Topic Author

VIASA: Sad Ending (pics)

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:03 am

Hey guys,

Today I found these images and I got quite sad.

Probably, VIASA's death has been discussed before, but perhaps, you haven't seen this pictures.

How sad could this be for all the pilots and crew who attended these aircraft?... No clue.

Here they are:

Before:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © JetPix

After:

View Large View Medium

Photo © João Martins
View Large View Medium

Photo © João Martins

Before:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos A. Morillo Doria

After:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui
View Large View Medium

Photo © Philip Edwards

Speechless!

Saludos
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

LatinPlane

RE: VIASA: Sad Ending (pics)

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:46 am

It was a sad end. To me it was one of Latin America's greatest airlines. But, I also think that VIASA in all essence died with the Venezuela that once was; the Venezuela of the 50s, 60s, and 70s! The once prosperous country that got spoiled and forgot to look itself in the mirror and for which it is now having a huge identity crisis. In any case, VIASA even after almost ten years after it ceased operations still evokes passion within my aviation soul.

Just look at its once proud European network:

Madrid (4 x weekly)
Santiago de Compostela (1 x weekly discontinued a year before it shut down)
Tenerife (1 x weekly discontinued in the late 80s)
Porto (2 x weekly)
Lisbon (2 x weekly)
Paris (2 x weekly)
London Heathrow (2 x weekly)
Zurich (2 weekly)
Frankfurt (4 x weekly)
Rome (4 x weekly)
Milan (4 x weekly)

Now that's certainly a very impressive route network. I wish I could get a hold of one of their old in-flight magazines. Does anyone know what happened with Viasa's headquarters 'La Torre de Viasa' in downtown Caracas, near Parque Central?

LatinPlane

[Edited 2005-10-01 00:13:32]
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

Topic Author

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:51 am

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 1):
Just look at its once proud European network

Wow, Impressive!

Don't forget their American network: Toronto, New York, Miami, Orlando, Chicago (I think) Bogota, Santiago....

What a Pity

thomasphoto60

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:32 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 2):
Don't forget their American network: Toronto, New York, Miami, Orlando, Chicago (I think) Bogota, Santiago....

Why does everyone forget Houston?

View Large View Medium

Photo © George W. Hamlin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas millard

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Abshier

Unfortunely I could not find any DC-10 pics but IAH did see Viasa's DC-10s. I also seem to remember that Viasa operated 722s as well.

Indeed a sad demise of one of Latin America's great carriers.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

satx

Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:31 am

The network seems large until you notice the 2x weekly flights. How many other carriers operate like that? Also, those aircraft would have been scrapped sooner or later, no matter what happened to the airline that operated them.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

jeffry747

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:59 am

The image of a backhoe running that 727 through is absolutely heartbreaking. It pains me to see an airplane die. YV-125C, R.I.P.
C'mon Big B, FLY!

Chiguire

Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:19 am

These are very very sad pictures from my favorite airline. Honestly, I don't want to see them.

In terms of destinations, there were a lot more than those listed, also charter flights to Europe. And the frequencies mentioned changed a lot. So there were times - at the end - where LON and ORY were served 2xweekly. Then there were AMS flights up to 3xweekly until the early 90s.

There were charter flights to BLL and FRA.

So I wish this airline would be reborn as a PRIVATE carrier. But these are dreams. The spirit is gone and there are too many debts left open abroad in 1993.

VIASA was the best airline Venezuela ever had. It was a typical flag carrier. And it was a carrier to be proud of.

R.I.P.

bredman1

Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:42 am

Quote:
The image of a backhoe running that 727 through is absolutely heartbreaking. It pains me to see an airplane die. YV-125C, R.I.P.

You get use to it, my crews have dismantled more than 100 airliners in the past 3 years

Avianca

Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:48 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 4):
The network seems large until you notice the 2x weekly flights. How many other carriers operate like that? Also, those aircraft would have been scrapped sooner or later, no matter what happened to the airline that operated them.

the amount of weekly operations was years back not uncommon... even big airlines like LH, AF etc did not served these days back daily the routes. often 2 - 3 per week.

regards
Avianca

[Edited 2005-10-01 22:48:37]
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

chrisnh

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:00 am

Why was a plane from a Venezuelan airline being broken up in Portugal??

viasa

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:03 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 6):
VIASA was the best airline Venezuela ever had. It was a typical flag carrier. And it was a carrier to be proud of.

