JAM747
Topic Author

Any Airplane Graveyards In The Caribbean?

Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:12 am

Just wondering if any large commercial aircrafts are scrapped in the Caribbean especially Jamaica. Many years ago when I was a kid I remember passing a large field with 1 or two large scrapped airliners. I think a A300 was scrapped at the airport in Kingston. Does any one know about this or any graveyards in the Caribbean or are able bodied aircrafts normally flown to very large fields like deserts in the U.S to be scrapped?

A388

RE: Any Airplane Graveyards In The Caribbean?

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:40 am

I've heard there an ex-BWIA Lockheed L1011-500 in Port of Spain (scrapped and partially stripped) but it was to go to the museum. Don't know that much more about this.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=299728

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=299725

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=288927

I think Trintocan and BWIA772 (?) can fill you in on this one.

A388

A388

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:42 am

If I remember correctly the Dominican Republic (SDQ) also has a quite large aircraft graveyard. So does San Juan in Puerto Rico.

A388

flydl2atl

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:42 am

Too much humidity in Jamaica...that's what makes the desert so good.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:49 am

Well...big airplanes, I don't know...

But I know that in CCS they have their own aircraft cementery... They keep there all the old AVENSA'S jets, and they're a lot.

Greetz
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

United_fan

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:55 am

SDQ has a bunch of old planes.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Javier F. Bobadilla - Iberian Spotters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Toni Marimon

Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

LimaFoxTango

Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:22 am

I dont think there are any graveyards in the Caribbean. Of course there are one or two rusty piece of junk lying around some airports, but thats about it. The Caribbean would be a very bad place to "store" aircraft. It rains pretty often here and the salty air could rust planes very very quickly! Plus with hurricanes, "stored" planes wouldnt last very long in these here parts. By "stored" planes, I mean planes that could possibly fly again.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

A388

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:01 pm

I completely agree with you LimaFoxTango but a graveyard, like the word says, a the final 'resting' place of an aircraft. Aircraft in these graveyards don't fly anymore. The ealier mentioned places SDQ and SJU are the only aircraft graveyards that I know of in the Caribbean. Where I live (CUR) we are also getting our own 'aircraft graveyard' with most of the bankrupt DCA aircraft (MD82, DC-9 and Dash 8) now stored at our airport. Whether these aircraft will find a new owner I'm not so sure. They are getting in pretty bad shape if you would ask me. The Caribbean, like you pointed out, isn't the best place to store aircraft. In that you are right.

A388  Smile

777wt

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:51 pm

Aruba does have a few planes scrapped there.

There is a DC-3 on display in front of the airport entry on the street.

Another DC-3 is on the airport in the back, there's a ex Aruba Air DC-9 in the back without engines, a private DC-9 (red and white, again without engines) and they all have been there for 5+ years.
Plus one Jetstar II I think which is mounted near the golf ball looking dome (windshear monitor?) and it has one flat tire.

Other than that, there are a few aircrafts sunken under water. The story of 2 of them is that they were caught with drugs in it, the planes were impounded and sunken.
There are 2 cessna's, one single and one twin.
Plus a 4 radial engine aircraft which the rudder was still moving by the water currents since it was put there, last seen was on 1997 when I went scuba diving there. Since the hurricane that came close to Aruba, that plane is prob washed away (from what I heard, plus SEA scuba ceased operations and they were the ones with the exclusive rights to that wreck)

masseybrown

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:52 pm

Last time I was in SJU (2004), there was an interesting collection of DC-3s and Convair 440 family aircraft parked. I don't think it was a graveyard in the sense of the Arizona and California facilities. The planes just looked like abandoned relics of a few failed airlines; whether they were all flyable or not, I don't know.

luisde8cd

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:58 pm

Quoting 777WT (Reply 8):
a private DC-9 (red and white, again without engines)

That is a former Aserca Airlines DC9-15 (YV-703C). Aserca Airlines is from Venezuela.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Rogers
View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis A. Gabaldon

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis