N593HA
Topic Author

NW: No More Food In Y Class On Transatlantic?

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:55 pm

Hey, I just booked a flight on expedia with KL/NW from CGN to HNL via AMS and SEA for my Christmas break (I'm flying Y-class off course!).

On my itinerary it is stated that on NW033 AMS - SEA no food is served?
Is this really true? If that is the case, will there be at least a buy on board option?
I would find it very disappointing if on that which is served by state of the art 333s (including AVOD) no more food would be served.
I mean NW is still a mainline carrier and not a low-cost / no frills airline!

Maybe, it is, now that NW is flying under Chapter 11 one of their strategies to offer only Buy on Board meals on all flights!

May be some one can help to solve this mystery! I would be thankful!

Regards from Bonn, Germany
N593HA
Next trip: KL+NW to HNL

TWA902fly

RE: NW: No More Food In Y Class On Transatlantic?

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:10 pm

As much as NW has gotten rid of in-flight options... i dont think they'll sink as low as to not serve food on a AMS-SEA flight. Just my logical guess. But i might be wrong...

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

dtwclipper

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:11 pm

Food is still served on all Trans Atlantic and Pacific flights.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:18 pm

Iwouldn't be surprised to see that happen. Airlines have just started to reduce the international baggage limit from two pieces with 70 punds down to two peieces 50 pounds (so a reduction by 40 pounds, which actually hurts me quite a bit).

But in NWA 33 you will get Dinner and a Snack. The fact that they call it "Dinner" at lunchtime mainly means that it will be a real full size meal, whereas "Lunch" is usually smaller and breakfast is about as much as a snack, only better fitted for the morning.

MarshalN

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:22 pm

Quoting 764 (Reply 3):
The fact that they call it "Dinner" at lunchtime mainly means that it will be a real full size meal, whereas "Lunch" is usually smaller and breakfast is about as much as a snack, only better fitted for the morning.

Depends on what airline you're talking about  Smile

CX's breakfasts are quite handsome, even in Y. I have to say the average quality of American airlines' serivce/food has sunk quite far....

laca773

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:33 am

N593HA,

Check out www.airlinemeals.net . This site has all airlines meals listed and you can see them. It's a great and interesting website.

LACA773

TGV

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:17 am

Quoting 764 (Reply 3):
Airlines have just started to reduce the international baggage limit from two pieces with 70 punds down to two peieces 50 pounds

This limit was for flights to/from the US (maybe all North America ??).

For the rest of the world the limit in Y is 20 kg (no limit on pieces that I know of, but with 20 kg, you can not have many), sometimes up to 25 depending on the airline (AF was 23, reduced to 20 one year ago, but with 5/10/20 kg additional depending on your status with them).
Avoid 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y ! They are real sardine cans. (AF/KL for example)

N1120A

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:35 am

Quoting 764 (Reply 3):
Airlines have just started to reduce the international baggage limit from two pieces with 70 punds down to two peieces 50 pounds (so a reduction by 40 pounds, which actually hurts me quite a bit).

That is untrue. That restriction is for Domestic baggage. International baggage is still 70

Quoting TGV (Reply 6):
This limit was for flights to/from the US (maybe all North America ??).

It is for domestic flights
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LH431

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:44 am

Quoting 764 (Reply 3):
Airlines have just started to reduce the international baggage limit from two pieces with 70 punds down to two peieces 50 pounds (so a reduction by 40 pounds, which actually hurts me quite a bit).

stop crying!  Smile
All over the world there is the maximum of about 20KG(BTW the BA limit is 23KG) in Y. Only in North America its different(why?) - but I enjoy that on my homebound flight after shopping in the USA/Canada.

AFAIK is NW one of the few US Airlines that serves free booze in economy!

have a nice chrismas break...hope there is somebody who is with you
There is a better way to fly

satx

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:31 am

Quoting LH431 (Reply 8):

Might only be on Pacific flights these days IIRC, the one other US Airline that does this is UA.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

MEA-707

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:57 am

I flew Northwest sunday and they even had a free meal on the 3.5 hour Mexico City-Detroit flight, and two meals on the 6.5 hour Detroit-Amsterdam flight plus free booze. I wouldn't worry too much that would change, especially because they are codesharing with KLM, Continental and Air France who are well known for decent free meals. The "meal" codes are often wrong on iteneraries, stating you get dinner on a half hour flight and no meal on long flights.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

ahdharia

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:10 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
That is untrue. That restriction is for Domestic baggage. International baggage is still 70

Actually that is still not true. NWA has dropped the limit from 70 to 50 lbs. on all international Asia/Europe bound flights originating from USA.

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/checked.html#freeluggage

ACDC8

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:15 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 9):
Quoting LH431 (Reply 8):

Might only be on Pacific flights these days IIRC, the one other US Airline that does this is UA.

I had a couple of beers and a scotch on my last DTW-FRA flight in Y a few months ago and they were still no charge at that time. Of course, that could change overnight.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

LH459

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:15 am

Quoting Ahdharia (Reply 11):
Actually that is still not true. NWA has dropped the limit from 70 to 50 lbs. on all international Asia/Europe bound flights originating from USA.

NW/KL tried this last year, and were told by IATA that they couldn't. I wonder how they're getting away with it now?
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

ACDC8

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:21 am

Quoting LH459 (Reply 13):
NW/KL tried this last year, and were told by IATA that they couldn't. I wonder how they're getting away with it now?

Didn't AC just do this recently as well?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ushermittwoch

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):

UA has done the same thing for all Y-class flights booked after 9/15 (I believe it was).
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Okie

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:16 am

Quoting LH459 (Reply 13):

My girlfriend got nailed for the 50lb limit on our DFW-CUN and CUN-DFW flight on Champion Air which is NW charter arm this May. $25 each way. Just makes you wonder if that excess cash went into the keg fund or actually went into the till.

Lets see a week in CUN, couple swim suits, undies, shorts & tee shirts, a pair of flip-flops and toothbrush. I didn't get it. How do you end up with more than a hundred pounds of luggage.

Okie

kaniksu

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:34 am

Quoting LH431 (Reply 8):

Doesn't Horizon/QX does this as well?

HamadanF4

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:35 am

my family and I, flew coach on aNW from DTW to AMS June 2004 on a NW A330-300 and the food was the worst ever. It was so bad that the F/A was applogizing as she was passing out the dinner. It was so bad that on the return flight i bought our food before boarding. If NW would pass on the savings to passangers from not serving any food, then atleast one would know what to expect and bring your own meal. But in reality i know they would never pass on the savings to passangers. Hey, You know what Walmart needs to start a airline!!!!!!!!!!!! oh here we go getting the pro Union guys all upset!

Jano

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:06 am

Regarding luggage allowance

from http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/checked.html

International Travel between the U.S./Canada and Asia or Europe
For international travel between the U.S./Canada and Asia or Europe, each ticketed passenger is allowed to check the following:
Coach Class
Two (2) checked pieces
50 pounds* (23 kg) per piece - linear dimensions (add length, width, and height) not to exceed 62 inches (158 cm). Luggage weighing between 50 and 70 pounds will be assessed a $25 USD fee.

* Exceptions for travel wholly between U.S./Canada and the Philippines, checked pieces may weigh up to 70 pounds (32 kg) each.

World Business Class
Three (3) checked pieces
First two (2) pieces: 70 pounds (32 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 62 inches (158 cm).
Third piece: 40 pounds (18 kg) with with linear dimensions not to exceed 45 inches (115 cm).

So, for coach class it is 50 pounds.

Regarding the first poster question about food being served at NW/KL TATL flights.

Food is served. You will get dinner (chicken or pasta) and a breakfast (pizza and icecream). Booze is free.

What you got was that Expedia is not showing correct info. It happened to me a few time in past - I have 4 TATL flighs on NW/KL this year alone.

As long as NW and KL are tied up in Joint Venture for TATL operations they will offer comparable level of service.

Quoting SATX (Reply 9):

It's TATL service too.
The Widget Air Line :)

jafa39

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:48 am

Quoting TGV (Reply 6):
For the rest of the world the limit in Y is 20 kg

Air NZ, flights NZ1 and NZ2 give 2x 32kg, although this isn't always stated on the ticket it is the standard limit on this flight, I believe that also applies if you are only flying LHR-LAX or AKL-LAX and vice versa.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

chgoflyer

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:07 am

I just flew them in Y class and they had all the passengers bound at the wrist standing in the asiles with no food or water. Everyone was complaining in dis belief that there were no hot towels.

I think everyone should stop flying NWA in couch as a result of the awful conditions and "worst ever food" and change your tickets to Alitalia or better yet Y class on Air France.
Will someone please wake me up in 4 years

laca773

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:27 am

If you check out www.airlinemeals.net you'll see what they are serving on NW and all of their competitors. Unfortunately, they have some of the worst looking main cabin and even a good portion of their F/J cabin catering is pretty bad. I'm surprised since they are so tight with KL on international segments through AMS you'd think they'd have a much better catering contract in place and now that AF & KL are merged into one though run under their orginal names, I think AF would say something as well, but apparently that hasn't happened or they just don't care and are probably laughing all the time about the slop they see them serving..

LACA773

Jano

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:55 am

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 22):
Unfortunately, they have some of the worst looking main cabin and even a good portion of their F/J cabin catering is pretty bad.

LACA773

I can only tell you that NW and KL have the about the standard for TATL flights. They designed their TATL product that way and they stick to it.

Oh, and btw I'm the guy who gets BIS* miles flying both KL and NW.

Note: BIS = butt-in-seat for those not familiar with terminlogy
The Widget Air Line :)

Orion737

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:23 pm

I did the LGW-DTW on NW DC10 and the food was fine. A choice of main course in economy and then towards the end of the flight a 'snack' this was basically next to nothing but at least it was 'something' one has to be grateful for any food on any flight these days!.

The leg room and comfort on that DC10 was the best I have experienced in Y for some time. I hear the 330 is a different matter though.

Carfield

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:24 pm

baggage allowance changes have just taken place (or soon to take place at the end of the month) -- the two pieces rules applied to North American flights will change from 2 70lbs to 2 50lbs bag... but elites and premium class flyers won't be affected.

About NW food, I guess even though it is in BK... and not serving any type of free food or snack in domestic flights. International flights will still provide some free food (but alcohol... I am not sure, as many US airlines including AA and CO began charging money for alcoholic beverage on international flights these days), but I honestly don't think meals will be gone on international flights soon. Well never say never, but I think the airlines have not sunken to that level yet, but NW meals are never known to be a feast in J or Y... so even though there are meals, you may want to pack a sandwich, have a meal before flight or pack some power bars...

I believe for NW transatlantic --
eastbound to AMS should include a hot meal and then a pre-arrival breakfast -- continental style yogurt, fruit cup and some pastry... cold though.

The return to SEA will include a hot meal, ice cream in between, and then a pizza or calzone type thing prior to landing.

www.airlinermeals.net should give you some more information, but knowing NW at BK, it may cut back more in terms of portion size such as smaller salad, smaller bread, smaller dessert -- using more pre-packaged stuff... but you can expect a full hot meal and one lighter cold meals on AMS-SEA-AMS flights.

Carfield

exFATboy

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:49 pm

Quoting LH431 (Reply 8):
All over the world there is the maximum of about 20KG(BTW the BA limit is 23KG) in Y. Only in North America its different(why?) - but I enjoy that on my homebound flight after shopping in the USA/Canada.

Not sure why US standards are different - perhaps US airlines are less dependent on cargo for revenue? Or maybe Americans just don't know how to pack light? (I know I can't!)

Part of it may also be that Americans take shorter vacations than Europeans, so we try to pack everything we need for a week rather than planning on taking time to do laundry during the trip.

Also, Americans take more golf vacations than Europeans, so our airlines take into account that a lot of us need to be able to bring clubs as part of our baggage allowance.

Funny thing is that in the US, LCCs give you more baggage allowance than network carriers - WN allows 3 at 50 pounds each, and B6 allows 3 at 70 pounds!

Quoting Okie (Reply 16):
Lets see a week in CUN, couple swim suits, undies, shorts & tee shirts, a pair of flip-flops and toothbrush. I didn't get it. How do you end up with more than a hundred pounds of luggage.

Well, yeah, if you're just going to the beach. But what if you're doing more than that?

Last year I went on a sports vacation to British Columbia - needed hiking boots, mountain biking gear (no bike, though - that was provided), rain gear, and then nice casual clothes for the evening - khakis, etc. That adds up. Especially shoes - for that one, I needed hiking boots, trainers, nice shoes for the evening, sandals. Shoes add weight fast!

laca773

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:30 pm

Quoting Carfield (Reply 25):

As always, Carfield, Thankyou. I love reading your trip reports and the posts you contribute here. Who do you think provides the best inflight catering product on transatlantic services? AF? CO? BA? VS? LH?

I'm still surprised that KL/AF haven't suggested or offered to help NW improve their inflight catering product offerings on international flights. I see them to be very marginal, at best. I'm a big fan or www.airlinemeals.net and have a lot of respect for those who take the time to post their phots and review them and the service. It really do shows that passengers do care as well as some flight crews.

LACA773

Orion737

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:33 pm

That 'second' snack type meal on transatlantic flights or the 'breakfast' eastbound is terrible. Some cold piece of pastry or something. Its never another hot meal, ever.

If they have to give you a second meal, I wish they would make it something warm.

LH459

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:17 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 28):
If they have to give you a second meal, I wish they would make it something warm

it used to be...
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

Lufthansa747

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:14 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 28):
If they have to give you a second meal, I wish they would make it something warm.

I think LH west coast flights (over 9 or 10h?) still have two hot meals.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

malaysia

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:20 am

I thought the NW TV dinners all come from the MSP kitchen and frozen then shipped out to NRT and outstations? that egg mc muffin thing is nasty, its not even a sandwich, its just spread in a melted black plastic tray and nuclear hot. I feel sad for NW cattle class. I have had no choice, but fly them
often on LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK/NRT-SIN. NW business is good stuff but
it makes me feel like I entered a new airline other than what NW offers in Y Class.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens