sfuk

New US Entry Requirments

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:25 pm

Effective October 4, 2005, U.S. legislation will require foreign nationals to provide to air carriers a valid U.S. address during their stay “BEFORE” the departure of their U.S. bound flight.

So what's the deal with this?
I know you normally would provide this on the I-94 form.
What if you're going to be staying at multiple locations during you're stay, do you give them just the first? If so what's the point?
I'm travelling to the US in late Oct, do I need to contact my airline and let them know the details or is it something that is done during check in?

Any info appreciated guys
Thanx
Stu

FLVILLA

New US Entry Requirments

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:35 pm

This is all to do with the new Advanced Passenger Information (API) legislation, basically requires you to tell your airline information about where your staying in the US before your departure day. Below are some links which better explain how its all going to work out:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...ngerinformation/api/apisummary.jsp

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/trave...facilities/apis/apis_factsheet.xml

Hope this helps.
FLVILLA
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

star_world

New US Entry Requirments

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:39 pm

Yes - until now they just had to send the passenger's name, date of birth and passport details through the APIS system, but from October 4th all the remaining details will have to be sent too. From what I've heard it's causing some of the airlines problems, as their systems don't always have the fields to store this level detail.

I'd imagine it'll cause longer checkin queues for the first few weeks, as anyone who had an existing booking will not have had that information taken from them at the time. The checkin agent will have to update the PNR while the passenger is at the counter. Will be interesting to see what happens!

sfuk

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:41 am

Cool, thanx for the info guys.

captaink

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:50 am

Anyone here works in the airlines still? When i worked there, sabre had a passport entry that provided the name/PPnumber/DOB.. There is another field that is called Passenger Contact information, where you put in the name and number of someone in the US, for use in the case of emergency... this is pretty much free text but I am not sure if it can take an entire address...
There is something special about planes....

schipholjfk

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:01 am

Quoting Sfuk (Thread starter):
Effective October 4, 2005, U.S. legislation will require foreign nationals to provide to air carriers a valid U.S. address during their stay “BEFORE” the departure of their U.S. bound flight.

Another waste of time! How does this increase security? Anyone can simply look up a valid address on the internet and plug it in. That does not mean that person will be actually at that location. What a massive waste of time and out tax $$$. But then again what is Washington good for anyway other than wasting billions of dollars of hard-earned US Tax dollars!

Those of you who are interested in reading about how our esteemed legislators waste tax dollars, please click the link below:
http://www.cagw.org/site/FrameSet?st...ions.cagw.org/pigbook/pigbook.php3

[Edited 2005-09-25 19:04:47]
The fun of flying... love it !!!

silverfox

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:27 am

I have heard there is a new US Dept set up to visit EVERYONE to make sure thay are at the address stated!!!!

sfuk

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:43 am

Quoting Silverfox (Reply 6):

Um, are you sure?
Seems like an impossible task to me??

planesailing

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:06 am

I have heard there is a new US Dept set up to visit EVERYONE to make sure thay are at the address stated!!!!

What happens if you are renting a villa and are out at the time?!!?!!?

BDKLEZ

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:28 am

have heard there is a new US Dept set up to visit EVERYONE to make sure thay are at the address stated!!!!

Most unlikely, how many "agents" would it take to ensure that everyone will be where the say they will be! However, I wouldn't be surpised if it was suggested by the US in order to intimidate or put off potential "trouble-makers".
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

FLVILLA

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:42 am

LMAO ! Highly unlikley my friend, think about how many thousands of agents that would require ! Also they cant (no-ones immigration seems able too) keep track of all the illegals streaming in anyway, what makes you think theyre priority is going to be the average holiday maker who has the proper documentation ??
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

CORULEZ05

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:44 am

Quoting Star_world (Reply 2):
Yes - until now they just had to send the passenger's name, date of birth and passport details through the APIS system, but from October 4th all the remaining details will have to be sent too. From what I've heard it's causing some of the airlines problems, as their systems don't always have the fields to store this level detail.

I'd imagine it'll cause longer checkin queues for the first few weeks, as anyone who had an existing booking will not have had that information taken from them at the time. The checkin agent will have to update the PNR while the passenger is at the counter. Will be interesting to see what happens!

They can b*tch all they want, you are coming to the U.S. so you have to follow all the rules....if you don't like it, go somewhere else.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

BDKLEZ

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:46 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 11):
They can b*tch all they want, you are coming to the U.S. so you have to follow all the rules....if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

That's why I haven't been back.

CORULEZ05

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 12):

and we haven't missed you.....  Wink
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

BDKLEZ

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:15 am

At least we're in agreement then.

talktothehand 

Anyway, the topic in hand. Perhaps it would be idea to pass this information (or as much of it as you have) at the time of making the reservation. Then the information can be migrated from the PNR to the check-in record.

satx

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:17 am

I would strongly prefer that we not alienate everyone who tries to visit the US, especially when there is no obvious security benefit from it.

Over time, the 40,000,000 or so vistors we get annually will begin to drop and the way our economy is being run, we need to keep that flow of cash coming.

Not to mention that since most Americans never travel abroad, having folks visit us is the only way for most Americans to get an outsider's view of how we treat the rest of the world.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

CORULEZ05

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:31 am

Quoting Schipholjfk (Reply 5):
Anyone can simply look up a valid address on the internet and plug it in. That does not mean that person will be actually at that location.

Quoting FLVILLA (Reply 10):
LMAO ! Highly unlikley my friend, think about how many thousands of agents that would require !

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 9):
Most unlikely, how many "agents" would it take to ensure that everyone will be where the say they will be!

To solve the problem of people just looking up any valid address is to make random checks. No I am not saying EVERY SINGLE person but make it clear that random checks will be made on visitors. If they are NOT at the location they indicated before arriving in the U.S., they shall face consequeneces for providing false information.

Quoting SATX (Reply 15):
I would strongly prefer that we not alienate everyone who tries to visit the US, especially when there is no obvious security benefit from it.

Who is saying everyone? Most people don't really mind these security measures. There are just a few, the type that complain about EVERYTHING, that will raise h*ll about these new measures. You can't sacrifice the nation's security just to lure more tourists.....Sept 11th 2001 ring a bell?
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

Starlionblue

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:39 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 16):

To solve the problem of people just looking up any valid address is to make random checks. No I am not saying EVERY SINGLE person but make it clear that random checks will be made on visitors. If they are NOT at the location they indicated before arriving in the U.S., they shall face consequeneces for providing false information.

And what if a visitor changes his or her plans? Happens all the time. Are you going to penalize him/her for not staying put???

Who is saying everyone? Most people don't really mind these security measures. There are just a few, the type that complain about EVERYTHING, that will raise h*ll about these new measures. You can't sacrifice the nation's security just to lure more tourists.....Sept 11th 2001 ring a bell?

Sure it rings a bell. And I have no problem with security when:
- There is a point to it, and this measure seems pointless.
- It does not infringe on civil liberties. Now the civil liberties of foreign nationals may not be protected as those of US citizens while in the US, but surely they have the right to move about?

Everyone is fine with more security, and all of a sudden everyone finds themselves living in a police state for their own protection. It's happened before.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

BDKLEZ

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:43 am

If they are NOT at the location they indicated before arriving in the U.S., they shall face consequeneces for providing false information.

What if plans change and one decides to venture off for a few days somewhere else?.

What if you're on a "fly-drive" ? (very popular with UK & European vistors)

These measure will have no impact whatsoever in curbing any potential terrorist threat. The perpetrators of Sept 11th, were highly organised individuals, and I doubt a few administrative details will negate any possible threat against any country.

Just look at the London bombings on 7th July, the bombers were all British citizens who were born, educated and had grown up in the UK. The threat and ultimate action came from within.

The land of the free, is really not so free when it comes down to it, and to intimidate/discourage/disengage potential holidaymakers will simply result in a lot of negativity towards the US authorities and will no doubt about it ensure that folks will think twice about travelling to the US unless they absolutely have to.

[Edited 2005-09-26 01:49:04]

Sydscott

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:51 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 13):
and we haven't missed you.....

Considering illegal immigration across the Mexican border is still one of the biggest security problems for the US I'd have thought there were bigger fish to fry in controlling peoples movements and tracking them. It seems rather pointless to waste money on unneccessary beaurocracy when you have a land border that still leaks like a siv.

antiuser

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:54 pm

Quoting Sfuk (Thread starter):

Interesting to know that this is a new requirement. When I flew GIG-GRU-JFK-SEA last year on AA they asked me for my girlfriend's address (where I'd be staying) when I checked in at GIG. The gate agent said it was a requirement from homeland security. This was in June 2004.
Azzurri Campioni del Mondo!

flyboy36y

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:31 pm

I don't feel like going into it, but take my word for it, you have absolutley know idea what the hell you are talking about.

eoinnz

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:07 pm

What happens if your in transit? Would the airline/travel agent/whoever just put in "Transit" in the booking?

manu

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:46 pm

Quoting Eoinnz (Reply 22):
What happens if your in transit?

