db373

Flying On Philippine Air

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:45 am

This is my first post, so I thought I'd ask an easy question to break the ice. I'm flying to Manila in December on PAL in Business class, taking Delta to SFO and connecting from there. Has anyone ever flown PAL, and what can I expect in terms of service, meals, IFE, etc.

Thanks for the Info!

Oh, and does anyone know when NW is retiring the DC-9's?  Yeah sure  duck 
Keep Delta My Delta

CV580Freak

RE: Flying On Philippine Air

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:03 am

Won't answer all your questions but I flew Phillipines once KUL/MNL on a B737, apart from everyone looking completly lost, ie a girl right at the back looking for 1A it went well, took off in a monster thunderstorm which was interesting.

Once in the cruise I noticed a guy with 4 stripes standing at the rear in the aisle smoking and it was not until his 4th or 5th cigarette that I realised he was the pilot. Luckily it looked like the 2nd officer was a non-smoker as he never joined the captain for a smoke.

Onboard entertainment was a cassette player outside the flight deck door and the FE would come out and turn the cassette over........

SUPERB but went back Malaysian  Smile
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

flydubai

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:26 am

Hi DB373,

Well, you will most likely travel on the 744, however they do run a weekly service to SFO with an A343. The Business Class cabin is situated on the upper deck of the 744. They have a fairly average IFE system, although they do have PTV's.

I terms of meals they supply:

Quote:
A sumptuous selection of Western, Filipino and Japanese Kaiseki dishes is available on particular routes, prepared to the exacting standards of our airline food experts. Well-known culinary personalities are regularly invited as guest chefs in our Food Festivals in the Sky.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © M Radzi Desa
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Edward Lai

I would give the airline a rating of 5/10.

As for the NW DC-9's I thought they were all gone.  Confused

(This thread would probably be better in the Aviation Polls & Preferences forum but not to worry)  Smile

flydubai

EddieDude

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:48 am

There is right now a very nice thread in the Trip Reports forum about a LAS-YVR flight with Philippines. I hope that helps!
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos