Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Western Airlines in CSI episode

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:48 pm

On tonight's episode of "CSI", one of the victims worked for Western Airlines. Too bad they did not have shots of the planes ...
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

searpqx

Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:44 pm

Damn - got my hopes up! Not that I'd expect them to be like the original, but seeing that Big Red W again sure would be sweet
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

MEA-707

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:17 pm

come on... the juridical departments of the actual airlines in the US all have a chip on their shoulder, claim happy about suffering damages because of 'negative associations,' and probably to avoid problems they 'made up' an airline name, maybe not even aware there was an actual Western Airlines til 18 years ago.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

wedgetail737

Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:46 pm

Delta will need to give up the Western Airlines trademark before anybody can use the name. We can only dream that Delta will sell the name.

N328KF

Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:53 pm

It makes me wonder if DL would have been better off reusing the name "Western Airlines" instead of "Song."
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

brokenrecord

Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:27 pm

I'll always enjoy watching the beginning of "Commando" where Arnold kills the dude on the Western widebody (actually the whole scene in the airport is pretty fascinating).

"Please don't disturb my friend, he's dead tired." Classic.

Lono

RE: Western Airlines In CSI Episode

Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:06 am

Quoting Brokenrecord (Reply 5):
I'll always enjoy watching the beginning of "Commando" where Arnold kills the dude on the Western widebody (actually the whole scene in the airport is pretty fascinating

Yes indeed....especially when he crawled up the nose gear to get inside.... classic!!!
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

AwysBSB

Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:39 am

It makes me wonder if DL would have been better off reusing the name "Western Airlines" instead of "Song."

The focus region of Song is still being the east coast. If Delta acquired the Alaska Airlines’ operations of the west coast, maybe the name “Western Airlines” would be reused.
Another airline name Delta should revive is “Eastern Airlines”, this one would substitute “Delta Shuttle”.

WA727

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:21 am

My user name is the first plane I flew on. PHX-MSP on a 727-200 in 1972. The only way to fly.

I'll always enjoy watching the beginning of "Commando" where Arnold kills the dude on the Western widebody (actually the whole scene in the airport is pretty fascinating).

Ah, yes the old D10 "Spaceships" as they were called.

WA727
Don't just stand there, go get some glue!

srbmod

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:47 am

Quoting Bluewave 707 (Thread starter):
Too bad they did not have shots of the planes ...

They could have always used a shot of one of the Janet a/c.........

aa757first

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting AwysBSB (Reply 7):

Another airline name Delta should revive is �Eastern Airlines�, this one would substitute �Delta Shuttle�.

So according to your plan, Delta would be operating as: Western Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Eastern Airlines and Song, none of which are in anyway related? Not a good idea from a marketing standpoint. At least now they only have two different brand names: Delta (Air Lines, Connection, Shuttle) and Song.

AAndrew

AwysBSB

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 10):
So according to your plan, Delta would be operating as: Western Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Eastern Airlines and Song, none of which are in anyway related? Not a good idea from a marketing standpoint. At least now they only have two different brand names: Delta (Air Lines, Connection, Shuttle) and Song.

What I idealize for Delta Group is not a good idea from a MONOPOLIST marketing standpoint.
In other countries where the oligopoly is being more criticized in air transportation, their main holdings are composed by several different brand names.
The countries I am referring are Australia, Canada and Netherlands, for Qantas operates Jetstar and Australian, Air Canada operates Jazz and Tango and KLM operates Transavia and Martinair.
As the air market of the USA is allowing great mergers, because it is being agreed with the oligopoly, a group like Delta has no need to hold different brands yet.

WesternA318

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:01 pm

Yanno...awhile back there was a few groups thinking about restarting the old WA...but, nothing yet. Although I wouldn't mind seeing an A318 in the Indian head logo myself...  slaphappy  The last time I remember seeing a Western plane before the merger with DL was in 1986, a sweet looking 727-200 still in the White and red. Last time I flew on one of WA's planes though...in April on N3301, from IAH to SLC. That will also be the last time I ever fly DL anyways, lol.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

CruzinAltitude

Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:34 am

Complete side note, I have a great bit of Western airlines Memorabilia in my home.

I have a pair of Western Airlines DC - 10 business or first class (I was told they were first but I have not seen any interior shots to prove it) seats.

They are a pinkish red, with a purple/blue pattern in it. They have the pull out food trays from the arm rest. They sure as hell do not recline that much! I'm pretty sure that the aircraft was taken out of Westerns fleet in 83 because there was a copy of their in flight magazine in the seat back (as well as an emergency card and the vomit bag). You want to talk about throw back, you should see some of the computer adds in that magazine!!!

PHLBOS

Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:54 am

Quoting AwysBSB (Reply 7):
Another airline name Delta should revive is “Eastern Airlines”, this one would substitute “Delta Shuttle”.

Delta owns the Eastern Airlines name???? Are you sure you're not confusing Eastern with Northeast Airlines (aka The Yellowbird)... which Delta bought in 1972?

[Edited 2005-10-10 18:55:17]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

brokenrecord

Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting CruzinAltitude (Reply 13):
I have a pair of Western Airlines DC - 10 business or first class (I was told they were first but I have not seen any interior shots to prove it) seats.

They are a pinkish red, with a purple/blue pattern in it. They have the pull out food trays from the arm rest. They sure as hell do not recline that much! I'm pretty sure that the aircraft was taken out of Westerns fleet in 83 because there was a copy of their in flight magazine in the seat back (as well as an emergency card and the vomit bag). You want to talk about throw back, you should see some of the computer adds in that magazine!!!

Holy $hitballs! That's dope.

AwysBSB

Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:10 am

Quoting Brokenrecord (Reply 15):
Delta owns the Eastern Airlines name???? Are you sure you're not confusing Eastern with Northeast Airlines (aka The Yellowbird)... which Delta bought in 1972?

No, I am not confusing anything. I know Delta doesn`t own the name “Eastern Airlines”, I suppose the owner is Continental.
Anyway, Delta can acquire that name to use it in place of “Delta Shuttle”.

DCrawley

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:01 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 1):
seeing that Big Red W again sure would be sweet

How we can all dream of the day..

Quoting N328KF (Reply 4):

No way man, that would be a disgrace to the Western Airlines name! May the Wally Bird live forever in the style and class he represented!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jim Lawrence
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mel Lawrence

"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:46 am

There was a logo on a piece of evidence, but it was neither logo type of the old WA. If anyone recorded on DVR, they might be able to screen it frame-by-frame to catch the logo. It was in the last 15 minutes of the episode.
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

vegasplanes

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:04 am

Quoting Lono (Reply 6):
I'll always enjoy watching the beginning of "Commando" where Arnold kills the dude on the Western widebody (actually the whole scene in the airport is pretty fascinating

Yes indeed....especially when he crawled up the nose gear to get inside.... classic!!!

Nice scene in a great flix, I have not seen it for a while, but I always thought it was a TW L1011, I'll have to break out the old VHS and play closer attention.

Lono

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:34 am

Quoting Brokenrecord (Reply 15):
Holy $hitballs! That's dope.

LMAO!!!!!!

These would look great in my Western Airlines Lounge!!! The F/C seats not the Holy $hitballs!!!
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos