Glom
Topic Author

GE Gets The Spotlight, But Is RR The Real Star?

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:37 pm

It seems that there is always a lot of talk about engines in terms of the GE offer, but it seems that RR is the better seller. How are things in the R vs G war?

boeingbus

RE: GE Gets The Spotlight, But Is RR The Real Star?

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:54 pm

RR best seller??? That is debatable but personally dont think so... Just take a look at orders as of late.

just look at the 737 sales. That alone should indicate that folks at GE engines are quite busy.

The 787 is a different story and it would be quite interesting on the reasoning of why airlines opted for RR... i.e. ANA, I was expecting them to go for GE all the way, since of 773ER order... but politics and balancing trade deficits is an issue... and engine commonality is not an issue even tho many here think it is... 773ER is having sucess....

A340, A380 sales have been lacking as of late. This hurts RR much more than

A350 is all GE. and its not good for RR.

Performance and reliability RR and GE are more similar than not. Both great manufacters.

cheers,

Ric
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

EMBQA

Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:08 pm

Quoting Glom (Thread starter):
It seems that there is always a lot of talk about engines in terms of the GE offer, but it seems that RR is the better seller. How are things in the R vs G war?

ah, NO..!!

GE, Pratt & Whitney and Rolls Royce all make great engines. I don't think you can really say one out sells the other without facts. Pratt and Rolls have both been making aircraft engines since just after Orville and Wilber took to the sky. Pratt has been making the larger 'commercial' aircraft engines longer then Rolls, but now Rolls has grown into a great competitor.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

lightsaber
Crew

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:08 am

Quoting BoeingBus (Reply 1):
RR best seller??? That is debatable but personally dont think so... Just take a look at orders as of late.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 2):
I don't think you can really say one out sells the other without facts.

Since the CFM-56 is about half of all shipped engines, the facts are pretty brutal. Unfortunately, I didn't leave Pratt before RR overtook them in engine deliveries.  Sad

GE is a jaggernaught right now: GE90-115, GenX, CFM-56, CF-34 (part of me can't believe the world's first high bypass turbofan is *still* in production and will have "legs" on the E-jets). Both Pratt and RR were hurt by GE getting an exclusive on the 777C. Pratt *needed* the 787, but didn't get on the airframe. I expect RR to do very well on the airframe and to get on the A350. I wonder if GE's exclusive on the 747adv is that exclusive (in other words, if BA, QF, or others ponied up for a RR 747adv, could/would Boeing do it)?

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

ZSOFN

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 3):
(in other words, if BA, QF, or others ponied up for a RR 747adv, could/would Boeing do it)?

I don't reckon that's likely now. British Airways & Cathay Pacific both had RB211s on other A/C at the time of ordering the 744, but now they've got heavies with other engine types (BA have many T7s with GEs, CX have ex-SQ PW-powered 744s).