OPNLguy
Topic Author

Southwest Increases MSY Service..

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:21 am

Effective 10/17, there will be 4 daily round trips HOU-MSY, up from 2....

New schedule from HOU...

3473 7:45am 8:45am N/S
3258 10:30am 11:30am N/S
3307 1:15pm 2:15pm N/S
3052 4:00pm 5:00pm N/S
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Tom in NO

RE: Southwest Increases MSY Service..

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:41 am

Just got the email myself about an hour ago. Great to see more service coming back. We're all glad to see that WN is a part of that growth.

Local employees here are hoping for DAL, MDW, and LAS before too long, as well.

Currently we're at 24 daily flights among 8 airlines, with more flights being added shortly. We're also reopening concourse C on Sunday, which'll mean all four will be in service, as D was reopened yesterday.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

OPNLguy
Topic Author

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:47 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 1):
Local employees here are hoping for DAL, MDW, and LAS before too long, as well.

If I had to venture a guess, it'd be that you see DAL, BNA, MCO, and maybe TPA come back first.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Tom in NO

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:12 am

BNA'd be a good route to resume service towards the northeast. MCO's a good call, as well. The Florida demand is there (AA resumes MIA shortly). Every little bit helps.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

LoneStarMike

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:17 pm

If the federal government were interested in helping increase air traffic at MSY they could certainly help it along with a repeal of the Wright Amendment.

I was looking at a pre-Katrina schedule the other day (the one that came out in June) and noticed that of the 17 daily HOU-MSY flights WN operated, 10 of them went on to Florida cities (1 to JAX, 4 to TPA and 5 to MCO) In my mind, HOU passengers were at least helping to support the MSY-Florida flights.

OKC's and TUL's service to MCI is also supported in part by HOU passengers. All 7 of WN's MCI flights out of HOU to MCI stop in either OKC or TUL.

I believe JAN's BWI nonstops are supported partly by HOU passengers as those flights run HOU-JAN-BWI. Southwest is often able to bring nonstop service to smaller cities by making the smaller city an intermediate stop on a high-demand bigger city pair.

Most price-consious passengers don't mind a one-stop direct flight if the intermediate stop is only 30 minutes at a smaller uncongested airport. And with only 24 commercial flights per day right now, MSY would seem to be anything but congested.

Post Katrina, through no fault of it's own, MSY has become a weaker city with regards to demand for air travel, like OKC or TUL, or JAN. It no longer has the population it once did and the tourism industry hasn't come back in full force yet. If the Wright Amendment were repealed, I believe that DAL passengers could help support more nonstop service out of MSY to other cities in Florida just like HOU helps other smaller cities in WN's point-to-point network.

(Hope that made sense)

Anyway, it's good to see MSY slowly rebounding and best of luck in a speedy and prosperous recovery.

LoneStarMike

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos