mhsieh

Taiwan China Air Vs EVA

Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:15 pm

I have noticed that Taiwan's president Chen used to travel on EVA when he went abroad on state visits. But recently (last several years), he switched to China Airlines.
Does anybody know the reason why? Is there an official national carrier for Taiwan?
Thanks

alexchao

RE: Taiwan China Air Vs EVA

Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:13 am

I think the government is a major shareholder in China Airlines.

However, I remember President Chen started flying CI in 2002 after the 747-200 crashed over Peng-hu. Some say he flew CI as a vote of confidence for the airline.

zoom1018

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:29 am

I am not so sure, but I think it is more about the Taiwanese flag on the tail of the planes... China Airlines' aircraft was, at the beginning, not allowed to land at Vietnam Tan Son Nhat airport because they had Taiwanese flag on the tail, hence Mandarin Airlines' flights. I think this rule applied in many other countries as well.

With new livery, there is no flag on the tail any more.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Nathan Zalcman

[Edited 2005-09-28 04:33:37]

trex8

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:55 am

The owners of EVA, the Evergreen shipping group were major financial sponsors of Pres Chens party the DPP. China Airlines, besides still being majority owned by a government qango was always a bastion of the previous ruling KMT party. Chen had little love for CI when he came to power. But in recent years Chen has been trying to "fly the flag" though as pointed out, CI has no flag on their planes anymore!
I'm not sure Chen ever travelled on BR on any significant overseas trips, first he doesn't get to go abroad much till the last few years, even the US used to refuse transit visits to the Taiwan president. He used the air force 737 on some trips and in recent years he has used CI.

alexchao

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:34 am

Quoting Trex8 (Reply 3):
I'm not sure Chen ever travelled on BR on any significant overseas trips, first he doesn't get to go abroad much till the last few years, even the US used to refuse transit visits to the Taiwan president.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Miguel cano alva

This picture was taken when President Chen flew EVA on an overseas trip.