kevin

Prince Andrew Almost Denied Boarding!

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:49 am

Prince Andrew was catching a flight from Melbourne to New Zealand and refused to a "personal scan" by metal detector. After a lot of screaming and shouting the airport security and management came in and told him he would be unable to board his flight. He finally gave up and after a 10 second search was granted acccess to his flight.

Ahh those celebrities...

yowza

RE: Prince Andrew Almost Denied Boarding!

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:22 am

That's what I call a real prick move but then again that kind of behaviour does run in the family...

YOWza

EZEIZA

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:30 am

They should have denied boarding as soon as he refused to the screening. That would have taught him. Why the hell do filthy rich people think they are above the rest if us poor bastards?
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Trolley Dolley

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:31 am

The incident was well reported over here in NZ. From all reports there was no "screaming and shouting", but an understandable annoyance given his position. It must be remembered that he is in line to be the head of state to Australia and spends his whole life as a terrorist target. The request by the Australian security officials is highly insulting and I don't blame him for being p**sed off.

BMIbaby733

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:46 am

We'll have less of your ignorance towards a member of the Royal family aswell!!!
Hang your heads in shame !

schipholjfk

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:09 am

Quoting Trolley Dolley (Reply 3):
The incident was well reported over here in NZ. From all reports there was no "screaming and shouting", but an understandable annoyance given his position. It must be remembered that he is in line to be the head of state to Australia and spends his whole life as a terrorist target. The request by the Australian security officials is highly insulting and I don't blame him for being p**sed off.

What ????????????????????? His position in life? It's time to realize Royalty is the thing of the past! Other than being born into a B.S. royalty situation exactly what has he done to earn to deserve this respect? Give me a break... millions of everyday people more in life than royal families using other people's money! It still amazes me in 2005 people still belive in Kings and Queens.
The fun of flying... love it !!!

petazulu

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:11 am

searching a quasi head of state for weapons is rude and insulting (no mater how much you dislike him). Searching his entourage is fine- to a point. These things are well outlined for the most part via diplomatic understandings.

Type-Rated

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:17 am

He isn't called HRH Prince Charles for nothing! I think if it had been HRH Prince Phillip, it would have been even worse!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Stealthz

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:17 am

This is the same as the PNG Prime Minister being insulted by security requirements at BNE, most countries have special arrangements for VIP travellers but if those VIPs choose to travel privately they are subject to the same rules as the rest of us.. end of story!! Shame Andrew for even resisting!!

Respect is not bestowed by birthright or position it must be earned and this behaviour is not the way to earn it.. not in this country anyway.

Regards

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

Type-Rated

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:21 am

Whooops! I meant Prince Andrew, not Charles! Even though I think Charles would be more likely to behave in this manner.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

ltbewr

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:24 am

Must be the security people were (in the UK context) republicans. Australia has a very egalatarian society and not fond of those who put on airs. What the should have done was to bring him to a VIP room for his 'search'. On the other hand, he could have gone through without a hassle at all and set a good example for all his 'subjects'.

LongbowPilot

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:29 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 8):
Respect is not bestowed by birthright or position it must be earned and this behaviour is not the way to earn it.. not in this country anyway

Right on! Just keep in mind he has been brought up to believe his $H!T doesn't stink.

Quoting Petazulu (Reply 6):
searching a quasi head of state for weapons is rude and insulting (no mater how much you dislike him). Searching his entourage is fine- to a point.

If he was traveling on a private jet from a Fixed base that is one thing. If he sets foot in the terminal with a commercial ticket. He is sunject to the same stringent search requirements. I think you check your life status when you enter airports, because if you create an issue at any point passengers become uneasy, and if you react in the aircarft mid flight... Whew, I think we are going to find more dead people in those situations.

Trolley Dolley

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:57 am

SchipolJfk, I didn't say I was for or against royalty. Your feelings on it are a mute point.

StealthZ. HRH Prince Andrew was travelling to New Zealand on official business, not in a private capacity. He is entitled to the protocols as such.

Australian security officials have also insisted on screening New Zealand's prime minister when she has been travelling on official business. Sorry, as an Australian myself, I find the ignorance of the screeners and lack of proper handling of heads of state when travelling via commercial aircraft when on official business is unbelievable and embarrasing.

Stealthz

Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:29 am

Sorry Trolley Dolley,

Whether official business or not, there are private VIP facilities available even when travelling via commercial flights. If for whatever reason you choose to travel with the Great Unwashed or the proletariat, depending on where you are in the political spectrum.. let's call it the general population, you are subject to the same laws, requiements and security measures they are.
Sometimes I find the hypocrisy of those in "High Station" galling, travel commercial to "maintain the common touch" but expect special treatment when doing so!

Those that make and uphold the laws are NOT exempt from them despite what their inflated sense of self importance may lead them to think. The PM of NZ or Australia is no better or different than you or me, in fact by the strictest definition they are our servant not the other way around.

The Royal family.. well that is a whole different discussion for another time & place.

Regards

Chris

PS and I can assume whose taxpayers were footing the bill, almost guarantee the Chancellor of the Exchequer did not sign the cheque.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

Trolley Dolley

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:33 am

StealthZ, whether it is "right or wrong", you quote summed it up.

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 13):
Whether official business or not, there are private VIP facilities available even when travelling via commercial flights.

In Australia, these have to be provided and organised by the Australian government and the airport authorities, but why hasn't Australia been consistently providing the proper services to heads of state passsing through its airports? After all, I saw an episode of "Airport" when Prime Minister Howard was whisked straight to his Qantas flight at LHR without having to be wanded, take his shoes off etc.

SWISSER

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:02 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 2):
They should have denied boarding as soon as he refused to the screening. That would have taught him. Why the hell do filthy rich people think they are above the rest if us poor bastards?

Well, as long as they spend big loads of cash in our industry, they are above us! (but only litteraly in the air!)
What time is top of descent?

TG992

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:43 pm

It's typical of the increasing immaturity of a.net that a legitimate issue is obscured by the ill-mannered ranting and raving and airing of completely irrelevant personal opinions about the relevance of the royal family. Who cares what you or I think of whether they are necessary or not?

The issue is not whether you believe the royal family is a good thing or a bad thing - the issue is that one of their member was subject to a security search while travelling on official business, and whether this was justified or not.

My personal view as a crew member is that I am completely comfortable with a Commonwealth head of state or royal travelling on one of my flights without being screened.
-

mandala499

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:48 pm

The request by the Australian security officials is highly insulting and I don't blame him for being p**sed off.

and what happened in Nepal? The crown prince decided to machinegun his whole family  Sad

If Prince Andy Pandy doesn't want to get screened, he should have hired a private jet... He's not a head of state of anywhere...

If he was on official business (state-to-state) matters... then well, what's the standard protocol in Australia? Is there a standard? As far as I know, until Australia becomes a republic, the Royal Family is the family of their head of state, at least there should be some protocols written down somewhere. Now if the protocols require that he be searched, tough luck Andy... otherwise, some Aussie security bloke is gonna look for another job soon...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Max Q

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:05 pm

What a lot of nonsense, if those Australian security personnel were even half as obnoxious as 'w's moronic TSA he had every right to be annoyed.

Some American's love to give the Royals a hard time , claiming 'elitism'
and such, the ones that don't (and probably have a couple of brain cells to rub together) know about all the great charity work they constantly undertake to help the poor, disadvantaged and needy all over the UK.

Of course you don't have a royal family do you, unless 'w' and his budget busting, warfaring (based on a lie) environment destroying, corrupt REAL ELITIST cronies in the pocket of the oil companies and others such as Haliburton count...

Perhaps a little jealousy may be showing, certainly, a lack of education.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

aerorobnz

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:14 pm

It's quite easy, next time John Howard lands on English soil give him a full body cavity search....
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Trolley Dolley

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:26 pm

Firstly, well said TG992!

Unfortunately "hiring a plane" is not always possible for visits like this. The tab is often picked up by the host government, in this case New Zealand, and the cost of hiring a plane to fly from NZ to the UK is astronomical. Goodness, the NZ government made HM The Queen fly to New Zealand on a commercial flight (her first ever) when she came out to NZ for the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Auckland to save costs.

From my feedback on the Helen Clark incident (Wellington is a small town and my contacts spoke to her directly on the matter) the issue is more that the security screeners seem to have no advance warning of heads of state coming through when in transit than the actual act of being screened. People at this level expect accurate briefings on to what they will need to do, and when, as they work in a world where things are often timed to the second.

Remember that in the immediate fall out of the Ansett bankruptcy, my fellow Australians were quite happy to let Helen Clark sit as a virtual hostage as former AN workers would let her Air NZ plane depart. They're evidently happy to wand her as security risk, but they were very slow to react when her own security was in danger.

Mr AirNZ

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:32 pm

What concerns me more is what Australian security lets through! I was speaking to a gentleman who got a large hacksaw through security and onto the plane in his hand luggage (he thought he packed it in his checked luggage). He couldn't believe it wasn't picked up! And as for Australian customs well, the stories I have been told by NZ customs are mind blowing.

Stealthz

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:55 pm

Quoting Trolley Dolley (Reply 20):
From my feedback on the Helen Clark incident (Wellington is a small town and my contacts spoke to her directly on the matter) the issue is more that the security screeners seem to have no advance warning of heads of state coming through when in transit than the actual act of being screened.

It is also an issue that some "VIPs" travel with small parties and don't always keep their hosts current on their plans.
It is also known that some heads of government will impose their requirements on their staff and then let them take the rap for the driving offences!!
How did this thread about the disdain shown by a "VIP" for the laws of his host country become a standard Kiwi Aussie bashing thread?

Chris

Pomnath

Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:56 pm

History is full of examples of royalty taking up arms and popping off near and dear ones as well as absolute unknown peaceful byestanders. Happens all over the world even now, and I would like to think that royalty from anywhere needs to be:-

a) Well off enough to travel on their own airplanes.

or

b) Submit to what the rest of us go through peacefully.

Most British royalty have had exposure to armed forces training and therefore, if they are young males, right in the middle of being profiled.
Sea to Sky, Racists should Die!!

Trolley Dolley

Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:02 pm

Chris if you'd read my posts better you'll see that I'm Australian! I am be critical of my own, I'm not dragging it into a Tasman slanging match.

777ER
Crew

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:02 pm

Remember that in the immediate fall out of the Ansett bankruptcy, my fellow Australians were quite happy to let Helen Clark sit as a virtual hostage as former AN workers would let her Air NZ plane depart.

You could say the AN employees were keeping Ms Clark safe then that day.

Even thou the prince arrived in a convoy with police, and were about to board the aircraft throu the staff entry (up the stairs from the tarmac and on board the aircraft) you would expect the customs/security staff to work out what was happening and not insist on him/her having a search
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

Pomnath

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:18 pm

777ER says:- ""Even though the prince arrived in a convoy with police, and were about to board the aircraft throu the staff entry (up the stairs from the tarmac and on board the aircraft) you would expect the customs/security staff to work out what was happening and not insist on him/her having a search""

Can ANYBODY provide this board with a logical reason why the gentleman should not have been searched, keeping in mind that:-

a) He or his immediate family has military training.
b) He or his immediate family was recently involved in wearing Nazi uniforms.
c) He or his immediate family have a record of possible drug usage.

The list goes on.

dhefty

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:21 pm

But he's the people's choice. Er, I mean People Magazine. Sorry.

Ilovenz

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:24 pm

Let us pray that we are soon done with that disgusting monarchy. Your empire fell for a reason, your Crown Prince looks like a monkey for a reason. Sorry, I love the UK, I love the British, but they gotta make those palaces museums and ONLY museums.

Now to keep this aviation-related: TSA in this country are entirely ineffective. I think it's good to keep the rich and powerful in touch with reality by giving them the full monty. Come on, would you want Robert Durst on your flight? I bet not...

Seriously Brits, no hard feelings, just can't stand seeing the monarchy still in existence...

Pomnath

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:27 pm

Well, fair enough, he may be the People and/or People Magazine's choice, but can anybody even begin to start guessing how many wars, battles, attacks, and other violent acts his ancestors perpetuated? Also, there is a track record ofsimply giving away islands to other countries that runs in the family.

I think that is enough reason for a pre-boarding security check, especially in the Southern latitudes. Next thing you know, Australia and New Zealand will end up becoming like the "British Indian Ocean Territories", and we all know what happened to the people who live there.

And, to top it all, he even has pilot training!!

[Edited 2005-10-04 09:31:21]

cragley

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:34 pm

Clearly nobody even knew who he was til the manager arrived.

I think that says enough really  Smile

Royal who?

EGFF

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:38 pm

Alot of interesting posts here, but as a british national my first thought as i read the thread starter was 'why should he get treated differently to everyone else on that flight?' Ok, he's royalty, so what, he should still comply with the rules and regulations of flying especially in another country.

Shaun
All together or not at all

Toulouse

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:54 pm

Quoting Schipholjfk (Reply 5):
What ????????????????????? His position in life? It's time to realize Royalty is the thing of the past! Other than being born into a B.S. royalty situation exactly what has he done to earn to deserve this respect? Give me a break... millions of everyday people more in life than royal families using other people's money! It still amazes me in 2005 people still belive in Kings and Queens.

Come on! Why is it time to realise Royalty is "a" thing if the past??
Now, if President Bush was stopped for personal screening at CDG I imagine you might not be so pleased??
Long live Aer Lingus!

Pomnath

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:02 pm

Toulouse, President Bush would not travel on a commercial flight.

And you should see the kind of security checks those who travel withhim have to go through, I can only guess.

Those who still sing and dance and die for royalty need to read up a bit about how royalty behave recently in countries like, say, Nepal and Saudi Arabia . . . and both thes countries have British connections to-date going back a long way.

The subject here is aviation, and on that head, what does royalty have to do with it? Prince and Princess are a dime a dozen, so even within royalty there needs to be some regulations applicable to all or none, right?

fraT

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:17 pm

Quoting Pomnath (Reply 26):
Can ANYBODY provide this board with a logical reason why the gentleman should not have been searched, keeping in mind that:-

That is the biggest BS I've read on this board in a while.
Although I agree that he should have been searched like a normal passenger if he is on a commercial flight, the reasons you are giving is just utter nonsense. Grow up, man!

Pomnath

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:23 pm

Frat, why is it BS? I mean, is it a play on the term BS (British International Helicopters) since Prince Andrew did convert on to Sea-King helicopters (Westland)?

You grow up, Frat. New world out there, full of new zeal and energy.

Doona

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:25 pm

Getting pissed off and insulted by security checks is to me insulting. It's not that some people are above suspicion, as I suppose many people actually are. But the fact is that EVERYONE gets checked. That's just the principle. Letting people through without getting checked, no matter who they are, lowers my confidence in the security procedures. Sure, the Pope wouldn't bring a bomb aboard and airplane (or anywhere else for that matter), but I still would feel more comfortable knowing that he's been thorugh security just as everyone else.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

iwok

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:28 pm

Its not really about Kings & Queens but about very VIP travel. Weather or not your like/respect him or not, he is entitled to a little smoother flow. Imagine if W or Cheney had to get screened anytime they got on a plane.

the issue is more that the security screeners seem to have no advance warning of heads of state coming through when in transit than the actual act of being screened. People at this level expect accurate briefings on to what they will need to do, and when, as they work in a world where things are often timed to the second.

Good point there TD. It would probably behoove His Royal Highness Prince Andrew etc. to hire appropriate protocol directors and etiquette enforcers to ensure that such ugly and distasteful contact with commoners is not repeated again.

I suggest non other than His Royal Highness King of Rythem And Blues Puff Daddy to advice His Royal Highness Prince Andrew etc. on how to avoid any further unsightly malfucations with the peasantry.  bigthumbsup 

The way to do it is to get the etiquette and protocol people out in advance to control the masses and prepare the way for Royalty.

-iwok

CPH757

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:32 pm

This has nothing to do with his rights to do what so ever. His apperance are ridiculous. As a royal, shouldn't he just show a good example and be polite to people, and not making a big scene out of a screening, which are of absolutely no harm or inconvienience for him.

I dislike the concept of royalties a lot, however, they can certainly behave in different manners. If this situation has happened with the Danish royal family, it had been upfront in the papers (not just the tabloids) in two seconds...But i never think it will. Here they have recognized that if the will maintain the public support, they have to act less like rulers and more like ambassadors.
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

Toulouse

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:43 pm

Quoting Pomnath (Reply 33):
Toulouse, President Bush would not travel on a commercial flight.

Not my point... read a bit deeper into my words my friend.

Quoting Pomnath (Reply 33):
Those who still sing and dance and die for royalty need to read up a bit about how royalty behave recently in countries like, say, Nepal and Saudi Arabia . . . and both thes countries have British connections to-date going back a long way.

Ok Pomnath... And maybe you should ready up European Royalty (while I agree al Royalty may not be the best, as power often goes to people's heads). Europe has more than just the British Royal Family (who, with all my respect to our British posters, are the Royal family I feel least respect for in Europe) it is important to note there are other Royal Families in Europe. For example, just look at Spain... where would spain be today without King Juan Carlos... read your history on Spain post General Franco's death (Spain's dictator) and you will see the incredibly important rôle Spain"s King played in ensuring Spain's transition to democracy. He has my utmost respect.

And with regard to your comment on "British connections"... no need to mention that to an Irishman!!  wink 

Quoting Iwok (Reply 37):
Its not really about Kings & Queens but about very VIP travel.

Indeed, well said.

Now, just so you know..; I'm not necessarily sticking up for Prince Andrew!
Long live Aer Lingus!

scbriml

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:52 pm

Quoting Iwok (Reply 37):
Imagine if W or Cheney had to get screened anytime they got on a plane.

Exactly! As a representative of the United Kingdom on official business, he should have been accorded the usual VIP protocols.

Those who have disagreed here most strongly are likely the same ones that would make the most fuss if their King/Queen/President/Senior Official had not received the expected VIP treatment.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

jush

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:54 pm

An it still shudders me that you think your american system with one head of the state pres works...
Go home mate and let the british have their monarchie. It's a nice representation nowadays and always good for some cheap gossip. Nothing more or less.

Regards
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

fraT

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:57 pm

[

Pomnath,

what does the stupidity of his nephew or another family member has to do with this issue in Australia?
I stand by my point that these two arguments are childish.

ZSOFN

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:07 pm

Quoting FraT (Reply 42):
Pomnath,

what does the stupidity of his nephew or another family member has to do with this issue in Australia?
I stand by my point that these two arguments are childish.

FraT, I completely agree with you! Those comments were ridiculous. I'm surprised people actually take media spin seriously, even here. How does a young person going to a fancy dress party dressed in a uniform that unintentionally offended people constitute a security threat for his uncle travelling on the other side of the world? And further to that, rumours of drug use? So what?

777ER
Crew

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:25 pm

How has the mistakes of his family got to do with him?

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 32):

Well for starters the secret service would refuse to allow the CDG security any where near him, and a big uproar would happen because of how the most imprtant person in the world was 'treated'.
Head Forum Moderator

Pomnath

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:26 pm

I am amazed that there are people even in this day and age who can not see the connection between the hard facts of aviation security and the risks that emerge by giving exemptions to people who would otherwise be profiled as requiring special care.

How is wearing a Nazi uniform unintentional, did it fall on the Poor Prince from a tree while he was walking below it?

And what would happen to the extended family of a person if any of us went for a walk in London to, say, the Changing of the Guard wearing a Nazi uniform? Especially if the people in that family had Armed Forces training and knew about flying aircraft.

I would think that the profile of such a person and close family members would be on airport security databases for a very long time. And that any country would have a right to ensure the safety of its true sovereigns, which in constitutions of countries that are democratic in nature, are the citizens.

Regardless of whether some "Royal" from some other country was visiting, officially or otherwise. The days of the natives or aborigines walking backwards and taking bad behaviour from such represtentatives of Royalty are well behind us.

And it has everything to do with flying in Australia. If nothing else, it gets a well-deserved message across far better than a tight slap.

777ER
Crew

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:53 pm

Quoting Pomnath (Reply 45):
Especially if the people in that family had Armed Forces training and knew about flying aircraft.

So you believe that a royal family member who has pilot training would be considered a terrirost?
Head Forum Moderator

Pomnath

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:10 pm

Nothing so much to do with a person being Royal, after all, royal or not, they still adhere to the laws of the land in England, don't they?

Likewise, nothing to do with flying training implying that person being a terrorist.

But put the lot together, which means a disrespect for the law as well as military training, and yes, I think it would warrant an extra precaution or two. At the very least, a normal search.

Once again, please view this from the point of view of aviation security and the vast range of royalty available all over the world. Today royalty will expect exemption. Tomorrow rock stars will.

And just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to buy a "Royal" title in England, anyway, and is it exempted from VAT?

Toulouse

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:20 pm

Quoting Pomnath (Reply 47):
Tomorrow rock stars will.

I think they already do!

On a funny note, and something i personnally find scandalous, but Dublin Airport now offers anyone the possibility of buying the status of a VIP. You pay a few euros, and get treated like a king or queen... arrive at airport, brought to a special suite where you relax while ground staff handle your check-in for you, separate security screening (away for DUB's chaotic security screening for the common public not willing to pay for VIP status), the brough to your plane (commercial flight) in a limo...
Long live Aer Lingus!

BCAL

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:39 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 17):
If Prince Andy Pandy doesn't want to get screened, he should have hired a private jet... He's not a head of state of anywhere...

Please do not persuade Prince Andrew to spend any more on hiring private jets. He recently narrowly escaped criticism after it was revealed that he had spent £325,000 of public money in a year hiring aircraft, snubbing trains etc because of "their unreliability". This included
  • £32,000 on flights to St Andrews golf course, while he was club captain there
  • £3,000 chartering a helicopter for a 50-mile trip to a lunch in Oxford in June 2003
  • £3,600 using a RAF jet for a 90-mile journey to a military base in June 2004
I think he created the scene as he was annoyed to be travelling with the commoners. If he wanted special treatment, his assistants should have cleared this before his arrival.

By the way, Prince Andrew is only fourth in line for the throne.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."