YANQUI67

Mystery Plane Found At Briscoe Field, GA

Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:58 pm

A stolen airplane mysteriously showed up at Briscoe Field in Lawrenceville this past weekend, but no one knows where it came from or how it got there.

Investigators know someone piloted the plane, owned by St. Augustine, Fla.-based Pinnacle Aviation from there to Gwinnett County, but they say they have no idea as to who.

Police say the 1995 Cessna Citation arrived at Briscoe Field sometime between 9 p.m. Saturday and 6:30 a.m. Sunday.

The airplane’s owners say they will be in Georgia to pick up the plane on Tuesday. Police say they are investigating all the leads at their disposal.
http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=70342

The aircraft reg is N182PA. I just saw the report on the local news channel.
Gus Anaya

AR1300

RE: Mystery Plane Found At Briscoe Field, GA

Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:04 pm

how do you steal a multimillion dollar jet and nobody realizes???

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

OPNLguy

Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:14 pm

Quoting AR1300 (Reply 1):

..in the dead of night, when there's nobody around. The airport is unattended from midnight to 6:00 am....

Gee, I wonder if somebody was transporting drugs...?  Yeah sure
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

litz

Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:47 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 2):
Quoting AR1300 (Reply 1):

..in the dead of night, when there's nobody around. The airport is unattended from midnight to 6:00 am....

Gee, I wonder if somebody was transporting drugs...? Yeah sure

Well, if that's indeed what they were up to, they sure did it in style ...

What's next, a BBJ?

- litz

dogfighter2111

Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:52 pm

I think that just proves how easy it is for a terrorist to steal a Jet. They could easily go their, steal a few a/c and go wherever they want.

Thanks
Mike

legacytravel

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:01 pm

What is the to prevent a terrorist cell from buying a aircraft from the desert packing it full of explosives and taking out an entire city?? Is the some kind of regulation before you can purchase a aircraft??? I mean a 747 full of explosives would be quite deadly.
Mark in MKE
I love the smell of Jet fuel in the Morning

HAWK21M

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:51 pm

in the dead of night, when there's nobody around. The airport is unattended from midnight to 6:00 am....

Isn't there Security at Airfields.
Wonder if the Thief checked if there was fuel on board  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

scbriml

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:58 pm

Quoting Legacytravel (Reply 5):
What is the to prevent a terrorist cell from buying a aircraft from the desert packing it full of explosives and taking out an entire city?? Is the some kind of regulation before you can purchase a aircraft??? I mean a 747 full of explosives would be quite deadly.

This can be prevented by simply banning all flights. No, wait....  no 

There isn't much that can be done to prevent many potential terrorist acts. Try not to lose too much sleep over it though.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

RAMPRAT980

Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:36 pm

our skies are not safe.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

goaliemn

Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:50 pm

Quoting Legacytravel (Reply 5):

Other than someone going out to buy a 747 as an individual would throw up so many flags and the seller would probably report it as suspicious, no.

You can do a heck of alot of damage with a rider truck and detonate it full of explosives. Its easier to "sneak into" an area than a jet, and doesn't require training to fly it.

Everyone keeps focusing on planes. I'm sure terrorists are looking at other options since they are being watched much more than before.

RL757PVD

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:24 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 6):

Gwinnett County/ Briscoe Field (LZU) is my home airport, where i do my recreational flying. They do not have airline service so the level of security isnt as high, but there is full fencing there. Its not super easy, but it can be done. The place where security really was the issue was At Augustine (SGJ). This definately shows just how vulnerable General and Corporate Aviation is.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

LVTMB

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:45 pm

Quoting Yanqui67 (Thread starter):
Investigators know someone piloted the plane,

Interesting investigative conclusion. Maybe too preliminary?  laughing 

MB

AA717driver

Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:28 pm

If someone bought a plane out of the desert, the people flying it and those under the departure path would be the only ones in danger...TC
FL450, M.85

BigOrange

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:15 am

Quoting AA717driver (Reply 12):
If someone bought a plane out of the desert, the people flying it and those under the departure path would be the only ones in danger...TC

But what about the people in the city that a terrorist is planning to attack?

IMHO, if they filed a flight plan to HNL or somewhere, an aircraft could be overhead LA before anyone knew there was a problem and F-16's were scrambled.

oly720man

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:26 am

wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

BlueSky1976

Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:10 am

Geez...

The thief was probably a professional pilot.

