SunValley
Topic Author

Independence To Cut 600 Jobs

Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:15 am

Just heard that they will be laying off 600 from all departments.

jetbluefan1

RE: Independence To Cut 600 Jobs

Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:16 am

My thoughts and best wishes to those who will be affected by this.

JetBluefan1

drerx7

Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:20 am

The bloodletting has begun
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

zvezda

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:16 am

It's not enough to save the company.

supa7E7

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:30 am

Is that what it looks like ?!?!

A taps bugle with a speaker so you just press a button ?!? whoa  yes 
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

Midway2AirTran

Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:13 am

Here we go..restructuring #2!! Probably last chance before the court gets involved if it will not this time around. I would believe the heavy cash they started up with has helped them reach a second life, but everything is critical now since they are now highly leveraged. Gee, sounds like Delta's cash/financial situation all over again asides for it occuring far faster than it did with DL! Glad I have not invested in either!!

Indy has announced another significant cut in RDU service, all the way down from around 15 flights they started with. I believe the cut is down to four flights now. I'll miss the $49 fares to IAD! Hopefully those employees who want to stay in the industry can find jobs with the airlines that are still growing.
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

FutureFO

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:49 am

Hey guess what??? Oct 17th is right around the corner. The day that the BK rules change here in the US. They better find something to do.

Sean from MCO and IND
I Don't know where I am anymore

as739x

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:52 am

Please pick me up, I fell off my chair in surprise (sarcasim)

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

flyibaby

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:58 am

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 7):
Hey guess what??? Oct 17th is right around the corner. The day that the BK rules change here in the US. They better find something to do.

Sean from MCO and IND

Sean

Actually it would be different for DH. They won't have to file because the biggest stipulation is thier planned exit date. Since DH isn't very big, they would probably only need a year and change to either exit or liquidate. DL and NW both had to file before the deadline because they are on 3+ year BK plans.

UALPHLCS

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:35 pm

until one of the 600 is Skeen FlyI remains doomed.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

flybyguy

Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:01 pm

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 7):

Bankruptcy rules will change little if any for corporate America, however it is bankruptcies of private citizens that will be radically changed. This Administration has been all about screwing the little guy, then taking the savings to light cigars for corporate America... go figure.

As far as independence is concerned... I haven't heard anything about job cuts... they may just be malicious rumors to bring them to a premature demise. However, if they do cut jobs so early in the game then that is not a mark of a successful airline. And Wall Street will dump DH like so much rubbish.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Bicoastal

Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:00 pm

Makes sense to cut staff after all of the flight reductions.

United Airlines at Dulles is chronically understaffed. They have many positions open on the ramp and in customer service. Hey, Independence staffers, journey across the tarmac to apply. Delta Global Services, the United Express contractor, is also hiring.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

phoenixX2

Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:31 pm

I did not know that they had 600 employee.....

FutureFO

Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:03 pm

Actually the BK rules change for everybody. Not just Joe Citizen.

Sean
I Don't know where I am anymore

c680

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:44 pm

IAD has become quite crowded over the past few years.

1) A majority of the BizJets moved from DCA to IAD post 9/11

The effect has been uneven ops, since these are unscheduled. To make matters worse, there are two FBOs (Hawthorne and Signature) on opposite sides of the field, so either approach tries to line them up for their closest runway, or there is an increase in cross ramp traffic.

2) The arrival of Indy saw a huge increase in the number of operations at IAD. The RJ Hub "Strategy" was interesting at best, but frequent flights of small (50 pax airliners) wreaks havoc during the IAD rush hours at 9am and 3pm.

I don't want to see anyone lose their job, but it is time for Indy to go. UA is understaffed, and the Washington DC area has one of the lowest unemployment rates of any place in the USA. That means work for baggage handlers and agents may not be in aviation, but there is no where in the US Constitution that guarantees a job, much less one in a profession of your choosing. Higher skilled folks (A&P and Pilots) tend to be a bit more mobile. FAs have their own issues, but folks who complain about FA work fall into the same category as people who move into a house under and arrival corridor, and then complain about the airplane noise: You made your choice, now live with it or change. Just because you didn't research the downsides, doesn't mean you're not responsible.

Even if Indy just de-evolves into an A319 operator, that would make life at IAD much easier on the rest of us who have to use the airport. The reduction of RJ ops is already beginning to help.
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

TPASXM787

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:32 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 10):
This Administration has been all about screwing the little guy, then taking the savings to light cigars for corporate America... go figure.

By far off. So you're telling me that someone should be able to declare Ch.7 presonal bankruptcy, screw all their creditors(as in the get $0), and in a year be smelling like a rose? I think not. I work in consumer finance, I see it every day.

Corporate BK laws are changing too.
This is the Last Stop.

ltbewr

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:44 am

Maybe this was the rumored 'Big Announcement' from Indy Air in a number of posts last week? Doesn't sound good and I would bet that they go file in BK soon.
The soon to be effective changes in the BK laws as to the personal bankruptcy chapters have gotten more attention and are potentially more far reaching (thanks to the credit card companies that want to make up for their stupidity in offering more credit to the wrong people), there are several important and lesser known changes as to business bankruptices that will try and make it less attractive for businesses to enter BK.

Kohflot

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:51 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 11):
Hey, Independence staffers, journey across the tarmac to apply. Delta Global Services, the United Express contractor, is also hiring.

There are some employees that simply can't 'journey across the tarmac' and stay in the IAD area. Dispatchers for one.. the only other airlines with dispatch offices in the DC vicinity are MAXJet, Gemini (if it's still there), and Colgan. Those airlines have only a handful of dispatchers each..

The pilots are up a creek too. Any new flying job will likely mean a move elsewhere in the country. They'll also start all over again at the bottom of a seniority list (remember, any pilot still at Independence has been with the company for quite a while), meaning low pay and a renewed threat of being furlough fodder.
Ask why..