afay1

Woman Gives Birth On Aeroflot (strange Story)

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:49 am

According to tomorrow's Moscow Times a woman gave birth onboard an Aeroflot 767-300ER on a SVO-LAX flight (7 hours into it). Both the doctors onboard (unknown nationalities) refused to help and the flight attendants acted as midwives. The baby was born healthy and without complications, and the woman carried the newborn boy off herself upon arrival in LAX. According to the article, the pilot asked to divert to a Canadian military base, but was told the 767 was too large, so the pilot opted to continue to LAX as the baby appeared healthy. The father met them at the gate...

This begs several questions:

1. Why did the doctors refuse assistance? They are protected by good samaritan laws at the very least if they were not American citizens. My father is a family doctor and he has always said his worst fear on an airplane is hearing the "is there a doctor aboard" call as he doesn't want to be put in the position of diverting a flight without knowing anything about the patient really. But, giving birth isn't something that one can't ignore...

2. Why, if whatever airfield they contacted refused them landing, did they continue on to LAX? Couldn't all sorts of complications have arisen despite healthy appearances. I realize humans have been succesfully giving unaided birth since the beginning of our species, but still...

Nothing like Russian IFE!

brokenrecord

RE: Woman Gives Birth On Aeroflot (strange Story)

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:05 am

Not all doctors are qualified to give birth. Just a thought...

afay1

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:19 am

At least for doctors in the US, they all have to do residency programs in hospitals and are at least generally much more qualified than a layperson with first aid training. Other countries do not neccesarily have the same system...

brokenrecord

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:23 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 2):
At least for doctors in the US, they all have to do residency programs in hospitals and are at least generally much more qualified than a layperson with first aid training. Other countries do not neccesarily have the same system...

Agreed. However, I would not call delivering a baby "first aid"... LOL

I would see it being very likely the doctors on board were not from the US, or were perhaps along the lines of a Leslie Nielsen in "Airplane!" type doctor.

"Surely you can't be serious!" "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Bohlman

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:47 am

Quoting Brokenrecord (Reply 1):

And the flight attendants are?!?
I'm not pro-Boeing or pro-Airbus, I'm pro-crew all the way.

hz747300

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:01 pm

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2005/09/16/016.html

The baby will obviously be able to claim Russian citizenship, but would it be considered an American or Canadian additionally?

Interesting story - seemingly non-event as I cannot find the story anywhere else... Love the last line of the story:

The airline official said childbirth was an extremely rare occurrence on Aeroflot flights.
Keep on truckin'...

afay1

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:29 pm

I cannot find the link at the moment, but last year another baby was born on an internal transcontinetal flight on Aeroflot as well. I believe it was Moscow-Novosibirsk...

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:49 pm

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 6):
The baby will obviously be able to claim Russian citizenship, but would it be considered an American or Canadian additionally?

Haha, since the baby was born probably in international airspace, then he should have an international citizenship  cheerful ... But seriously, if a baby is born in the middle of the Atlantic, which citizenship should he claim? The airline's or the city where the flight departed?
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

RedChili

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:22 pm

Not all doctors are qualified to give birth.

No, only the female doctors are. No male doctor has ever, according to my belief, given birth!  Smile

Quoting 797 (Reply 8):
But seriously, if a baby is born in the middle of the Atlantic, which citizenship should he claim? The airline's or the city where the flight departed?

It depends on the laws of the countries involved. For Norwegians, the law says that the baby will get Norwegian citizenship if the mother is Norwegian, or if the father is Norwegian and is married to the mother. Where the baby is born doesn't matter.
Top 10 airplanes: B737, T154, B747, IL96, T134, IL62, A320, MD80, B757, DC10

backfire

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:42 pm

Quoting Afay1 (Thread starter):
Why did the doctors refuse assistance?

If the flight was anywhere near the USA they were probably afraid of getting sued for something.  Yeah sure

Geo772

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:44 pm

Don't quote me on this but I thinking back to a television series about Miami airport a while ago the baby is able to get American citizenship but this does not confer right of residency to its parents.
Flown on A300B4/600,A319/20/21,A332/3,A343,B727,B732/3/4/5/6/7/8,B741/2/4,B752/3,B762/3,B772/3,DC10,L1011-200,VC10,MD80,

Timmytour

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:51 pm

Quoting RedChili (Reply 9):
It depends on the laws of the countries involved. For Norwegians, the law says that the baby will get Norwegian citizenship if the mother is Norwegian, or if the father is Norwegian and is married to the mother. Where the baby is born doesn't matter.

So presumably someone with a Norwegian great great great grandmother could still claim norwegian citizenship wherever they were born and lived, as long as the line of mothers kept claiming it?

Quoting RedChili (Reply 9):
No, only the female doctors are. No male doctor has ever, according to my belief, given birth!

Nice one  Smile

RedChili

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:02 pm

Quoting Timmytour (Reply 12):
So presumably someone with a Norwegian great great great grandmother could still claim norwegian citizenship wherever they were born and lived, as long as the line of mothers kept claiming it?

Well, this could turn out to be a little bit tricky. You see, when you're 21 years old you COULD lose your citizenship if you have never lived in Norway. You can make an application at the nearest Norwegian embassy to keep the citizenship, and at the interview, you need to convince the consul that you still have a relationship with Norway, so you still want to keep it. If the Norwegian citizenship is your only citizenship, then I believe that it's a very good chance that they will allow you to keep it.

But if you never lived in Norway, and you're still allowed to keep your citizenship, and you then get a daughter or a son who also do not live in Norway before the age of 21, then my guess is that that person will not be allowed to keep it. But that's just my guess.

My son was born in Sweden, and we're living in Sweden now, and for these exact reasons I'm considering whether we should go and live in Norway for a year or two before he turns 21.

Buyantukhaa

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:08 pm

This begs several questions:

And one more: why was this woman allowed to board? Most airlines have a policy that when a woman is into the Xth month of pregnancy, she cannot board.

Three options:
1. The birth was premature. Medical assistance would have been necessary - thus option unlikely.
2. Woman didn't seem that far into pregnancy and was mistakenly allowed to board. Oops.
3. Aeroflot has no policy on pregnant pax. Oops!
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

Sabena332

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:13 pm

Quoting 797 (Reply 8):
But seriously, if a baby is born in the middle of the Atlantic, which citizenship should he claim?

I can imagine that the baby will get the citizenship of the country where the plane is registered in, in this case Bermuda (all Aeroflot Airbus and Boeing planes are registered in Bermuda). The official place of birth is "international airspace".

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

afay1

Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:38 pm

Never thought of that, so it could end up being a Russian/Canadian/Bermudan/American baby? We have no idea what the nationality of the parents is despite their names as well. Also, as I said before, anyone who helps out in a medical emergency is "usually" protected by good samaritan laws to obviate hesitation based on our sue-happy culture.

In anycase, Aeroflot has a press-release on the subject (so far in Russian only)...It states the last birth on board was in 2001 on an SVO-SIN flight.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:33 am

Wow, that would be a cool story to tell when this child grows up: I was born at 35000ft!!!  bouncy 
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

N1120A

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:59 am

All doctors are trained in delivering babies, at least in the US

Quoting Backfire (Reply 10):
If the flight was anywhere near the USA they were probably afraid of getting sued for something.

Yeah, sued for being a Brit who makes really bad assumptions, especially given the idiotic nature of many British laws

Quoting Geo772 (Reply 11):
Don't quote me on this but I thinking back to a television series about Miami airport a while ago the baby is able to get American citizenship but this does not confer right of residency to its parents.

If the child is born in an airport in the US, they are most definately automatic US citizens. Also, the child can apply for green cards for their parents.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

mainMAN

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:45 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 18):
If the flight was anywhere near the USA they were probably afraid of getting sued for something.

Yeah, sued for being a Brit who makes really bad assumptions, especially given the idiotic nature of many British laws

Would you like to elaborate? Aimez-vous elaborer?

7of9

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:50 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):
If the child is born in an airport in the US, they are most definately automatic US citizens. Also, the child can apply for green cards for their parents.

No they can't apply for a green card for their parents until they are 21 yrs old and that is according to immigration laws.EVEN THOUGH THE CHILD IS A US CITIZEN.

abrelosojos

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:55 am

Quoting Timmytour (Reply 11):

= Probably not given Norway's record of tolerance and acceptance of outsiders.
Live, and let live.

omoo

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:03 am

Why did the doctors refuse assistance? They are protected by good samaritan laws at the very least if they were not American citizens. My father is a family doctor and he has always said his worst fear on an airplane is hearing the "is there a doctor aboard" call as he doesn't want to be put in the position of diverting a flight without knowing anything about the patient really. But, giving birth isn't something that one can't ignore...

Probably because of Lawsuits. These days you can get sued for anything, and their malpractice insurance probably covers certain states or cities that they practice in.
Fly Air Popobawa

Fly2HMO

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:05 am

If a baby is born in a plane, the same rule applies if it was born in a ship, the baby's nationality would be of whatever flag the plane is wearing, even if it is in a made in USA 767 flying over Canada, and registered in bermuda, the baby "should" be russian. But mostly it's up to the parents and the national laws that would apply to that specific plane. Most countries have this rule, I've read it myself on the Mexican constitution, and I read it some time in some travel related magazine a while ago.

twocents 

Sabena332

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:14 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 22):
If a baby is born in a plane, the same rule applies if it was born in a ship, the baby's nationality would be of whatever flag the plane is wearing, even if it is in a made in USA 767 flying over Canada, and registered in bermuda, the baby "should" be russian.

Why should it be Russian?

The plane is wearing a Bermudan flag! It does not mean that, when "Aeroflot" is painted on the plane - that it is automatically Russian.

The baby was born in a plane which was flying in international airspace and which is registered in Bermuda, I see no point to give a Russian passport here.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, I am curious what will happen in this case!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

nycfuturepilot

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:58 am

Both the doctors onboard (unknown nationalities) refused to help

Here in the US, OB-GYNs (they're the doctors who usually deliver babies incase you arent familiar) have the highest malpractice insurance rates because they are sued more than any other type of doctor. Had they offered assistance to the woman and there was a still birth, prolapsed cord or any other type of birth problem then they would have been sued like crazy and it all would have been put on their license and their malpractice insurance. Also, if these men were not ob-gyns then they probably have never delivered a child so would be more likely to mess up. I am an EMT and am trained in delivering children and would have had i been on the flight but i understand why these doctors did not want to do it.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

AirPacific747

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:01 am

I have a friend from Alaska who was born in a plane aswell.. his birth place is the place the plane landed (anchorage)
well that is pretty cool!

hjulicher

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:13 am

I can vouch for this one since almost the exact same thing happened to me. The child will be a dual citizen of the United States and the Russian Federation, unless the parents opt to choose only one citizenship (drop the Russian one). I am also a dual citizen of the Russian federation and United States. In the press release from aeroflot, the mother is russian and the husband is american. In this case, the child can claim both citizenships. My father is american and my mother was russian when I was born, and I was born in the former USSR (prematurely by two months) and thus came out in Russia rather than the hospital my parents chose in Michigan. I still have my dual citizenship, and I expect that this child too will be able to hold dual citizenship.
LH 442

MarshalN

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:20 am

You know, some of the FAs might have had babies themselves, so they could actually be experienced at least in giving birth and thus sort of know what to do to help the mom.

RedChili

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:42 pm

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 13):
3. Aeroflot has no policy on pregnant pax. Oops!

They have. If the expected delivery is less than four weeks away, you need a doctor's written consent to fly.

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 13):
2. Woman didn't seem that far into pregnancy and was mistakenly allowed to board. Oops.

Maybe the doctors made an error concering how far she actually was into the pregnancy, or maybe they thought that she would not have any problems on this flight.

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 15):
it could end up being a Russian/Canadian/Bermudan/American baby? W

I doubt that the parents are even aware that the plane was registered in Bermuda, so they will probably never contact any Bermudan embassy to claim Bermudan citizenship for their child!

The mother was Russian and the father a US citizen. I don't know exactly what the US laws say about this, but my guess is that since the plane landed in LA after the birth, that the child will get American citizenship based on the US being the first country the child came to.

Russian law says that the baby will get Russian citizenship if the mother is Russian and the baby is born in Russia, or if the mother is Russian and the baby is born outside of Russia and does not get any other citizenship.

Do the Russian authorities consider an Aeroflot plane, registered in Bermuda, flying in international airspace to be Russian territory? I don't know. If they do consider it to be Russian territory, then the child will get Russian citizenship. If they do not consider it to be Russian territory, then he will only become Russian if the US refuse him citizenship.

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 20):
= Probably not given Norway's record of tolerance and acceptance of outsiders.

Thank you for your kind words about Norway. I see that you are from South America. I think you should talk to my friend about this. He is from Chile, but had to flee during the Pinochet regime, and came to Norway where he got citizenship and all kinds of benefits. He was better treated in Norway than in his own home country.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 23):
The plane is wearing a Bermudan flag!

Although it's registered in Bermuda, it carries the Russian flag, and not the Bermuda flag.

Quoting Hjulicher (Reply 26):
In the press release from aeroflot, the mother is russian and the husband is american. In this case, the child can claim both citizenships. My father is american and my mother was russian when I was born, and I was born in the former USSR (prematurely by two months) and thus came out in Russia rather than the hospital my parents chose in Michigan. I still have my dual citizenship, and I expect that this child too will be able to hold dual citizenship.

You were born in Russia. See above for details.

backfire

Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:58 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):

Although you haven't quite grasped it yet, my French friend, you can look forward to appreciating this cultural gem we call 'sarcasm' when you develop a sense of humour. Besides, you could have had a say in improving our 'idiotic' laws, if you'd won at Waterloo.

Starlionblue

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:58 pm

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 5):

Quoting 797 (Reply 7):
Haha, since the baby was born probably in international airspace, then he should have an international citizenship cheerful ... But seriously, if a baby is born in the middle of the Atlantic, which citizenship should he claim? The airline's or the city where the flight departed?

Just to clear things out.
- Most countries have laws that state the child gets the nationality(ies) of the parents.
- Many countries also have laws that state that if the child is born on that territory, the child gets that nationality. This includes vessels registered in said country.

But it gets more complicated. Many countries don't allow dual or triple citizenship, so maybe the parents have to choose. This happens at birth or sometimes with coming of age.

The US does allow dual citizenship. So does Russia.

My guess is that (if the parents are Russian) the child will only have Russian citizenship since the plane is registered in Russia (assuming it is).

Quoting Geo772 (Reply 10):

Not immediately, but American children can immigrate their parents eventually.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

illusion

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:43 pm

It was 1,5-2 years ago... I was working at a ground handling company back then and there was a birth on board on a LTU flight... The baby and the mother was fine when they landed and were immediately taken to a hospital nearby with an assistance of a passport police and ground staff... The crew had to take care of the birth since there were no doctors on board... But some passengers who were mothers themselves helped the crew out during the tough birth... I was shocked how first the check-in and boarding staff then the cabin crew couldn't notice the lady was pregnant. Later from the report the hospital sent we learned that she was almost 9 months pregnant.
I asked the police if the baby will have Turkish citizenship and he said no. The baby was going to have his own nationality which was Poland. But the place of birth was going to be Istanbul. I was also curious if the baby will fly for free on LTU flights for the rest of his life... And the pilot said he doesn't think so because the mother actually did something illegal by flying on late pregnancy without noticing any staff and with no doctor report. So that 'free ticket for a life-time' is an urban legend huh?
just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there...

Starlionblue

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:59 pm

Quoting Illusion (Reply 31):
I was shocked how first the check-in and boarding staff then the cabin crew couldn't notice the lady was pregnant. Later from the report the hospital sent we learned that she was almost 9 months pregnant.

It's actually pretty easy to hide late pregnancy with clothing. Many people still think my wife is about 6-7 months pregnant, when she is in fact due in 2 weeks.

Quoting Illusion (Reply 31):
And the pilot said he doesn't think so because the mother actually did something illegal by flying on late pregnancy without noticing any staff and with no doctor report. So that 'free ticket for a life-time' is an urban legend huh?

It depends on the airline. There's no law governing "free ticket for life". Also I question not reporting pregnancy as being a crime. More likely it's an airline regulation.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

breiz

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:04 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 30):
Just to clear things out.
- Most countries have laws that state the child gets the nationality(ies) of the parents.
- Many countries also have laws that state that if the child is born on that territory, the child gets that nationality. This includes vessels registered in said country.

But it gets more complicated. Many countries don't allow dual or triple citizenship, so maybe the parents have to choose. This happens at birth or sometimes with coming of age.

Quite right. Depending on the country where one is born, it is either the blood (parents) or the land (place of birth) which decide on the citizenship.
In France, a baby is born French because its parents are French not because they happen to be in France at the date of birth.
In Norway, as RedChili explained, if the baby's mother is Norwegian, you are Norwegian wherever the baby is born.

In countries which accept the double nationality, boys must usually choose when they may be called in the Forces, if the country has conscription.
Girls are un-affected and keep the double nationality.

About planes, it's just like boats, they are regarded as a part of the country they belong to.

Sabena332

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:50 am

Quoting RedChili (Reply 28):
Although it's registered in Bermuda, it carries the Russian flag, and not the Bermuda flag.

Who cares? The plane is registered in Bermuda, that is what counts!

Or can Cubana fly to the USA just because they are painting a - for example - German flag on their planes?

Patrick

afay1

Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:33 am

The article has finally been posted in English, officially, although the translation is terrible. Aeroflot is so inconsistent sometimes...they are too damn lazy to hire a proper translator, so instead they just run it through a computer program.

http://www.aeroflot.aero/eng/news.asp?ob_no=712&d_no=4484