saintsman

Ryanair And Large Passengers

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:18 am

My wife has booked a girlie weekend to Barcelona with FR. One of her party is rather on the large side. What is Ryanair's policy with regard to carrying the extra large passenger? The seats are small enough as it is and really she would be more comfortable with two seats, but she is sensitive about her size. If she only booked the one seat would FR make any issue out of it and make her buy an additional seat? Obviously (Knowing what they are like) it would be better to buy an additional seat now rather than on the day, otherwise it will cost a fortune / may not be available / and be embarassing.

dogfighter2111

RE: Ryanair And Large Passengers

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:25 am

Well, this is a rather sensitive situation and not all of FR are like O' Leary. The people their probably won't make a fuss, but:

How much are the seats costing now?

Thanks
Mike

Pe@rson

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:04 pm

I don't know anything about that specific thing - perhaps check all of its terms and conditions or phone them up - but WN has a rule whereby an oversized customer must buy another seat in order to have sufficient comfort.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

A3204eva

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:30 pm

It's usual for the airline to take the pax down and try him/her in a seat to see if he/she fits comfortably with the arm-rest down. If not, he/she will have to buy another seat.

That's on the day, when you're at the airport though...

Scott
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

Pe@rson

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:36 pm

Quoting A3204eva (Reply 3):
It's usual for the airline to take the pax down and try him/her in a seat to see if he/she fits comfortably with the arm-rest down. If not, he/she will have to buy another seat.

"It's usual for the airline..." The "the airline" part implies that you're referring to FR. If you are, what are your sources? It's no good having no, or poor, authority: the thread starter needs definitive information. My best suggestion would be to fully read all FR's terms and conditions or phone FR up or both.

A3204eva: when you stated "the airline," were you in fact meaning airlines in general? I believe WN, through watching Airline USA, does the following:

Quoting A3204eva (Reply 3):
the airline to take the pax down and try him/her in a seat to see if he/she fits comfortably with the arm-rest down. If not, he/she will have to buy another seat.

[Edited 2005-09-19 14:37:10]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

A3204eva

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:22 pm

Pe@rson,

That was a guess for what would seems a sensible thing to do. I'm not too sure about FR exactly because i've never had that happen to me on check-in.

Scott
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

richardw

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:59 pm

FR conditions of carriage

http://www.ryanair.com/site/conditions/docs/ryanair_carriage.pdf

Page 7 points 7.1.2.2 and 7.1.2.3 concern comfort of other passengers and physical size

They don't however say larger passengers may/should purchase another seat, or that they have larger seat belts that may be required by the passeneger.

[Edited 2005-09-19 17:15:12]

gkirk

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:39 am

Quoting A3204eva (Reply 5):
That was a guess for what would seems a sensible thing to do.

Sensible and Ryanair don't go together  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

N1120A

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:53 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 2):
WN has a rule whereby an oversized customer must buy another seat in order to have sufficient comfort.

WN's policy is that someone who cannot fit into a seat after 2 seatbelt extensions AND is booked on a full flight must buy a second seat. If the aircraft does not go out full (through no shows, cancellations, whatever), then WN refunds the full amount to the passenger. It is actually true that all airlines do this, it is just that it has been publicized at WN
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:11 am

Can't say with FR, but once called EZY about one of my rather large clients - they said that although he could buy 2 seats, they couldn't promise that he'd be sitting together, as it's free seating.

banghead 
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

mika

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:23 am

Quoting Saintsman (Thread starter):
My wife has booked a girlie weekend to Barcelona with FR. One of her party is rather on the large side. What is Ryanair's policy with regard to carrying the extra large passenger? The seats are small enough as it is and really she would be more comfortable with two seats, but she is sensitive about her size. If she only booked the one seat would FR make any issue out of it and make her buy an additional seat? Obviously (Knowing what they are like) it would be better to buy an additional seat now rather than on the day, otherwise it will cost a fortune / may not be available / and be embarassing.

Hum...is it even possible to sit across two seats? Aren't there obstructions between each seat (the armrest, it's fittings etc) or am i just remembering things wrong? It was almost a year that i flew last time so i could be wrong about this. And just out of curiosoty, do FR have any smaller seats than any other airline? Aren't the seats made according to some kind of industry norm rather than ordered in different sizes by the airlines?

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 9):
Can't say with FR, but once called EZY about one of my rather large clients - they said that although he could buy 2 seats, they couldn't promise that he'd be sitting together, as it's free seating.

What an odd odd problem  Smile

saintsman

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:11 am

Mika,

There are arm rests between the seats but they do lift up out of the way. In fact you often see people strugling to get accross the seats to and from the window when all they have to do is lift the armrest and they would find it much easier. As for the seats, if they are three abreast they will be a standard size though I do remember the last time I flew FR they did seem a bit tight (and I am not particularly wide myself). Where it will be tight though is between the seat pitch and I'm sure my wife's friend will struggle with that. Maybe she needs two seats so that she can spread her legs but that is not a thought I want to think about  Wink