luisde8cd

Santa Barbara DC10 Engine "explodes" In Flight

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:05 am

Just saw in the midday news on TV that yesterdays (Oct 07) Santa Barbara flight CCS-MAD had to return to CCS and perform an emergency landing after losing one of its 3 engines 30min after departure to MAD. I haven't seen any online news yet, anyone has more info?

I think this will mean the end of Santa Barbara's DC10s ops. This is another incident after being grounded a couple of weeks ago because of many in flight emergencies. I hope the best to my favorite Venezuelan airline.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Christian Koester
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ander Aguirre

Avianca

RE: Santa Barbara DC10 Engine "explodes" In Flight

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:20 am

Quoting Luisde8cd (Thread starter):
think this will mean the end of Santa Barbara's DC10s ops

Hi Luis, thanks for the news!

I hope this will be not the end of the complete operations of Santa Barbar!

regards
Andreas
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

legacy135

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:26 am

To bad to read this words ......  Sad

I have to say that this is probably Santa Barbaras fault. They have been watched for their operation now for a while. They should now really have taken better care about the planes. The DC-10 is an old aircraft but a reliable one. If they think by buying 767's or 777's the problem would be solved, they are wrong. Those planes need maintenance as well and will end up in exactly the same shape after a short period only if they will not take care properly about.

There are other operators of the DC-10 in the world with fleets larger than them and not having those problems with the aircraft. Santa Barbara should as a first step not change the fleet, but fire the maintenance manager and his superior, having them replaced with good characters. Only by doing a serious job they can assure the future of the airline.

A388

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:36 am

Legacy135,

I fully agree with you on this. Hopefully Santa Barbara Airlines will be flying its long-haul flights soon again  Smile

A388

luisde8cd

Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:41 am

A lady pax said to the cameras that they head a loud BOOM and then saw the engine on fire through the window. Very very bad pubilicity for the airline. Shame on Santa Barbara for putting pax and crew lives at risk.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

iberiadc852

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:06 am

Hello:
Does anyone what time did it happen?

I ask you because yesterday (Friday 7th), I heard a Santa Barbara DC-10 take off from TFN at about 3 PM Canary Islands time (4 PM clock MAD time) with an almost unbearable noise. When I first heard it I ran to my window because I wondered which plane could be that one; was even noisier than the Cygnus Air DC-8 which comes often here. When I saw it was the SB DC-10 I could hardly believe it because I always remembered the DC-10 noise as quite moderate and with a special sound, but yesterday it reminded me an old 707 one.

I don't know if the flight was departing to MAD or to CCS, but I am almost sure it had arrived from CCS. So do you think it was the same one?

And anyway, those who hear it frequently. Is normally such a noisy plane the SB DC-10?. Thank you.
variety is the spice of life; that's what made the "old times" so good

fly727

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:14 am

Quoting Iberiadc852 (Reply 5):
I don't know if the flight was departing to MAD or to CCS, but I am almost sure it had arrived from CCS. So do you think it was the same one?

There you go:

Just saw in the midday news on TV that yesterdays (Oct 07) Santa Barbara flight CCS-MAD had to return to CCS and perform an emergency landing after losing one of its 3 engines 30min after departure to MAD

RM.
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

Aviation

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:18 am

Bad news I don't know much about this airline but less airlines is not ever a good thing!

Also very sad to see one of my favourites, the DC-10 slowly fading out forever...  Sad

Thanks,
Aaron J Nicoli
Signed, Aaron Nicoli - Trans World Airlines Collector

iberiadc852

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:57 am

Quoting Fly727 (Reply 6):

What I would like to know if the SB DC-10 I saw yesterday October 7th taking off from TFN, could be the same that had an engine explosion flying from MAD to CCS. That is why I remarked that I didn't know if "the flight I saw" was departing to MAD or to CCS. (Obviously, if it had departed to CCS, could not be the same one, as it could not have had time to go back to MAD and to restart a flight to CCS the same day).

I hope now the question is clear.
Thank you

luisde8cd

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:48 pm

Quoting Iberiadc852 (Reply 8):

What I would like to know if the SB DC-10 I saw yesterday October 7th taking off from TFN, could be the same that had an engine explosion flying from MAD to CCS. That is why I remarked that I didn't know if "the flight I saw" was departing to MAD or to CCS. (Obviously, if it had departed to CCS, could not be the same one, as it could not have had time to go back to MAD and to restart a flight to CCS the same day).

It departed from CCS around 7-8PM local time. It was bound to MAD. So yes, maybe this was the same DC10. I think TFN-CCS flight time is around 6 hours, so if it departed TFN at 11AM local CCS time, it landed in CCS at 5PM in time for a 7-9PM departure back to Europe. Interesting to read your post regarding the higher than usual noise of the DC10 engines. Maybe it has something to do with the incident.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

Chiguire

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:14 pm

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 2):
Santa Barbara should as a first step not change the fleet, but fire the maintenance manager and his superior, having them replaced with good characters. Only by doing a serious job they can assure the future of the airline.

The problem is not only the maintanance management, but maybe also the currency regulations in Venezuela. The airlines do not get enough US$ in order to keep their fleet well maintained. So you are right, the same thing will happen with their 767.
We already have one airline (LAI) that had to stop operations with their two ATRs due to lack of money for spareparts.

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 9):
Interesting to read your post regarding the higher than usual noise of the DC10 engines. Maybe it has something to do with the incident.

My experience is, that starting aircraft sound very different depending on the winds and other circumstances of weather.
But if something was wrong with the engines in TFN already, then they should not only fire the maintanance manager, but also the cockpit crew of that flight for flying the aircraft.

The government is spending so much money in scilly and senseless projects (Conviasa beeing one of them) instead of taking care about the essentials.
Air traffic will not improve by regulating every sh**, from fares to customer rights etc.

legacy135

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:43 pm

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 10):
The problem is not only the maintenance management, but maybe also the currency regulations in Venezuela. The airlines do not get enough US$ in order to keep their fleet well maintained. So you are right, the same thing will happen with their 767.
We already have one airline (LAI) that had to stop operations with their two ATRs due to lack of money for spareparts.

I absolutely agree with you that it can be very difficult to maintain a fleet in good technical conditions if the own currency is weak, so everything very expensive.

Still, this is no excuse and the ones responsible for the maintenance of the planes are the ones finally responsible if they do not comply with international standards. I personally do not think that they do not correspond with international standards, as this would be very silly. They would risk to loose traffic rights if it comes to inspections. I rather think that they do the works to a point they "just" comply. There are several ways to do maintenance. There are things if you know the plane and it's systems you may say "leave it as it is..." as their will be no risk. This is highly dependable from the experience of the person taking care. But an aircraft works as your body. If you have something wrong with a tooth and you won't go to the dentist, nothing will happen, as you will eat on the other side in your mouth. In the beginning...... but after a while you will have problems on the other side as well, because of much higher use, plus an asymmetric you give to the bones and all that. The final problem will be much higher and cost you several times more to bring in order apart from all the pain you will suffer from. So they are highly advised to do a complete overhaul and bring the planes into a good shape, then they can be quite and maintenancecosts will be in the normal range.

They should have a special view on their international services. Here they can generate revenues in Dollars and Euros, money they can use to buy spareparts and do the maintenance. Exactly here they need those DC-10's.

So as hard as it may be to get the money together to have those planes in good shape, there is no way that leads around. I hope the best for them and would love them to see them back with those lovely DC-10's.

Cheers
Legacy135  Wink

Chiguire

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:58 pm

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 11):
own currency is weak, so everything very expensive.

The point is not that the Bolivar is "weak". It's just that - if you want to change them into US$ or another currency - you have to apply for that at CADIVI. They authorize, you pay them in Bs and get US$ or whatever you applied for.
Here a link is Spanish in case you understand a bit:
http://www.el-nacional.com/Articulos...rticulo.asp?Id=68116&IdSeccion=178

If you don't get approved US$ you just simply have NO money at all to pay for spareparts, fuel etc. No one abroad will accept Bolivares for spareparts - weak or not. It's just not convertible.

And I agree, S3 has a certain income in foreign currency by BSP payments abroad, in the US, Spain etc. But this money is needed for the payment of offices, salaries and - most of all - FUEL.

This is no excuse for bad maintenance, just one of the reasons.
I am much more concerned about the pilots. If they know that those aircraft are in a bad shape - and they are - why do they risk their and the passengers lives ?

And finally: I hope they do not only cancel the flights to Europe yesterday, but all of them until they get other aircraft. Because otherwise, if one of these DC10 lands in Spain again, they will be the first airline on a Spanish blacklist.

IDAWA

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:20 pm

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 4):
Shame on Santa Barbara for putting pax and crew lives at risk.

I don't think that an engine fire well into the flight (the topic says 30 minutes after departure) may have jeopardized the safety of the aircraft. You might have had a point had the failure happened at V1.

I-DAWA
Flown on: 319, 320, 321, 340, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, DC9, D10, M11, M80, 146, EM2, BEH, CRJ, DH8, L4T.

BAViscount

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:37 pm

I was on a U2 flight AMS-LGW on Thursday evening (October 6th) and I noticed that there was a Santa Barbara DC10 over by the maintenance hangars at LGW. It stood out to me beacuse it was the first time I'd ever seen one of their aircraft - unfortunately I was too far away to get the reg. Does anyone know what it was doing there (do Santa Barbara even fly to LGW?)? Could it have been the same aircraft that was involved in this incident the following day?
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

JBirdAV8r

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:01 pm

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 4):
A lady pax said to the cameras that they head a loud BOOM and then saw the engine on fire through the window. Very very bad pubilicity for the airline. Shame on Santa Barbara for putting pax and crew lives at risk.

"Blew up"......hmmm. I don't think so. Sounds like a compressor stall to me (probably saw fire out the tailpipe, not from the engine itself, and they make one or more several loud booms). It's a relatively common occurrence (as engine anomalies go). If that's the case, no big deal, although I'd be curious to know the reason behind it.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

B757200

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:34 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 14):
Does anyone know what it was doing there (do Santa Barbara even fly to LGW?)?

I understand it was under maintenance, but I'm not sure if it was the same aircraft. They don't fly to LGW. They only fly to Spain (MAD, TFN and SCQ).

viasa

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:42 pm

One aircraft is still at LGW under maintenance and the other was the aircraft which is retourned to CCS after this problem.

luisde8cd

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:40 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 14):
I was on a U2 flight AMS-LGW on Thursday evening (October 6th) and I noticed that there was a Santa Barbara DC10 over by the maintenance hangars at LGW. It stood out to me beacuse it was the first time I'd ever seen one of their aircraft - unfortunately I was too far away to get the reg. Does anyone know what it was doing there (do Santa Barbara even fly to LGW?)? Could it have been the same aircraft that was involved in this incident the following day?

As it was previously mentioned that DC10 has been in LGW for almost a month now undergoing maintenance. The ship at LGW is YV-1040. The ship that had the emergency is YV-1052C.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

luisde8cd

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:20 am

http://www.unionradio.com.ve/Noticias/Noticia.aspx?noticiaid=148278

More info on the topic, . Spanish only sorry.

What it says is that flights to Europe have been cancelled until the "new" B767s arrive. They expect the suspension of flights to last 2 weeks.

As I thought... this is the end of pax service for the DC10 in Venezuela. The DC10 was such a nice ship flying over the venezuelan skies since the 70s. Viasa was the first one to operate it when it bought some of them brand new from Douglas back in the 70s. Then Avensa operated the ones that Santa Barbara currently has.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos A. Morillo Doria

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos A. Morillo Doria
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ralf Drews

View Large View Medium

Photo © RURIK Enriquez Dominguez-Aviascapes México
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Cederholm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sunbird Photos by Don Boyd
View Large View Medium

Photo © Manolo Aldana

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nacho Piédrola - Iberian Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Javier Guerrero

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

Avianca

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:24 am

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 18):
As it was previously mentioned that DC10 has been in LGW for almost a month now undergoing maintenance.

any information why so long? 1 month is really long or are they doeing a D-Check?