1) He knew how to fly a jet-engined plane.
2) He probably flew a VFR with transponder on - otherwise if the transponder was not on then the military jets would have been scrambled to intercept him.
3) He flew out of airport closed at night into another airport closed at night.
4) Like somebody mentioned - he was probably involved in some drug trafficking.

That's it.

Terrorists probably would not use the planes for their next attack as a result of a 9/11. The next attack will not use planes. More than likely, it will involve either chemical, biological or nuclear weapon detonated in a major metropolitan area.
POLAND IS UNDER DICTATORSHIP. PLEASE SUPPORT COMMITTEE FOR DEFENSE OF DEMOCRACY, K.O.D.

gritzngravee

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:31 am

It's not hard to steal large equipment like a private plane, the A train here in NYC was stolen twice by the same teenager. not only did he steal the train he had an ID badge to enter the train yard and the quipment to drive the train. They later figured out he was being mentored by another train operator. The only reason they caught him, his speed was to high entering a turn coming into the 3rd to last stop on the A line. For those of you who have never been on the A train, it starts in Washington Heights Inwood Ave. and 178th St I believe(section of Manhattan) and stops in Far Rockaway, for those of you familiar with JFK. Look at the distance between those two points of Wash heights and Far Rock. Safety measures can only prevent up to a certain point.

And no one thought they'd go after the WTC again right (1993 and finally 9/11/2001)?!!!??!!!! Planes will aways be an option. That's one of the stretegies the terrorists seem to excel in, we did it before they think we won't do it again, so let's do it again. These people aren't brilliant or else they would be doing something a lot more challenging rather than easily blowing unexpected innocent people to pieces.

They seem to have the logic of our top idiot I mean President.

irelayer

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:47 am

Quoting Goaliemn (Reply 9):
What is the to prevent a terrorist cell

What is to prevent a terrorist cell from doing just about anything?

Don't think that way or you will end up being a very paranoid person.

-IR

ltbewr

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:48 am

Remember earlier this year when some drunken young men stole a 1 engined Cessna a/c during the night in CT and flew around for a few hours and landed safely at Westchester County Airport? I believe the lead drunk used to work at the airport where they stole the a/c from and apparently knew how to fly a little. He is facing serious charges on the State and Federal level. The airport he landed at is only 20 miles or so from mid-town Manhattan.
The problem as to stolen aircraft isn't so by much organized terrorists, but rather nut cases, those with a grudge or drunks, like the kid (and apparent ex-a.netter!) in Tampa a few years back who flew into a building and killed himself. Still, there are still concerns that terrorists could steal a small crop duster a/c and dispirse hazardous chemicals over some areas or pack a small g/a full of explosives and fly into a target.

Av8rDAL

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:04 am

Quoting Gritzngravee (Reply 16):
Planes will aways be an option.

Yes, but only large ones capable of carrying a load of fuel would be most effective in an attack capable of bringing down a building.

To cause such damage, it would be far easier for a terrorist to rent a truck and pack it full of explosives or something worse. Any idiot can go rent a U-haul truck up to 26' long with a standard drivers' license. I think the next attack will take this form. General Aviation is not enough. Commercial aviation is much more secure now (at least I hope).
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

PPVRA

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:05 am

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 15):
2) He probably flew a VFR with transponder on - otherwise if the transponder was not on then the military jets would have been scrambled to intercept him.

How did ATC not see them approaching/taking-off from the "wrong" airport?

Quoting Goaliemn (Reply 9):

You can do a heck of alot of damage with a rider truck and detonate it full of explosives. Its easier to "sneak into" an area than a jet, and doesn't require training to fly it.

I wonder how you are gonna go about flying the truck with or without training  Wink

Cheers
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

MarshalN

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:06 am

Just get over it..... this is in some ways not that much different from a stolen car. Like someone said, a rental truck packed full of explosives detonating in the middle of Manhattan can easily cause more damage than any rogue plane, and it really isn't that obvious when you have a Budget truck in the middle of midtown -- there are tonnes of them and nobody will pay attention. Who will know? Then what, you stop all trucks from entering Manhattan? There's really only so much you can do. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. There are so many second hand trucks on sale it's not even funny. I guess the hard part is getting enough explosives.

gritzngravee

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:10 am

Truck with explosives, eg. Timothy McVeigh. I wonder if the military are going to do post psychiatric examinations of those who return from Iraq. McVeigh served in Desert Storm 1991 and displayed his disdainment for the US a couple of years later, he wasn't a part of an Islamic terror cell!!!!!!!!!!!

litz

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:22 am

An update on the investigation .... the plane was discovered yesterday afternoon ... it had been properly parked and secured after landing. The airport manager noticed it on a walkabout and didn't recognize it.

