badgerguy

Flightplan "the Movie"

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:28 am

Just saw Flightplan. Some cool interior shots of the plane. For once they didn't show the interior of a wide body and the take off of a 737. Good suspense. Jody Foster was excellent of course. It was worth the $6 for an afternoon show.

Btriple7

RE: Flightplan "the Movie"

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:55 am

Cool. I am going to go to the movie tonight. I'll give you my feedback.

Regards,
Btriple7
Just...fly.

AlitaliaMD11

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:35 am

I just saw it and I think I can sum it up in one word, beautiful!
Something that I didn't like was the constant un-realistic turbulence.

Also I noticed a Iberia A319 in the backround when they show the plane parked a t the gate in Berlin.
No Vueling No Party

LongbowPilot

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:59 am

I'll look for it at the next Haji Bazaar here in Afghanistan.

monorail

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:29 am

Just got back from the movie, I thought it was decent. The story itself was so-so. Then again, the only reason I went was for the aviation theme.

On a bit of a tangent...
Before the movie, I saw the trailer from the Gulf War movie "Jarhead."
They were getting off a United 747 that had a Star Alliance logo on the door. If I'm not mistaken, Star Alliance didn't exist during the last Gulf War, did it?
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

UnitedFirst

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:56 am

They were getting off a United 747 that had a Star Alliance logo on the door. If I'm not mistaken, Star Alliance didn't exist during the last Gulf War, did it?

SAME HERE!

I was like freaking out...I thought it was so amazing that they had that shot of Jake Gyllenhaal stepping off the 747 with the Star Alliance logo above him. Of course, the words "Star Alliance" were scrubbed off � as was the plane's larger "UNITED AIRLINES" insignia. I'm sure the directors thought that star image was interesting, and that viewers would think that it was just a special armed forces flight logo.

There was also a clearly recognizable ex-Delta L1011.

Back to Flightplan, though. My one major problem? Why did this supposedly brand new plane look as though it had suffered its way through multiple hail storms, and had a polishing job comparable to the worst one imaginable in the AA livery?! I mean, maybe to add to the darkness of the flick? Still...with all the computer graphics capabilities we have today, c'mon.

Oh...and the little avionics "ring" in the cargo bay? Gotta love the movies.

Derek

LongbowPilot

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:04 pm

Quoting UnitedFirst (Reply 5):
I was like freaking out...

C'mon yourself, why you getting so wrapped up over a logo? It is one thing when they have a 747 interior and a 737 exterior. Paint schemes are more tolerable.

ATLFlyer323

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:08 pm

Quoting Badgerguy (Thread starter):
For once they didn't show the interior of a wide body and the take off of a 737

Ya like during Redeye when they kept switching between a 737, 767-200, and a airbus A320 I think. Anyways I got elbowed many times by my friends (and quite a few, your the biggest nerd I've ever seen looks) for pointing out the many different plane changes. Overall I loved the movie though. Going to go see Flightplan tomorrow!  Smile
~BRandon
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

ikramerica

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:33 pm

Why is "the movie" in quotes? Are you implying it is a "movie" in name only or something?

For all the people annoyed with technical issues regarding planes in movies, it's shocking how many don't seem to worry about technical issues when it comes to grammar.

Try:

"Flightplan," the movie

Movie titles should be in "quotes" when there is no access/alternative to italics.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LongbowPilot

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:44 pm

how does one put in the emoticon for eye rolling..

Ah hell

badgerguy

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:54 pm

"WOW" IKramerica you need a "date" bad or at least roll over on your wife once in a while if you're "married"

propilotjw

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:15 pm

I thought the movie was great. Damn it had me fooled going back and fourth throughout it wondering who was who and stuff like that... I have to rent it when it comes out to watch a part again... if you see the movie, you will know what I mean.

PPVRA

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:16 pm

Quoting UnitedFirst (Reply 5):

Oh...and the little avionics "ring" in the cargo bay? Gotta love the movies.

Seriously. Big a** spacious room. The nose cone as well...

Good movie though.

Cheers
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

PIA747

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:28 pm

Might go see it when it comes out.

Looks like they are in the A380 by looking at the trailor Big grin

Fly2HMO

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:39 pm

I just came back from watching it and it sucked, and the rest of my friends thought that too. I was expecting that even before I saw it, but what the heck, there was nothing better to do.

I thought the plot was terrible. Why would those two guys at the hotel stare at her, even inside the plane, if they had nothing to do with it? Why would the F/A say the captain is starting the descent, if the captain was next to the flight attendant? I know movies with airplanes are very inaccurate, but I wasn't expecting the plot to be that corny.

Anyways, it's past my bedtime  old 

ikramerica

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:13 pm

Quoting Badgerguy (Reply 10):
"WOW" IKramerica you need a "date" bad or at least roll over on your wife once in a while if you're "married"

Hey, I'm a movie writer by trade, and just like many here get annoyed when a 737 exterior is shown then a widebody interior, I get annoyed when people screw up simple things like use of quotes, titles, etc. in the topic line. Typos in the body of responses, no biggie. But is it that hard to not make mistakes in topics lines? Are we that lazy? In the grand scheme of things, getting this kind of thing right is much more important than having the correct logo over an airplane door.

I love the response though. It's okay to be trivial about such important things as a misclassified plane or someone getting the engine manufacturer wrong on for an obscure carrier, but if someone screws up something mundane like simple communication, well it's anal to point THAT out...

For me, the topic was misleading because of the quotes. I was fully expecting you to say this thing was horrible, that it was barely "a movie." Just like you expect to see a narrowbody interior when you see a 737 exterior, I stupidly expected a bad review of the film based on the 737 in your topic line. But it turns out you liked it! What a twist! You're review was a widebody inside after all!

I checked your profile, thinking you had to be all of 15 by your enlightened response, but you're an old man still posting "dude, you need to get laid" comments. I guess age has little to do with maturity.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

AA777

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:20 pm

I thought Flightplan was a great movie. The plane was pretty well represented. The interior set of the airplane was excellently portrayed IMHO. The movie itself I thought was good too, a great plot, and a great twist toward the end. I didnt expect what happened to happen at all.... it gets my vote two thumbs up  Smile  Smile

-AA777

MissedApproach

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:33 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 15):
But is it that hard to not make mistakes in topics lines? Are we that lazy?

Given what passes for education nowadays, plus the relaxed chatroom attitude to writing, I'll settle for correct spelling & passable grammar.
My usual aviation peeve with movies is how they have quiet, stealthy Hercules (Raid on Entebbe, the Living Daylights, Outbreak, etc), & helicopters are usually silent enough for normal converstaion. Overall though, nothing makes me tune out quicker than huge gasoline explosions.
I think I'll just rent this one, or wait for a co-worker to illegally download it.
Can you hear me now?

BG777300ER

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:54 pm

I saw the movie. It was OK. The front of the plane looked nothing like the A380, it really looked like a space shuttle in the front. Anyway, I have some questions for the people that saw the movie. Is there really such a BIG avionics room in the nose of the plane with those computers in a ring like that. I would seem to be a big waste of space. And it looked overly big. Also, do you remember where Jodie Foster went in the top of the plane to turn off the lights and release the gas masks. Do planes really have such "attics" like that. If they do, can't that space be used for luggage and stuff because it seemed really empty up there for no reason.
Koi mi sra v gashtite?

Btriple7

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:57 pm

I just saw the movie last night. I thought the movie was very good. For once, the crew portrayed in a good light. This is rare in aviation movies. I also thought the plane was very realistic. They didn't add stupid things like restaurants or gyms, which would never appear on an airplane of a sane airline. My only complaint: the plot was slightly far-fetched.

I still strongly recommend this movies. Since the aviation side of this movie was very good, I think you guys would like. Red Eye had a better plot, but Flightplan portrayed aviation much better.

Regards,
Btriple7
Just...fly.

LH455

Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:33 am

How about the windows? Was the shape of the interior windows on the plane a nod to Boeing's 787?

I saw the movie last night and thought it was OK -- enough action anyways but many, many unrealistic points, but it's a movie so no big whoop. It was entertaining. I enjoyed all the peanut gallery comments from other passengers that are interspersed throughout the film. For a while I thought it was going to be a "Sixth Sense" plot twist.

Mainliner

Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:35 am

I'm seeing it tonight. I'm looking forward to it, since it seems like the people who designed this aircraft actually did some homework. The one thing that bugs me is that on the movie's website, they show the plane's cargo hold to be located in the aft fuselage, under the tail...not much room for an aircraft this size.

I guess I'm just too picky and should concentrate on the plot. (Yeah, right!  wink  )
Every flight counts.

BMIFlyer

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:11 am

Looking forward to the UK release date Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Boegas

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:24 am

I must put in here one interesting comment...

I just watched FRIENDS, "The One in Vegas"... where Joey is in Vegas and all the other friends goes to Vegas to see him.... so I would guess they took flight from New York to Las Vegas.... and they showed a wide-shot of an Boeing 747
(Japan Airlines) taking off and then they went to an interior-shot...

Howecome do they don't mind of mistake like this... it's like in a movie with Pierce Brosnan (can't remember the movies name) he took flight from New York to Dublin and they showed a B737.... no 737 fly across the Atlantic... pretty lame!
Regional collection supervisor for a box-company

Olympus69

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:48 am

Quoting Boegas (Reply 23):
I must put in here one interesting comment...

Why must you? The topic is "Flightplan" There have been plenty of other threads in which to discuss mistakes in aviation movies in general. Also, your description of the comment as 'interesting' is a matter of opinion  Smile

malaysia

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:55 am

everything went perfect in the DELTA FORCE, alwaysa same 707 always same colors and same interior and of course live attack scenes, my favorite aviation movie of all times, American Travelways Airlines.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

komododx

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:00 am

Watched last night and thought Jodi Foster's acting was great. Good movie. I, however, did not know Boeing and Airbus had launched a joint program to develop the 8474, clearly the offspring of a one night stand b/w the 787 and the A380.

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

Olympus69

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:28 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 15):
But is it that hard to not make mistakes in topics lines? Are we that lazy?

I agree. Mistakes in responses only show up once, But errors in topic titles stick out like a sore thumb every time you scroll down the page. Maybe use of the spell checker should be made compulsory. It wouldn't catch grammatical errors, or even a lot of the spelling errors, but it's better than nothing.

intothinair

Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:00 am

Was a great movie. I watched it back on the 22nd September, because that was the release date in Malaysia. Interior shots were very good, and there was a good twist to the ending. Recommendable, though i prefered "Red Eye."

Quoting Bg777300er (Reply 18):
I saw the movie. It was OK. The front of the plane looked nothing like the A380, it really looked like a space shuttle in the front.

I kind of agree on that one, the plane on the outside just didn't look right. And that colour, couldn't they have made it a different?
Might watch it again in the cinema in a couple of days, as cinema tickets are a lot cheaper here.

Cheers, Konstantin G.

AAgent

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:26 am

Although I'll skip arguing Hollywood's take on the finer points of aviation, the movie itself is a winner in my book. The plot was interesting and the twists are magnificent. Definitely put this movie on your "go see" list. Don't miss a minute or you might get lost. Jodi Foster, as always, nails the character perfectly. Hooray for Hollywood!

Best Regards,
AAgent
War Eagle!

jaysit

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:21 pm

I just saw the movie.

I thought it sort of sucked, but I've seen worse.

I did think that it was cute that they named the plane the A474 - a cheeky take on a combo of Airbus and the Boeing 744. And it was neat that they had the larger windows proposed on the 787.

As for the interior, I thought they could have done a better job. They had most of it down really well, but the Business class cabin looked like it was from 1990; the first class cabin was totally 10 years ago. The overhead bins appeared rather small, and they appeared to have seat controls right below the bins much like the ones you saw on Boeing 707s.

The exterior of the aircraft looked like it was all metal. Even the engine cowlings and pods. No composites to speak of. Someone should have told the film crew that a behemoth like the "A474" couldn't make money if it tried if the entire plane was a heavy metal tube.

Jodie Foster had one expression on her face - that of complete and utter constipation. I've never figured out why she is such a big star.

All in all, I'd give the film a B-, with a B+ to Hollywood for finally trying to get an aircraft right. I just wish they'd have tried a bit harder.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

DeC

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:51 pm

Was the music good?! James Horner scored it and yes, i am a score freak as well hehe  Smile www.scoremagacine.com
DEC

deltagator

Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:16 pm

Quoting Monorail (Reply 4):
On a bit of a tangent...

Also on this tangent...Star Alliance didn't exist then and neither did the gray livery. That didn't come around until 1993 if the UAL website is correct (which I assume they are.)
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

rabenschlag

Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:43 pm

i just saw it. i thought the story was really far fetched.

komododx

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:57 pm

Quoting Monorail (Reply 4):
On a bit of a tangent...

At the begining of the preview they call it Desert Storm II. I think it's an adaptation of the book with a flavor of the current event in Iraq. I definitely want to see it, however, I think for some families this might be too soon.

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

atmx2000

Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:28 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 26):
Good movie. I, however, did not know Boeing and Airbus had launched a joint program to develop the 8474,

It was the A474 or something like that. Whick must make it the descendent of the 747, A400, and A380 (787 is you include the windows).

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 30):
Jodie Foster had one expression on her face - that of complete and utter constipation.

Well, I think she was playing the role of the distraught, anal-retentive engineer.

Quote:
I've never figured out why she is such a big star.

Well, I don't know Clarice, but how many actresses have had someone attempt to impress them by trying to assassinate a president.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

AMSSFO

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:13 am

Have seen the movie yesterday. I liked it; great plot, great twist.
Of course, there were some things that didn't look right: the metal look of the plane (which is impressive!) wasn't convincing; the avionics room upfront near the nose is unrealistic spacious and I guess that this plane is so modern that it doesn't need a weather radar anymore? And the nose cone is strong enough to function as a bulkhead?

Thorny

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:23 am

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 35):
It was the A474 or something like that. Whick must make it the descendent of the 747, A400, and A380 (787 is you include the windows).

It was an "E-474", with the "E" meaning "Elgin", the company Foster's character works for.

atmx2000

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:14 am

Quoting Thorny (Reply 37):
It was an "E-474", with the "E" meaning "Elgin", the company Foster's character works for.

OK. However, I thought that Foster was a propulsion engineer and worked on the engines. I guess this Elgin company must be highly integrated, like the Boeing+United Tech+Pratt entity of the past.

[Edited 2005-09-26 00:15:33]

WestWing

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:48 am

Everybody knows that propulsion engineers "design the plane from top to bottom" (from the movie tagline). It's a shame that her team designed those internal wiring panels look like a 1960s-era telephone PBX . Though those overhead bins do have an innovative split-door design.

By the way, the "technical specs" of the Aalto Air E-474 may be found on the movie website. (click on the Explore the E-474 icon). Note the two-aisle 3-6-3 layout in cattle class and that the E-474 cockpit has a yoke (instead of a side-stick).

[Edited 2005-09-26 02:15:09]
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

flyfisher1976

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting WestWing (Reply 39):
"technical specs" of the Aalto Air E-474 may be found on the movie website.

The "pictures" of the interior of the plane (computer generated) were so high-contrast that they made my eyes hurt. I think they did this to make it look more like it was taken by a photographer and not generated by a computer...but they really just look like crap.

jaysit

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 35):
Well, I don't know Clarice, but how many actresses have had someone attempt to impress them by trying to assassinate a president.

LOL !

By the way, the "technical specs" of the Aalto Air E-474 may be found on the movie website. (click on the Explore the E-474 icon). Note the two-aisle 3-6-3 layout in cattle class and that the E-474 cockpit has a yoke (instead of a side-stick).

Then the website is wrong.
The aircraft had a 3-4-3 config in cattle class in the movie. The Y class seats also seemed to be rather roomy.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

WestWing

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:20 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 41):
Then the website is wrong.
The aircraft had a 3-4-3 config in cattle class in the movie. The Y class seats also seemed to be rather roomy.

Perhaps so. Also, I thought I heard one of the characters say "are you responsible for the five-abreast seating" , which would be yet another inconsistency.  Smile
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

atmx2000

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:24 am

Everybody knows that propulsion engineers "design the plane from top to bottom" (from the movie tagline). It's a shame that her team designed those internal wiring panels look like a 1960s-era telephone PBX

I'm amused by them saying that the aircraft has more parts than the space shuttle. That doesn't sound like a good thing, and considering the trend is towards fewer parts and assemblies, Jodie obviously didn't do a good job designing the plane.

futureuapilot

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:18 am

Did anyone else notice when they were in the cockpit there were only instruments for two engines, but when the plane took off there were four engines...

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

Xkorpyoh

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:23 am

actually, i counted 3-5-3 ..and my favorite line was "so you are the ingeneer...... was your brilliant idea to have 5 abreast seating?!" (or something like it).. I had quite a laugh thinking about all the A.netters that complain about the 5seats in the 777.

The plane looked so fake from the outside but very detailed inside. I thought business class looked outdated but first looked like the samples shown in the A380 (sort of...) I liked that they showed the crew rest for pilots and F/A and the lounge, but the nose of the plane had too much wasted space to be realistic.
overall, i loved the movie and loved Jodi (as always). very impressed with her after i saw her in a secondary role in "A very long engagement" movie, all in french. She is also fluent in German. Her movies never fail, IMHO.

What about the airline name: AAlto ... any hints of AA?

The welcoming message in the PTV repeated in all languages would be so annoying if real.

An finally: who could figure out the load factor on the E-474 from Berlin to NY??!!   .. plenty of empty seats on the 2nd level rear. (just teasing)

[Edited 2005-09-26 03:32:22]

comorin

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:58 am

CONTAINS SPOILERS...

Just got back from the movie. Jodie Foster certainly carries the movie - reminded me a bit of 'Panic Room'.

They could have made a great ending to this movie, but it ended up like one of those made-for-TV movies, though a really good one.

The one problem I had was that there was no wing loading when the plane was landing at Gander, not to mention flaps et al.

Also she should have apologized to the Arabs at the end, but it was fun watching the shrink make an ass of herself.

Overall a very enjoyable movie...

LY4XELD

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:59 am

Quoting LH455 (Reply 20):
How about the windows? Was the shape of the interior windows on the plane a nod to Boeing's 787?

I don't think they were "nodding" to anyone except the overall concept of a double decker a la Airbus A380. The "avionics" bay looked like something out of Star Trek rather than a commercial airplane...and really spacious and well lit! I, too, was amused that a propulsion engineer knew that airplane inside and out! And for what its worth, the airplane was pretty hideous on the outside....and what was with the random "turbulence"? It seemed as though they were being shot at by anti aircraft fire rather than going through bumpy air!
That's why we're here.

Mainliner

Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:08 pm

I counted 3-5-3 on the lower deck and 3-4-3 on the upper deck.
In enjoyed the movie, but also had fun picking out a couple of innacuracies. For one, I thought the airline (Aalto Airlines) had no image at all...even something as little as a seat pattern or actual livery on the aircraft would have been nice. I thought the bussiness and first class seating looked awful. And I was also curious as to why a powerplant engineer would know the layout of the aircraft so well.

And what was with the tiny little horizontal stabilizer at the top of the tail in addition to the main stabilizer? It looked like some kind of horizontal winglet.

But overall I think whoever 'designed' the aircraft did a good job. Any movie that doesn't show the interior of a 737 on a trans Atlantic flight is ok by me.  Smile
Every flight counts.

atmx2000

Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:24 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 46):
Also she should have apologized to the Arabs at the end, but it was fun watching the shrink make an ass of herself.

Why, considering one of them tackled her pretty savagely, and banged her head into a seat frame. She's lucky she didn't get more than that gash/bruise on her cheek. Of couse if she had gotten a concussion and was knocked unconscious, that might have made the entire extortion scheme of the kidnappers a little bit more difficult.

By the way, are armed air marshalls allowed to board planes in Europe?
And how are their schedules made? The scheme depends on Jodie taking the same flight as the air marshall and attendant, which seems pretty iffy to me.

And oh, Clarice, why are the FBI in New Foundland?