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 19):
What it says is that flights to Europe have been cancelled until the "new" B767s arrive. They expect the suspension of flights to last 2 weeks.

any information what will happend to the bocked passengers? are all rebooked to AirEuropa and Iberia?

Wow this is really bad puplicity for SantaBarabara... I hope this will not the end of this airline.

andreas
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

777gk

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:34 am

Over the years with Continental, and especially late in the 1990s, we had multiple uncontained failures with the CF6-50 on our DC-10s. I'm not going to say they are unreliable, but these issues are certainly not foreign with that engine, even on the most well-maintained examples.

luisde8cd

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:35 am

Quoting 777gk (Reply 21):
Over the years with Continental, and especially late in the 1990s, we had multiple uncontained failures with the CF6-50 on our DC-10s. I'm not going to say they are unreliable, but these issues are certainly not foreign with that engine, even on the most well-maintained examples.

I think YV-1052C is a former Continental plane, or is it YV-1040C?

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

[Edited 2005-10-09 17:36:08]

legacy135

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:42 am

I really don't know how they want to introduce a new type within 2 weeks only. I adquiered a new type more than once and had this challenging job more than once to do. Sure, they have already the 757 which shares commonality in several aspects with the 767 but it's still another type.
First of all they need to make contracts, have them run trough their legal department and the one of the lessor. This will last several weeks. In parallel they need to deal out the clue with the banks what is not that fast either.
Then they need to accept that bird, bring it to the country and register it. They also need to settle everything with customs and taxes on that.
Operations needs to prepare all the documentation and manuals for. They need to introduce that to all stations they want to fly with. They need to have the ground equippement and train all the staff. Finally they need to train the flight attendants and the pilots. The pilots will need to get a route intro as it's a new type. They also will need to be signed off. Finally Santa Barbara was not an ETOPS operator yet, so......???? Even not necessary to mention that a pilots training for a 767 may last something between 4 and 5 weeks.
I have some huge question marks here and I'd rather expect them to bring the DC-10 back. Maybe in two weeks the one standing in LGW will be ready to fly.
The only way I could imagine them to run the flights by a 767 is if they go with a wet lease, for example with Air Atlanta Iceland. Those Nordic guys are pretty good and I could imagine that they get it in 2 weeks.

Good Luck Santa Barbara, Cheers
Legacy135  Wink

AlitaliaMD11

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:45 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 20):
AirEuropa and Iberia

There is multiple ways in which the passengers will reach CCS.

They could be on Avianca, Iberia, American (via MIA), Continental (via EWR), Alitalia (via MXP), Delta (via ATL), Air France (via CDG) the list goes on and on.

Most likely the passengers are on Iberia, Air Europa, or Avianca to CCS.

When the second DC-10 comes out of maintenance in LGW will it join the Santa Barbara fleet along with the B767-300 and B757-200 or will it no longer fly for them? (Is the one at LGW YV-1052C or YV1040C?)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ismael Jorda

I think this is a real shame, I always enjoyed seeing the early morning DC-10 arrival from CCS and then seeing it sit on the tarmac for a while until its beautiful and nosiey afternoon departure!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Radek Oneksiak
View Large View Medium

Photo © José Ramón Valero - Iberian Spotters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Francisco José Jurado Ariza

[Edited 2005-10-09 17:52:26]
No Vueling No Party

OB1504

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:12 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 15):

"Blew up"......hmmm. I don't think so. Sounds like a compressor stall to me (probably saw fire out the tailpipe, not from the engine itself, and they make one or more several loud booms). It's a relatively common occurrence (as engine anomalies go). If that's the case, no big deal, although I'd be curious to know the reason behind it.

Sounds like the same thing that happened to this VASP MD-11 a while back:

View Large View Medium

Photo © M.Oertle

USADreamliner

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:31 am

Quoting Aviation (Reply 7):
Also very sad to see one of my favourites, the DC-10 slowly fading out forever...

I feel the same way.
Hope to see very soon the 763 and 772 and a new name!
Sorry, but Santa Barbara Airline sounds like the name of a company with one airplane from a tiny island in the middle of nowhere.
I like to see a name more representative worldwide of Venezuela.

USADreamliner

Magyarorszag

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:16 am

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 22):

Anybody Knows Who Used To Own Santa Barbara DC-10 (by BA747 Sep 19 2005 in Civil Aviation)

AlitaliaMD11

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:18 am

Aren't both of Santa Barbara's DC-10s former Avensa planes?
No Vueling No Party

B757200

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:29 am

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 22):

It's YV-1040C, CN 47867. It was operated by Alitalia, Eastern, Continental and Avensa.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Toni Marimon

View Large View Medium

Photo © James Richard Covington
View Large View Medium

Photo © José Ramón Valero - Iberian Spotters

md90fan

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:38 am

Well before I heard they were acquiring 76S , I thought that they could have picked up a batch of MD-11's from Thai.  Smile Anyways I hope the 76S works out for them
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

Varghel

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:45 am

Hi,
this is what Santa Barbara's Site declares (http://www.santabarbaraairlines.com/Noticias.asp):
Santa Barbara announces that it has decided to operate a quicker renowal of its fleet from DC-10-30 to Boeing 767.
During this change, the airline will put on work a response operational plan so that flights beteen Caracas and Madrid and Tenerife will be served normally, by leasing planes.

Regards,
Varghel
Varghel

Chiguire

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 23):
Sure, they have already the 757 which shares commonality in several aspects with the 767 but it's still another type.

The 757 are operated by Primaris. So no experience on those kind of aircraft for S3 side at all.

They also will need to be signed off. Finally Santa Barbara was not an ETOPS operator yet, so......????

This is correct and the biggest issue for such a route.

Even not necessary to mention that a pilots training for a 767 may last something between 4 and 5 weeks.

Also correct.

The only way I could imagine them to run the flights by a 767 is if they go with a wet lease, for example with Air Atlanta Iceland. Those Nordic guys are pretty good and I could imagine that they get it in 2 weeks.

And this really is the only solution - if Air Atlanta has availability. I am just hoping that they don't do anything wrong in this point in wetleasing from a less reliable company. The image is bad already.

I just hope everything turn out to be OK for S3 and they find a way to continue their operations to Europe and even expand them.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 am

This is a WOW thread for me!

I knew about S3 DC-10s having problems, but an engine exploding is not a problem any more... it's a disaster.

Thanks God the jet didn't catch on fire, there we could have had a disaster!

S3 has to ground them immediately. It's a irresponsible act to keep this jets flying.

Let's see what comes along.

Saludos, Enrique
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

anxebla

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:58 am

I hope the best to my favorite Venezuelan airline

Luis: I'm very sorry, but your "favourite" airline is a real danger which unfortunately is flying. Aviación Civil (Spanish Aviation Authority) is seriously thinking to forbid SB operations on the Spanish land.

It's better doing something or forcing SB to stop ops before waiting a "misfortune" over a SB flight.

When it rains it pours, or "las desgracias nunca vienen solas" like we say in our language.
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

Chiguire

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:17 am

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 34):
Luis: I'm very sorry, but your "favourite" airline is a real danger which unfortunately is flying. Aviación Civil (Spanish Aviation Authority) is seriously thinking to forbid SB operations on the Spanish land.

Do you have any source for that or is it just a personal wish in order to have one competitor less for IB ?  wink 
You have no clue about the background of those technical problems. You are just posting negative images without any prove.
It is not said at all that the problems S3 had the last weeks are a real "danger" for passengers with the S3 maintenance being guilty.

I hope the best for Santa Barbara Airlines (although I am working for the competition as you do) and I am sure they will continue to provide a great and much better service than IB !

anxebla

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:02 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 35):
Do you have any source for that or is it just a personal wish in order to have one competitor less for IB ?

No comment.

You are just posting negative images without any prove.

WHAT???? Please, try it with this thread title: >Santa Barbara DC10 Engine "explodes" In Flight< Is not more than enought?? If not, is it mandatory remind you what happened in MAD two weeks ago?? Please, Chiguire Once and for all GROW UP!!! Look the 797's statement:

Quoting 797 (Reply 33):
S3 has to ground them immediately. Itit has nothing to do with's a irresponsible act to keep this jets flying

He's right and he's from Venezuela like you. It has nothing to do with national proud or something like that ...it's a SAFETY MATTER and is NOT another thing.

hope the best for Santa Barbara Airlines (although I am working for the competition as you do)

The last time which I worked by Iberia was in 2001   I found it very funny seeing many people who think in this forum I am an IB worker still.

Look this: Santa Barbara otra vez
it's from our Aviation Forum in Spanish. There is an user which is from Caracas as well. If you wish, you can join to us. It's free of charge.

[Edited 2005-10-09 22:16:02]
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

Magyarorszag

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:02 am

Here's a pic of YV-1040C at LGW.

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=398870

Regards,

M

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:11 am

Well, Luis is right.

I just went to Santa Barbara's site and in its 'News' area they published this:

http://www.santabarbaraairlines.com/noticias.asp

Traduced from the Spanish, what it says is:
"Santa Barbara Airlines has taken the decision of accelerating the change of its current fleet of DC-10s for 767s on their routes to TFN and MAD...
While we go through this change, we'll make a response plan to keep covering the service. This implies the "lease" of airplanes to satisfy passenger's demands.
We are sorry for any inconvenience caused in the last days"

---

So, this is not the first time I hear this officialy. BA747 told me recently that he went to Santa Barbara to apply for a job, and he had some time to talk to the manager, and he said that their 767 plan was going well. The only problem they had is that they'd have to use the airplanes just as they use their 757, with pilots from the airline who leased them. (757s are being piloted by Primaris crew).

I think this DC-10 situation wasn't bad at all. It seems that it made S3's administration change their minds fast and finally, we can see some change.

Let's see what happens in a couple of days... What are they going to use between the gap of acquiring the 767s?

Saludos!
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

ghost77

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:17 am

If S3 is having trouble is their fault!!! Lack of mx.. probably...

Dc10 is still a safe plane to ride on!! Proof is NW and FDX flying their Dc10s with no engine explosions at all!!!

We in Mexico have JR who flies a 40 year old Dc9-10, the oldest Dc9 still active in the world, fuselage number 7, XA-RXG and they don't have no problems at all... speaks for a good and responsible mx...!

ghost77 APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

PRAirbus

Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:46 am

So much talk about S3s airplanes' condition...I wonder how they look inside. Anyone has any S3 DC10s interior pictures? In what condition are they inside? I do not mean if they looked "clean" but if they look tired or in bad shape. A while ago I heard their meal carts were ex-Viasa's. Anyone can provide any specifics?

luisde8cd

Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 40):
A while ago I heard their meal carts were ex-Viasa's. Anyone can provide any specifics?

From what I've heard, meal carts are ex-Viasa, ex-Varig and ex-avensa. Life vests are Continental's. I dont know more details....

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

jetdeltamsy

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:59 pm

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 2):
I have to say that this is probably Santa Barbaras fault.

Way way way too soon to speculate on such an issue. Santa Barbara has major problems, but the engine failure could have been from an infinite number of causes.

With that said, I would never fly with them.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

iberiadc852

Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:08 pm

so if it departed TFN at 11AM local CCS time, it landed in CCS at 5PM in time for a 7-9PM departure back to Europe

So yes, maybe this was the same DC10

Sorry, but I had to be away and couldn't follow the thread. I had misread the origin of the flight, but anyway, considering CCS local time, I think the one with the problem had to be the same one I heard taking off so noisy. I can assure you it was not the typical DC-10's GE roaring. Anyway, I haven't heard the SB's DC-10 so often so maybe some a.netters from Venezuela can confirm how noisy they are.usually.

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 42):
Way way way too soon to speculate on such an issue

I think the same The high number of events to Santa Barbara, especially for such a small number of planes, doesn't give confidence about them. But the probable fault of a single event should be treated other way.

Chiguire

Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:39 pm

Quoting Anxebla (Reply 36):
Do you have any source for that or is it just a personal wish in order to have one competitor less for IB ?

No comment.

OK, so no source.....

Please, Chiguire Once and for all GROW UP!!! Look the 797's statement:

Thank you for that advice. I will do my best.
But maybe you try as well. This would prevent you from posting silly statements without ANY source.

Quoting 797 (Reply 33):
S3 has to ground them immediately. Itit has nothing to do with's a irresponsible act to keep this jets flying

He's right and he's from Venezuela like you. It has nothing to do with national proud or something like that ...it's a SAFETY MATTER and is NOT another thing.

I know he is right ! And I never said something different. I even recommended to stop their DC10 flights after the incident in MAD. So please read carefully before you post something.

Look this: Santa Barbara otra vez
it's from our Aviation Forum in Spanish. There is an user which is from Caracas as well. If you wish, you can join to us. It's free of charge.

This forum doesn't comment the recent problem. It's no source for the posted ban of S3 in Spain.
And yes, maybe I join to improve the quality.  wink 

Today a press report says, that they will be giving back the DC10 to the lessor and get some 767 in exchange. Does anybody know who the lessor is ? Do they have 767 ? And: I doubt they will be able to operate them in such a short period of time as they have no experience with twin-jet operations at all.
They need someone else to operate the flights for them. Here the article:

http://noticias.eluniversal.com/2005/10/10/eco_art_10206A.shtml

Dougloid

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:27 pm

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 12):
The point is not that the Bolivar is "weak". It's just that - if you want to change them into US$ or another currency - you have to apply for that at CADIVI. They authorize, you pay them in Bs and get US$ or whatever you applied for.
Here a link is Spanish in case you understand a bit:
http://www.el-nacional.com/Articulos...rticulo.asp?Id=68116&IdSeccion=178

If you don't get approved US$ you just simply have NO money at all to pay for spareparts, fuel etc. No one abroad will accept Bolivares for spareparts - weak or not. It's just not convertible.

Chiguire, is the current political situation between the US and Venezuela contributing to this situation or does it apply across the board?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

luisde8cd

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:46 pm

Santa Barbara's DC-10s are leased from Pegasus Aviation. According to their website they offer B767-300ERs for lease. They also offer:

-MD11
-B744
-B772
-A320
-B737 /300/400/700/200
-B752
-DC9-30
-MD8x
-B722

Asuming that Pegasus has 767 available, I think the swap can me made in a short period of time. And maybe it is not such a crazy idea to think that they might add the 772 sometime to the fleet in the future.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

Chiguire

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:57 pm

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 46):
Asuming that Pegasus has 767 available, I think the swap can me made in a short period of time

Thanks for the info.
It might not be a problem from the point of availability but:

Operations needs to prepare all the documentation and manuals for. They need to introduce that to all stations they want to fly with. They need to have the ground equippement and train all the staff. Finally they need to train the flight attendants and the pilots. The pilots will need to get a route intro as it's a new type. They also will need to be signed off. Finally Santa Barbara was not an ETOPS operator yet, so......???? Even not necessary to mention that a pilots training for a 767 may last something between 4 and 5 weeks.

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 46):
And maybe it is not such a crazy idea to think that they might add the 772 sometime to the fleet in the future.

What can I say...this would be a dream come true. Finally a Venezuelan airline with international standard on longhaul. Let's cross the fingers and hope it really happens.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 45):
Chiguire, is the current political situation between the US and Venezuela contributing to this situation or does it apply across the board?

This has nothing to do with the situation between both governments. It's just a kind of exchange control some countries apply to get an easier control of their economy. Venezuela did it for several reason. And this exchange control itself is not the problem. It's the bureaucratic handling that makes it so difficult for all importing companies - not only aviation.

Orion737

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:57 pm

Won the 763 be a drop in capacity compared to the larger DC10?

Chiguire

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:30 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 48):
Won the 763 be a drop in capacity compared to the larger DC10?

Not a lot as the DC10 has a very good pitch in coach and three classes. And I quess they will leave away first in the 763 which would result in maybe even more coach capacity.
The only thing that will really be more diffficult is the cargo capacity. This was the big advantage (and the only one) of the DC10.