rootsair

What's The Definition Of 5th Freedom Rights?

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:14 pm

I am a great fan of aviation. I love airplanes, flight sim , and making airplane models is my big hobby. However, I'm still not aware of the more politial aspects of aviation which is another reason why I chose to become member of airliners.net.

I would like it if someone could give me an explanation about what 5th freedom rights are...and why 5th ?

I'm sure it may seem evident to many of you but this is one aspect of aviation I still have a lot to discover about!

Regards

BM

[Edited 2005-09-27 11:14:56]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

FlySSC

RE: What's The Definition Of 5th Freedom Rights?

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:21 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
I would like it if someone could give me an explanation about what 5th freedom rights are...and why 5th ?

Because there are 4 other "freedom" before this one !

The "5th freedom" is, for an airline to be allowed to carry some passengers from A to B. Both of A & B not beeing located in the country of origin of this airline.

Example :

Air France operating CDG-EZE-SCL.
AF (French Airline) can sell tickets and carry passengers boarding on its flight at EZE (Argentina) to go to SCL (Chile).
AF has a "Fifth freedom" right between EZE & SCL.

rootsair

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:26 pm

Thanks for your explanation

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 1):
Because there are 4 other "freedom" before this one !

What would the other freedoms be ?
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

BCAL

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:32 pm

See this link for full descriptions
http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/Data/freedoms.htm
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

AeroWesty

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:33 pm

Google is your friend:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ents/page/dft_aviation_025895.hcsp

The International Air Transport Agreement of December 1944 defined the five "freedoms of the air" (where the following definitions relate to aircraft registered in state A):

1st freedom - the right to fly over state B without commercial or technical stops.

2nd freedom - the right to land in state B for technical purposes, e.g. refuelling.

3rd freedom - the right to set down traffic from state A in state B.

4th freedom - the right to pick up traffic in state B destined for state A.

5th freedom - the right to pick up traffic in state B destined for state C or put down traffic in state B originating in state C.

In addition, other "freedoms of the air" are often referred to. Although not formally defined, these are commonly understood as follows:

6th freedom - a service taking passengers between states B and C which flies via state A.

7th freedom - a service between state B and state C operated by airline of state A (also called a "free-standing fifth freedom").

8th freedom - cabotage, picking up and setting down traffic within the borders of state B by an aircraft registered in state A.
International Homo of Mystery