The interior has been searched and sniffed (by dogs) and no drugs or drug residue was found.

The FAA is searching through ATC records to see if there's a transponder record of the flight ... apparently there was no flight plan filed (surprise).

IMHO, the FAA data's just gonna tell us time it took off, route, and time it landed ... presumably they did have the transponder turned on; otherwise, if the ATC and military sources didn't go nuts, something's seriously wrong w/the post 9-11 policies and procedures.

- litz

Hslightnin

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:59 am

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 21):
How did ATC not see them approaching/taking-off from the "wrong" airport?

why should they be looking? it was just a flight from A to B.
The plane wasnt reported stolen

Quoting Litz (Reply 23):
ATC and military sources didn't go nuts, something's seriously wrong w/the post 9-11 policies and procedures.

since when do you need a transpoder to fly? Theres NOTHING wrong with the policies and procedures dealing with this incedent.

PPVRA

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:35 am

Quoting Hslightnin (Reply 24):

Shouldn't someone be looking to make sure planes stick to their flight plans? I mean we are not dealing with an ultralight here--this guy could have flown into the state congress or something and caused some real damage.

Cheers

JBirdAV8r

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting Hslightnin (Reply 24):
since when do you need a transpoder to fly? Theres NOTHING wrong with the policies and procedures dealing with this incedent.

Sure there is, with the ground security at SGJ.

Otherwise, no. Perfectly legal to fly VFR at night (obviously under FL180) with no flight plan...
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

legacytravel

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:42 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 7):
Try not to lose too much sleep over it though.

I wont and I dont. I just was curious about this subject for a long time/
Mark in MKE
I love the smell of Jet fuel in the Morning

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:46 am

Well.. LZU is within the 30 mile Mode C veil of ATL.... so you do need a xponder to fly into there.  Wink
Chicks dig winglets.

robsawatsky

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:09 am

It seems several posters severely overestimate the controls placed on General Aviation flights. Yes, in areas busy with commercial aviation, an aircraft that hasn't checked-in with air traffic control would raise some concern, but there are certainly many places where flying around in your plane isn't that much more controlled than driving around in your car for a Sunday afternoon drive with no particular destination in mind. Perhaps even less controlled since you aren't constrained to where the roads go. Nevermind what happens at private airstrips.

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:53 am

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

omoo

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:10 am

Media outlets here are suggesting that the pilot knew that the airport's tower would be closed at certain hours and the wing is slightly dinged.
Fly Air Popobawa

twincommander

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:18 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 6):
Wonder if the Thief checked if there was fuel on board

at HIO we lack proper security and i have delt with 2 different times where someone unauthorized was on airport/fbo property and had to have the police remove both offenders. i was told that the Port of Portland police from PDX are supposed to patrol our field at least once a night, but have failed to even see police cars around my area of the airport.

the port is "aware" of the situation but have failed to take any steps suggesting the tenants to be vigilent.

YANQUI67

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:55 am

Today I went to LZU and took some pictures of N182PA. I was a real dumba$$ because before I was there I went to the Atlanta Thrashers practice to see Ilya Kulvechuck practice for the first time this season. I had the ISO set to 1600 since the rink was dark. When I got to the airport I was so worried about setting the camera to RAW that I forgot to change it back to ISO 200 (Nikon D70) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I got some nice grainy freaking pictures, Highly pissed.
Gus Anaya

Tornado82

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:44 am

4) Like somebody mentioned - he was probably involved in some drug trafficking.

Sounds very similar to this from the King Air 40th anniversary site, about a drug-runner pilot.
http://www.raytheonaircraft.com/beec...craft/king_air_40th/stories.shtml#

No drug residue on the craft may just mean they had it well enough sealed.

PPVRA

Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:52 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 34):

But why would they need to ship drugs with an aircraft from St. Augustine to of all places Atlanta? Too risky and it's just a ~10 hour drive.

Cheers

777wt

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:16 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 34):

I thought it was nearly impossible to seal it good. Hell I've seen police dogs find drugs inside a 18 wheeler diesel fuel tank, another would be inside the tires of a car. One was found inside an engine too!

PIA777

Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:36 pm

This is very scary especially post 911. Homeland security is not working.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

Tornado82

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:36 pm

Quoting 777WT (Reply 36):
I thought it was nearly impossible to seal it good. Hell I've seen police dogs find drugs inside a 18 wheeler diesel fuel tank, another would be inside the tires of a car. One was found inside an engine too!

