av8rboie

FAA Approves Major Expansion Of O'hare

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:58 am

The FAA annonced today that it has approve a plan to expand O'hare Airport. It's a 448 acre expanstion that includes the destruction of over 400 homes, and 200 businesses. Pretty interesting.

Associated Press Article

gigneil

RE: FAA Approves Major Expansion Of O'hare

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:42 am

About damn time.

N

Glareskin

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:49 am

Quoting Av8rboie (Thread starter):
The FAA annonced today that it has approve a plan to expand O'hare Airport.

Up to being the largest airport in all discipline (again). At least, that's what I would expect for 15 Billion dollar.....

Good for O'hare, one of the most pleasant major airports in the world.  bigthumbsup 
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

N328KF

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:50 am

They didn't waste any time getting to work:

When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

av8rboie

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:55 am

I think it's a good idea also. I do however, have one issue with the project. It's been hinted that Mayor Daley used federal airport improvement funds earmarked for the expansion of O'hare for his midnight, illegal destruction of Meigs Field.

As a private pilot, I found that particular action to be a tad underhanded. Especially if it is in fact found that he used those funds earmarked for O'hare for the destruction.

That being said. It's nice to see progress being made.

CactusA319

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:44 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 3):
They didn't waste any time getting to work:

Actually you're right. Construction crews are already digging up ground for the new 9L/27R.

ckfred

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:36 pm

And a federal judge in Washington has issue a temporary restraining order, halting all construction work. The plaintiffs in the matter are the Villages of Bensenville and Elk Grove Village and a religious rights group, concerned that moving an old cemetary is a violation of the 1st Amendment.

The mayors of Bensenville and Elk Grove are pains in the ass. They are holding the entire U.S. air system hostage for their own egos, i.e., standing up to Mayor Daley.

johnberg

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:00 pm

Trust me whatever Mayor Daley wants Mayor Daley gets. He closed down Meigs Field, under his own power and only got a slap on the wrist. Also, their is the matter of eminent domain. As long as the government gives people fair value for their property, nothing wrong is going to happen. The issue of the cemetary is really the only concern. Trust me this will happen Elk Grove and Bensenville have no chance of winning.

ckfred

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:23 pm

Johnberg:

Bensenville has been buying houses in the area and intends to drag out the emminant domain process. Remember that Bensenville is in DuPage County, and all the judges in DuPage are Republican.

The Village actually got a court order barring the City from discussing the purchase of houses with owners, although I think that order was tied to the FAA approval.

Eventually, the City will win, but the City has the new runway scheduled to open in late '07 or early '08. Between suing the FAA and stalling the eminant domain cases, this could several years to the process.

What gripes me is that I can drive to ORD in 25 to 45 minutes, depending on traffic. Peotone is 90 minutes with no traffic, and well over 2 hours in rush hour.

irelayer

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:36 pm

That took a while. Hopefully it gets finished with the minimum amount of hand-wringing and feet dragging.

-IR

767-332ER

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:21 pm

Does anyone have any layout prints of what it should look like once everything is completed? I am curious to know.
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

ANCFlyer

Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:09 pm

And hours later, it is quickly halted by an Appeals Court . . .

Read it here:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-09-30-ohare-expansion_x.htm
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ORD Boy 2

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:44 am

Im sick of Rep. Jackson, Mayor Gelis, Village President Johnson and all of thes SOC cronies. GET OVER IT YOU LOST!!!! Stop trying to hurt the metro Chicago region for there own personal gain! Geils and Johnson are the last stalwarts this anti expansion movement and need to realize they have lost.

jeffry747

Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:03 am

It's great that they finally got the go-ahead to expand one of the world's most chaotic airports. It is also very smart, IMHO, that they chose a layout similar to DFW so more planes could come and go on time. However, they need to find a way to get around the cemetery and let the deceased R.I.P. My home airport of SDF has an old Indian burial ground smack dab in the middle of UPS property. When construction crews found the remains of deceased Indians, they simply left it alone and built around it. It is not a very big site, mybe half an acre at most, so it doesn't compare to a cemetery with 1300 graves. But it is still not very respectable to dig them all up and relocate them. If the cemetery is in the way, then they need to expand in a different direction, simply put.
C'mon Big B, FLY!

Midway2AirTran

Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:29 am

This is actually one case where I hope Daley will step over barriers to get the job done more quickly. I'm not sure if any comprimise can be done not to move the graves, but that does not change the need for this project to get going. Knowing Daley, I'm guessing is that the construction might still be going on despite the appeal, can anyone confirm?

Quoting 767-332ER (Reply 10):
Does anyone have any layout prints of what it should look like once everything is completed?

Check this out, it has a PDF with some of the planned changes.
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...on+Program&entityNameEnumValue=130

Quoting Johnberg (Reply 7):
matter of eminent domain.

I was trying to find a source. But I read of a recent case where the Supreme Court granting more power to the goverment for use of Eminant Domain, including land for private companies. Odds are, the appeal might not stick for long.
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

FriendlySkies

Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:45 am

I hate politics...always getting in the way of the advancement of our world...

bomber996

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:08 am

Why do they want to eventually close 14L-32R and 14R-32L? Wouldn't this reduce capacity? Keeping these runways could allow for another arrival stream. Or am I wrong? Overall, however, I think its a smart advancement.

Peace  box 
Two biggest lies in aviation... "I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help you." & "Traffic in sight."

IslipWN

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:11 am

Wait, how do they make people and businesses move?

FriendlySkies

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:15 am

They buy the land or get a court order to evict whoever lives/operates there.

SLUAviator

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:17 am

Check out www.bigairport.com. It has all kinds of info on the current ORD plus a link to the expansion page.
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......