iluv747400

Iceland Express To Serve 5 New Cities From May '06

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:24 pm

The website for Iceland Express has a small update saying they will be serving 6 new cities from May 2006. One of these is Frankfurt-Hahn which I believe they already announced. The other five are Stockholm, Gothenburg, Bergen, Berlin, and Friedrichshafen. It does not say which airports in/near Stockholm and Berlin they will be using.

There is also no other information whatsoever about frequency or schedules. I imagine more info will be posted when these have been settled. Some additional aircraft will be needed to facilitate this expansion.

It's nice to see Iceland Express opening up some new routes to Reykjavik and also challenging Icelandair on some others.

Does anyone know if their 737s could reach the U.S. and Canada? Say Halifax, Boston, Montreal, or New York? Or do they only have MD-82s now?

HBIHLtoEZE

RE: Iceland Express To Serve 5 New Cities From May '06

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:44 pm

Friedrichshafen?

Now that is interesting.

While it was rumoured for a while that FR might open a route to Ireland...it is now much cooler (no pun intended) to have an airline flying to Iceland.

FDH is more or less convenient from northern Switzerland (Swiss pax accumulate 14 % of the pax there) and there might even be something like a demand.

Cheers
Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.

iluv747400

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:01 am

I was a bit puzzled by Friedrichshafen too. I would think perhaps Oslo-Torp would have been high on their list.

prebennorholm

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:12 am

Keep in mind that the owners of Iceland Express have just bought both Sterling European Airways and Maersk Air's pax service. They now operate roughly 30 quite new 73G and 738 planes.

I'm almost sure that the contract with JetX about operating the two MD-80s will be ended as soon as possible.

As far as I am informed they will use the name "Sterling" for the future service, which in near terms will be a lot of continuing Scandinavian charter service.

Maybe already in 2006 we will see Iceland Express, Sterling and Maersk united into one company operating its own quite substantial 737NG fleet.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs