mikeyyz

Dash 8 Spoilers @ T/o

Fri May 12, 2000 11:22 am

Hello
I'm wondering if someone can tell me why most if not all Dash-8's extend their spoilers while they are taxing into position to take off.

MIKEYYZ

J32driver

RE: Dash 8 Spoilers @ T/o

Fri May 12, 2000 11:30 am

I don't know squat about the Dash 8, but it may be spoilerons and not actually spoilers. I imagine during the before takeoff check, the flight crew must box out the controls to check for free control movement. You are probably seeing the spoilerons rise as the control yoke is moved either left or right. If the yoke is turned to the right, the spoilerons on the right side should rise. Same with the left. I know the ATR has spoilerons in addition to the ailerons and that is what you would see as the airplane takes position on the runway.

Fri May 12, 2000 11:38 am

I agree with Muppet.. err.. J32driver.

The surfaces are likely spoilerons and they are being deflected during the pre takeoff control check.

Any Dash 8 drivers out there?

J32driver

Fri May 12, 2000 11:48 am

Hey stickboy, why don't you just go research this for us. Get back to us in say about 2 months or so.  

See... I did learn something usefull with all that time spent sitting in line at STL.

mikeyyz

That Can't Be It.

Fri May 12, 2000 11:59 am

NO! They are spoilers or on the upper surface of the wing. I can tell the difference between spoilers and ailerons. Anyways they are up for at least 10-30 seconds and on the L and R wing at the same time.
Once he gets cleared to take position they go up and lets say 3 second after he applies t/o power they go down.

MIKEYYZ

RE: That Can't Be It.

Fri May 12, 2000 12:10 pm

First of all, we were talking about "spoilerons" not ailerons. Spoilerons are on the upper surface of the wing and sometimes have the dual purpose of roll control augmentation and drag production.

If they came up at the same time, it is possible that they are just spoilers. In that case they are either being checked (I don't know if there is a seperate control for this in the Dash 8) or perhaps they are tied to a microswitch in the power lever quadrant. Maybe when they go into ground idle or reverse the spoilers are deploying? This would happen while taxiing into position because reverse/ground idle is the primary means of stopping or slowing a turboprop, not the bakes.

I'm glad you've learned something Muppet! I thought you Super-Pile drivers were beyond hope!

mikeyyz

Thanks ATR

Fri May 12, 2000 12:37 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. Now it makes more sense.

MIKEYYZ