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 35):
But why would they need to ship drugs with an aircraft from St. Augustine to of all places Atlanta? Too risky and it's just a ~10 hour drive.

Calm down folks... I said "may just mean," I wasn't being a definitive expert on this.

TedTAce

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:50 pm

Quoting Yanqui67 (Reply 33):
I was so worried about setting the camera to RAW that I forgot to change it back to ISO 200 (Nikon D70) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PKB WARNING: I guess this is further evidence that even the best cameras require thought.
This space intentionally left blank

goaliemn

Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:08 am

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 37):
This is very scary especially post 911. Homeland security is not working.

You will never completely secure everything. Its just the way it is. You can't impliment airline-type security at all airports. Remember, there are many times more general aviation flights in a day than commercial, and more general aviation planes. There are thousands of small airports, including some with a dirt runway and no hangars. The current infrastructure couldn't handle every single plane on flight plans, plus in most of the US airspace, under 10,000 ft, a transponder isn't required. Making it required would result in thousands of airplanes being grounded, due to the expense, plus some planes don't have electrical systems, so they are currently exempted from the rule, even when in areas requiring transponders.

atct

Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:30 am

The day they regulate General Aviation Flying is the day I pack my bags, move to alaska, buy a super cub and say screw the world. The skies are no safer or worse off than they were before. People get all hyped about "security" and "terrorism"., guess what, if someone wants to do something bad enough, theyre gonna find a way to do it no matter what. End of story. There are many times after a long day at work, I walk into the flight school, look at the schedule, see a plane open, go out, start er up, go fly around for a bit, come back and plop the keys back down on the desk and fill out a time sheet, didnt talk to anyone once. trying to regulate old man joe form flying his 172 around the patch and over to podunk airport for breakfast with the boys is impossible and frankly, absurd.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

HAWK21M

Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:58 am

Quoting ATCT (Reply 41):
I walk into the flight school, look at the schedule, see a plane open, go out, start er up, go fly around for a bit, come back and plop the keys back down on the desk and fill out a time sheet, didnt talk to anyone once

Amazing.
Out here thats just not Thinkable.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

theunclesam

Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:38 am

Quoting ATCT (Reply 41):
The day they regulate General Aviation Flying is the day I pack my bags, move to alaska, buy a super cub and say screw the world. The skies are no safer or worse off than they were before. People get all hyped about "security" and "terrorism"., guess what, if someone wants to do something bad enough, theyre gonna find a way to do it no matter what. End of story. There are many times after a long day at work, I walk into the flight school, look at the schedule, see a plane open, go out, start er up, go fly around for a bit, come back and plop the keys back down on the desk and fill out a time sheet, didnt talk to anyone once. trying to regulate old man joe form flying his 172 around the patch and over to podunk airport for breakfast with the boys is impossible and frankly, absurd.

YES! Finally someone with some sense around here! Welcome to my respected users list! And do please let me know if you need a partner in on that Cub Big grin

Quote:
Amazing.
Out here thats just not Thinkable.
regds
MEL

Out here, it used to be one of the perks of living in America. Now we're getting our freedom stripped away. America, land of the ______?
"So what's your robot do?" "Collects data about the surrounding enviroment. Then drives into walls."

PPVRA

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:59 am

Quoting ATCT (Reply 41):

Agree 100%. But a Cessna Citation is a bit different in my view.

Big, heavy and potentially VERY dangerous. Not to mention drug smuggling being one major concern for them to be tracked.

Quoting Theunclesam (Reply 43):

Out here, it used to be one of the perks of living in America. Now we're getting our freedom stripped away. America, land of the ______?

No one is banning anything, it's just regulation in the name of safety.

Cheers

beefstew25

Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:21 am

MLB: Where you are always number one for takeoff.....

wjcandee

Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:33 am

Hmmmmm.....

Lemme guess. It was a guy giving his college friends a ride back from school. And of course the friends couldn't keep their mouths shut.

FriendlySkies

Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:48 am

I wonder if he's related to the idiot who put small explosives inside one of our dorms at Tech...happened on the same day. Of course that was a student...

I am interested in how he managed to start and fly the plane having no experience in that type.

beefstew25

Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:51 am

Sounds about right. Raise the gear and drop the soap. He is about to be someone's biatch!!!!
MLB: Where you are always number one for takeoff.....

OPNLguy

Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:21 am

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 45):
Looks like they found the culprit:

Wonder if he's an A.netter.....

He can kiss his commercial license goodbye...

[Edited 2005-10-12 23:41:43]