csturdiv

Anybody See Grounded On History Channel?

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:53 am

Did anybody catch the Grounded documentary on the History Channel? The show was originally aired several weeks ago on the anniversary of 9/11, but I did not watch it until last night when I found it on my DVR. It was a very interesting documentary with some great video and chilling audio between ATC and aircraft.

Craig
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

GDB

RE: Anybody See Grounded On History Channel?

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:51 am

I think i've seen this DVD advertised in aviation mags, but called 'Clear The Skies'?

This is a BBC production, though it might well have been sold to the History Channel.
If it is the same one, it was broadcast first in Sept 2002, on the terrestrial BBC2 over here.

Did the film model itself, with some irony, on the TV show '24', with a digital clock providing a timeline with some split screen footage?

But this does not detract from the seriousness of the film, which does provide a clear picture of the fallout from Sept 11 and the implications for US airspace that day.

csturdiv

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:17 am

I think this was a History Channel original. The documentary was called Grounded On 9/11 and it did not have any of the references that you mentioned in it. It even mentioned that Canada closed their airspace for a while on that day, which I never knew. One of the videos that stands out is of a Korean Air Cargo 744 that landed at Whitehorse in the Yukon.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jerry Osis

An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

GDB

Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:58 am

Yes, a different film to the one I saw, but I recommend 'Clear The Skies', if you are into buying aviation related DVD's.

Olympus69

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:42 pm

I bought 'Clear the Skies' expecting it to be about getting all the planes out of the air on 9/11 and all the diversions to Canada that took place. It wasn't about that at all, but was a fascinating account of the day's events, mostly from an air defense point of view, and safeguarding US government leaders.