suffolk), it's inaccessible by rail from the NW, and inconvenient to get to from LHR, LGW or even LCY. I hope it's successful.

Well, there's a proven demand with 30-seat aircraft types, but operating B737's would be a whole different ball game. However, lower fares would likely stimulate the market and I'm quite sure a large number of people would use such a service to connect at STN to other AB/FR/U2 flights, despite the risks, such is the vast number of affordable destinations on offer at STN which are not available from northern England.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

jetset7e7

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:40 am

This part of England is booming (Cambs, Essex and Suffolk), it's inaccessible by rail from the NW, and inconvenient to get to from LHR, LGW or even LCY. I hope it's successful.

Since when has it been inaccessible by rail from the North West?
Liverpool Lime Street to London Stansted Airport runs on most days

If that Air Berlin route does happen, I'd give it a try, Eastern are a bit expensive, I know you get champagne, but on a 737 it won't be as long, noisy, or bumpy.

Mark

whitehatter

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:41 am

To completely unfounded rumours again  Wink

I've seen some interesting paper recently showing a possible Terminal 4 development being tossed about, with the lowcosts like LS,WW and FR etc in mind. Basically a cowshed arrangement built near to 24R/06L with the old rail spur which was built for the runway work being extended into a new terminal. It would give the lowcosts an ideal location for fast runway access once runway 2 is properly doubled with a full length taxiway.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

jetset7e7

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:46 am

never happen!

Mark

whitehatter

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:56 am

Quoting Jetset7E7 (Reply 23):

which you cannot have used or you wouldn't make that comment. It is one of the most miserable, boring and crammed train services in Britain. Stops all over the place and takes literally hours.

For all the good it is (and frequently delayed) it is no use to a traveller connecting to a flight.

Quoting Jetset7E7 (Reply 25):
never happen!

Really? They said the same about Coventry...

jetset7e7

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:06 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 26):
Really? They said the same about Coventry...

Five reasons why..

One.. The taxiway for 24L/06R will take years to build, as the existing taxiway needs replacing due to cracks found recently.

Two.. If they are doing maintenance on runway 24R, they can't use 24L for landings as this would be in way.

Three... The ILS for 06R is located there.

Four... MAN have said they can accommodate predicted passenger growth by extending existing terminals, no new terminal to be built before 2015.

Five.. CVT is a small airport, it only has one runway, and basically has nothing to do with MAN, as its not a touch on it

Mark

whitehatter

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:16 am

All complete rubbish.

I suggest you get a map of MAN and look at what is being proposed first.

Point one...replacing a taxiway which doesn't exist?

Point two...garbage. The same problem exists if 6R is used for landings. Otherwise the airport has to close.

Three..who said it would be at the end of the runway? Strange place to put a terminal

Four...the proposals are just that, proposals. Terminal 4 is already being considered in a number of formats and locations

Five...you really are clueless. The CVT point was that people said opening it to passengers and building facilities would never happen, but it did. Get it?

jetset7e7

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:24 am

FACT: Runway 2 taxiways will need replacing

This interesting paper that you seen this on? Did you smoke it afterwards maybe?

Well done Coventry they have passenger flights now, its got nothing to do with this. Manchester already has 3 terminals, they have room to expand on existing land north of the runways rather than go ploughing through Styal.

Mark

mainMAN

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:08 am

Quoting Capital146 (Reply 22):
Well, there's a proven demand with 30-seat aircraft types, but operating B737's would be a whole different ball game. However, lower fares would likely stimulate the market and I'm quite sure a large number of people would use such a service to connect at STN to other AB/FR/U2 flights, despite the risks, such is the vast number of affordable destinations on offer at STN which are not available from northern England.

Precisely, and AB will be attempting to replicate Jet2's services to LGW, attracting new passengers and hoping to poach BA, BD and VG O/D passengers bound for London. There are masses of these.

Quoting Jetset7E7 (Reply 23):

I'm well aware that you can spend four and a half hours on a 'Central Trains' journey from Manchester or Liverpool to Cambridge and Stansted Airport. You usually have to change in Birmingham, often Nottingham and sometimes Peterborough too. I'm also very experienced in spending five hours (minimum) negotiating the M6, A50, M1, M25 and finally the M11 in a murderous attempt to get to Harlow.

This is not what I call accessible. You miss the point.

BAxMAN

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:28 am

I'm not sure if there is much to be gained flying MAN-LON point-to-point. Sure, there is a fair amount of demand as evidenced by VG and LS flights. More entrants would cause, I think, a good bit of over capacity. People travelling from Manchester to London will usually look to travel with Virgin. By train.

For BA and BD, the MAN-LON flights are primarily for connecting passengers at LHR/LGW. There are, undeniably, a lot of business folk who are willing to pay the full whack for a full fare MAN-LON flight but these folk would not be seen dead flying anyone other than BA, BD or VG. A 'businessman' flying on Jet2 will merely be the office junior.

You might be over-estimating the number of people bound for the Cambridge/Essex/Norfolk areas by flying into STN. I think any STN bound passengers would be hopping straight on to a FR flight.
I need to get laid

gayrugbyman

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:59 pm

I understand that the local area bosses of Pret a Manger were sniffing around Terminal 1 on Friday, looking for a location for an outlet at MAN. Would be a welcome addition to the appalling catering facilities for passengers and more importantly, us staff! A friend told me that the ITV1 programme Package Holiday Nightmares did a survey of how clean Manchester Airprot's sandwich bars were, and it wasn;t good! Did anyone see this programme? Stansted was also targeted to, I believe.

BigOrange

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:03 pm

Quoting Jetset7E7 (Reply 29):
Manchester already has 3 terminals, they have room to expand on existing land north of the runways rather than go ploughing through Styal.

Manchester as far as I am concerned only has 2 terminals. Terminal 3 is basically an addition to T1, it's only T3 because MAN wants to make it look like it's a better airport because it has 3 terminals.

Wasn't the rail line supposed to go all the way around to the cargo sheds, or be continued to the cargo sheds via a tunnel from the current station?

I doubt we'll ever see the main LCC's i.e. EZY and RYR in MAN, due to the runway congestion, unless London Airways pull out completely.

What bright spark ever decided that 24L should be the designated take off runway anyway? It should have been set up like Frankfurt, where you don't seem to have the problems that MAN do.

groobster

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:48 pm

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 32):
A friend told me that the ITV1 programme Package Holiday Nightmares did a survey of how clean Manchester Airprot's sandwich bars were, and it wasn;t good! Did anyone see this programme? Stansted was also targeted to, I believe.

Manchester, Stanstead and Heathrow were all chosen, and none of them came out very well if I recall.

They also did Nice, Malaga and Faro, which fared significantly better in terms of the amount of deadly bugs that the foodstuffs contained!

Thankfully, I rarely have the need to eat at an airport.
Next flights: MAN-DXB-BKK-DXB-MAN

gkirk

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:51 pm

Quoting Jetset7E7 (Reply 27):
Two.. If they are doing maintenance on runway 24R, they can't use 24L for landings as this would be in way.

T'is false. Landings can and have taken place on 24L. Aircraft land, go to the end of 24L and onto that short taxiway bit, and another 2 or 3 planes land and they all come back down the runway at the same time, whilst other a/c are put in a stack.

Demoose

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:05 am

What Jetset7E7 meant was if a terminal was built to the south where the now redundant railway spur is, would mean it would be right next to the 24L threshold. If a south terminal was to be built you would have to purchase a hefty amount of rural cheshire.

MAN do use it for landings occasionally but that can only be done by severely reducing the movements and would cause huge knock on delays if it was used for an extended length of time during the day. 24L doesn't have an ILS installed either. Once the parallel taxiway is built and and ILS installed on 24L there will be a bit more flexibility with runway useage at MAN.

JRadier

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:07 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 35):

T'is false. Landings can and have taken place on 24L. Aircraft land, go to the end of 24L and onto that short taxiway bit, and another 2 or 3 planes land and they all come back down the runway at the same time, whilst other a/c are put in a stack.

not exactly economical, but it works. Expect horrible delays and cancellations tho  Wink
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

Candid76

Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:00 am

This route started as Suckling Airways to Ipswich, then Cambridge, and finally was replaced by BA and then Eastern to STN (I think).

Just to clarify this, the Suckling service operated to Cambridge and then was switched to Norwich. When they dropped NWI, Eastern took it over. The STN route was taken over from BA Citiexpress and is not the former Suckling route.

mainMAN

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 33):
Manchester as far as I am concerned only has 2 terminals. Terminal 3 is basically an addition to T1, it's only T3 because MAN wants to make it look like it's a better airport because it has 3 terminals.

Not true. MAN plainly has 3 terminals. The 3rd developed from being the domestic pier of the first, through to being a completely separate facility, with its own car park, check-in desks, arrivals, departures etc.

When is a terminal not a terminal?

It was renamed T3 to stop confusion caused by T1a and T1b, when it ceased to be a mere adjunct to T1a. It has nothing to do with MAN wanting to look better.

Quoting Candid76 (Reply 38):
Just to clarify this, the Suckling service operated to Cambridge and then was switched to Norwich. When they dropped NWI, Eastern took it over. The STN route was taken over from BA Citiexpress and is not the former Suckling route.

I was talking about a kind of generic development of this service to the Stansted/Cambridge area, although I'd forgotten about NWI. I'm pretty sure Sucking served Ipswich first though. I may be wrong, but that's my memory for you!

David_itl

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:21 am

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 39):
I'm pretty sure Sucking served Ipswich first though. I may be wrong, but that's my memory for you!

Ipswich then to an RAF base (Wattisham I think) then Cambridge. Mustn't forget their sterling efforts pitting their Do228s against 737s of BA and KLM on the AMS run!

It was renamed T3 to stop confusion caused by T1a and T1b

I'm sure it was T1 and T1BA before someone at MAN realised that you'd see more non-BA aircraft at the BA terminal than actual BA aircraft.

David

col

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:55 am

I doubt we'll ever see the main LCC's i.e. EZY and RYR in MAN, due to the runway congestion, unless London Airways pull out completely.

Quite right. The Airport should be looking for BA or BMI to take the airport seriously, or loose their slots. Look at the routes where LCC's have taken over and see the PAX numbers increasing. MAN will restict its own growth if it continues to allow RJ on all the old main line services. You just have to look at AMS, BA went from 737 to 145's. All Jet2 needed to do was to put the 737 back, and BA couldn't compete. Gradually, but quicker, this needs to be done on all BA/BMI routes.

mainMAN

Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:17 am

Quoting Col (Reply 41):
Gradually, but quicker, this needs to be done on all BA/BMI routes.

It's looking increasingly likely that BA/BD don't have the will to compete; it's a lot easier to retreat into the relative safety and almost certainty that is LHR. They both have a complete lack of imagination where anywhere else is concerned.

BA's core markets from MAN (and BHX) can be adequately covered by AF, LH, SN, AZ etc. BA's raison d'etre is diminishing fast.

gayrugbyman

Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:29 am

Why was there a Wizz crew in the staff canteen at T1 MAN this morning? Where were they flying to?

matt24wigan

Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:11 am

terminal 2 still isnt very nice though is it? tired look, worn seats upstairs and dirty cafes landside
matt from wigan in lancashire

gayrugbyman

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:40 am

Yake a wander round T1 airside! Absolutely disgusting! Filthy seats, carpets, dirty windows, poor choice of food outlets, crappy executive lounges....need I go on?

Billy

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:39 pm

Wonder if DL will announce a MAN-JFK? Nice to see them heading for CPH. Looks like a new UK route is being held back til last.

speedbird19

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:49 pm

Quoting Matt24wigan (Reply 44):
terminal 2 still isnt very nice though is it? tired look, worn seats upstairs and dirty cafes landside

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 45):
Yake a wander round T1 airside! Absolutely disgusting! Filthy seats, carpets, dirty windows, poor choice of food outlets, crappy executive lounges....need I go on?

I've never had any complaints...MAN is a good airport, Terminal 1 has been recently refurbished too, and they're on about doing T2, but like I say I've never had any complaints  Smile
Planeprincess

Candid76

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:43 pm

When is a terminal not a terminal?

Interesting question. I think the Americans have it right on this one - they are better defined as seperate concourses within a terminal.

Or unless Jet2 struggle, and sell out to EZY. I wouldn't be surprised.

On another note, nice to see a Northwest DC10 just arrive!

bhxdtw

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:41 pm

Quoting Candid76 (Reply 48):
On another note, nice to see a Northwest DC10 just arrive!

NW arnt serving MAN are they ?!!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos