Australian Airline Saturation

Sat May 13, 2000 1:44 pm

With the introduction of Virgin airlines into Australia, and Impulse starting domestic services. One can only wonder will our skies be saturated with low-cost domestic carriers, and what will happen to QANTAS and Ansett.

Will Australian skies follow in the footsteps of the USA (no offence)?

Skyfox

qantas747

RE: Australian Airline Saturation

Sat May 13, 2000 2:19 pm

Hey, Skyfox,
My thoughts on this is that because Ansett and QANTAS have so much money they can drop their fares easily to be equal with Impulse which will take Impulse out. Only because of this, Which Airline would you travel on, An airline that has the experience and feeds you on flight or a low-cost airline that hardly gives you anything(so I've Heard). As for virgin, thats a question to be asked, Virgin May go so low that QF and AN won't be able to compete so that's my theory.
qantas 

desertjets

RE: Australian Airline Saturation

Sat May 13, 2000 3:19 pm

Since I am not familiar with the level of sevice currently offered by QF or AN I cannot really say what will happen to air service with Impulse and Virgin entering the domestic market. But in the US with as many start-up low cost carriers that have started most have failed. And the majors have offered products, like United Shuttle, Metrojet, and Delta Express to compete with the Southwests and Airtrans. But majors in Australia and the US alike still have the advantage of having more flights, better connections, etc... If I want to go from Los Angeles to Baltimore on Southwest I might end up having to make 2-3 stops enroute whereas I can go non-stop on UA or US. Or there are just certain places I can't go. But it will be interesting to see if Impulse or Virgin can make a profit.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos