speedbird19

Why No Emergency Slides On JetBlue A/c?

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:15 am

Just something that's been bugging me but, It's just occurred to me, why didn't they evacuate the pax using the escape slides? Or did they just deem the a/c safe and decide to use stairs?
Planeprincess

CORULEZ05

RE: Why No Emergency Slides On JetBlue A/c?

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:19 am

Quoting Speedbird19 (Thread starter):
Or did they just deem the a/c safe and decide to use stairs?

The aircraft was safe enough to be evacuated via the stairs. There was no point in using the slides when the plane was ok (besides the gear). Many times people get injured going down the slides so it was a safety percaution. Just remember that lady that died after going down a slide of a Saudi B744. Slides weren't needed thankfully so everyone was able to evacuate calmly via the stairs.

And OF COURSE the A320 does have emergency slides....  Silly
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

A330

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:20 am

There clearly was no IMMEDIATE danger for loss of life, so then no evacuation should be initiated. Evacuations always result in injuries, so don't do them unless it is really necessary. The flight-crew made a very wise decision.
Shiek!

FlyPIJets

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:21 am

They determined there was no urgent need to evacuate the a/c.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

litz

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:23 am

Quoting Speedbird19 (Thread starter):
Just something that's been bugging me but, It's just occurred to me, why didn't they evacuate the pax using the escape slides? Or did they just deem the a/c safe and decide to use stairs?

Exactly that ...

Evacuating an aircraft on the slides is a very perilous endeavor. Someone is likely to break a leg, arm, ankle, etc on the way down. A lot of someones are going to end up with friction burns. And everyone would probably end up having to get checked out by the EMTs.

If you come to a stop, and the firefighters tell the pilot "no flames", and the pilot has no red lights, there's no reason to dump the slides ... far, far, far easier and much safer to roll up a set of stairs and let people just walk off.

- litz

speedbird19

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:25 am

thought just as much  Wink I'm always inquisitive!
Planeprincess

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:25 am

I've another question...

Why didn't the pilots used speed brakes when they landed? Is that part of the emergency procedure?

Greetz!
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

speedbird19

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:31 am

By the looks of the videos I've seen from the news, the plane was decending smoothly and slowly so there wouldn't of been any need for speedbrakes
Planeprincess

CORULEZ05

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:33 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 6):
Why didn't the pilots used speed brakes when they landed? Is that part of the emergency procedure?

They didn't use thrust reversers to avoid getting pieces of metal from the landing gear sucked into the engines. I myself was surprised when I didn't see them deployed but afterwards, I thought about it and it made sense why they wouldn't use them. Of course not using them meant they used just about all of the 10k+ runway... 

[Edited 2005-09-22 22:34:04]
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

luisca

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:33 am

How much time till the first lawsuit? I say by tomorrow (why waist the weekend?)
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

CTHEWORLD

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:34 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 6):

CG would have shifted forward, putting the nose gear on the runway too early

ETStar

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:38 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 6):
I've another question...

Greetz!

Was wondering about the same, but would that not have fueld the flames we saw at the nosewheel?

Bobster2

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:39 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 8):
They didn't use thrust reversers to avoid getting pieces of metal from the landing gear sucked into the engines.

A sudden deceleration would throw way too much weight on the front wheels. They were trying to keep weight off the front wheels not on them. That plus the fact that the engines were shut down immediately after touchdown are some other reasons why no reverse thrust was used.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

jetbluefan1

Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 9):

I actually don't smell a single lawsuit on this one. No one was even remotely hurt, so they cannot get a penney.

JetBluefan1

BCAL

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 13):
I actually don't smell a single lawsuit on this one. No one was even remotely hurt, so they cannot get a penney

But it happened in law-suit crazy USA on an US registered aircraft. What about the trauma that passengers will say they went through? The extra trauma watching the incident on PTVs? Were those people behind the fire crews mercenary lawyers smelling money to be made?!?

sarcastic 
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

stlgph

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:03 am

I actually don't smell a single lawsuit on this one. No one was even remotely hurt, so they cannot get a penney.

Someone will find a way.

"Negligence caused the landing gear to break which threatened my well being."

blah blah blah
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ContinentalFan

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:12 am

Even if you could make a case for negligence (which you could, the employer is generally held liable for the negligence of the employee, i.e. the mechanic or whoever, not the pilot), it would be hard to prove damages. Damages for mental anguish, etc. are actually pretty hard to prove, especially on their own and without other damages. No lawyer in his right mind would take up a case like this, when the odds of recovery are so slim and yuo're taking the case no contingency (e.g. paid only if you win).

N1120A

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 1):
And OF COURSE the A320 does have emergency slides....

Only if it is overwater equipped, which jetBlue's are

Quoting 797 (Reply 6):

Why didn't the pilots used speed brakes when they landed?

Speed brakes or Thrust Reversers? Remember, they had to do basically all the braking on the rear wheels, which is a bit precarious when using TRs as well. They made the right call in everyway

Of course not using them meant they used just about all of the 10k+ runway...

Quoting Luisca (Reply 9):
How much time till the first lawsuit? I say by tomorrow (why waist the weekend?)

Quoting BCAL (Reply 14):

But it happened in law-suit crazy USA on an US registered aircraft. What about the trauma that passengers will say they went through? The extra trauma watching the incident on PTVs? Were those people behind the fire crews mercenary lawyers smelling money to be made?!?

Quoting STLGph (Reply 15):
Someone will find a way.

"Negligence caused the landing gear to break which threatened my well being."

no  Ye who do not know about what ye speak shall not cast stones
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

pualani

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:02 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):

Are you saying that A320s are not equipped with evac slides if they are not overwater qualified ? That doesn't sound right to me? Better check that info again.

pualani

baw716

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:08 am

Once the aircraft came to a halt on the runway, the fire department was on it within 30 seconds. Since there was no fire, that was reported to the cockpit. No EVAC command was given initially. An inspection of the front strut confirmed that it was still intact and was not in danger of collapse. Once that was confirmed, there was no need to do an emergency evacuation, which would have involved evacuating the aircraft within 90 seconds. This most certainly would have caused injuries and burns especially from the slides if people put their hands down on them going down.

An on ground emergency would be declared by the captain only and repeat only if the aircraft was in immediate danger of fire or structural failure and it would appear that from the landing, if the strut did not fail during the landing, it would not collaspe once the aircraft stopped. He did the correct and prudent thing by allowing the FD and maintenance inspectors to visually inspect the top of the strut for damage before allowing passengers off the aircraft.

From what I saw live on TV (yes I was watching and had my A320QRH out as well), the entire procedure was textbook.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

aa757first

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:09 am

I don't think anyone was hurt in the SkyService flight, which was a Canadian aircraft, and there was a lawsuit filed.

He means evacuation slides or evacuation chutes, not an auxiliary life raft.

AAndrew

sausageandmash

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:11 am

All A320s are equipped with evacuation slides, whether overwater equipped or not. Some may have "slide rafts", which can be used as a raft in a ditching situation, but others will just have what are known as "slide/flotation aids", which cannot be sat on in ditching, simply held on to.

But all will have evacuation slides. How else is one expected to get out in an emergency? Next time you're on an A320 take a look at the drop from the door. I don't reckon it would be a good idea not to have slides.
Hello - it's me again

PRAirbus

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:52 am

If there was no fire or imminent threat it is wise not to send paxs down the slides and prevent injuries. Keep in mind during an emergency evacuation human nature takes over (anxiety, stress, fear) and people could get injured. I agree w/the crew's decision to use ramp-stands instead. Good job!

pilotaydin

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:04 am

That's pretty pathetic if someone decides to sue, im sorry, we should find the bastard and give them 1 hour of detention in an A.net forum  Smile
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

prebennorholm

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:15 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 6):
Why didn't the pilots used speed brakes when they landed?

There was no need for braking. They had one of the world's longest runways - way more than twice of what was needed for a normal landing.

What mattered was to keep the nose wheel lifted as long as possible. The speed brakes would have turbulated the airflow around the tailplane a little and therefore the nose would have come down at a slightly higher speed.

They probably used main wheel brakes as long as the tailplane still had plenty of authority to keep the nose up.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

captaink

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:20 am

It was safe to leave aircraft using the airstairs. Using the slides as mentioned is or can be dangerous. Added to that it is an expense option. To reinstall emergency slides does cost the airline a few grand each. And I think they have enough expense with this airplane to deal with..

P.S. when I worked on the airport, we were careful with A320 doors. If the door is armed and you try to open it from the inside the slide will deploy. Hint-it is disarmed automatically if opened from the outside...
There is something special about planes....

lincoln

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:22 am

I asked this question in another thread and didn't get any responses so...

Why was the L1 door and only the L1 door used? Wouldn't there have been some additional safety gained by using the L2 door and keeping the weight away from the front, or, since it appears there was at least one other set of air stairs available (ARFF's "Stair 80"), why not use L1 and L2... I know if I were on that plane, even if "no immediate danger" I'd want off ASAP.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

captaink

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:35 am

Good question.. maybe to prevent chaos.. control everyone by allowing them through L1.. The thing is, like you I assumed it would have been unsafe to deplane on the end of the aircraft with the messed up wheel... Well it turned out ok..
There is something special about planes....

crogalski

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:40 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 26):
Why was the L1 door and only the L1 door used? Wouldn't there have been some additional safety gained by using the L2 door and keeping the weight away from the front, or, since it appears there was at least one other set of air stairs available (ARFF's "Stair 80"), why not use L1 and L2... I know if I were on that plane, even if "no immediate danger" I'd want off ASAP.

maybe to not shift the weight to the back, so that the front would come up? I believe its also called.. "Rising and Settling"...
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

RobertS975

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:43 am

For the landing, the passengers were reseated as far back as possible to keep the CG as far aft as feasible, at least according to one report that I saw on CNN.

September11

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:54 am

I was expecting them to use emergency slides ... I went like "I am going to watch emergency slides deploy on TV" .. What color is jetBlue's emergency slide -- yellow or grey or?
Airliners.net of the Future

lightsaber
Crew

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:55 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 23):
That's pretty pathetic if someone decides to sue, im sorry, we should find the bastard and give them 1 hour of detention in an A.net forum

Not harsh enough. The penalty should be moderating all A vs. B threads for a month on A.net!

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

flymia

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:57 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 14):

Airlines are protected in the US against law suits like that. Passengers know they are going on an airplane and once they buy the ticket it is just like understanding the risk of flying. In major crashes airlines will give victims familys settlements which almost none of them go to court. Airlines dont like going to court and most wont. And the courts go with the airlines.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

bond007

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:30 am

Bear in mind that also using the evac slides just for heck of it, changes the nature of the incident. It may or may not be reportable to the NTSB (see FAR 830, but landing gear problems usually don't need to be reported to NTSB), BUT if they used the evac slides for emergency evacuation, the incident is reportable to the NTSB .... and no doubt much paperwork, and other people looking at the incident rather than just JetBlue.

Of course, if there was any safety issue they would have used them anyway .... but it does make a difference from a reporting standpoint.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Mir

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:48 pm

Quoting 797 (Reply 6):

Speedbrakes are used during landing in order to get rid of lift, thus getting the weight of the plane onto the wheels to make the brakes more effective. In this case, getting the weight onto the wheels would be a bad thing, thus no speedbrakes.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

320tech

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:10 pm

Why was the L1 door and only the L1 door used?

Maybe there was only one stairs truck handy. There would be no C of G problem with unloading pax via L2.

What color is jetBlue's emergency slide -- yellow or grey or?

I'd like to be able to tell you they're colour-coded to co-ordinate with the tail paint scheme ... but unfortunately they are yellow and grey.

In one of the other threads, someone has posted the A320 checklist for this incident. It specifically calls for no thrust reversers, and no speedbrakes, for the reasons mentioned in other posts above.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

HAWK21M

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:47 pm

They didn't use thrust reversers to avoid getting pieces of metal from the landing gear sucked into the engines.

Operating T/Rs would get the NLG on the Ground faster.The Idea was to delay that.
Im surprised the Fuse bolts didn't shear off.I wonder if the A320s have them.
All in All,everything went as per procedure.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ultrapig

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:52 pm

Philo:

One hour of detention in an aNet forum would be cruel and unsusal punsihment in violation of the 8th amendment

KALB

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:39 pm

A previous poster wrote,"No lawyer in his right mind would take up a case like this, when the odds of recovery are so slim and yuo're taking the case no contingency (e.g. paid only if you win)."

Now, how many American lawyers are in their right mind? Not many IMHO.

CORULEZ05

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:58 pm

huh? Only overwater equipped A320's have emergency slides? Doesn't sound right to me..........
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

FlyGuyClt

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:18 am

Here are some answers to the questions I have seen.

ALL A-320 airplanes are equipped with Slides at Doors 1L 1R 2L 2R. Now, if it is over water equipped, that just mean that the slides are double lane and have survival kits attached to them before impact, of course only for a ditching. All other A-320's have single lane slides. The difference is Slide/Raft or just a slide. (Get it?) Also, ALL four window exits have slides that inflate when you open the window exit. ALL four floor level door exit slides maybe detached and used for flotation if needed.

As for the pilot. YOU iced it in perfect. Awesome Job !

As for not using the slides to evac. Most injuries occur when you have fools sliding down the slides and trying to get their personal belongs out. LEAVE YOUR SHI@ and get out Folks. So, the pilot most likely made a P.A. similar to this when he knew the airplane was in NO danger "This is the Captain Remain Seated" which then tells the F/A's NOT to evac, however stay on guard and if they see anything that would warrant to get out. They would then start an evac. SO, the stairs where in place, the ground crew was ready, when the fire department gave the all clear. They deplaned. Sounds like an awesome day for an emergency plan that worked. The reason that only Door 1L was used is to keep the passengers all together for their safety and get them right on a bus for transportation.

Safe Flying  Smile

Hope this clears up some issues for the ones that just don't get it sometimes.
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

Starlionblue

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:21 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 1):
And OF COURSE the A320 does have emergency slides....

You're confusing overwater equipment.

ALL airliners with a certain number of pax AND a certain height from door to ground are required to have slides.

However, if the aircraft never strays more than x nautical miles (50?) from the coast there is no requirement for life vests.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

mikeyCpvd

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:03 am

Quoting RobertS975 (Reply 29):
For the landing, the passengers were reseated as far back as possible to keep the CG as far aft as feasible, at least according to one report that I saw on CNN

How many passengers do the B6 Airbii accomodate? 139 customers doesn't leave a lot of empty seats available for re-seating.
Some cats think i'm 6 feet, I'm so deep; I can get d-d-down like a pessimist - Common

N405MX

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 39):
huh? Only overwater equipped A320's have emergency slides? Doesn't sound right to me..........

Quoting Flyguyclt (Reply 40):
Here are some answers to the questions I have seen.

ALL A-320 airplanes are equipped with Slides at Doors 1L 1R 2L 2R. Now, if it is over water equipped, that just mean that the slides are double lane and have survival kits attached to them before impact, of course only for a ditching. All other A-320's have single lane slides.

Also, the A320 have slides on the wing (below the emergency exits).

Quoting Captaink (Reply 25):
P.S. when I worked on the airport, we were careful with A320 doors. If the door is armed and you try to open it from the inside the slide will deploy. Hint-it is disarmed automatically if opened from the outside...

The F/A´s have to disarm the slide from the inside, when you open an A318/19/20 door from the outside, the slide disarms automatically, also the A320 has a second air bottle to open the door automatically when the slide is armed.
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

grandtheftaero

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:12 am

Quoting CTHEWORLD (Reply 10):
Quoting 797 (Reply 6):

How would the CG shift from speed brake deployment?

crogalski

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:25 am

Quoting MikeyCpvd (Reply 42):
How many passengers do the B6 Airbii accomodate? 139 customers doesn't leave a lot of empty seats available for re-seating.

http://www.jetblue.com./travelinfo/ourfleet/a320.asp
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

arffguy

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:38 am

I don't believe for a minute that the passengers were sent to the rear of the plane to alter the C.G. It would be far safer to have them strapped in their seats normally. If you have in fact heard this from someone in the know (and not ignorant TV reporters) let me know. One of our local reporters said the same stupid thing and all of us at the firehouse wanted to scream. What you saw was a textbook example of exactly how everything was supposed to work. That was a perfect example of a soft field landing followed by no fire and no reason to use the slides. No airline wants to turn a non-injury incident into a mass-casualty incident nor does the EMS community need that. As far as the C.G. goes, it doesn't change except when weight (cargo/people) is moved around inside the plane. And yes, all passenger A-320's have slides. One other thing, foaming the runway is a complete waste of time and resources and is old school. Our local reporters were asking about that. And when we told them that we don't foam runways anymore---------they misquoted us on the news saying that we didn't use foam at all anymore. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHH!
Time to spare, go by air.

tribird1011

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:40 am

Quoting GrandTheftAero (Reply 44):
Quoting CTHEWORLD (Reply 10):
Quoting 797 (Reply 6):

How would the CG shift from speed brake deployment?

Maybe it won't shift the CG, but it will definitely put more weight on the nose wheel, which in this case you don't want.

Think of it this way- when you're driving in your car and you let it coast to a stop, there is hardly any forward movement; now if you're driving and you slam on the brakes, you are definitely going to move forward -

that would be the equivalent of applying more weight on the nose - so therefore, no heavy braking -ie. no speedbrakes and no thrust reversers...

avgroupie

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:22 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 14):

I was traumatized just watching it at home on TV, listening to the doom and gloom experts. This may be a CAT 5 tort case....... having a nationwide class action suit.
 dollarsign   cheerful 

sanjet

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:48 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 12):
A sudden deceleration would throw way too much weight on the front wheels. They were trying to keep weight off the front wheels not on them. That plus the fact that the engines were shut down immediately after touchdown are some other reasons why no reverse thrust was used.

Are you serious?!?! Aren't the brakes hydraulically controlled and the hyrdraulics pumps are engine driven. I would find that hard to believe, that would mean no wheel brakes would be available after landing. I don't think the engines were shut down upon touchdown.
Will Fly For Food!