gilesdavies

How Does The HP/US Merger Effect The UA Codeshare?

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:08 am

Couple of questions about how US Airways' and United's relationship will go now the new merger has taken place. As I am on the wrong side of the Atlantic - would be interested to hear what people have heard. Also I have flown many US/UA codeshare flights when been in the US over the last few years.

I was just wondering how United felt about about the new merger of US Airways and America West?

I know US Airways and United use to work very closely and would codeshare flights between each others hubs and also offered passengers of both airlines very similar benefits like free upgrades for frequent flyer member, access to each others lounges and could gain air miles on each others routes.

Has United supported the merger of the two airlines or have they been strongly opposed to it? As I am aware a few years back there was speculation both airlines could have merged.

Correct me if I am wrong... But I think United strongly supported US Airways' application to join the Star Alliance, will the merger of US and HP have any implications? I am aware the new airline wishes to remain in the Star Alliance and in my opinion can only strengthen the alliance by offering more flights and routes.

Is the codeshare between United and the new US Airways likely to continue or do you think they will slowly part company and just continue their relationship in the Star Alliance like they do with any other airlines in the group?

[Edited 2005-09-28 00:10:08]

N1120A

RE: How Does The HP/US Merger The United Codeshare?

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:10 am

UA has mostly remained silent on this merger. As of now, the codeshare is uneffected and HP/US is still a member of STAR. It is really up to United to decide if they stay or not
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

FlyBoy84

RE: How Does The HP/US Merger Effect The UA Codeshare?

Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:52 pm

I think US will be in the Star Alliance for the forseeable future. It's great for me because if I fly south to say TPA, I can fly on US through CLT rather than flying to ORD or IAD and still get the miles on a US flight.