backfire

UK LibDems Vote To Bring Back Concorde

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:41 am

Just heard (unverified) that the Liberal Democrats in the UK have officially voted to bring Concorde back into service. Nice to see politicians are in touch with reality...  banghead 

Christa

RE: UK LibDems Vote To Bring Back Concorde

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:43 am

Don't worry these are the Liberal Democrats. They'll never get into the power. Sure, the Concorde was a fantastic aircraft, however it is not viable really for any airline to operate..

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

DLPMMM

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:48 am

I didn't know the Liberal Democrats owned an airline.

I'll leave the follow-up jokes on the operational aspects to your imagination.

HAJFlyer

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:51 am

How will they do that ? Expropriate all the aviation museums to get the planes back ?  banghead 

BMIbaby733

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:09 am

Didn't realise by telling the TRUTH i would be dubbed a Nazi!
I certainly am not a Nazi! my Grandfather fought those idiotic brain dead morons and if telling the truth makes me a Nazi in your eyes then i'm afraid you need to mature in your mentality!

legacy135

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:10 am

Quoting Backfire (Thread starter):
Just heard (unverified) that the Liberal Democrats in the UK have officially voted to bring Concorde back into service. Nice to see politicians are in touch with reality...

There are at least some politicians thinking in a "non-destructive" way about aviation. This is remarkable itselfes as politicians normally want nothing else than using aircraft for their travel needs, but without airports, noise emissions, pollution etc.

Maybe somebody can bring them on the right way to support aviation and it could work out perfect for other projects lacking support from politicians.

bmiEMA19

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:16 am

It's VERY true what BMIbaby733 is saying. He is only speaking the truth, and that would make many many people I know so called "Nazi's" as Luisca is accusing. We are already becoming the minority in our own country, receiving much less than most illegal immigrants do...

But as for the Concorde's, I really can't see how they plan to bring them back, from museums all over the world practically. Never mind about the neglet they will have suffered by numerous visitors and being outside in all weather for how ever many years!!

Glom

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:18 am

I find this hard to believe. They hate planes of all kinds, except the ones used to ferry them around.

Damian

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:19 am

The Lib Dems usually pride themselves on advocating a very 'green' agenda and traditionally make very negative noises about aviation/airports and their effect on the environment.

Given that entrenched position, perhaps it is testament to Concorde and her ability to excite such pride and passion in all of us that such a political party could willingly vote for her return!

Lib Dem MP Lembit Opik has long been behind the 'campaign':
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4734799.stm

joshdean

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 5):
I recommend editing before these left wingers start calling you Nazi

Too late. BMIbaby733 is, in fact, a racist. I won't go as far as calling him a Nazi. Furthermore, his post has no relation whatsoever to the thread topic, nor any other aspect of aviation. I suggest his post be deleted. This is not the place for remarks of that nature. I fail to see why a British Citizen of Pakistani origin could not be Prime Minister.

Back to the message topic. I voted Lib Dem and am a big fan of Concorde, but I fear this really is a no-brainer. Whilst I think everyone agrees it would be nice to see Concorde flying, this would be at the expense of the tax payer if the Lib Dems have 'voted' to bring this back into service. Saying that though I would rather some of the money they take off me went on putting that bird in the sky rather than providing roads, hospitals and security to people like BMIbaby733. Saying that though, it looks as though more money needs to be invested in education, his spelling is appalling .

[Edited 2005-09-21 18:25:03]

Glom

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:21 am

Quoting Damian (Reply 10):
Lib Dem MP Lembit Opik has long been behind the 'campaign':

Lembit Opik. Now's there a cool politician. He's a member of AOPA and has been leading the fight against CAA's attempts to destroy General Aviation in Britain.

CV580Freak

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:25 am

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

speedbirdcrew

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:26 am

I was gonna post a reply to the earlier post but Joshdean put it better than I ever could, Finally someone for my respected users list!

gkirk

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:31 am

Well, they'd have to buy BA(who still own their 7 Concordes and who I doubt would sell any of them), give Airbus billions (and I mean billions) of pounds, pay for all the fuel, engineers etc.
Perhaps then it may have a 1% chance of flying again  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MichiganMAN

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:09 am

BMI

you're digging a hole here for yourself and coming off like a bit of a jackass.

Would you object to a Northern Irish prime minister considering they too are British born yet the IRA caused utmost grief in the UK for 25 years?
UK -> USA

BMIbaby733

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:24 am

first of all seen as tho your american i don't see why this concerns you!
but it depends doesen't it? does the Northern irish person want to be priminister so this person can free Northern island from britain or is the person ligitimate and want to run Britain for the British ?

with there being a doubt then no it wouldn't be a good idea because how would anybody know exactly what this person has at heart?

and i can't see how i'm digging a hole ! NOBODY LIKES THE TRUTH!!!

[Edited 2005-09-21 19:25:39]

Glom

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:27 am

Quoting BMIbaby733 (Reply 18):
NOBODY LIKES THE TRUTH!!!

I agree. The truth is that Lembit Opik is unlikely to get his wish. But hopefully he can do well with helping to save General Aviation from the evil clutches of the CAA. Good to have him around.

MichiganMAN

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting BMIbaby733 (Reply 18):
first of all seen as tho your american i don't see why this concerns you!

I am?

Born and bred is sunny Manchester my friend.

I normally like your posts, but seriously, and as loony or not Charles Kennedy and his party is here, this isn't the time nor place for this.
UK -> USA

luisca

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:49 am

Quoting BmiEMA19 (Reply 8):
It's VERY true what BMIbaby733 is saying. He is only speaking the truth, and that would make many many people I know so called "Nazi's" as Luisca is accusing.

Take it easy man, I am 100% in favor of everything you said, it just that if you dont tone it down, THE LEFT, paints you as a crazy nazi (or redneck)
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

tmatt95

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:50 am

Hi,
Whoever is putting forward the idea to save Concorde, I think that this is great as I would love to hear the sound of her engines propelling her down the runway again.  Smile

Quoting Backfire (Thread starter):
Nice to see politicians are in touch with reality...

When Concorde was taken out of service, a group of people set out to try and save her. They are called the "Save Concorde" and have got over 22,000 signature petition..(again I hope that they succeed)

bmibaby737

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:04 am

Hi,

It would be fantastic to get Concorde back into the air - wouldn't she pay for herself in airshows and stuff?

And btw - Please don't get me mixed up with "BMIbaby733"

cya

Jimmi

GDB

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:12 am

At the risk of repeating myself again, try a search about this.
Lembit Opik has not a clue about all this, he teamed up with the Muppets called 'Save Concorde' who apart from being clueless about the aircraft, manage to upset the very people who might help them even if it was possible, which this former BA Concorde Engineering staffer knows full well it is not.
Sorry, but those are the facts, BA looked long and hard at every possible option 2 years ago.
The Libs last won a UK general election in 1910, go figure.

carduelis

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:17 am

Well done, GDB, for injecting some much needed sense into this rubbishy and childish thread.
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

MarshalN

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:22 am

Quoting BMIbaby733 (Reply 4):
They would have a pakistani priminister and make sure the truly Birtish people The white british people would be a minority in their own country!

I suspect this may even be grounds for deletion of this person's account? I'm sure we have a little more decency than this on this forum.

jush

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:28 am

Quoting BMIbaby733 (Reply 6):
Didn't realise by telling the TRUTH i would be dubbed a Nazi!
I certainly am not a Nazi! my Grandfather fought those idiotic brain dead morons and if telling the truth makes me a Nazi in your eyes then i'm afraid you need to mature in your mentality!

You certainly are very emotional on that topic. But i have to agree with you that the lib. dems. are far far away from reality. I lived in England and was there before a general election and that was rather interesting.

Regards
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

GDB

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:44 am

I've been off line for over a week, should not be surprised that there is even more stupidity and general cluelessness than the last time I was here, but there is.

Air Net used to be quite well respected by aviation professionals (translation; those who generally know what they are talking about), not any more, at least from the feedback I get.

When I first joined in May 2001, some sillyness of course, as you'd expect, but it has in recent years, increased hugely.
Often driving away insiders.

Back on topic, I loved Concorde, loved working on it, loved flying on it, I miss it terribly, aviation is a much duller place without it.
But, all the while I lived in the real world, as did most of my former workmates, many of whomn had spent much or all of their working lives on Concorde.

Blame Bin Laden, for badly denting the market, my time on the fleet from 1997 to the very end, convinces me that Sept 11th 2001 was by far the biggest factor in a retirement that was in fact, only 2-3 years early under what vague plans there might have been before 2001.
(18 months to 2 years early in the market conditions in 2002/3).

Don't blame BA, don't blame Airbus and other support vendors, don't blame AF even if their market conditions were far worse than ours, making them pull out to the surprise and dismay of BA, thus doubling our support costs making them unsustainable in any market conditions, don't blame UK or French governments.

Bottom line, I was there, saw it all at close hand, Lembit should stick to saving the Earth from Asteroids, appearing on chat shows, shagging TV weather presenters, not saying that 14 million quid could bring Concorde back (try adding a zero to that at least).
Like Branson before him, he is raising false hopes for cheap PR.
Lembit did fly on it, so he made his contribution, sadly it wasn't enough.

N1120A

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:53 am

The white british people would be a minority in their own country!

Left wing turd for brains!!!

Well you are definately a racist, and you sound like a reincarnation of LibTurdSlayer
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BMIbaby733

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:21 am

open apologie to all i'll keep that sort of thing to myself!

[Edited 2005-09-22 00:49:59]

N1120A

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:30 am

Quoting BMIbaby733 (Reply 27):
Seen as tho my posts have been deleted let it be known to all that there isn't such a thing as FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

Which, on a private website like Airliners.net, doesn't exist. Additionally, just so you know, there are no set protections for freedom of speech (or freedom of anything for that matter) in the UK, so it may just be you who doesn't know what they are talking about

I AM NOT RACIST! a racist is someone whom believes their race is supreme to all others!!! I do certainly do not believe my race (white British) is superior to any other!!!

No, that is one sign of racism. But, for sake of argument, lets say you are right (which you aren't). You are an ethno-centrist, and that is just as bad

majority of people who have commented upon my so called "racism" are people who don't live in Britain HOW ON EARTH WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT???

Having lived in, worked in, and paid taxes in England, I do know what you are talking about

this started with a post about Liberal Democrats and Concorde lets get back to that!

You are the one who took it off that track.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

posti

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:35 am

Wouldn't it make more sense to take the money that would be invested to return Concorde to service and devote it to research into a new SST? Why not try to create new technology and not waste pounds on an old one.
LGW via RAC, LAF, & SEA

Shamrock_747

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:21 am

What has Concorde got do with the Lib Dems?

The aircraft are owned by British Airways, who ceased all involvement with the government in the 1980s.

Whether BA wants to have them cared for in museums, leased to McDonald's for display at the Bath Road drive-thru or flown around the world at a loss it is the airline's decision, and nothing whatsoever to do with any political party.

Orion737

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:42 am

The only Lib Dem politician I like is Matthew Taylor. I will leave you guessing as to why that is? (clue: nothing to do with the mans political views)

tmatt95

Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:52 pm

Hi,

Quoting Shamrock_747 (Reply 30):
or flown around the world at a loss

I have found an interesting article on the internet which in fact shows that Concorde could have been profitable when she flew. http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2003/0411.htm

carduelis

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:13 pm

Tmatt95:-

Welcome to Airliners.net!!!

Here we go again . . . !

These things have been aired here 'millions' of times - please do not labour it!

If you want to know more then do a quick search of all the very many pages and get some real information!

[Edited 2005-09-22 10:16:29]
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

jush

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:43 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 25):
When I first joined in May 2001, some sillyness of course, as you'd expect, but it has in recent years, increased hugely.
Often driving away insiders.

Off topic, yes but i want to say something about this.
It seems that generally in every kind of community there are people who joined early or also are member "of the first hour". Some of them tend to say that everything was better years before and that everything has gotten worse now.
That is so untrue. How dare you to say that. Bashing new members as incompetent is not the way to go. How dare you to say that there might not be a lot of aviation nuts who know a lot about av. who are joining a.net since 2001.
Of course there are different opinions than yours, but that is not incompetence and stupidity then.

Regards
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

EGTESkyGod

Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:45 pm

At the end of the day, no matter how much any of us want it (and God knows I want it more than anyone), Concorde will not be seen in the sky again.

Now, I want this more than any Save Concorde group or any Concorde fan, but I'm afraid that it just is not going to happen, whether its possible or not. Sorry guys. Just ask GDB.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

Xkorpyoh

Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:41 pm

Why wasn't Virgin given the chance to run it?
We dont know what miracle plans they had to make it work, but you know that Virgin is very creative and resourcesful.

I saw the concorde this weekend in Seatle at the Museum of Flight and was wondering why it should seat in a museum when it could be flying with VS.
The interior is so neat and new..what a shame.

I am also very realistic about the economics of the plane and the difficulties of making it profitable. but if VS was willing to take the risk...why not?

jmc757

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:55 am

You heard it here first. Expect a press release next week. The Lib Dems are setting up their own airline - flyLiberal. They have purchased the 7 BA Concordes and are to operate them on an hourly shuttle between LHR and BOH (where else?). Fares start at 20p, maximum fare £1.25. Service starts November 1st. Plans to launch flights to the moon from March 2006.

Meanwhile back on earth....

Glom

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:01 am

Quoting Jmc757 (Reply 37):
You heard it here first. Expect a press release next week. The Lib Dems are setting up their own airline - flyLiberal. They have purchased the 7 BA Concordes and are to operate them on an hourly shuttle between LHR and BOH (where else?). Fares start at 20p, maximum fare £1.25. Service starts November 1st. Plans to launch flights to the moon from March 2006.

Journey time: 5 seconds.

RIX

Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:28 am

Quoting Xkorpyoh (Reply 36):
Why wasn't Virgin given the chance to run it?

- wasn't given by whom?

Quoting Xkorpyoh (Reply 36):
Virgin is very creative and resourceful.

- in this case - no more than Liberal Democrats.

GDB

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:57 am

Oh no! Not someone else who swallowed Branson's PR effort of 2003.
Both the CAA and Airbus, told him in May 2003 it wasn't going to happen.
They knew that Concorde was a highly specialised aircraft that essentially ran on the experience of it's two operators, a knowledge base that existed nowhere else.

They also knew that Branson could never have paid for retaining the industry support base needed, when AF losses became too much and they pulled out, BA had to follow, since they could not afford to run it alone, even if the pre Sept 11 market conditions suddenly, magically, were to somehow re-appear instantly.

BA's relaunch effort of 2001 was predicated on these conditions, supplemented by extensive more recent market research, which even included presentations in the hangar in March 2001, to the top 100 BA Concorde customer.
That was a surreal day, after lunch, talks by BA managers, these corporate great and good enjoyed themseleves inspecting the first tank mod aircraft, OAF, including sticking their heads in fuel tanks and other nooks and crannies, all the while asking us Engineering staff lots of questions.
As well as checking out a new cabin mock up in OAE.

I mention this to illustrate the close relationship BA had with it's regular Concorde pax, the lifeblood of it, charters only at best, provided 9% of BA Concorde revenue. The operation ran on double daily JFK's with a nice supplement from the seasonal BGI service.
Sept 11th massively reduced this, how would Branson get around this and the far bigger issues?

Why did he not make a bigger fuss about AF Concorde retirement, their Concordes had much lower hours, (most of BA's were not long away from expensive and extensive 24,000 hr D checks).

But making a fuss about AF would not serve Branson's PR effort.

I think he was a geniune fan of the aircraft, after all, he flew on BA Concorde fairly frequently, (though billionaire Branson used concessions for aircraft staff for his Concorde tickets, which he was, as VS were part of these agreements).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos