MAH4546
Topic Author

AA Ending STL-EVV, STL-BMI, STL-CMI

Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:17 am

AmericanConnection will be ending non-stop service from St. Louis to three regional destinations this fall. Service to Evansville, Indiana (2x J31) will end on 29 October 2005. Service to Champaign, Illinois (2x J41) will end on 31 October 2005. Service to Bloomington-Normal, Illinois (2x J41) will end on 1 December 2005. And please don't go screaming "that's it, the AA STL hub is now really dead!". It isn't. Dropping three Midwest markets isn't the end of the world. All three will retain American Eagle service to O'Hare, while Champaign and Evansville also feature American Eagle service to Dallas.
a.

BHMNONREV

RE: AA Ending STL-EVV, STL-BMI, STL-CMI

Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:24 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
And please don't go screaming "that's it, the AA STL hub is now really dead!".

lol...I'm surprised these were not cut sooner. I would figure SGF and maybe a few others will be next.

Thanks for the update Mark..

N908AW

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:12 am

Doesn't SPI have J41 service too?
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

BigGSFO

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am

Any idea what they will do with the J31/J41's? Any thoughts of sending those props elsewhere?

FLAIRPORT

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:14 am

Does AA still have service to Owensboro from STL?
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

apodino

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:30 am

I always wondered. STL is not as busy or as delay proned an airport as ORD. Why not scale back ORD a bit to help with the traffic and build up STL. Seems to me that would help keep flights ontime, make people happy which brings business to AA, and therefore increases their revenue.

atrude777

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:31 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 4):

Yes.

NON-STOP
American 5257
12:37PM 1:40 PM
Trm:M J31 Trm:

Ownr:AA CNX REGIO

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

BHMNONREV

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:32 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 4):

Yes, currently 2 X J31 per day. I believe this is an EAS route, so it should be OK for a while...

Some more possible cuts I could see in the near future:

SGF
PIA
IND

I think SPI is safe for now, since there is no other AA service available. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

Could this be Boeing Nut's big STL news he was referring to earlier??

SHUPirate1

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:32 am

Aren't all of those props at-risk flights?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

texan

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:57 am

I'm kinda surprised about the BMI cut, only because at least back when TWA operated it, State Farm gave them what basically amounted to a subsidy so that the route was always profitable. And it was almost impossible to find any seats on the BMI-STL flights on Thurs, Fri, Sun, and Mon; in addition, the Tues and Wed flights had solid bookings for middle of the week flights(remember, this is a couple years ago so my info is likely out of date). Yes, I understand LF is not indicative of profit, but as stated before, State Farm paid a bundle to have the flights. Did AA lose the contract or did they receive a contract to go through ORD?

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

planespotting

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:32 am

perhaps State Farm no longer needs to go to St. Louis?
Do you like movies about gladiators?

stl1326

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:22 am

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 7):
Could this be Boeing Nut's big STL news he was referring to earlier??

I don't think so. He said something about it being an important day for St. Louis. I don't think this is important for STL. Hey MAH, do any other regional routes get increases from these routes being dropped or is everything standing the same, except these minor changes.

LambertMan

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:36 am

Doesn't surprise me to see these cuts, all of them have seen periodical frequency losses. Just more trimming of the fat, if you ask me. I could really care less if there are any extra prop flights added, a J31 here and there doesn't amount to a pile of poop. OTOH, hopefully it doesn't have much affect on feeding the other flights in and out of St. Louis.

CIDFlyer

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:42 pm

any chance of seeing some current J41 routes upgraded to jet service like MSN recently? Out of curiosity I checked some of the CID-STL flights and most of them look full, maybe one of them could be replaced by an ERJ?

jetdeltamsy

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:57 pm

please don't go screaming "that's it, the AA STL hub is now really dead!". It isn't.

Look for more of the same from AA. This trend to continue.

All of you out there who think the STL mini-hub will continue to grow are dreaming. AA will continue pulling down STL. DEC-STL will probably go by the end of the year as AAConx isn't able to attract enough customers to keep their EAS contracts with the government.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

SHUPirate1

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:00 pm

Ummm...children, those markets dropped are all turboprops, which are operated by Trans States and RegionsAir at-risk. American has no control over whether those flights are kept or not. The only flights American has control over are the Trans States ERJ-145's and the Chautauqua ERJ-140's.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

LambertMan

Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:44 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 14):

All of you out there who think the STL mini-hub will continue to grow are dreaming. AA will continue pulling down STL. DEC-STL will probably go by the end of the year as AAConx isn't able to attract enough customers to keep their EAS contracts with the government.

In addition to SHU's valid point, I'm not sure why you are insistent on American significantly shrinking St. Louis. All AA execs have said that it does very well for them, and even Arpey said that it was a "surprising success story". Also, as I've said before if St. Louis was doing poorly it would have been a 5 city station by now.

stlgph

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:34 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 14):

thank you!

Champaign & Bloomington....say hello Delta Air Lines and good bye to American Connection.

Decatur might stay around for a little bit, but I'd add Moline to the list along with Springfield - Branson.

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 16):
In addition to SHU's valid point, I'm not sure why you are insistent on American significantly shrinking St. Louis. All AA execs have said that it does very well for them, and even Arpey said that it was a "surprising success story". Also, as I've said before if St. Louis was doing poorly it would have been a 5 city station by now.

get a new line, this is tired and contracts your reply #12.

Dropping three Midwest markets isn't the end of the world.

absolutely. what's three, compared to say...28. what is that now...a total of 31/32 markets AA has dropped entirely from STL since taking over service?

All three will retain American Eagle service to O'Hare, while Champaign and Evansville also feature American Eagle service to Dallas.

and Bloomington - Normal to Dallas - Ft. Worth is how far away?

Quoting Apodino (Reply 5):
I always wondered. STL is not as busy or as delay proned an airport as ORD. Why not scale back ORD a bit to help with the traffic and build up STL. Seems to me that would help keep flights ontime, make people happy which brings business to AA, and therefore increases their revenue.

STL facilities, again, are not hub friendly in today's more modern cost conscious environment
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

LambertMan

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:43 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 17):
get a new line, this is tired and contracts your reply #12.

Cutting 3 j31 routes isn't significantly shrinking. Its a loss of like a 100 seats a day or something. If they start cutting alot of mainline flying or more important regional routes like ATL or EWR, then I'd consider it relevant to their overall operation.

ejmmsu

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:56 pm

This is much bigger news for the cities that lost service, and more indicative of the health of commercial aviation within those cities, than it is indicative of the health of STL.

STL has been transformed to an O&D hub, with some connection oppourtunities.

These cities probably had little or no O&D value.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

stlgph

Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:32 pm

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 19):
This is much bigger news for the cities that lost service, and more indicative of the health of commercial aviation within those cities, than it is indicative of the health of STL.

as I said, Bloomington and Champaign have seen Delta come onto the market. I believe Evansville has seen a steady increase in flight services.

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 18):
Cutting 3 j31 routes isn't significantly shrinking. Its a loss of like a 100 seats a day or something. If they start cutting alot of mainline flying or more important regional routes like ATL or EWR, then I'd consider it relevant to their overall operation.

sure. and you go "ga ga" and say things like "take that DFW, MIA, and ORD!" when one regional jet is added to Sarasota.

make up your mind.

johnboy

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:02 pm

I had always pictured Owensboro as being well within the Evansville market reach.

Had no idea they had their own service.

CIDFlyer

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:38 pm

Decatur might stay around for a little bit, but I'd add Moline to the list along with Springfield - Branson.

Moline has not had non-stop service to STL since the Nov. 2003 reduction.

BHMNONREV

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:50 am

STL facilities, again, are not hub friendly in today's more modern cost conscious environment

As opposed to those wonderful hub-friendly facilities located in DFW and ORD...  sarcastic 

mrstl

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:07 am

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 23):
As opposed to those wonderful hub-friendly facilities located in DFW and ORD...

You raise a good point-- how much are landing fees and other associated fees at ORD and DFW vs STL? How much will ORD go up with their new runway construction? How much does it cost the airlines to get into sequence for landing at ORD on a yearly basis-- on my last flight to Chicago we flew over the City and went way out over Lake Michigan -- when we finally made our turn it took us 5-7 minutes before landing-- in the world of increased fuel costs this has to raise the price tag of operations. We sat on the runway waiting for take off fifteen to twenty minutes after an hour delay sitting on the tarmac because of a thunderstorm. While I understand O/D numbers as far as a connecting hub I think ORD sucks and avoid it like the plague. I do not see the logic of wanting to cram more people into an environment that is already maxed out not to mention the real winners in the runway expansion at ORD will be the LCC's with increased frequencies-- it makes me laugh- if I was UA and AA I would probably reconsider the price tag and ramnifications of more capacity. Now as far as an international gateway I completely understand but if I am going from DCA to LA I would rather go through STL --or maybe I am a little biased  Wink

CIDFlyer

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:27 am

Quoting MrSTL (Reply 24):
I am going from DCA to LA I would rather go through STL --or maybe I am a little biased

I agree with you, STL is a nice place to connect through vs. ORD. I gave up on ORD years ago, too many delays. With the remodeling and new concessions on concourse C in STL, it actually looks pretty spiffy and I think most people would rather have a smooth delay free connection in a place like STL rather than being delayed through a so called more "glamorous" hub like ORD or DFW. Much has been said that STL facilities are not "hub friendly", but do you think a majority of the traveling public really cares about that? I have travelled through STL and MEM several times and they may not provide the awe of, say the new DTW terminal, but I did enjoy the fact that my connections have always been smooth and easy there and got me on to my destination in a timely manner.

flyibaby

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:42 am

This is off topic I know, but something I have nonetheless wondered about for while. Some of you may remember Air Illinois. They provided service within Illinois and to STL. They were very successful especially with their MDW-SPI-Carbondale route. They ceased operations after a fatal crash in the 80's I believe.

My question herein is, why doesn't Regions or Trans States capitalize on this knowledge and offer say J32/41 service to intra-Illinois markets without the hassle of having to connect. Isn't this how WN started in TX?

LambertMan

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:48 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 20):
sure. and you go "ga ga" and say things like "take that DFW, MIA, and ORD!" when one regional jet is added to Sarasota.

make up your mind.

It was a joke. I said St. Louis had exacted sweet revenge. Does it sound like I'm being serious? Yeah....I really think that a once daily flight to Sarasota can compare with DFW, ORD and MIA flying around 777's to South Americs and Europe.

stlgph

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 25):
Much has been said that STL facilities are not "hub friendly", but do you think a majority of the traveling public really cares about that?

yes. the traveling public wants to pay less = an airline having a more efficient operation all around to keep costs down.

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 23):
As opposed to those wonderful hub-friendly facilities located in DFW and ORD...

yes, it is correct. the STL facilities and the airfield lay out are not hub-friendly as compared to DFW and ORD.

it appears that you and CID flyer are both confusing "hub-friendly" with "passenger amentities"

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 22):
Moline has not had non-stop service to STL since the Nov. 2003 reduction.

that's a good one. my fall 2004 flight schedule from AA I printed out has Moline listed. remind me to save this.

Quoting MrSTL (Reply 24):
You raise a good point-- how much are landing fees and other associated fees at ORD and DFW vs STL

lower.

I know AA enjoys a nice signatory rate at ORD. I do not know the exact numbers for DFW, but I'd be very surprised if they don't have signatory rates there, too.

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 27):
It was a joke. I said St. Louis had exacted sweet revenge. Does it sound like I'm being serious? Yeah....I really think that a once daily flight to Sarasota can compare with DFW, ORD and MIA flying around 777's to South Americs and Europe.

yes, sweet revenge on a 50 passenger a day jet. then STL turns around and loses 100 seats with the passengers going through O'Hare and Dallas.

Quoting Flyibaby (Reply 26):
My question herein is, why doesn't Regions or Trans States capitalize on this knowledge and offer say J32/41 service to intra-Illinois markets without the hassle of having to connect. Isn't this how WN started in TX?

anymore, people are just simply drive happy, or have turned to Amtrak.

CIDFlyer

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 28):
that's a good one. my fall 2004 flight schedule from AA I printed out has Moline listed. remind me to save this

yes that is a good one, here is the article from 2003 saying non stop flights to the Quad Cities/Moline were being cut

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003/07/16-amr-loss.htm

stlgph

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:35 am

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 29):
yes that is a good one, here is the article from 2003 saying non stop flights to the Quad Cities/Moline were being cut

and i applaud your efforts of having nothing else to do.

you send me an old copy of the QS 9000 Third Edition and i'll send you a copy of this page.

BHMNONREV

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:52 am

yes. the traveling public wants to pay less = an airline having a more efficient operation all around to keep costs down.

Ah yes, how could we forget those marvels of operational efficiency, DFW and ORD...

yes, it is correct. the STL facilities and the airfield lay out are not hub-friendly as compared to DFW and ORD.

it appears that you and CID flyer are both confusing "hub-friendly"
with "passenger amentities"

I will agree with the operational disaster at STL in regard to the 12/30's and W1W, but why is that any different from the runway layout mess at O'Hare? And what is it about the "facilities" that makes them "non hub-friendly", as compared to DFW and ORD??

Quoting STLGph (Reply 30):

nice....

stlgph

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:00 am

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 31):
Ah yes, how could we forget those marvels of operational efficiency, DFW and ORD...

we've been there, done this discussion already. do we really have to go through it again? it's gonna have to wait because I have to socialize this evening. but, you start. and do it in another thread.

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 31):
And what is it about the "facilities" that makes them "non hub-friendly", as compared to DFW and ORD??

stop and think for a few minutes about the airline industry as it is today.

btw, i'll toss you a clue....

CVG

MaverickM11

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:02 am

On a related note, what's with Viva Air (that somewhat shady penny stock company with Caribbean assets that has press releases about releasing a press release) buying into Regions Air (which provides a lot of Eagle service out of STL to podunk towns in the Midwest)?
E pur si muove -Galileo

md90fan

Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:24 am

A little off the topic, but what cities has AA/AE ended service to from STL and when?? Any coming back??
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

BHMNONREV

Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:55 am

Too many to list, but on 11/01/03 AA discontinued to, among others, SJC, PDX, YVR, ANC, ABQ, MCI, OMA, LNK...

Will they be back? Probably not, but rumors have popped up here from time to time in regards to several cities. PDX and SJC have been mentioned, as has DTW (AX). Some others have had discussion to see upgrades to mainline service. They are, ATL, RDU and PHL.

But this is strictly speculation, the one who is "juiced" into AA schedule happenings is Mark MAH4546, the original poster of this thread. If they come about, he is the first to let us know..

CIDFlyer

Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:34 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 30):

you send me an old copy of the QS 9000 Third Edition and i'll send you a copy of this page.

well thanks for that! Just trying to show that you that STL has not had MLI flights with proof to back it up, and yet I get a smart aleck remark. Nice

BHMNONREV

Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:57 am

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 36):
well thanks for that! Just trying to show that you that STL has not had MLI flights with proof to back it up, and yet I get a smart aleck remark. Nice

Smart aleck remarks are this young man's M.O., he tends to lay the condescension on pretty thick at times. My guess is he did a project in college, came up with a few conclusions and now he has branded himself a "genius", because he certainly seems to have it all figured out.

Do yourself a favor dude, and take the high road cause it aint worth it with this guy. You'll feel much better in the end...

atrude777

Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:25 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 33):
On a related note, what's with Viva Air (that somewhat shady penny stock company with Caribbean assets that has press releases about releasing a press release) buying into Regions Air (which provides a lot of Eagle service out of STL to podunk towns in the Midwest)?

RegionsAir operates as American Connection, not Eagle. These towns are no podunk. They are mostly EAS cities.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

BHMNONREV

Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:41 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 38):
RegionsAir operates as American Connection, not Eagle. These towns are no podunk. They are mostly EAS cities.

Yep, and the STL-EVV cuts will affect Regions, since they fly 2 X J31 per day on the route. Here is the Viva link from another thread:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051007/75327.html

Hey Alex, have you come up with any more pics from Concourse "C"??

MaverickM11

Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:55 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 38):

Eagle...Connection...same product, different name and delivery...and if they are EAS cities, they are podunk, by definition. But that's beside the point. Viva intends to buy Regions Air...any thoughts?

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051007/75327.html?.v=1
E pur si muove -Galileo

atrude777

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:33 am

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 39):
Hey Alex, have you come up with any more pics from Concourse "C"??

Sadly no, I havent been flying out of the C concourse in awhile, I flew Northwest Airlines as some saw, but I plan on flying to BWI on SWA in early November, if I am not flying with a girl friend of mine I will be sure to tour the place and take some more updated pictures.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 40):
Eagle...Connection...same product, different name and delivery...and if they are EAS cities, they are podunk, by definition. But that's beside the point. Viva intends to buy Regions Air...any thoughts?

Eagle and Connection are two different products Eagle is owned by AA and Connection is just a brand name operated by different Regionals, TSA, CHQ and RegionsAir.

Alex

MaverickM11

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:58 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 41):
Eagle and Connection are two different products Eagle is owned by AA and Connection is just a brand name operated by different Regionals, TSA, CHQ and RegionsAir.

Yes I know...can we answer the question about Regions Air instead please?
E pur si muove -Galileo

BHMNONREV

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:21 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 42):
can we answer the question about Regions Air instead please?

Maybe doing some work for AA in the Caribbean under the AX banner. Some island hopping, perhaps..

"We are excited about assisting Viva in bringing turn key operations and capability to their Caribbean marketplace and we believe as Viva does that the opportunities to expand within the Caribbean are excellent, commented Doug Caldwell, President of RegionsAir. We have the infrastructure in place, including the air carrier certificate, operational experience and the staff necessary to operate all of Viva's routes in the Caribbean in addition to our existing routes and EAS service opportunities."

Which routes does Viva currently operate in the Caribbean??

jetdeltamsy

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:55 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 16):
All AA execs have said that it does very well for them, and even Arpey said that it was a "surprising success story". Also, as I've said before if St. Louis was doing poorly it would have been a 5 city station by

Airline execs are never quick to publically state that a city or hub is performing poorly.

And since AA doesn't break out each hub's profitability, NOBODY can speak about how financially successful STL is for AA.

The fact is that AA does not need 3 mid-America east-west hubs. And as fuel continues to rise, all carriers are going to seek out the efficiencies. Having 3 hubs that basically compete with each other for traffic doesn't make good sense. Economics 101.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

MaverickM11

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:11 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 44):
And since AA doesn't break out each hub's profitability, NOBODY can speak about how financially successful STL is for AA.

I think the respective airlines want to get rid of MEM, STL, CVG, and CLE like a bad habit.
E pur si muove -Galileo

stlgph

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 36):

and one of my print outs of the AA STL schedule in 2004 had Moline listed. if it was a mistake, then it was a mistake. big frickin' deal.

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 37):
Smart aleck remarks are this young man's M.O., he tends to lay the condescension on pretty thick at times. My guess is he did a project in college, came up with a few conclusions and now he has branded himself a "genius", because he certainly seems to have it all figured out.

I did more than just a project. I did six. and I'm pretty close to a few individuals who have a lot to do with the yee old airport. if you're upset that I keep correcting you, get over it.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 40):
Viva intends to buy Regions Air...any thoughts?

funny you call Viva quite shady when the same thing could be said about the management at Regions Air. I talked to Regions Air management a few times...the enthusiasm was contagious, let me tell you.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 45):
I think the respective airlines want to get rid of MEM, STL, CVG, and CLE like a bad habit.

MEM and CVG? nah, not really. there's no one else to worry about there.

joeman

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:30 pm

Then why don't they?

MAH4546
Topic Author

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:43 pm

American Airlines flew St. Louis-Moline non-stops right after the TWA takeover. This route was even flown with mainline until early 2003. It was discontinued on 31 October 2003, and replaced with O'Hare-Moline on American Eagle the next day.

[Edited 2005-10-10 06:47:16]
a.

membase

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:09 pm

Quoting Joeman (Reply 47):

Then why don't they?

NW would only want to get rid of MEM if it was losing money faster than the rest of the airline, OR if they could move the hub somewhere else and make more money. For now, neither seems to be the case.