apodino

Jeppesen And The Airlines

Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:18 am

One thing that amazes me about the airline industry. Jeppesen has been making the charts used by the airlines for many, many, many years yet its a company that very few people, especially airline passengers, have heard of. Yet the company has been responsible for providing accurate navigational information to the airlines for many years, that I think they deserve some credit. DEN gave them that somewhat by naming the terminal there after the founder, Elrey Jeppesen. Is anyone with agreement on this?

That having been said, their products are not cheap, and do incur a cost to all the airlines. The NOS publishes similar charts at a cheaper rate. Do you think any airline might swith to NOS charts to save money given the financial state they are all in? It doesn't seem likely to me, but its a question I thought was worth asking.

av757

RE: Jeppesen And The Airlines

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:05 am

At Avianca we use Jeppesen which provides all of our route manuals, charts and navigation data bases for our fleet of aircraft.

We also use our flight planning, dispatch, weather, notams and all related matters related to our flight operations through Jetplan by Jeppesen.

Their service department has been wonderful, very helpfull in desinging, developing and tailoring their services for our operation through all these years that we have used their valuable products.

Regards:
AV757

saab2000

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:55 am

Jeppesen is the world standard. At SWISS we had a system of different charts. In some ways they were better, but in other ways they were inferior. I don't know why we had a different system, but that was the way it was.

I would be surprised if anyone in the airline business ever switched over to the US government charts. But if I flew privately I would almost certainly use them as they are affordable.

My airline now, Air Wisconsin, uses Jepps.
smrtrthnu

corey07850

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:07 am

Why should passengers care who made the approach plates? Passengers don't even know what approach plates are....

I don't care who made the pad the doctor writes prescriptions on so long as I can get the anti-biotics... same principle

CosmicCruiser

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:21 am

FEDEX is in the process of switching from Jepp to LIDO and soon will be using the EFB by LIDO. The study guide arrived today. Sorry Jepp.

BDKLEZ

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:22 am

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 4):
FEDEX is in the process of switching from Jepp to LIDO

KLM also use LIDO.
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

apodino

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:53 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 3):
Why should passengers care who made the approach plates? Passengers don't even know what approach plates are....

True but they do keep passengers alive, and they should care about that. Jeppesen himself said he didn't start making the charts for profit, he did it to stay alive.

Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 2):
My airline now, Air Wisconsin, uses Jepps.

I know. You forget I work as a dispatcher for Air Wisky.

JeffSFO

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:32 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 6):
Jeppesen himself said he didn't start making the charts for profit, he did it to stay alive.

My father, who was a TWA captain, told me that Jeppesen was a pilot for UA who made his own charts to aid him in navigation to various airports, etc. They were so useful that he made a business out of it.

Interestingly enough, my father created his own customized cheat sheets similar to the charts available through Jeppesen and they were a big hit with the people he flew with.  Smile