7LBAC111
Topic Author

Ryanair 'on Course' To Serve TFN

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:20 pm

Source: Travel Trade Gazette.

The market to Tenerife looks set for a radical shake-up as the island earmarks funds to entice a no-frills carrier from the UK to fly to its northern airport.
A subsidy of £1.2 million has been generated by tourism bodies to tempt a no-frills airline to begin services in April 2006. Tenerife North is currently served direct from the UK only by GB Airways.
The island’s hotel and tourism officials confirmed advanced talks had taken place with Ryanair, which has said it could run six return flights a week from Stansted and Nottingham East Midlands, plus flights from two airports in Germany, mainland Spain, and possibly Dublin and Belgium.

This would surely become the longest FR sector, and is a bit of a shift in FR's strategy for shorter duration flights. Any comments?

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

gkirk

RE: Ryanair 'on Course' To Serve TFN

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:25 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):
Tenerife North is currently served direct from the UK only by GB Airways.

And Britannia  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

richardw

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:25 pm

But the passengers want to go to TFS, where the sun shines more.

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:30 pm

I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that TFS is chosen. I guess the majority of hoteliers will have property in the south.

cornish

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:33 pm

But how congested is Tenerife South in peak season? Could North be a preferable place for FR to serve if the turnaround times are much quicker - and of course if the incentives are there....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

gkirk

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:36 pm

Ah, but could Ryanair's 738s with de-rated engines make it from the UK to Tenerife nonstop  Wink
I know easyJets 737-700s (with a longer range than the -800) sometimes struggle on NCL-AGP with a full load.

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:38 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 5):
Ah, but could Ryanair's 738s with de-rated engines make it from the UK to Tenerife nonstop
I know easyJets 737-700s (with a longer range than the -800) sometimes struggle on NCL-AGP with a full load

Hmm - perhaps a prelude to FR 787's then? LOL.

7LBAC111

cornish

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:38 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 5):
Ah, but could Ryanair's 738s with de-rated engines make it from the UK to Tenerife nonstop

It'll be fine - FR will insist on hand luggage only  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

aireuropeuk733

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:46 pm

Haven't Jet2 got some 752s in the pipeline for this purpose of serving Tenerife from the UK? I could be wrong!

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:51 pm

Quoting AirEuropeUK733 (Reply 8):
Haven't Jet2 got some 752s in the pipeline for this purpose of serving Tenerife from the UK

Not wrong at all, they have a couple for the LBA-Tenerife run

7LBAC111

aireuropeuk733

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:05 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 9):
Not wrong at all, they have a couple for the LBA-Tenerife run

Just LBA? IS there that sort of demand from LBA - I thought they might try MAN or LGW?

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

RAFVC10

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:05 pm

I have great doubts about this information. My notices, colleagues,... put future Ryanair flights in TFS airport because:

1. TFS is open all day 24 hours. TFN close its facilities at 23:00 hours.

2. The fog isn´t a problem a TFS. When fog come from Teide mountain to the Los Rodeos Airport, many flights must be diverted to TFS.

3. We know that northern european people search in the Canary Island is sun. In TFN you don´t find it.

Sorry, but as I knew when I worked in TFN as a second scale head of JK, many airlines asked for permissions to land in this airport and the answer had been, always, NO!!!!!
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

Orion737

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:11 pm

I do feel like I know a bit about TFN after following ts fortunes for years and holidaying in Puerto De La Cruz many, many times.

I dont think that TFN would be a good destination for Ryanair. Holidaymakers who visit the North are a different breed from those visiting the South of the island.

Instead of sun seeking families, young singles in search of lager and sex in the Veronicas area of Las Americas. The Northern holiday area of Puerto De La Cruz and visitors to the towns of La Orotava and Candelaria are older, more gentile holidaymakers. They dont mind the cloudier weather because they are looking for sighseeing and a differnt type of holiday.

TFN is indeed under served from the UK. However, I feel an increase in charter flights would better suit the area rather than a lo-cost carrier, particulalry Ryanair.

I must admit, While very concerned at the lack of visitors to the North of Tenerfie in recent years, I would be sad to see the area overrun with cheap and cheeerful Ryanair holidaymakers changing the area beyond recognition and perhaps turning away the older holidaymaker who has been returning to Puerto De La Cruz for years!

Buyantukhaa

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:11 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 5):
I know easyJets 737-700s (with a longer range than the -800) sometimes struggle on NCL-AGP with a full load.

AMS-FNC is 1504 nm, flown by HV in a 737 (-7 or -8)
STN-TFN is 1588 nm. Not such a huge difference, yet it might be just at the limit of the 737's range.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

gkirk

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:14 pm

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 13):
AMS-FNC is 1504 nm, flown by HV in a 737 (-7 or -8)
STN-TFN is 1588 nm. Not such a huge difference, yet it might be just at the limit of the 737's range.

It's extremely easy for a normal 737, but Ryanair and easyJet 737s for example, use de-rated engines therefore the range is less.
Airlines such as Excel and flyGlobespan operate 738s nonstop from GLA to TFS with no problems.

Orion737

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:26 pm

RAFVC10 has raised some very good points. I cant see Ryanair being happy at being 'trapped' in TFN waiting for the dense fog/cloud to lift which often descends upon the airport. Imagine the knock on effect on Ryanairs tight schedule?

Also raised a good point about the nature f tourism in the North. Sunseeking, lager swilling revellers would find little to amuse them in the North.

North and South Tenerife are two very different markets!

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:29 pm

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 11):
I have great doubts about this information. My notices, colleagues,... put future Ryanair flights in TFS airport because:

Draw your own conclusions, but I have aclnowledged the likelihood of TFS already.

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 3):
guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that TFS is chosen

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 12):
Instead of sun seeking families, young singles in search of lager and sex in the Veronicas area of Las Americas. The Northern holiday area of Puerto De La Cruz and visitors to the towns of La Orotava and Candelaria are older, more gentile holidaymakers. They dont mind the cloudier weather because they are looking for sighseeing and a differnt type of holiday.

I would be sad to see the area overrun with cheap and cheeerful Ryanair holidaymakers

You really shouldnt stereotype Orion. Gets you in bother. Ryanairs passengers consist of the full mix of traveller, from Businessman to lagerlout. TFN does have business traffic too - a couple of my customers use GB's services there.

7LBAC111

Orion737

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:34 pm

Yes but the few UK business travellers are currently adequatley catered for with existing GB Airways services.

Santa Cruz does receive some business travel but this is not considerable, particularly from the UK.

cornish

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:00 pm

Mmm and no lager swilling tourists EVER fly on your beloved charter carriers do they Orion  Yeah sure

I would be sad to see the area overrun with cheap and cheeerful Ryanair holidaymakers changing the area beyond recognition and perhaps turning away the older holidaymaker who has been returning to Puerto De La Cruz for years!

Can't be any more annoying for the locals than you there whinging about absolutely everything like Victor Meldrew  Wink

cornish

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:04 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 17):
Yes but the few UK business travellers are currently adequatley catered for with existing GB Airways services.

Santa Cruz does receive some business travel but this is not considerable, particularly from the UK.

I think 7LBAC was referring to your views on FR passengers in general, not Tenerife in particular.

would be sad to see the area overrun with cheap and cheeerful Ryanair holidaymakers

Well at least they'd be cheerful......

gkirk

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:06 pm

So people that fly with Ryanair are "cheap" are they?  Yeah sure
You really do need to stop these stereotypes  Wink

atco2b

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:09 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 1):
And Britannia

Officially now under Thomson branding, but I know what you mean  Wink
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

cornish

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:11 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 20):
So people that fly with Ryanair are "cheap" are they?

Not as cheap as someone who gets his grandparents to pay for all his numerous flights  Wink

Orion737

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:12 pm

Im not stereotyping Ryanair passengers. I dont think it is saying too much though to say that the type of passengers enduring over 4 hours on a Ryanair flight to TFN, Spain wouldnt all be business travellers and wealthy cloud bathing holidaymakers all booked in the Hotel Melia Botanico!

[Edited 2005-09-23 14:12:30]

[Edited 2005-09-23 14:12:46]

[Edited 2005-09-23 14:13:06]

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:13 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 19):
I think 7LBAC was referring to your views on FR passengers in general, not Tenerife in particular

Exactly that. Just couln't be arsed correcting him. Again.  sigh  yawn 

Pe@rson

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:13 pm

Goodness me - stop the stereotypical codswallop and get back to the topic. It is a shame that a potentially good thread is swamped by irrelevant and mindless drivel. It would be OK if it merely happened occasionally, but it happens frequently.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Orion737

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 pm

I think even many of FR s most ardent fans might not fancy a flight of over four hours duration with them to an airport miles from las Americas.

TFS could work well for FR though!

Pe@rson

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:18 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 23):
Im not stereotyping Ryanair passengers. I dont think it is saying too much though to say that the type of passengers enduring over 4 hours on a Ryanair flight to TFN, Spain wouldnt all be business travellers and wealthy cloud bathing holidaymakers all booked in the Hotel Melia Botanico!

You REALLY need to consider how you are perceived. Let me help you: you seem to be a contradictory, hypercritical, condescending person who think he’s better than everyone else and that lifestyle is the main consideration for being good. It’s rather tiresome – especially after reading such stuff for the millionth time. I realise that I can be somewhat argumentative and that my views - especially those relating to FR - are not necessarily in-line with what most people seem to think, but I don't care.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

qm001

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:19 pm

How does HV do the AMS TFS and LPA with 737-800's? I have flown to both with them.
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!

Orion737

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:20 pm

OK Pe@rson lets address the weather issue: Would the weather in TFN, its susecptability to dense fog/ low cloud affect FRs operation? I think it would. I wouldnt like to think, given FRs tight turnaround times, the knock on affect of a considerable delay at TFn due to weather restrictions.

I can imagine the chaos and disruption to a high clycle airline like FR. One of their 738s s due back at STN to operate a flight to Torp while it is trapped by the cloud and waiting for it to liftbefore it can return from TFN

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:22 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 27):
I realise that I can be somewhat argumentative and that my views - especially those relating to FR - are not necessarily in-line with what most people seem to think, but I don't care.

But what you do do James is provide detailed rationale, insight and experience to support your views. Thats what Orion consistently fails to do. He is a tired enthusiast, out of touch with the industry and out of tocuh with reality.

So much for the 'new' Orion we were all promised.

7LBAC111

gkirk

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:23 pm

Quoting QM001 (Reply 28):
How does HV do the AMS TFS and LPA with 737-800's? I have flown to both with them.

The HV 737s do not have de-rated engines.
I.E. a lot of EZY 73Gs I believe only have 22K thrust, whilst say someone like Astraeus will have 24/26K thrust engines giving the a/c extra range.

Orion737

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:25 pm

I know I am disliked by many one here. I am not here to win popularity polls, however. I am here to put forward my views and contribute to the discussions. I speak my mind and I call a spade a spade. Im from Yorkshire and we talk straight up here.

Political correctness may not be my strong point but it seems politeness and tolerance of others views is in short supply at time here on Airliners.

Now, perhaps you could addess the potetial problem of weather at TFN and its potential impact on Ryanairs operation

gkirk

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:28 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 32):
I know I am disliked by many one here.

Nobody dislikes you. It's just that you need to stop complaining about things so much  Wink

Pe@rson

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:30 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 29):
Would the weather in TFN, its susecptability to dense fog/ low cloud affect FRs operation?

I have not done the necessary research to answer fairly and accurately. But if FR is considering TFN then trust me they'd have done their research: they aren't dumb. Accordingly, I will go with whatever they say.

Does TFN have CAT3? If yes, would the dense fog/low cloud be OK?

Orion737

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:31 pm

I wasnt refering to you our Gkirk. I think the 3 people who gang up on me, know who they are. I equate them with the school bullies who used to pinch my sweets.

I dont hate them though. I just wish they would accept that just because I disagree with them sometimes, dosent mean I dont love them Big grin

cornish

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:31 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 29):
OK Pe@rson lets address the weather issue: Would the weather in TFN, its susecptability to dense fog/ low cloud affect FRs operation? I think it would. I wouldnt like to think, given FRs tight turnaround times, the knock on affect of a considerable delay at TFn due to weather restrictions.

I can imagine the chaos and disruption to a high clycle airline like FR. One of their 738s s due back at STN to operate a flight to Torp while it is trapped by the cloud and waiting for it to liftbefore it can return from TFN

I'd rather you addressed your narrow minded stereotypes first.....

But as for delays and bad weather. The next flight out of STN would just get cancelled, that's the FR way.

And fog can happen anywhere- I've been turned away from STN close to final approach before and diverted to LHR becuase the fog was so bad they closed the entire airport....Much more of an issue for an aircraft base than a mere destination.

But I for one would be surprised to see FR at Tenerife, North or South, not because of the type of passenger (lets face it anywhere Orion goes on his charter flights is ideal for his perceived FR passenger  Wink), not becuase of the weather, but purely because of the distance and the effect it would have on daily rotations/sectors flown of aircraft.

Yes i know there are others who may do, but of all the LCCs, FR is the one airline that is least likely to budge from its winning formula.

But you never know  Smile

Orion737

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:34 pm

The topography of Northern tenerife and its resulting climatic consitions would cause problems on a more regular basis than at London Stansted!

And Pe@rson we know you would always follow Ryanairs view! Anyone who knows you, knows that.

I reckon you have a picture of your hero MOL on your wall, stood by a Ryanair 738 in the Nuddy Big grin

Pe@rson

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:35 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 36):
FR is the one airline that is least likely to budge from its winning formula.

I agree. A possiblity, perhaps, would be night flights, but I won't hold my breath.

gkirk

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:36 pm

Quite a lot of the time TFN is basked by sunshine. However, the mist/fog can appear within minutes, that being the main problem at Los Rodeos.

Wouldnt want an FR 737 to knock the Icod de los Vinos (Dragon Tree) tree down would we?  Wink

cornish

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:40 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 32):
I know I am disliked by many one here. I am not here to win popularity polls, however. I am here to put forward my views and contribute to the discussions. I speak my mind and I call a spade a spade. Im from Yorkshire and we talk straight up here.

Political correctness may not be my strong point but it seems politeness and tolerance of others views is in short supply at time here on Airliners.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 35):
I think the 3 people who gang up on me, know who they are. I equate them with the school bullies who used to pinch my sweets.

Nobody hates you Orion - god we'd be bored if you weren't here, but you can't expect to slag off and look down your nose at certain types of people and expect nobody to pull you up on it. you're hardly polite and tolerent in the way you stereotype certain people - whether it be passengers on LCCs, business travellers or whatever.

Just as in Yorkshire, people in Northern Ireland and the West Country speak our minds and call a spade a spade too - so you should be able to recognise that. Its because we DON'T stereotype that we pull you up on these issues. Perthaps becuase we all know about wrong steretyping of Northern Ireland, Cornwall or wherever (Scotland being fair game however  Wink )

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 35):
I dont hate them though. I just wish they would accept that just because I disagree with them sometimes, dosent mean I dont love them

Well that's ok then - feel free to have a hug and a beer any time your down london way - just not sure if you're classy enough to take into any of my drinking establishments: from North of Watford and he flies charter - eeeeughgh Big grin

Pe@rson

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:42 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 37):
And Pe@rson we know you would always follow Ryanairs view! Anyone who knows you, knows that.

Nope. I will openly criticise FR because of its inability to, for instance, establish brilliant and workable relationships with its stakeholders, plus other areas of its operation.  Smile I certainly don't think it - or any business - is perfect, by any stretch of the imagination.

cornish

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:48 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 37):
The topography of Northern tenerife and its resulting climatic consitions would cause problems on a more regular basis than at London Stansted!

Of course it would - my point being that fog can occur anywhere, but f it is merely a destination rather than a full base, then the weather may be less of an issue. you wouldn't base aircraft there if the risk was that great, but you might think the sums are worthwhile in terms of missed, diverted flights against potential revenue and costs.

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 38):
agree. A possiblity, perhaps, would be night flights, but I won't hold my breath.

Which is a rather neat trick that Gol have managed in Brazil - upped their daily utilization and sectors very nicely indeed.

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:54 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 40):
Just as in Yorkshire, people in Northern Ireland ... speak our minds and call a spade a spade too

Ahem! Are you referring to me? Big grin (*shocked)

Quoting Cornish (Reply 40):
Nobody hates you Orion - god we'd be bored if you weren't here, but you can't expect to slag off and look down your nose at certain types of people and expect nobody to pull you up on it. you're hardly polite and tolerent in the way you stereotype certain people - whether it be passengers on LCCs, business travellers or whatever.

I don't believe you can hate someone you don't actually know, so hate is thw wrong word Orion. I'm not your biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm no doubt not yours. But, as Cornish says, unless you stop this incessent tuppence-halfpenny snobbery, and disdain for people less fortunate to have wealthy grandparents, then I will continue to snipe. Purely for my own entertainment.

You know your stuff on charter carriers of old, but you have got to appreciate that now you're out of the industry, there are people with more informed opinions than your constant bitterness over the state of aviation (compared to yesteryear)

Quoting Cornish (Reply 36):
Much more of an issue for an aircraft base than a mere destination.

Indeed. FR will simply cancel the flight. They have nothing to worry about as they aren't liable for any delays caused by weather. If, and it's a big IF, TFN is chosen over TFS, it'll likely be one flight a week from the bases mentioned.

7LBAC111

vatry

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:59 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 42):
Which is a rather neat trick that Gol have managed in Brazil - upped their daily utilization and sectors very nicely indeed.

Malev have also tried this with night runs from Helsinki and Dublin to Athens and it appears to have worked quite well. This may however backfire, as all it appears to have done is confirm the viability of Dublin-Athens to both EI and FR. Expect one or both to be operating to Athens next summer.

cornish

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:03 pm

Unless of course (just to really throw the cat amongst the pigeons) rather than UK flights (despite the attempt to attract a UK LCC), FR may be looking at it as part of a greater push on starting spanish domestic flights, now they are more established in the country  Wink

Pe@rson

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:03 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 42):

And a very obvious one, too. It'd be especially good for WN, particularly on Western USA-Eastern and Mid flights.

When would the machines undergo their required daily mx? Arrive 9-10ish PM, stay for an hour or so, then go?

This form of new utilisation might open up new markets for FR, like TFN/TFS, which might otherwise not be possible, due to flight times and thus insufficient daily rotations, during the day.

richardw

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:09 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 23):
I dont think it is saying too much though to say that the type of passengers enduring over 4 hours on a Ryanair flight to TFN, Spain wouldnt all be business travellers and wealthy cloud bathing holidaymakers all booked in the Hotel Melia Botanico!

The http://www.hotelbotanico.com/menuingl.html isn't a www.solmelia.com hotel, it is part of http://www.lhw.com/property.aspx?propertyid=134&sessionid=0

Perhaps FR is thinking of opening a base in southern spain to shorten the sector length. To avoid knock on delays a return flight to TFN would be the last return flight of the day.

CalAir

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:58 pm

I know people are saying that FR have de-rated engines on their 738s but surely this cannot reduce the range of the a/c by that much? Another 738 operator that flys their a/c with full loads to destinations far further than the Canaries is XLA. According to great circle, these are the distances in comparison to TFS/TFN, all from Nottingham East Midlands:

TFN 1605nm
TFS 1634nm
BJL 2477nm
TLV 2002nm
SSH 2175nm
LXR 2235nm
LCA 1832nm

So flights to TFS and TFN obviously cannot be pushing the range of the 738 otherwise regular operations to the almost middle east would not be viable.
British Caledonian...we never forget, you have a choice

EZYAirbus

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:14 am

All very well but what would they advertise it as? Faro Southwest perhaps?
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com