boeingfanyyz

How To Get A Jumpseat Ride

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:25 am

Hey,
How on earth do you get a jumpseat ride? Do you have to have some form of connection with the airline, or can any Joe walk off the street and ask for a jumpseat? Is it a game-time decision or can you book in advance? Extra security?
Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

S12PPL

RE: How To Get A Jumpseat Ride

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:27 am

Oh boy. Here we go.

In the US I know for sure that you MUST be a captain or FO with the airline you work for to have jump seat privilages. Otherwise...not gonna happen. Ever.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

hmmmm...

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:29 am

I do not think it is possible. I think some foreign carriers might allow an airline employee to ride jumpseat, but probably far fewer today. In Canada, I think you are out of luck.

But that would be nice, eh?
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

AASTEW

Be an airline pilot with the carrier or work for a carrier that has reciprocal J/S agreement's (CASS). Or work for B6 all employees can J/S. Also, at B6 O/A crewmember's can J/S.

boeingfanyyz

Not in Canada? Even if you have some friends that work for the airline?
Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

hmmmm...

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:35 am

No, I think you need to be an employee. But that was before 9/11. Today I doubt even that is possible unless you are well known to the captain.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

ACDC8

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:36 am

Canadian airlines are not as strict as US airlines in this matter, but also not as generous as other foreign carriers.

If you want to ride a jumpseat, I suggest you stay away from any US airline. I have had the oppurtunity to jumpseat on WS and AC in recent years, and I didn't know anyone who worked for the company. Best bet is just to ask and fly a foreign carrier.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

boeingfanyyz

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:39 am

ACDC8,
When you checked-in, did you just ask the ticket-agent if there was a jump-seat available? Or did you actually ask the captain/f/o when you got on-board? Obviously, I really want to get on a jumpseat! Big grin
Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 

KevinL1011

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:40 am

UPS allows emloyees to ride on some routes. I wonder if smaller freight carriers offer rides. Wrap yourself in bubble pack and go as cargo. I was lucky enough to BS my way into a jump seat ride from CUN to LAX. A320. Got great video. Landing @ LAX at night is fantastic. This was pre 9-11. Left my wife back in coach. Boy, was she pissed!
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

ACDC8

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:45 am

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 7):
When you checked-in, did you just ask the ticket-agent if there was a jump-seat available? Or did you actually ask the captain/f/o when you got on-board? Obviously, I really want to get on a jumpseat!

I'll just usually ask the flight crew. Try to get to the gate early, and sometimes the crew will hang out at the gate for a few minutes before they board, that's usually the best chance. Main thing is thought, don't get discouraged if they say no, chances are you'll be hearing that often.

Anyway, I'm off to the pub for a quick dinner and pint then I promised my "potential" future girlfriend we'd watch a movie tonight, so I'll talk to you later. And, BTW, good luck!  Smile

FutureFO

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:49 am

With all the new restrictions and security issues, there is almost no chance of getting in the j/s on any carrier. It is getting easier nowadays for airline crewmembers to ride in the j/s again. From 9/11 until very recently only company crewmembers would be allowed to ride up front, all other jumpseaters would have to occupy an open seat in the cabin.

Sean from MCO and IND
I Don't know where I am anymore

Checo77

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:50 am

Judging by the HUGE amount of cabin pics in a.net taken in IB, I guess (guess only...) that IB allows people to take a jumpseat ride.
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

OPNLguy

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:54 am

You might want to google 121.547, the FAR that deals with admission to flight deck....

Pilots and dispatchers of Part 121 carriers can ride their own airline's jumpseats, and those of some other airlines if they're in CASS.

Outside the USA, on non-US-registered airlines, you might be able to get access, but it varies....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

captaingomes

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:21 pm

In Canada, access to the jumpseat is restricted to company pilots, dispatchers, Transport Canada inspectors, and employees who are travelling on company business.

Unfortunately for you, it is very clear in black and white that nobody else shall have access to the flight deck during flight. Even when there is movement from the cabin to the flight deck during flight (i.e. pilot taking a washroom break or f/a entering the flight deck), they do try to block the front galley area, and communication is established between those involved.

Your only hope is with some foreign airlines, and even then the list is very small. Otherwise, get a job with an airline where you'd be expected to travel on company business from time to time.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

2H4

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:46 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 1):
In the US I know for sure that you MUST be a captain or FO with the airline you work for to have jump seat privilages.

I jumped post 9/11 without any stripes on my shoulders.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

jetdeltamsy

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:00 pm

You can forget that idea.

In the US I know for sure that you MUST be a captain or FO with the airline you work for

I believe mechanics can also ride up front, at least with some carriers.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

777ER
Crew

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:25 pm

I got a jumpseat ride last year from AKL-WLG on NZ. All I did was ask the FA when I was boarding if I could possibly have a quick talk with the pilot, the FA got me to wait while she asked and within a few minutes I was on the flightdeck and sitting in the FOs seat being showen all the gadgets and allowed to activate some of them, I then asked if it was possible to j/s and they happily said yes. The senior FA was informed that I will be riding up front and she got the j/s ready for me while I watched the pilots preparing for depature. About 5 minutes before push back the pilot stopped his checks and handed me some headphones so I could listen into ATC and showed me the volume control on the overhead panel. During the taxi while the pilot was doing his announcements he welcomed me on the flight deck.

For me it worked by just asking kindly.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

DCrawley

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:33 pm

In the US I know for sure that you MUST be a captain or FO with the airline you work for to have jump seat privilages.

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you because your statement is incorrect.
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

EMBQA

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:42 pm

The chances in the US... Zero.
The chances in Canada... not much better

The regulations (US) around this are very strict and the list of people allowed in the cockpit while in flight is VERY short. As was said above, for regulations in the US look up FAR 121.547. It's my understanding the Canadian CAB closely follows the same wording.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

2H4

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:19 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 18):
The chances in the US... Zero.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 18):
As was said above, for regulations in the US look up FAR 121.547.

According to 121.547...

Any person who has the permission of the pilot in command, an
appropriate management official of the part 119 certificate holder and
the Administrator.

...may ride in the jumpseat.

So, the chances are considerably higher than zero.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

ACDC8

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:36 pm

It is interesting by the replies from some members stating that it is impossible to get a ride on the jump seat on Canadian airlines unless you are an airline employee, etc. Yet it still happens (I know this through personal experience) despite current federal regulations and/or company policies. I managed to ride the jump seat on an AC A340 from FRA to YYC in 2003 and on a WS B732 from YYC to YLW last December. I guess the flight crew must have forgotten about the current regulations.

aa777jr

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:44 pm

Sorry if this have been covered in the previous posts, but what if a ramp rat for UA wants to jump seat on a UA flight, is possible? Just curious...

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

Goldenshield

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:47 pm

AA777jr—

Simple answer? That's a definate no.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

EMBQA

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:55 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 19):
According to 121.547...

Any person who has the permission of the pilot in command, an
appropriate management official of the part 119 certificate holder and
the Administrator.

...may ride in the jumpseat.

So, the chances are considerably higher than zero.

Try quoting the ENTIRE text......

(i) Has permission of the pilot in command, an appropriate management official of the part 119 certificate holder, and the Administrator; and

(ii) Is an employee of—

(A) The United States, or

(B) A part 119 certificate holder and whose duties are such that admission to the flightdeck is necessary or advantageous for safe operation; or

(C) An aeronautical enterprise certificated by the Administrator and whose duties are such that admission to the flightdeck is necessary or advantageous for safe operation.

Nice try.... sorry, your still wrong

[Edited 2005-10-10 08:00:23]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

aircanada014

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:56 pm

You need a parent who flies the airplane to ask the captain or the passenger agent. Before the 9/11 I used to fly in the jumpseat several times when I go with my dad when he's flying the airplane. I sat in the flight deck on DC9-30s
and B767-200s. I usually ask my dad to talk to the captain. Only three times I sat in the flight deck for the duration of the flight from ZRH to ZAG B767-200ER one way, from YFC to YQM DC9-30 and YYZ to POS B767-200ER also one way for both flights. When I go with my dad I normally fly in business class or economy class but few times in first class. Also during the flight I get to wear the headset so I can hear my dad and the captain talking to the control tower people. Oh by the way my dad worked for AC

zotan

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:22 pm

Ill be flying BA from LAX-LHR-GVA and then back again. Any chance I could j/s, or does BA not allow this?

Jeff G

Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:10 pm

Quoting AASTEW (Reply 3):
Be an airline pilot with the carrier or work for a carrier that has reciprocal J/S agreement's (CASS). Or work for B6 all employees can J/S. Also, at B6 O/A crewmember's can J/S.

Not quite. That only applies to the FA jumpseats in the cabin. The cockpit jumpseat is as restricted as everyone else's.

PipoA380

Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:28 pm

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 11):
Judging by the HUGE amount of cabin pics in a.net taken in IB, I guess (guess only...) that IB allows people to take a jumpseat ride.

Also consider some IB pilots may also be photogs for Airliners, which is the case I believe.

Then, on LX ZRH-GVA 2 days ago I went into the cockpit while boarding, just ask the F/A and he let me in. Unfortunatley there was someone who was going to take the jumpseat for that flight, the Capt. had already given the written authorisation for that flight.

In the same flight, I was sitting next to another Captain who was returning home after fliying a couple of flights from ZRH to VIE and BCN I believe, (320 and 330 capt) and he tole me he does not let someone he doesn't know in the jumpseat.

In the UK, you're not allowed anyone on the jumpseat, not even the Captain's wife. The only exception is maybe for maintenance personel or other Capt. / F/Os.

Rgds  wave 
Philippe
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

LY4XELD

Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:35 pm

You could try a maintenance flight if you have connections...I recently got on a 777 maintenance flight (heavy check flight) sitting in the left observer seat in the cockpit. What an experience!! This was all for serious, official, and no-nonsense observing of course.  Smile Also helps if you're an employee of the airline performing the flight.
That's why we're here.

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:09 pm

Out here.
If you are a Licenced personnell working in that Airline [Pilot/AME/Flight Despatcher] or a Management HOD.
Else NO.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Sabena332

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:12 pm

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Thread starter):
How on earth do you get a jumpseat ride?

Book an Air France flight and ask kindly, worked thrice for me already past 9/11.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

goaliemn

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:13 pm

I can tell you the airline I work for only allows "crew" badged employees in the cockpit jumpseat. If you work for another airline, there is a way to "Reserve" the jumpseat, both in and out of the cockpit, but I don't know the specifics on that.

I also have heard jumpseat is for commuting only, not for pleasure travel, but I can't verify that.

SuperD

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:30 pm

In the US, you may ride the jumpseat if you are Secret Service, FAA, a pilot for the airline, a dispatcher for the airline, a mechanic for the airline, a pilot for another airline if both have CASS, or an employee with an FAA-approved jumpseat card. At my airline, the jumpseat card is only given to certain members of management and interns.

You can ride the jumpseat for any reason. Interns do it just for fun, and I've done it when travelling for vacation. Pilots will often do it if the plane is full to open up a seat for a non-rev in the back. You do not have to be in uniform, but business attire is the general rule. However, the captain does have the final authority to deny the jumpseat to anyone on the list above.

2H4

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:43 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 23):

Well, seeing as I've actually done it, the chances are considerably higher than zero.

Fact.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

777STL

Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:15 am

Quoting Kevinl1011 (Reply 8):
UPS allows emloyees to ride on some routes. I wonder if smaller freight carriers offer rides. Wrap yourself in bubble pack and go as cargo. I was lucky enough to BS my way into a jump seat ride from CUN to LAX. A320. Got great video. Landing @ LAX at night is fantastic. This was pre 9-11. Left my wife back in coach. Boy, was she pissed!

UPS air crew maybe, but not regular employees.
PHX based

Allessandro

Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:27 am

Move to Europe and then when you catch a flight just ask the FA to have a quick chat with the flight crew before you enter the cabin to be seated. If you are lucky the crew will allow you to have a ride on the jumpseat. One advice... act professional, or, if you do, indicate that you work in the aviation industry ... that will increase your changes dramatically. As a former engineer and now student pilot I changed my cabin seat often for the jumpseat on most flight I was on for non-commercial reasons. In most cases even from taxi-out till taxi-in... Good luck.

wdleiser

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:08 am

Post 9/11 I was flying standbye on Continental on a Lufthansa pass thing (forgot how it worked) but I was to fly to Newark from Houston and the 3rd flight I attempted (all the flights were full) there was 1 biz first seat available and this dumb bitch FA wouldn't take jumpseat. The Gate agent was pleading with her to take it so I could get out that day. What kept happening to me was, after each flight I was put back at the end of the standbye list. My dad wound up buying me a first class seat on UAL via ORD to EWR, but the jackasses at COA put my bag on one of the flights so I had to fly without my adderall. Man was I ancy.

Also, it is pretty easy to fly JS on international carriers. I do it on Lufthansa all the time. Just not when departing or landing at a US airport

jetdeltamsy

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:00 am

Quoting Kevinl1011 (Reply 8):
UPS allows emloyees to ride on some routes.

Quoting 777STL (Reply 34):
UPS air crew maybe, but not regular employees.

Managment of UPS Airlines (the air division of UPS) may ride jumpseat. My neice is a manager for UPS Airlines @ DEC and she is allow to jumpseat.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

andrewuber

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:49 am

In the US I know for sure that you MUST be a captain or FO with the airline you work for to have jump seat privilages. Otherwise...not gonna happen. Ever.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 23):
Try quoting the ENTIRE text......

(i) Has permission of the pilot in command, an appropriate management official of the part 119 certificate holder, and the Administrator; and

(ii) Is an employee of—

(A) The United States, or

(B) A part 119 certificate holder and whose duties are such that admission to the flightdeck is necessary or advantageous for safe operation; or

(C) An aeronautical enterprise certificated by the Administrator and whose duties are such that admission to the flightdeck is necessary or advantageous for safe operation.

Evidence to the contrary:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Freight-Dawg - Airside Photography
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Freight-Dawg - Airside Photography

Try to get all the facts before you get snotty with folks here in the forum. There ARE ways of getting flight benefits. No, you cannot just go up to an aircraft and politely ask permission. It does take more than a smile, but it IS possible if you have the credentials, the connections, and if you've been through the proper background checks / no-fly list checks and other procedures.

By the way - I don't have any stripes on my shoulder either.   

[Edited 2005-10-10 23:51:16]
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

JMJAirways

Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:00 am

Hey!

Jumpseated this summer with Alitalia... had the opportunity of meeting the crew at the airport and I asked they were glad to have me in the jumpseat they said!

I think luck is the biggest factor!

Thanks to Alitalias friendly crew!

Best regards
I am willing to pay extra for a A346 flight !

ACDC8

Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:02 am

I'm willing to bet that most members who claim that riding a jumpseat is "impossible" unless this and that and stating regs and policies have neither:

(a) never asked to ride a jumpseat themselves

or

(b) always been denied

There are enough of us who are not airline employees nor do we have friends or relatives in the industry/company and yet we still are able to ride the jumpseat even after the stricter rules following 9/11. Doesn't seem very impossible to me.

SA006

Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:03 am

No views from the southern hermisphere so far , but down here in South Africa , jumpseating is easy. I've jumpseated more than a dozen times (mainly because my mother worked in the industry) , a few times post 9/11.

Best and easiest way to do it? Become a pilot...

-SA006
Proudly South African

EMBQA

Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:18 am

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 38):
Try to get all the facts before you get snotty with folks here in the forum

Freight-Dawg, the facts are FAR 121.547..!! If the flight crew chooses to violate that, that is up to them. They are the ones risking their career if caught. Now, looking at your pictures it's clear you have a connection or an 'in' as many are taken in secure SIDA areas were an escort or proper ID are required. The two you listed taken on a cargo flight make it clear you know someone that helped you get on. With the large number of Kitty Hawk pictures my guess is the connection lies there..?

[Edited 2005-10-11 00:27:09]

pilot kaz

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:03 am

Luck was on my side today!

Booked MAD-CDG-LHR around 1 and a half hours before departure..

So when I board the aircraft I ask this there is any chance of a visit like I always do you know like the pre flight visit have a chat with the pilot or the after landing visit. The FA said maybe later on.. ok no problem that's basically a no  Wink,

So 1 hour into the flight and the FA approaches me in my seat with some paper work and asks me t confirm my name, As I did he said "The captain is ready for you now" umm in flight? Like wow!, Now I expected a few mins in there or so but As I stepped in the jumpseat was being set up and I was asked to sit down in it then I was strapped in..

Captain asked me had I ever been in the jumpseat for landing before And I can honestly say I couldn't say any words because of the amount of shock that ran thought me...

Awesome experience!! My advice to get one is to just ask and you may get lucky!

Kaz
-

Goldenshield

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:08 am

Andrew—

That first photograph in the 737 was taken during a test flight operating under part 91, which is GA rules, which means that since they are not taking revenue on that flight, they don't operate under part 121.

Also, from what I understand, the rules on cargo flights are a lot more relaxed since they are not carrying passengers, and that may also have an exemption to this regulation. I'll have to look this up to verify, but I believe that person doesn't need certification, but must be employed with a part 119 carrier.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

wdleiser

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:12 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 42):

Risking their carriers? Maybe on a US airline flying in US airspace with some over patriotic passenger who complains about the patriotic law that was broken. I have flown jump seat 8 times and im only 17 and that has been in the past 2 years, twice landing in Frankfurt, Once departing Frankfurt, once landing in Cairo, once Departing Caire, once Landing in Johannesburg, and once departing Johannesburg. I highly doubt a Lufthansa Captain's career would be in jeapordy if the senior management found out. It is a known concept and happends all the time. It is only in US territory that I cannot be jumpseat on Lufthansa and I understand that.

EMBQA

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:26 am

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 45):
Risking their carriers? Maybe on a US airline flying in US airspace with some over patriotic passenger who complains about the patriotic law that was broken.

Two things you have wrong... FAR 121.547 is not new. It dates back to the early 1970's. Two, I know of one case were the gate agent at the arrival airport reported the violation. They fired the flight crew, the flight attendent, the employee in the jumpseat and the departure gate agent. How did they know..? When 35 passangers get off a 34 passanger airplane, you have a problem.

[Edited 2005-10-11 01:28:13]

wdleiser

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:28 am

Tell me the latest firing of a crew Post 9/11 on a significant carrier.

ASFlyer

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:33 am

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 38):
There ARE ways of getting flight benefits. No, you cannot just go up to an aircraft and politely ask permission. It does take more than a smile, but it IS possible if you have the credentials, the connections, and if you've been through the proper background checks / no-fly list checks and other procedures.

There is no way of getting on any U.S. commercial passenger airliner without being either a Pilot of that or another U.S. airline, or a dispatcher. Certain company officials may also ride on the jumpseats of their own airlines aircraft. Anything beyond that is a violation of FAA guidelines and the Captain risks losing his license by allowing someone else on the jumpseat, connections or not.

ASFlyer

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:36 am

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 45):
Risking their carriers? Maybe on a US airline flying in US airspace with some over patriotic passenger who complains about the patriotic law that was broken. I have flown jump seat 8 times and im only 17 and that has been in the past 2 years, twice landing in Frankfurt, Once departing Frankfurt, once landing in Cairo, once Departing Caire, once Landing in Johannesburg, and once departing Johannesburg. I highly doubt a Lufthansa Captain's career would be in jeapordy if the senior management found out. It is a known concept and happends all the time. It is only in US territory that I cannot be jumpseat on Lufthansa and I understand that.

This coming from a 17 year old that lists Executive as his occupation in his profile. Executive of what? The school cafeteria?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos