Orion737
Topic Author

Air Burkina 319

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:31 pm

I remember reading that Air Burkina had leased an Airbus A319 for services to Paris from Ouagadougou. Is the service operating? My gran usually pays for one 'exotic' trip each year and I like to choose unusual places and Burkina Faso is my choice.

At the moment I dont have anyone to go with. My gran used to accompany me but she is getting a bit old now for long journeys and dosent see the appeal of Burkina Faso. Dont know if I am brave enough to visit alone, some of these West African countries can be quite scary and when I last went I ended up not going out of my hotel room!!!

Would like to support a local carrier so would prefer Air Burkina over Air France. I like to try and support developing countries.

Thinking about the trip but very apprehensive. Anyone any experience of the country or Air Burkina?

CV580Freak

RE: Air Burkina 319

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:53 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/country_profiles/1032616.stm

have a look at above, must admit it's not on the top of my holiday list.
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

Pe@rson

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:58 pm

I have lived in Africa (albeit not B.F.) and travelled extensively therein as a backpacker (and in the Middle East) and while I believe it is natural to feel a little apprehensive (and, indeed, downright excited) about any trip, I am positive that there's no need to worry. Indeed, unnecessary worry can result in a disaster, like you not leaving your hotel room. To try to counter that, I heartedly suggest you do as much research as possible (starting with www.lonelyplanet.com, then the purchase of relevant guidebooks).

You'll actually meet other foreigners, so don't think a visit to B.F. will result in you being the only foreigner there. Indeed, in countries like Mali the number of tourists on specific sites and in certain areas can be downright annoying.

It's not really worth going for a short period of time like a week: you'd end up not seeing much (transportation can be slow) and so your experience will be somewhat limited. Instead, try to budget, as the minimum, two weeks, with a month being much better still.

Also, don't fly domestically; instead, go by local ground transport: you'll end up meeting lots of friendly locals and your experience will be enriched much further.

There really isn't any need to worry, so relax, do lots of research, get excited - and have a good, thoroughly insightful time. And remember: go out there, eat in local places, drink in local places, travel as a local would.

On a different note, how can you afford to go if you're jobless? Do your grandparents pay for everything? And you're 30?

[Edited 2005-09-26 16:04:49]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Orion737
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:10 pm

Yes they do pay for most things. Clothes and holidays and nights out. Yes, I know Im lucky!

I am at the moment trying to persuade my friend to come with me but she cannot understand my choice of destination. I told her I like to go differnt places, to say I have been.

She told me that in Burkina Faso, the women collect and harvest shea fruit from the trees and make moisturising butter and sell it to Western tourist and companies like the body shop.

I have been pricing flights and it looks like AF will be the best with a fare I found for £600 return which seems very good. I was expecting it to be more. I am just going for a week as I am not very adventourous despite previous visits to Mauriania and Sierra Leone and know I will be homesick and missing me comforts after a week.

Thanks for advice Pe@rson, I will let you all know if and when I book. Hoping for late November.

Pe@rson

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:16 pm

A week? That is an absurdly short amount of time. You'll end up seeing precious little - and so your experience will be dramatically short. And that's also saying you won't experience the things which will make a good trip brilliant - the interaction with local people (when using local transport and eating and drinking in local places).

I had my first part-time job when I was 15 and at school. I then started my A Levels (I was actually still 15  Wink ). I got good grades - 3x A and 1x B - despite working. I then began a Law (LLB) undergraduate degree at a very good university - while working. I achieved a very good degree. I then did an LLM (OK, so I didn't work then) and then began a PhD (I had to postpone it). I haven't asked for any money from anyone, although some offered it. Oh, and I'm only 23.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Orion737
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:22 pm

Good for you. I have to confess Im a lazy bugger. I never liked work and it made me unhappy and to be honest, I was glad to give it up.

My gran said 'why work, if your not happy' and so I dont work, at the moment. She is well-off and pays for most things although I dont have much money of my own. Im not ambitious at all, so Im not rushing back to work.

I may swap Burkina Faso for a two centre holiday 1 week in Sao Paoulo and 1 week in Buenos Aires thereby doing two countries I have wanted to visit in the one holiday.

Are Varig still using the MD11 on routes out of LHR? That might swing it for me, as I want a ride on the MD11.

Pe@rson

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:25 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 5):
Good for you. I have to confess Im a lazy bugger. I never liked work and it made me unhappy and to be honest, I was glad to give it up.

Do you claim any benefits? Don't get me started on lazy ******************************** claiming off hard-working tax-payers (like myself) and giving *********** all back.

I may swap Burkina Faso for a two centre holiday 1 week in Sao Paoulo and 1 week in Buenos Aires thereby doing two countries I have wanted to visit in the one holiday.

How on earth can you say you've done two countries when you've merely visited one city in each? That's like someone saying they've 'done England' by visiting, say, Stockport.

Orion737
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:29 pm

I dont claim unemployment benefit or disability beneift, even though I could possibly be entitled to one or both. I have fair share of quite serious neurology problems including suffering a stroke which has caused paralysis on my right side and 6th and 7th cranial nerve palsies!

I live at home so dont have any expenses and I am not out partying every night! My parents are not rich but my gran is and I am her favourite Big grin

eha

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:30 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 3):
have been pricing flights and it looks like AF will be the best with a fare I found for £600 return which seems very good. I was expecting it to be more. I am just going for a week as I am not very adventourous despite previous visits to Mauriania and Sierra Leone and know I will be homesick and missing me comforts after a week.

I am not sure you are picking the right continent if you want to have a feel for what it is in a week, especially if you plan to stay in your hotel room unsure of what to expect outside...Burkina Faso is a stable regime, very nice people. but of course you have to have the right attitude towards people.

My brother stayed there more than 40 days, at then end he was mastering the art of preparing tea, along the road sitting on a bench with locals....Check out weather conditions, it can be extremely hot and combined with adapting to food, this can wear you down for a while if you are not prepared.

If you pick up Air France, you will most likely travel via Abidjan (Ivory Coadt) won't you?
E.

Orion737
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:34 pm

I think its a non-stop flight. I was suprised at the price £600 return, expected it to be more.

I have to confess, I often go to these places without really seeing or doing much when I arrive there. I am trying to visit all the countries of West Africa so it will be another to tick off the list.

I am not at all an adevntourous traveller and probably am happier closer to home but I do get a thrill from going to these countries.

I didnt realise AF went via Abidjan? no mention of that on their website!

Pe@rson

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:34 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 7):
I dont claim unemployment benefit or disability beneift, even though I could possibly be entitled to one or both.

I have firm beliefs on those who claim unnecessarily when they could easily work. Sure, they're quite harsh - if someone unnecessarily claims relevant benefits when they could easily work but don't bother to try they should be fined (acting as an incentive to find work) and when they do find work be made to repay every penny given to them while they were unnecessarily off work.

serious neurology

We all know that.  Wink But surely to have neurological problems you first need a brain?  Silly

I live at home so dont have any expenses and I am not out partying every night! My parents are not rich but my gran is and I am her favourite

*Shakes head in disbelief.*

Pe@rson

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:37 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 9):
I have to confess, I often go to these places without really seeing or doing much when I arrive there. I am trying to visit all the countries of West Africa so it will be another to tick off the list.

I do get a thrill from going to these countries.

As silly and pointless as that sounds, I think it (and many other things) can be explained with reference to:

have fair share of quite serious neurology problems

Orion737
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:39 pm

Tres amusant!

I have a brain. Just dont always make full use of it. I have never had the slightest ambition which is why I dont have a career. Im contented with what I have. No bad thing.

AirGAbon

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:41 pm

AF flies direct to OUA 5xweekly (3 direct with A332, 2 with a stop in Niamey in Niger with A343).

Air Burkina flies 3xweekly from Orly with the Celestair A319.

Air Ivoire flies with the same aircraft 3xweekly from Orly to Abidjan (2 via Marseille).

They share this A319 between Air Burkina and Air Ivoire.

eha

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:44 pm

think its a non-stop flight. I was suprised at the price £600 return, expected it to be more.

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 11):
As silly and pointless as that sounds, I think it (and many other things) can be explained with reference to:

have fair share of quite serious neurology problems

OK, I have an idea, let's pretend you have two new friends and get the money from your gran-ma, and Pe@rson and I will make the trip to Burkina, and we'll have a blast....

Be more ambitious, there is more to travel than just linking point A to point B...

E.

Orion737
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:46 pm

Thanks very much Air Gabon. Most useful. The flight I priced was the direct AF 332 service. I think if I go it will be on that with a connecting flight from MAN. Very reasonable fare

Pe@rson

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:47 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 12):
I have a brain.