That is aboluty correct!

I was only two times on board of a VA DC-10, but this two flights were great. After this flights I loved VA. I search all about this airline, but it was really hard here in Switzerland.

wassch71

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:50 am

Hey, don't forget that Viasa's network extended to Beirut back in the mid seventies, as per this March 75 add:

Cheers,

Wassim.
MEA...Like No Other

viasa

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:59 am

Have you see the slogan? Viasa - Worlds first all jet airline!!!

Chiguire

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:02 am

What a network for 1975 ! This is one of the reason why I think this airline is so impressive.
They were one of the first airlines to introduce the DC10 on flights to FRA. LH was still operating the 707 on FRA-CCS at that time !

Aleksandar

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:13 am

Hmm, something strange just came to my mind. Back in 1989 or 1990, governments of Yugoslavia and Venezuela signed a bilaterral agreement and there were talks about both JAT and VIASA to fly there. All those years later, VIASA is gone and JAT is on its way to eventually diasappear (it has already disappeared as a long-haul airline).

As for photos posted here, every time I see a photo of a scrapped airliner, it makes me really sad.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Topic Author

Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:22 am

Hey guys,
now that I think about this, what are the possibilities tof bringing VIASA back to life? Starting totally new, a whole different airline but with new aircraft and new administration... Is that possible?

That would be amazing!

Saludos

Buyantukhaa

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:46 am

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 9):
Why was a plane from a Venezuelan airline being broken up in Portugal??

Because there was a long-running dispute between VIASA and its Portuguese branch regarding unpaid salaries. While the majority opted for a settlement, three ex-employees had this 727 impounded (how it got there in the first place I really don't know, rangewise) and eventually I believe the ex-employees did win the settlement. The plane spent years in a LIS hangar though with the lawsuit pending. In the end spare parts were probably more valuable than the plane as a whole, those were sold/auctioned and the airframe was scrapped.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

CMK10

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:48 am

Back in the day, when my Mother was a Corporate Lawyer, she was lucky enough to work on a deal with Viasa. On the flight back up to JFK, the pilots called her into the cockpit and thanked her for working with their airline. They then pulled out the jumpseat for her and allowed her to sit in it while they landed at JFK.
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

timeair

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:41 pm

Quoting 797 (Reply 2):
Don't forget their American network: Toronto

Since when the H**l was Toronto considered to be a part of America? I think you mean North America.
You can't get there from here.

Avianca

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:37 pm

Quoting Timeair (Reply 18):
Since when the H**l was Toronto considered to be a part of America? I think you mean North America.

isnt NorthAmerica a part of America? the complete region is knonw under Iata rules as TACT1 (the americas)

regards
Avianca

lamedianaranja

KL's New 'Bus Is Here And Her Name Is...

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:33 pm

its once proud European network

Proud but not comfortable: AMS-FRA-MAD-CCS or AMS-CDG-MAD-CCS or once we even did FCO-MXP-Santo Domingo-CCS

I wish I could get a hold of one of their old in-flight magazines

I've got some VIASAR 's but will NEVER give them up! And 'Traveling with Viasa', about tourist spots in Venezuela.

Quoting Timeair (Reply 18):
Toronto

I'll never forget the sight of hundreds of Canadians walking backward to the aircraft on the Margarita platform: as to catch the last rays of sun before going back into hibernation  Wink
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

Avianca

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:38 pm

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 20):
Proud but not comfortable: AMS-FRA-MAD-CCS or AMS-CDG-MAD-CCS or once we even did FCO-MXP-Santo Domingo-CCS

these days back normall... can remember the glory Avianca scheduel into FRA.

FRA-CDG-MAD-CCS-BOG-LIM

regards
Avianca

Chiguire

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:47 pm

I remember, but this was in the 80s. Later the routings were AMS-MAD-CCS or FRA-MAD-CCS, FRA-ZRH-CCS, FRA-MXP-PMV etc.
But remember that most of the flights you mentioned, e.g. AMS-FRA-MAD-CCS went on to MAR.

I've got some VIASAR 's but will NEVER give them up! And 'Traveling with Viasa', about tourist spots in Venezuela.

So do I ! I even had almost all timetables from VIASA untill my parents decided that it was just old paper and threw them all away !

Quoting 797 (Reply 15):
now that I think about this, what are the possibilities tof bringing VIASA back to life? Starting totally new, a whole different airline but with new aircraft and new administration... Is that possible?

You would need a lot of money for that ! Remember all the debts old VIASA has abroad an within the country (pensions etc.). That's why they now made something called Conviasa or so.
But if you have the bucks, let's go !

caribb

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:48 pm

I'd see the occasional VIASA jet in Montreal every now and then. KLM had one 747 that was painted KLM on one side and VIASA on the other... I looked up over my house and a VIASA 747 was coming into Montreal... as a kid and aviation fanatic I went ballistic running around pointing at the plane from Venezuela (although really coming in from Amsterdam)... all my friends looked at me like I was from another planet LOL..

nwafflyer

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:56 pm

Please - in North America, there are 3 countries. The United States, Mexico and Canada. All of them are part of America

caribb

Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:28 pm

I think people have to understand Canadians take offence to being lumped in as part of "America". "America" to us is the USA. We live in North America. When the US majors consider Canadian cities "domestic" it's as if the "Canada is the 51st" state" mentality takes over. There may be perfect sense to lump us in from an operational point of view and Canada may be logically considered as part of "America" from a global ATC perspective but still it can hit a raw nerve suggesting we are something less than an independant country with an identity of our own. The reaction has nothing to do with aviation. It's easy to be overwhelmed and ignored when you live next to the most powerful country on the planet. We end up being an after thought to most people and sometimes our reaction spills out in the open. It's not meant to be anti-American or anything just an assertion of our identity.

[Edited 2005-10-02 16:31:41]

JohnJ

Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:43 pm

Quoting Caribb (Reply 25):
I think people have to understand Canadians take offence to being lumped in as part of "America".

Man, talk about your catch-22s here. As someone who is a United States citizen, I've had people from Canada and Mexico take offense when I've called myself an "American" since by that term they take it that the USA has claimed all of America as its own. Can't win here.

But back to the thread - I was reviewing some old video I shot in Miami in the early 1990s recently and I managed to catch a Viasa 727 outbound. Too bad the fence was in the way or it would have been a pretty nice video sequence.

lamedianaranja

KL's New 'Bus Is Here And Her Name Is...

Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:45 pm

Quoting Caribb (Reply 23):
KLM had one 747 that was painted KLM on one side and VIASA on the other...

That was a DC-8 if I remember correctly. I didn't find any photos in the database, only the VA DC-8 with Dutch registration.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Theo Mestrum Jr

caribb

Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:48 pm

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 27):
That was a DC-8 if I remember correctly. I didn't find any photos in the database, only the VA DC-8 with Dutch registration

You're right, there was a DC-8 in split liveries... but there was also a 747-200, at least I think... perhaps it was a DC-10 (or all 3) but I do recall it being a wide body. Garuda also had a half KLM/Garuda 747 that also came into the city once or twice. Another surprising site. Maybe I'm confusing the 747 with that plane but I did see VIASA several times with a split KLM livery. Someone out there will know for sure.

[Edited 2005-10-02 17:17:15]

luisde8cd

Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 15):
Hey guys,

That would be amazing!

Enrique,
Just read my signature...

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

Chiguire

Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 29):
Just read my signature...

....your signature is of course correct. (Both parts !) But I doubt that good times will come soon - unfortunately. And if, then I hope that there is some money left !

LatinPlane

Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:54 am

VIASA schedules for the Americas: Oct 96 - Mar 97.

International Flights from Caracas:

-Bogota (daily) 727
-Buenos Aires EZE (3 x weekly) DC-10
-Cancun (2 x weekly) 727
-Cartagena de Indias (5 x weekly ) 727
-La Habana (daily) 727 (Even then, there was a lot of traffic)
-Lima (daily) 727
-Manaus (2 x weekly) 727
-Miami (9 x weekly) 727
-Punta Cana (8 weekly) 727 (double daily on Mon, Fri, and Sun)
-Quito (daily) 727
-Rio de Janeiro (2 x weekly) DC-10
-San Jose, CR. (5 weekly) 727
-St. Maarten (4 weekly) 727 (Double daily on Sun)
-Santiago de Chile (2 weekly) DC-10
-Santo Domingo (6 weekly) 727
-Sao Paulo (2 weekly) DC-10

Domestic services:
-Porlamar (12 x weekly) 727; and DC-10 2x weekly on Wed and Fri: the flights continued to Europe.

International Flights from Isla Margarita:
-Porlamar - Frankfurt (1 x weekly) DC-10 Fri
-Porlamar - Manaus (1 x weekly) Mondays
-Porlamar - Miami (2 x weekly) Wed, Sun

Source: Grupo Iberia Timetable Oct - 96 / Mar 97.

Smile LatinPlane

LatinPlane

Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 15):
Hey guys,

That would be amazing!

Saludos

They did bring it back! It's called: ConViasa La Linea Aerea de la Republica Bolivariana de Venezuela. The original Viasa is gone forever; along with the glorious Venezuela. The New Boliviarian state is here to stay; at least for the foresable future.

Lamedianaranja:

It almost sounds like you were employed by VIASA at one time. Can you please share?

Yes, VIASA's route map was definitely stuck in the 60s/70s. It was obviously one of the reasons why it shut down. They should have concentrated on being a well-organized and efficient operation instead of trying to be the ambassador of Venezuela to everybody. But this was also part of the endemic corruption resposible for its demise, not Iberia like everyone likes to point to. Another interesting fact is that VIASA had sales offices all over the place in places where they didn't generate enough sales to warrant the lease on the office. There's boundless stories of corruption within the airline. I read once that the head in charge of the Rome office embezzled most of the money generated within its sales office for himself and that VIASA never saw a single Bolivar from most of the seats booked there.

All the European routes were flown with a combination of two pair cities in order to kill two birds with one stone. For example: Caracas - Lisbon - Porto, or Caracas - Lisbon - Santiago de Compostela, and Caracas - Porto - Madrid. An interesting combination of route pairs that must have been a nightmare for the check-in staff and the route planners of VIASA in CCS.

Chiguire:

I know you wouldn't give them up for the world. But I would be so gratefull if you had the posibility of scanning the route map on the mag and e-mailing it to me!  Smile Viasa's route map is a dream come true for a Latin American airline!

Carrib:

Your memories serves you right. VIASA was technically the first Latin American airline to operate the 747 thanks to a 747 they leased form KLM that had KLM colors on the port side, while VIASA's on the other side.

Smile LatinPlane

Chiguire

Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:56 am

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 32):
Chiguire:

I know you wouldn't give them up for the world. But I would be so gratefull if you had the posibility of scanning the route map on the mag and e-mailing it to me! Smile Viasa's route map is a dream come true for a Latin American airline!

Sure, but I don't have them here. They are at the house of my parents. An if they didn't threw them awas as well, I will scan them next weekend when I visit them. And I will try to see what else I can find in my VIASA memories. Unfortunately my timetables, collected through the years are lost.

lamedianaranja

Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:53 pm

It almost sounds like you were employed by VIASA at one time. Can you please share?

My husband was a VA employee. Me being a Dutch girl, I was flying back and forth all the time. I have to say that I'd try to get on KL preferably because of the non-stop. But later when the kids were born Viasa was the better option as they were much more friendly to a mom with 2 small children. KL would frown on a nonrevver with children that cry sometimes...

scanning the route map on the mag and e-mailing it to me!

Hopefully Chiguire gets it done as I don't have a scanner. It broke down and with the arrival of digital cameras we never repaired it.