MFEFlyer
Topic Author

AA And CO Keep MFE Dominated!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:06 am

CO and AA for years and years have always dominated MFE and still, they keep on dominating. Over the years, MFE has had a variety of airlines, but unfortunately last only a while.

Now, I was giving my opinion on another topic on when will DL serve MFE, but who knows.

My point is when is it that other airlines will likely go to MFE, and maybe stay, instead of lasting a couple of months to a year. Or if not why not AA or CO open more destinations to other cities instead of always IAH and DFW.

G4 is the third airline, and I sure do hope they stay!

All you a.netters that could help me, sure would like your feed back.
Valley Approach.....

PSU.DTW.SCE

RE: AA And CO Keep MFE Dominated!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:08 am

I don't think you'll see NW back after their very short-lived CRJ flights on MEM-MFE that didn't even last 6 months.

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:13 am

Yea thats right, they only lasted a bit, and my understanding is that it connected MFE to NW's network, but IMO, I think they would of done better either in MSP or DTW.
Valley Approach.....

kcrwflyer

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:14 am

Forgive my ignorance, whats MFE?

roseflyer

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:16 am

Is McAllen Texas really that big of a market? At least it has two carriers and it makes sense that it is two Texas based carriers serving the city rather than just one. That area is rather fast growing and far away from other large cities in Texas and probably could use another carrier to lower costs.

By the way, when you are referring to small cities that might not be in the Anet database for the mouse over to work, please include the name of the city/airport to help some of us out. Smile
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

stlgph

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:17 am

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 3):
Forgive my ignorance, whats MFE?

It's McAllen, Texas. People think they're cute when they can talk in three letter airport codes with people who are "chill."
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:18 am

McAllen, Texas

Small-medium sized manufacturing town near the Mexico border

Yes service would've been better with better connectivity through DTW or MSP (like MSP-ELP), but too long & thin a route to even warrent a 3-hour CRJ ride.

Tornado82

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:24 am

Sounds ripe for WN, they could even serve it to DAL, if anyone is going to come.

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:28 am

McAllen-Miller International Airport for all you a.netters
Valley Approach.....

HAJFlyer

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:28 am

Given the fact that three airports (MFE, BRO, HRL) are competing for the traffic from the RGV, I could consider it rather unlikely that either DL or NW would offer any service from MFE. I do not think that the market is big enough to accommodate more than one Skyteam carrier.

BTW am I correct in assuming that HRL is the airport of choice for the LCCs serving the valley while BRO which is served only by CO EX is primarily used by tourists heading for the beaches of South Padre ?

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:36 am

Yea, we have 3 airlines serving the area, and trust me, McAllen it's not a town, it's a mid-size city with about 120,000 people. A very fast growing city.
Plus with one international destination.

And like psu dtw sce said, a manufacturing city right next to the Mexican border, just like ELP.
The city has alot of potential to lure in more airlines, that's what MFE is trying to do. But my guess is that many Airlines think that MFE is no good.
I could be pretty sure if a major airline were to come in to MFE, the loads would be great.
Unfortunately NW didn't do so well to MEM, but if it were to do MSP or DTW, even though they're thin routes, they'd have pax every day getting connected to the Rio Grande Valley to the Northern part of the U.S.

And thats what MFE needs, more connections to the east coast and to the west coast.
I mean, G4 does connect RGV people to the west coast via LAS. And fortunately they opened SFB-MFE. But we sure do need more airlines, and destinations.
Valley Approach.....

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:40 am

you could ask me hajflyer, I am from the Rio Grande Valley, you are right about HRL with WN, and BRO with COex connecting tourists to South Padre ISland, but thats it.

MFE is the airport to do bussines in the Valley, with connections to more places other than HRL, which gets you to HOU,SAT, or AUS. those are not destinations IMO.
Valley Approach.....

CIDFlyer

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:22 am

what I find interesting about MFE is that, yes, it is dominated by 2 carriers, but those carrierss put mainline jets on those routes to their hubs(AA to DFW and CO to IAH) I think CO also throws in a couple ERJ's to supplement the mainline to IAH and also as an ERJ flight to MEX. Most cities this size would just have the RJ's to the hub.

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:31 am

During fall they put 1 RJ flight to MFE, but connects to MX.

In summer we usually have around 3 or 4 mainline supplementing. Usually it's all mainline, and thats only CO, AA only sends 4 daily super-80's
Valley Approach.....

MFEFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:37 am

Hey A.netters, any sort of rumors for MFE, any good news?

New airlines or LCC anything....
Valley Approach.....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos