SonicZoom87
Topic Author

Landing Questions

Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:57 pm

I'm a fan of aviation but have not yet taken courses of piloting and navigation.
This questions I would like for pilots to answer of anyone that is informed of such. Basic qustions probably for pilots but sure interesting for fans like me.

1) Do pilots turn off their navigational screens for "visual approaches"?

2) Do pilots prefer to use ILS even when not necessary, maybe just for a little extra accuracy or informational help?

3) Who usually lands the aircraft? Pilot or Copilot? Is it whoever for just practice? or does one do takeoff and the other landing?

I know these must be very simple questions to answer but is always fun knowing the answers from professionals.

Thanks.
Jc

PhilSquares

RE: Landing Questions

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:50 pm

1) All the screens stay on and all the information is displayed just as if you're doing an ILS/LOC/VOR approach. However, the flight director is turned off.

2) Normally, the ILS is left on, just for reference.

3) Depends on the airline. However, generally speaking you take turns. One pilot flies the first leg, takeoff and landing. Then the other pilot does the next leg, and so on. Usually, you do the takeoff and the landing. Some airlines have weather minimums where the Capt would have to do the landing.
Fly fast, live slow

oly720man

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:13 pm

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 1):
3) Depends on the airline.

Does it also depend on the airport? Eg Hong Kong where the approach was difficult or would the copilot land there to build up experience.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

flykal

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:19 pm

As PhilSquares stated, usually we do takeoffs and landings in turns, or there will be times when one pilot will do the takeoff, the other the landing and so on.

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 2):
Does it also depend on the airport?

Yes. There are some particular airports here in the south of Korea for example where only the captain can land the aircraft - usually because of a particularly short runway for a B737-800.
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

N405MX

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:50 am

Quoting Flykal (Reply 3):
As PhilSquares stated, usually we do takeoffs and landings in turns, or there will be times when one pilot will do the takeoff, the other the landing and so on.

I remember a crew, with about 4 flights together, they where switching take offs and landings so they had the same number (2 take offs, 2 landings each, etc)

Sometimes the captain let the f/o to do the job if he´s in training or new in the plane/company.

Cheers
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....