folov

Air Tahiti Nui Next Route? PPT-?

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:42 pm

I really hope that they will open PPT-HKG , but that s me?
What do you think it should be and why?

[Edited 2005-10-07 12:43:05]

CHRISBA777ER

RE: Air Tahiti Nui Next Route? PPT-?

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:03 am

I'm amazed they dont werve HKG already.

NRT or TPE maybe?
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

pilottim747

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:14 am

I think TN is going to take a little time off from expansion. Let their current routes grow (especially JFK-PPT).

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 1):

NRT or TPE maybe?

NRT is currently being served, as is KIX.

pilotitm747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

andahuailas

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:58 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they drop JFK before they add any new service. MEX would be a good choice, offering a very fast connection from MEX to SYD or AKL. LIM could also be interestig: AF served LIM-PPT back in the late 70s early 80s, as an intermediate stop to Tokyo.

TWA902fly

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting Andahuailas (Reply 3):
AF served LIM-PPT back in the late 70s early 80s, as an intermediate stop to Tokyo.

you've got me super confused... to LIM-PPT-NRT or what? CDG-LIM-PPT-NRT, thats a hell of a routing, or was it NRT-CDG-LIM-PPT ? or when you wrote tokyo you mean papeete?

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

willyj

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:37 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they drop JFK before they add any new service. MEX would be a good choice, offering a very fast connection from MEX to SYD or AKL. LIM could also be interestig: AF served LIM-PPT back in the late 70s early 80s, as an intermediate stop to Tokyo.

Maybe they would be interesting, but would they be financially viable? Is there really that much traffic between Australia and Mexico or Peru? None of the south American carriers seem to be doing extremely well on their flights to Oz, suggesting that there's not a lot of need for more service from that part of the world. Also, Mexico is tropical, so you wouldn't have many passengers traveling to Tahiti for the weather.

tjwgrr

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:52 am

YVR, SFO, and perhaps LGW via JFK.....

MEX? I don't think so.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

willyj

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:55 am

LGW via JFK? Woud they be able to secure the rights for this route? If so, why LGW and not LHR? Couldn't they begin with codesharing on AA's JFK-LHR flights for the time being?

B742

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:59 am

I Would hope for TN to add extra European routes, maybe to LON or FRA?

I think HKG would be a good option for TN!

Are TN gettin any more aircraft?

Will TN ever get smaller a/c such as A320's?

Rob!  Smile

MKEdude

Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:37 am

I don't see MEX happening. Increasing services to LAX and adding SFO would make them a player in the US-OZ/NZ market. Flying on to LHR/LGW from JFK, or codesharing would also be sound thinking. Speaking of codesharing, what are their chances of joining an alliance?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

PlaneGuy27

Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:41 am

THey already code with Delta, Not American - they aren't in an alliance yet.

willyj

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:56 am

I'm pretty sure they code with AA. I know they are affiliated with the AAdvantage program. My sister flew them roundtrip last spring in business PPT-LAX using her AA miles.

65captin

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:14 am

Why not Vancouver Canada.
"Dont you ever say an unkind word about Morris Day and Jerome!"

MAH4546

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:28 am

Quoting Willyj (Reply 5):
None of the south American carriers seem to be doing extremely well on their flights to Oz, suggesting that there's not a lot of need for more service from that part of the world.

Both LAN and Aerolineas Argentinas see very healthy profits on their Australia/New Zealand services.
a.

fewsolarge

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:29 am

Actually, the codeshare deal with Delta vanished silently. Neither airline mentions the other on its website. Anyone know what happened?

aerorobnz

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 13):
Both LAN and Aerolineas Argentinas see very healthy profits on their Australia/New Zealand services.

Absolutely - the fact is they are probably some of the most profitable routes in or out of NZ... The keyword here is cargo....
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

USADreamliner

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:37 am

None of the south American carriers seem to be doing extremely well on their flights to Oz, suggesting that there's not a lot of need for more service from that part of the world. Also, Mexico is tropical, so you wouldn't have many passengers traveling to Tahiti for the weather.

Are you sure? Or you are just talking without facts??
I don't know LAN, but for AR the transpolar flight is one of the more profitables for the company.In fact they fly now 4 times a week.
And Aerolineas have being flying for many years, I think 20 to New Zealand.

USADreamliner

Avianca

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 8):
I Would hope for TN to add extra European routes, maybe to LON or FRA?

it would be great to see them in FRA, but I doubt it... I think aside CDG there is no potential route for them in Europe.

regards
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

BigGSFO

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:26 am

Tahiti is not that big of a market outside of a few select cities. I would imagine SFO, YVR and maybe ORD or YYZ/YUL could be next.

Mexico? South America? With today's price of fuel? Unlikely.

Avianca

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:30 am

wouldn't be surprised if they drop JFK before they add any new service. MEX would be a good choice, offering a very fast connection from MEX to SYD or AKL. LIM could also be interestig

with MEX and LIM they would have even lower load-factors that they have currently in JFK.

ScandinA340

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:45 am

Why limit expansion plans to this? Imagine TN as an EK of the South Pacific. It's got the strategic location to offer better one stop connection between Oz/NZ and USA/Canada, South America and Asia. Unfortunately, the government of French Polynesia has neither the deep pockets nor cheap oil access (nor inclination) to do for TN what the UAE does for EK...

ScandinA340

BigGSFO

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting ScandinA340 (Reply 20):
Why limit expansion plans to this? Imagine TN as an EK of the South Pacific

Interesting idea however PPT airport is a runway and small thatched roof terminal, or at least it was when I landed there 10 years ago. Hardly a facility designed for transit passengers unless you are island hopping to Bora Bora or Moorea.

In addition the population of Tahiti and the O&D isn't there. Unless I am mistaken, Tahiti is predominantly the tourist/honeymoon crowd from the USA, Oz/NZ and France. Some of our European A.netters can help me out, but if Germans and and the British went on holiday in Tahiti en masse, there would be LH and BA there already. Or Ryan Air flying from Stansted to Fiji calling NAN "Tahiti's close-in airport."

Could TN be the next EK? Not likely. But you are right about location: PPT is ideally situated to connect the South Pacific with points east even though the next land mass east of PPT is a quick 9 hours away. But the traffic and airport can't sustain a major operation.

Am I wrong?

centrair

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:30 am

Right now the South American population in Japan has limited options. Many of them are taking flights via Europe totally 30 hours+ of travel. Somtimes they trave via HKG, SIN, KUL and BKK then connect through Europe. The U.S. requires many of them to get transit visas, which they don't have the time or desire to get. Up to now Flying via the states has been very efficient but now it is just not desired. PPT is one of the few carriers currently serving Japan that could link these two tightly knit regions.

Wouldn't this be a shorter route thatn via Europe or the States? To me it seems that TN focuses on just bringing people to Tahiti. Maybe they should think about through routing with options for stop overs. Japanese and Chinese business people doing trade with South American countries would have a nice way to get there.

They have codeshares with AA, NW, and AF I believe.
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

tranceport

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:38 am

Look for them to start PPT-YVR-CDG service.

USA1984

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:10 am

they will not be starting any routes for a few years to come. the first priority is to stabalize the jfk and syd routes, then to add frequency. it will probably be 3 years before this gets done.

as for TN becoming an EK of the south pacific, it would be nice. currently the airport at PPT probably could not support something like that but the government is examining options of either rebuilding the airport at its current location or finding another location on the island to build a new international airport.

when TN does add a new route it will most likely be Milan. looking at the current amount of visitors to tahiti, Italy sends more tourists to the islands of all the countries that TN does not currently serve. wouldn't it make sense to eventually fly to Milan if this is the case?

addi375

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:19 am

Was just about to add, that all the times I have been to PPT there have been more Italians than anything...also on the AF flight, a lot of connex from MXP/FCO/VCE etc
Walmart prices with Bloomies service...........

6thfreedom

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:47 am

None of the south American carriers seem to be doing extremely well on their flights to Oz, suggesting that there's not a lot of need for more service from that part of the world.

Over the last couple of years AR has increases SYD services from 2 to 4pw, and LAN has increased from 4 to 5, and is looking at adding a 6th late 2006.

AR has also recently introduced a thru flight, commencing/terminating in GRU.

Suggest you check your facts before making broad statements...

folov

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:04 pm

Thank you for your feedback. Really interesting routes.
I think Asia will be a a great place, Prob HKG. with the opening of China. Lot of people there are people now having the capabilty to travel more often and have a financial means. Plus Dysneyland (;
IF Tn keep on Expandind with the 2 340 order option. They will have to rethink the airport. But only time will tell.

planemanofnz

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:16 pm

SFO, SIN, NOU ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

tundra767

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:07 pm

Yes I agree on the YVR route would be a good choice as no transit visas required. Perhaps HNL?

folov

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:16 pm

HNL, HA is serving it with one weekly flight. YVR was one of the choice at the beggining. PPT>YVR>CDG if i remember.

toptravel

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:26 pm

NIce Airline doing a great job. Flew their new SYD/PPT in August, good loads both ways. I feel they will hold onto what they have invested in so far and build up the loads on JFK/PPT/SYD. Quite amazing on Friday nights in PPT seeing four of the A340's on the ground at the same time. Contary to talk they are picking up on the JFK-SYD route. The fares beat the pants off the big boys. BTW they code share with QF ex SYD/PPT.

pawsleykat

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:45 pm

I think PPT-LAX-CDG-LHR-CDG-LAX-PPT. It kinda works out because LHR gets served by most airlines worldwide (BA, VS, Gulf Air, EK, Virgin Nigeria, to name a few) and I thought why not serve LHR. I would certainly go LHR-PPT, I just can't be bothered paying for my flight into CDG and then my flight to PPT.  Smile
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

aerorobnz

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:58 pm

Quoting Toptravel (Reply 31):
Contary to talk they are picking up on the JFK-SYD route. The fares beat the pants off the big boys. BTW they code share with QF ex SYD/PPT.

It also connects with our AKL flights, which are also QF codeshared.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Pe@rson

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:02 pm

I read, quite sometime ago, that two potential European countries, after France, are both the UK and Italy. Perhaps we might therefore see London and Milan or Rome or both. This was from TN's CEO.

I also suspect an additional Asian city will be served.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

TWPHIL

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:37 pm

I think that before expending TN should consolidate on its current routes and think exactly how to turn them profitable.I v read that the JFK / PPT / JFK was such a bleeding segment , load factor under 40% in coach and business "seemed" full with courtesy upgrades.

[Edited 2005-10-08 13:39:32]

DYK

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:40 pm

TN SHould have gone with YVR ISO of NYC, the route would be performing better?
AC,CP,PW,WD,ND,UA,AA,NW,CO,DL,WA,AS,QX,PR,SQ,AI,TG,MH,JL,9W,IC,UL,PG,BW,NZ,QF,DJ,BA,LH,KL,OA,OS,ME,RJ,HA,AQ

USA1984

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:54 am

Quoting DYK (Reply 36):
TN SHould have gone with YVR ISO of NYC, the route would be performing better?

I don't know about that. Don't you think NYC has a bigger catchment than YVR...more potential traffic?...especially from Europe.

DYK

Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting USA1984 (Reply 37):
don't know about that. Don't you think NYC has a bigger catchment than YVR...more potential traffic?...especially from Europe.

Totally agree USA1984, but the route does not seem to be doing very well. I think Tahiti would be an expensive leisure destination from NYC and many hours travelling when you have Florida and the caribbean relativly short distance away. TN is looking to pick up traffic going to AUstralia and New Zealand then they are competing against QF,NZ and UA. From YVR we dont have such a varied selection to sun destinations and there is need for more capacity to NZ and Australia, and if TN was able to negotiate 5th freedom rights to CDG I can almost guarantee the loads would be much higher than 40% full.
Sorry if my English is not very good
AC,CP,PW,WD,ND,UA,AA,NW,CO,DL,WA,AS,QX,PR,SQ,AI,TG,MH,JL,9W,IC,UL,PG,BW,NZ,QF,DJ,BA,LH,KL,OA,OS,ME,RJ,HA,AQ

9252fly

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:04 am

I'll also throw my guess in for YVR. It makes a lot of sense if they can acquire the 5th freedom rights. No other carrier serves YVR-CDG or YVR-PPT. Combined with the through traffic,this route could do quite well.

KLM685

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:22 am

MEX would be a good choice, offering a very fast connection from MEX to SYD or AKL.

Even it it's not going to happen it'll still be VERY VERY nice to see that  Wink

Alonsou
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

Avianca

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:29 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 34):
are both the UK and Italy.

well Italy seems not so realistic only chance if they received 5th freedom rights for example mxp-lax-ppt... but even that routing would be hard for them to fill up the flights.

regards
Avianca

Kahala777

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:37 am

Vancouver-Papaeete, is widely rumored for mid 2006!

Vancouver-Paris, is rumored for late 2006!

San Francisco-Papaeete, is being discussed, not daily!

Just and FYI, look for TN to connect the dots over the next few years to existing high demand AF gateways to Paris. These will include SFO, MIA, ATL, and ORD. TN, likes the CDG service, the problem is that they are expending to much energy on a market they can codeshare more effectively on such as LAX-CDG. For this reason LAX dropping CDG, and moving it to YVR makes more than enough sense. At current AF, AC offer no nonstop service to Paris from Vancouver.

KAHALA777

USA1984

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:54 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 42):
Vancouver-Papaeete, is widely rumored for mid 2006!

Vancouver-Paris, is rumored for late 2006!

So I just wanted to double check what you are saying....are you saying that TN will drop the CDG-LAX-PPT flights and reroute them through YVR? Or are you saying they will drop the NYC flights? I really don't see them dropping the NYC flights given the investment and the huge potential.

Kahala777

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:18 am

Quoting USA1984 (Reply 43):
So I just wanted to double check what you are saying....are you saying that TN will drop the CDG-LAX-PPT flights and reroute them through YVR?

Paris, has nothing to do with New York, with the exception of the one off AF connecting passenger. New York, is from what is being discussed, performing at or above expectations at this point.

LAX-PPT, is duplicated by AF. TN, can surrender LAX-CDG to an AF codeshare and operate YVR-CDG, as part of PPT-YVR. Dont forget that nor AC, nor AF operate CDG ex YVR.

USA1984

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:09 am

i assume that TN is doing well on the CDG-LAX-PPT route. if this is the case, why change it?

Halophila

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:29 am

How about expanding services to other australian ports? I have absolutely no idea how their PPT - SYD run is doing, but MEL and/or BNE I think would possibly pull a few travellers, particularly if they connect to JFK, LAX or to the proposed YVR flights.
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

Kahala777

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:02 am

Quoting Usa1984 (Reply 45):
i assume that TN is doing well on the CDG-LAX-PPT route.

TN seems to be the airline of choice for a good many airline consolidators. In addition I know for certain they offered very good consolidated fares to OAI when OAI was operating LAX-PPT, PPT-LAX.

KAHALA777

ZK-NBT

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:09 am

Considering their finanicial position I don't think they will do to much in the next 2-3 years either.

I personally think a PPT-SIN service connecting to QF's LHR and FRA services maybe. I think they may drop KIX since it is served via NRT anyway, build up loads on the PPT-NRT sector.

As for other Australian ports, I doubt it when they codeshare with QF, they will feed PAX through SYD on QF domestic.

tbear815

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:51 am

Just a quick take on this thread. My first trip to Tahiti was in 1972. We took PA from HNL to PPT via American Samoa. From HNL the a/c (707-320B) was fairly empty. At the stop in Samoa, the a/c was full - every seat except those few transit pax - of an Italian tour group. The Italians have had the good sense to visit Tahiti for years!

From what I've read, TN has a great product and reputation. And Tahiti is like nothing else on Earth. Let the East Coasters and others go to the Caribbean. I've been to both and give me Tahiti anyday.

WHEREVER TN decides to fly, I wish them all the best. Marlon Brando was way ahead of his time when he found Tahiti. Of course, there was Gauguin, Michener, and all of the other South Sea pioneers. Of all the times I've been there, I was by air only once with PA. Faaa airport was a "bit" more than a grass shack. But the whole package is terrific. Tahiti, all her islands, and TN service sure sounds great right about now!