Transtar

Impact Of Rita On DFW

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:07 am

I am flying DCA to DFW on Saturday with an arrival time of 10:30 AM and Rita's supposed to make landfall at around 8 am.

What's the likelihood of cancellation for me if it is a 3 or 4 hurricane?

TranStar

Okie

RE: Impact Of Rita On DFW

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:29 am

DFW is well inland.
Unless there are ground holds for lightning in thunderstorms, I would not expect much of a delay.
You may have a bit of a ground hold a DCA for a landing slot if things get to dicey at DFW. Airlines do not want planes flying around in holding patterns these days with high fuel prices.

Okie

satx

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:30 am

Hmm... Looks about 13-17% I'd say.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

Tornado82

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:42 am

Quoting TranStar (Thread starter):

What's the likelihood of cancellation for me if it is a 3 or 4 hurricane?

The effects of Rita on DFW will be similar to the effects of an MCS (Mesoscale Convective System... i.e. a large clusterf*ck of thunderstorms that takes several hours to completely pass over a point... like what hit the ORD/MDW/IND areas yesterday). Effects on operations will be accordingly... a day long of ground stops and whatnot because the winds will be high enough for odd runway configurations, but not enough to make flying too dangerous.

Okie

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:53 am

I might add if you are on AA you can go to
http://www.aa.com/
They have a tropical storm update on flights and you can also list your flight number and phone or e-mail and they will keep you abreast if there are flight delays they stay pretty much up to date.
I had a 90 minute lay over at DFW by accident (cough cough) while I was out taking several laps around DFW on the Sky Link AA called my cell phone to inform me that there would be a 10 minute departure delay on my connecting flight due to a Mx problem. My girlfriend also puts my flight number in when she takes and picks me up from the airport (afraid I might get lost on the way home?)

Okie