Have you ever seen the movie "the terminal"? I guess you pick a gate  Wink

ManchesterMAN

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:49 pm

This is absolutely no different than the current system except you have to give the address etc in advance. If you are in transit for under (I think) 8 hours then you just write "transit Canada" or wherever. In reality as is the case now you can put your address as the white house and nobody will really care. I think they are just trying to catch people out who put they are staying at Osama's gaff. As if to prove they don't really care, if you are ona fly drive with no accomodation you simply have to put the address of the car hire place or if you are back packing you just have to given a rough indication of where you are likely to be on your first night. The address info is just for your first night in the US.

Airlines will not have systems in place to provide this data ahead of check in before this kicks in so it will undoubtedly slow check in procedures a little, although hopefully they will just be able to quickly enter the number and zip code rather than having to type the whole address. It all seems a little pointless but I'm happy to go along with it as the innocent traveller has nothing to hide, even if it doesn't always seem like it when visiting the US.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

Starlionblue

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:56 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 19):

Considering illegal immigration across the Mexican border is still one of the biggest security problems for the US I'd have thought there were bigger fish to fry in controlling peoples movements and tracking them. It seems rather pointless to waste money on unneccessary beaurocracy when you have a land border that still leaks like a siv.

The Mexican border is another story. The US government could easily crack down on it tomorrow but there is no political will to do so despite all teh posturing. In reality, the cheap labor influx is much appreciated and US residents can have their nannies/agricultural labor/gardeners and so on while the government turns a blind eye.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

geoffm

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:01 pm

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 24):
If you are in transit for under (I think) 8 hours then you just write "transit Canada" or wherever

Even US immigration officials couldn't decide what to write last time I did that. There appears to be no coherant policy on the subject.

Geoff M.

ARGinLON

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:03 pm

As somebody say I just can't be bother with replying to you since I'll be wasting my time but (just to let you know)... You just don't know what you are talking about.

csavel

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:07 pm

Assuming this wasn't written tongue-in-cheek, I seriously doubt there will be spot checks or anything else.

In addition, I highly doubt that there will be anybody checking for valid addresses. THis is..
1) for show
2) so some idiot politican can go back to podunk and say how 'mericans are protected form them furriners.
3) In case anyone is a suspect,they an try to track suspect down using the address.
4) Payback to whatever politically connected company bought the politician who wrote the law

Plus how many times do you not know where youre staying? I mean I've gone to London and didn't know what hotel I'd ultimately be in, I'm sure it is the same in the states.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

Thorben

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:23 pm

Quoting Schipholjfk (Reply 5):
Another waste of time! How does this increase security? Anyone can simply look up a valid address on the internet and plug it in. That does not mean that person will be actually at that location. What a massive waste of time and out tax $$$. But then again what is Washington good for anyway other than wasting billions of dollars of hard-earned US Tax dollars!

It's no better over here, our politicians have really dumb proposals to increase "security", from a no-fly-zone over central Berlin (like any terrorist would care) to putting GPS-jammers in nuclear plants (which might disturb regular air traffic and will not keep someone from finding the NPP).

Security does not come from rules, repression, or paranoid surveillance of innocent people. It comes from freedom (not in GWB's sense), tolerance, respect, and fairness. People not applying the latter will never be secure.

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 12):

I haven't been back either, I rather go somewhere else.

Quoting SATX (Reply 15):
I would strongly prefer that we not alienate everyone who tries to visit the US, especially when there is no obvious security benefit from it

I agree and I have been alienated.

Quoting SATX (Reply 15):
Over time, the 40,000,000 or so vistors we get annually will begin to drop and the way our economy is being run, we need to keep that flow of cash coming.

Not to mention that since most Americans never travel abroad, having folks visit us is the only way for most Americans to get an outsider's view of how we treat the rest of the world.

I agree with this, too. But there are still people going to the US, they just don't care about VISIT etc.

Americans really need to know more about the so-called "rest of the world".

You can't sacrifice the nation's security just to lure more tourists.....Sept 11th 2001 ring a bell?

You can't sacrifice the civil liberties of hundred's of millions of people just because of fear. If you do that, the terrorists have achieved their goal.

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 17):
Everyone is fine with more security, and all of a sudden everyone finds themselves living in a police state for their own protection. It's happened before.

That's what I fear, too. And if it happens, the terrorists have won.

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 18):
These measure will have no impact whatsoever in curbing any potential terrorist threat. The perpetrators of Sept 11th, were highly organised individuals, and I doubt a few administrative details will negate any possible threat against any country.

I agree and i therefore believe that most of the "measures" taken after 9/11 are only there to calm the population, or they are long-wanted surveillance phantasies that can be implemented now, because people are scared.

Just look at the London bombings on 7th July, the bombers were all British citizens who were born, educated and had grown up in the UK. The threat and ultimate action came from within.

Besides, it wouldn't have happened without the Mesopotamian Adventure that was allegedly done to protect Britain.

The land of the free, is really not so free when it comes down to it, and to intimidate/discourage/disengage potential holidaymakers will simply result in a lot of negativity towards the US authorities and will no doubt about it ensure that folks will think twice about travelling to the US unless they absolutely have to.

I couldn't have said that better myself. The "land of the free" is somewhere else than between Canada and Mexico.

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 24):
It all seems a little pointless but I'm happy to go along with it as the innocent traveller has nothing to hide, even if it doesn't always seem like it when visiting the US.

Today, one is often considered to be guilty until proven innocent.
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

LeDragon

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:27 pm

I don't remember where, but I was asked to give an address while entring a foreign country. I guess it was Peru, where all hotel ask for your passport number. As for random check, it could make sense, but I wonder how many travellers stay at the same location for all their trip. Not everyone is going to a congress, a resort or some family/friend's home.

jamman

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:35 pm

This is worrying, I booked my Flight with American from MAN to ORD like 4 months ago and I did not give any of this information.
I can't find anything on the American Airlines site that points to what I should do, apart from the USvisit guidelines that came in last year.

I take it the information will be taken from me from the check-in desk??

Regards.
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

TGV

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:18 pm

Sept 11th 2001 ring a bell?

If I am not mistaken terrorists who realized the 9/11 attacks did not arrived two days ago from abroad with knifes in their pockets.

They were installed in the US for some time, and would have easily passed a check of this sort, staying some days at the initial address (be it a hotel), and then slipping away.

I think that with the present domestic problems for Bush following the hurricanes, there is a need for the US administration to try to focus public attention on other subjects, if possible foreign.

Anyway I believe this will not change the behaviour of foreigners regarding the US. Or, like me, they already have decide to avoid at all cost to pass in the US (transit or visit), or they have not and it is not such a measure that will block them.
Avoid 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y ! They are real sardine cans. (AF/KL for example)

Starlionblue

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:39 pm

Quoting TGV (Reply 32):
I think that with the present domestic problems for Bush following the hurricanes, there is a need for the US administration to try to focus public attention on other subjects, if possible foreign.

Quoting Thorben (Reply 29):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 17):

It's tragic that so few seem to understand what really happened in a couple of European countries in the 1920s and 1930s. The well known dictators of those countries didn't take power by force. They were put in power by a people demanding (among other things) security, be it financial or personal. Then those same dictators decided to deflect the attention of the populace from domestic problems by throwing a few foreign wars. And the rest, as they say, is history.

These people didn't take power. In large part they were given power. And if they weren't corrupt before, power corrupts just fine.

I'm not saying that current rulers in the US don't have the best of intentions, but it is said that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

You guys who want "more security"? Be careful what you wish for.

jacobin777

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:08 pm

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 13):
and we haven't missed you.....

what an ignorant comment to make... butthead 

Quoting SATX (Reply 15):

darn right...many industries are reliant upon foreign travelers/visitors (i.e New York City, San Francisco, etc)

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 19):

thumbsup 

Quoting Flyboy36y (Reply 21):

I don't feel like going into it, but take my word for it, you have absolutley know idea what the hell you are talking about.

thumbsup  thumbsup 

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 25):
The Mexican border is another story. The US government could easily crack down on it tomorrow but there is no political will to do so despite all teh posturing. In reality, the cheap labor influx is much appreciated and US residents can have their nannies/agricultural labor/gardeners and so on while the government turns a blind eye.

thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup 

You can't sacrifice the civil liberties of hundred's of millions of people just because of fear. If you do that, the terrorists have achieved their goal.

wow..you actually made a statement which made sense..... praise 

twice in one thread.... praise  praise 
"Up the Irons!"

Dougloid

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:27 pm

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 9):
have heard there is a new US Dept set up to visit EVERYONE to make sure thay are at the address stated!!!!

Most unlikely, how many "agents" would it take to ensure that everyone will be where the say they will be! However, I wouldn't be surpised if it was suggested by the US in order to intimidate or put off potential "trouble-makers".

Ah, you're all gonna get transponder implants so we can keep track of y'all...you'll be thinkin "That's a pretty hefty mosquito that bit me there" but it'll be a nanotechnology engineered remotely piloted transponder implant vehicle. If you swat it and it smells of kerosene you're on to something....
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

ManchesterMAN

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:34 pm

Quoting Jamman (Reply 31):
This is worrying, I booked my Flight with American from MAN to ORD like 4 months ago and I did not give any of this information.
I can't find anything on the American Airlines site that points to what I should do, apart from the USvisit guidelines that came in last year.

I take it the information will be taken from me from the check-in desk??

Regards.

Don't worry the chances are 80% of your flight won't have heard about it, indeed you probably wouldn't have if you didn't read A.net! I myself am flying to ORD in a couple of weeks with bmi and they haven't informed me of this either (I actually heard about it from VS a month or so ago) or how to provide this information. Virgin, who have been informing pax about this for a while just say to provide it at check in at the moment so there will be no problem, just make sure you have the info at hand to speed things up.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

silverfox

New US Entry Requirments

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:35 pm

FLYVILLA,
Thanks for seeing the joke

DarthRandall

New US Entry Requirments

Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:19 am

There's no way they can have enough people for something silly like that. If they did, they would have found my stolen bike when I was a kid.

Which is exactly what we DON'T want them to do. We like their tourist pounds and euros just as much as they like our tourist dollars. Why are we making it more of a hastle to come here?

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 26):
Even US immigration officials couldn't decide what to write last time I did that. There appears to be no coherant policy on the subject.

That sounds par for the course. I hope a horse racing administrator isn't running the INS too.

Security does not come from rules, repression, or paranoid surveillance of innocent people. It comes from freedom (not in GWB's sense), tolerance, respect, and fairness. People not applying the latter will never be secure.

That is a fundamental truth that far too many people seem to have forgoten. Many of us are far too ready to sacrifice what makes us what we are to feel safe, even though, in reality, such sacrifices do nothing to protect us. I believe Ben Franklin said it best, "Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty or security."

Quoting TGV (Reply 32):
Anyway I believe this will not change the behaviour of foreigners regarding the US. Or, like me, they already have decide to avoid at all cost to pass in the US (transit or visit), or they have not and it is not such a measure that will block them.

In all fairness, I have to ask, is it really that much more difficult for an average European to get into the United States than it is for that same individual to get into another non-European country?
Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads all the time and don't even think twice about it.

Starlionblue

New US Entry Requirments

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:03 pm

Quoting DarthRandall (Reply 38):
Quoting TGV (Reply 32):

In all fairness, I have to ask, is it really that much more difficult for an average European to get into the United States than it is for that same individual to get into another non-European country?

DarthRandall raises a good point. Travel to most Far Eastern countries and entry is about as cumbersome, or even more so, than for the US.

TGV

New US Entry Requirments

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:35 pm

Quoting DarthRandall (Reply 38):

Quoting TGV (Reply 32):

Well I often travel to Viet Nam, which would be considered "dictatorship" by many US members and:
- it is easy to get the visa (no need to go to the embassy, you just give your passport to the travel agency),
- the immigration process is efficient, you seldom have to wait more than 30 minutes in line.

As I said I have avoided the US recently, so can not comment on the present situation, but I still remember being questioned in ATL some years ago (and it was before 9/11), while in transit between South America and CDG, on the purpose of my trip to South America: none of the business of the US, I should not even have to pass immigration while in international transit.

And also being severely summoned by an immigration official in MIA because I passed the waiting line. He yelled first, before lessoning to what I had to say. Having seen a dustbin on fire in one of the walkways, I had used the fire extinguisher to stop the fire. But as nobody answered the emergency phone, I had not been able to report the incident, so I went to him.
Would you think he would have apologized for his rudeness once understanding why I had passed the line? Not at all: he sent me back to the line, without any word of gratitude.

I have travelled to many countries, including some odd ones (like arriving in Turkmenistan in January with a visa mistakenly issued for January of the previous year, it took less than one hour to resolve the issue). Where I have received the worst treatment has always been the US immigration (this starts with the totally surrealistic form you have to fill; with stupid questions like (more or less!) "Were you a Nazi during WWII ?".

So in all fairness, from my point of view, the answer to your question is yes.
Avoid 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y ! They are real sardine cans. (AF/KL for example)

abrelosojos

New US Entry Requirments

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:26 am

= Hahahahahaha!

You can't sacrifice the nation's security just to lure more tourists.....Sept 11th 2001 ring a bell?

= Well then close the Mexican border and ensure they stay outside. Economic security of Americans is being threatened here  Smile ... I love it when people who have "made it past DHS" have a comment to make. AND, I do think illegal border crossings are more detrimental than legitimate border crossers.

Quoting Antiuser (Reply 20):
Interesting to know that this is a new requirement. When I flew GIG-GRU-JFK-SEA last year on AA they asked me for my girlfriend's address (where I'd be staying) when I checked in at GIG. The gate agent said it was a requirement from homeland security. This was in June 2004.

= I had this happen to me at PTY - and PTY airport staff were completely clueness.
Live, and let live.

carmenlu15

New US Entry Requirments

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:59 am

Is this really a new regulation? I remember when I worked in TA res center, we were required to ask U.S.-bound passengers for this information at the time of making the reservation or confirming the flight. If any of us failed to comply and a supervisor noticed, we were in for a good scolding... That was one or maybe two years ago.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 4):
Anyone here works in the airlines still? When i worked there, sabre had a passport entry that provided the name/PPnumber/DOB.. There is another field that is called Passenger Contact information, where you put in the name and number of someone in the US, for use in the case of emergency... this is pretty much free text but I am not sure if it can take an entire address...

Let me see if my memory still works... I think it was 4PCTC/street & house #/city & state/zip code-1.1 (pax name association). We had to type the phone number either in the phone field or as supplemental info (4OSI).

Saludos  airplane 
Carmen
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

sfuk

New US Entry Requirments

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:09 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 42):
Is this really a new regulation? I remember when I worked in TA res center, we were required to ask U.S.-bound passengers for this information at the time of making the reservation or confirming the flight. If any of us failed to comply and a supervisor noticed, we were in for a good scolding... That was one or maybe two years ago.

I guess it's new for people entering the US on the visa waiver program. Before you would just give an address on the I-94 form that you filled out on the plane.

Stu

[Edited 2005-09-27 19:21:36]

carmenlu15

New US Entry Requirments

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:14 am

Quoting Sfuk (Reply 43):
I guess it's new for people entering the US on the visa waiver programme.

That explains it then... Central Americans (the vast majority of our passengers) don't qualify for the visa waiver program.

Saludos
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

Sabena332

New US Entry Requirments

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:22 am

Where is the problem?

Simply download this form, print it out, complete it, give it to the check-in agent.

Takes all in all 2 minutes maximum.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Starlionblue

New US Entry Requirments

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting TGV (Reply 40):
this starts with the totally surrealistic form you have to fill; with stupid questions like (more or less!) "Were you a Nazi during WWII ?".

The Nazi and other seemingly surreal questions on the I-94 form are there for a very good legal reason. If you lie about the facts and are then caught, it's easier to prosecute you.

TGV

RE: New US Entry Requirments

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:13 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 46):
Quoting TGV (Reply 40):
this starts with the totally surrealistic form you have to fill; with stupid questions like (more or less!) "Were you a Nazi during WWII ?".

The Nazi and other seemingly surreal questions on the I-94 form are there for a very good legal reason. If you lie about the facts and are then caught, it's easier to prosecute you.

I understand this. But this seems more adequate for questions regarding actions you will take in the US (do you plan to rob a bank?) than for past facts.
Especially the "nazi" question: how many living people could answer yes to it? When considering that a 20 yo in 1945 is now 80, isn't it time to move away and change the form? Or will this question still be there in 20 years, just in case a 100 yo nazi could come to the US???

Starlionblue

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:16 am

Weird as it may seem, planning to rob a bank is not a crime.

As for past facts, it has a lot to do with crimes against humanity laws being the way they are.

legacy135

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:24 am

If homeland security feels the need to know where it's visitors stay, they could track it's credit card, then they even know that I eat them all the steaks and cheesecakes away Big grin

By the way, I am sure, if they feel something suspicious, they will track the credit card.... but for sure, I will also fill them this form.