Evidently not, considering:

I have never had the slightest ambition

And:

Im contented with what I have

Which is all because of hand-outs.

And comments like:

You strike me as being someone who is very much an attention-seeker and a person who thinks others will find things you 'do' as impressive and thus see you in an even better light. Your absolute unwillingness to have a career (or even a job - any job) is absurd. The result? Sheer stupidness, ignorance and pompousness - and a facade which is utterly pitiful and laughable.

Orion737
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:00 am

I thank you. May I point out your ego. You may well have sat your A levels at 15 but then when I was 15 I was being a teenager, feeling up girls blouses and sneakily drinking cider and having a laugh. I sat my A levels at 18!!

You have been banned from this forum before, I have not. So I have got one up on you there.

Lets leave the personal attacks now and concentrate on aviation.

Pe@rson

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:05 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 17):
May I point out your ego. You may well have sat your A levels at 15 but then when I was 15 I was being a teenager, feeling up girls blouses and sneakily drinking cider and having a laugh. I sat my A levels at 18!!

Umm, no. I STARTED (i.e. I did not finish) my A Levels at 15. And I still had a job and went out partying (the latter increased greatly while at university. Ooooh the good old days).

My older brother luckily had a friend who was a bouncer, so I got into a good nightclub despite my age (and very young looks). And what's more, the bouncer friend had a girlfriend who worked at the bar. So I didn't have to sneek around. :-P

I don't have an ego problem whatever; in fact, I am very down-to-earth, particularly in 'real' life. I just get irritated by little fools.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 17):
You have been banned from this forum before, I have not. So I have got one up on you there.

Damn. How awful I feel. However will I cope? I mean, this is all so real and all.  

[Edited 2005-09-26 17:07:07]

AF022

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:37 am

Um, trying to get back on topic, I went because of the train - took it from Ouagadougou to Abidjan. Great way to see the country. Marvelous place, really. I highly recommend Burkina, although I'm not sure if the train still runs.

MaverickM11

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:56 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 4):
A week? That is an absurdly short amount of time

Nonsense Smile! I'm going to Tunisia for a weekend this weekend...and if Air France flew to Denver I'd have already visited half of the West African capitals for a weekend (Ouagadougou and N'Djamena both being high on my list). Sure it's tiring and you won't see much but when you have no vacation time it's totally worth it taking in 48 hours of a totally different city.
E pur si muove -Galileo

luv2fly

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:04 am

Tres amusant!

I have a brain. Just dont always make full use of it. I have never had the slightest ambition which is why I dont have a career. Im contented with what I have. No bad thing.

I can not imagne feeling this way! You really should try to aim higher, though just my opinion.
You can cut the irony with a knife

MaverickM11

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:24 am

Quoting AF022 (Reply 19):
Um, trying to get back on topic, I went because of the train - took it from Ouagadougou to Abidjan. Great

I'd definitely go to Burkina Faso over Ivory Coast right now...that's for sure.
E pur si muove -Galileo

BigOrange

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:18 am

My parents are not rich but my gran is and I am her favourite

I very rarely judge people for whatever fault they have, because I have my own faults, that I'll readily admit to, but all I can say is "Spoilt Brat."

Not many people like working for a living, but most of us have to work to live.

What happens when your gran dies, who's going to provide for you then? You'll have to look for a job, and what's a prospective employer going to think when they ask you why you didn't work for x number of years, and you answer "oh I didn't like to work, my gran paid for me to stay at home"???

Again, all I can say is "Spoilt Brat"

7LBAC111

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:32 pm

I have got to stop going on holiday - these threads always appear when I'm away and I can't really get involved!!! That said, I'm gonna add just a few comments and smilies!

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 10):
serious neurology

We all know that. But surely to have neurological problems you first need a brain?

rotfl   rotfl 

Im contented with what I have. No bad thing

But you actually HAVE nothing. Apparently what you do have has come from handouts from rich relatives. Where is your self esteem, any iota of self appreciation? How do you manage to get your lazy ass outta bed?

Oh, I know - your Gran had the Stena Stair Lift extended to the end of your bed so you didnt have to move!

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 23):
My parents are not rich but my gran is and I am her favourite

I very rarely judge people for whatever fault they have, because I have my own faults, that I'll readily admit to, but all I can say is "Spoilt Brat."

Not so much spoilt brat as Lazy Arse!  scratchchin 

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 23):
Not many people like working for a living, but most of us have to work to live

Exactly. Well said and welcome to my RU list. Big grin

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

zvezda

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:59 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 10):
But surely to have neurological problems you first need a brain?

Actually, many brainless organisms have a nervous system. Brains evolved long after nervous systems did.

Orion737
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:03 am

7LBAC, I missed you! NOT! where you been then? sharpening your claws? Big grin

madhatter

Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:17 am

Having read this post with quite some bemusement I cant help but question your reply in No 9 where you say you are not an adventurous traveller? Now excuse me questioning this but Burkina Faso is not your average holiday destination for a quick jolly for the weekend now is it? Maybe a weekend in Butlins would more in your style!

BAViscount

Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:35 am

Why don't you give the guy a break?? Not everyone in this world is high-flying and ambitious. He's already said, he's not claiming benefits, so if he doesn't need to work, good luck to him. I know if I had a gran who could throw money at me, I wouldn't work either!! The only reason I work is because I need money to live...no other reason.

And if he only wants to go to Burkina Faso for a week, that's his business. All he wanted to know was whether he should go with Air France or Air Burkina, not what you thought about his own personal lifestyle choice.

[Edited 2005-10-02 19:37:34]
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

arkhem

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:28 am

I LOVE Burkina Faso! I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time. But, I feel that you may be going at the wrong time (if there is one Big grin). The best time to go is during FESPACO (the film festival), but don't wait because the next one is in 2007.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 3):
She told me that in Burkina Faso, the women collect and harvest shea fruit from the trees and make moisturising butter and sell it to Western tourist and companies like the body shop.

Actually my uncle used to run a textile business in Ouaga and he just shipped a 250 lb. block of shea butter  eyepopping  to the US from Ouaga. One of my aunts had to pick it up from ATL and she was sooo pissed.  slaphappy 

I never liked work and it made me unhappy and to be honest, I was glad to give it up.

Funny that you say this, because I just quit my job...err well tomorrow. I say do what you like and don't bother with what makes you unhappy, life is too short not to. I find most people are so horribly fixated on 'job security' that they're afraid to take a big gamble by doing something else. I've gotta respect you for that.

btw...take the AF 343...

BestWestern

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:59 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 24):
your Gran had the Stena Stair Lift

Does she work on Ferries or something? Thought she was rich??

Do Air Bukra Faso serve tea?
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

MaverickM11

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:47 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 28):
Not everyone in this world is high-flying and ambitious

French unions for example  rotfl 
E pur si muove -Galileo

Orion737
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:52 am

I see ambition and work-obsessed people and they pursue ambition with a greed and ruthlessness that makes me not too sad that I havent been blessed with much ambition.

Back to topic, Ive abandoned my thoughts of a trip to Burkina Faso as the only person I have to travel with at the moment is my girlfreind and she dosent fancy a week in Ouagadougou.

I am trying to persuade her to come to Beirut for a short break as I here the city is beautiful and rebuilding itself again. I am suprised there is no service to BEY from MAN, I would have thought MEA might have been able to make a once or twice weekly service work.

7LBAC111

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 32):
Back to topic, Ive abandoned my thoughts of a trip to Burkina Faso as the only person I have to travel with at the moment is my girlfreind and she dosent fancy a week in Ouagadougou.

Excuse me??? Girlfriend? When did you switch buses?
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

mainMAN

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:28 am

am trying to persuade her to come to Beirut for a short break as I here the city is beautiful and rebuilding itself again. I am suprised there is no service to BEY from MAN

Yes there is. Syrian call in on their way to Damascus.

the only person I have to travel with at the moment is my girlfreind and she dosent fancy a week in Ouagadougou.

Eh? Does she know about your penchant for Jet2 stewards' arses?

Orion737
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:42 pm

Strictly platonic is the girlfriend!!! Although my dad teases me that he thinks she has had a crush on me for years and is waiting to pounce Big grin

IHadAPheo

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:36 am

Why not try a Benin, Togo and Burkina Faso expedition, a 3 Country extravaganza. 3 ticks off the old checklist and enough time peeking out of a hotel window to satisfy even the most timid traveler. After wraping up the super trio above you could even make the quick hop to glorious Western NewYorkand watch the population leave for jobs in other States

BTW how old is your gran and is she partial to chubby, bumpy yanks??

IHAP  old 

[Edited 2005-10-08 20:37:45]
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers