stirling

2nd Busiest US Airport Last Week? BTR?

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:12 pm

From today's Modesto Bee, this unusual statement:

USA Today and CNN recently described the state of affairs in Baton Rouge: "Signs of boom times are everywhere. Wal-Mart trucks stream in with blankets, water, gasoline cans and food for new residents jamming the chain's 14 local stores.

"Airlines have added passenger flights to Chicago and other cities. FedEx and other cargo carriers are boosting service, too."

The airport got so busy, it was second in the nation in traffic last week, behind only JFK International in New York.

To cope with traffic that is beyond the capacity of its streets and avenues, Baton Rouge eliminated left turns.

First thing I need to ask; since when is JFK the leader of traffic in the US?

Here's a link: Modesto Bee Article
Haven't found corroborating evidence as of yet..the day is still young.
Delete this User

mlbaker3

RE: 2nd Busiest US Airport Last Week? BTR?

Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:53 am

Speaking as a controller at BTR, we were busy to capacity even with flow restrictions. Second busiest in the US, not hardly, but we were working at 500% plus normal traffic. Example, Sept 2, 2004...384 operations, Sept 2, 2005....1624 operations. From my best calculations, we were in the top 20 airports for a few days, but #2, no way. We don't have enough concrete to operate at more than 1700 operations since we are only open from 0500-2359 local.

aaway

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:10 am

Quoting Mlbaker3 (Reply 1):
Speaking as a controller at BTR, we were busy to capacity even with flow restrictions. Second busiest in the US, not hardly, but we were working at 500% plus normal traffic. Example, Sept 2, 2004...384 operations, Sept 2, 2005....1624 operations

Amazing job considering BTR has intersecting runways. Then again, I'd imagine some of the ops were helicopter.

Have there been major fluctuations in daily ops since 09/02, or has it been fairly steady?
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

bond007

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:22 am

Well considering they say second "behind only JFK International in New York.", it's obvious they don't have any facts at all. JFK doesn't even come in the Top 15!

As for BTR, as MlBaker says, those number of operations barely put BTR in the top 10.

Jimbo

[Edited 2005-10-01 17:22:36]
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

mlbaker3

Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:35 am

"Amazing job considering BTR has intersecting runways. Then again, I'd imagine some of the ops were helicopter."

We used 4l/4r for arr/dep and 13/31 for helo ops. And yes, half of our traffic was helicopter ops.

"Have there been major fluctuations in daily ops since 09/02, or has it been fairly steady?"

We were running 1300-1600 for about 2 weeks, but is seems to have settled in the 650-750 range (a little over double our normal pre-Katrina numbers).

"As for BTR, as MlBaker says, those number of operations barely put BTR in the top 10."

Using numbers from the admin. fact book, (which is taking the average daily operations from a total monthly count)...on our best day, we were #8 behind DEN, but you must consider the fact that the FAA counts different facility operations differently. It is hard to compare TRACON only and Tower only count verses a combined facility like ours. As you can imagine, their formulas they use boggle the mind.

MB
BTR

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos