leginmat

Which Runway In Use?

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:21 am

Hello,

I've started to visit my local airport (Adelaide Intl, Australia) and only started bringing my camera along with me.

As a result of my father having to drive to the other side of the runway, I missed the only 'big' arrival that morning and I was quite disappointed as I woke up at 6 am just for that arrival.

I was just wondering how you guys determine which runway is in use? I have access to online wind forecasts but I have no clue how to use that data and figure out what runway to head to. I just want to be prepared next time  Wink I also have a scanner but we haven't figured how to operate the thing yet as it was bought second hand and did not come with a manual. Your help will be appreciated!

Cheers,
Nigel
leginmat

oly720man

RE: Which Runway In Use?

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:49 am

In general, aircraft will land into wind so if you know the wind direction that should tell you the runway.

As for the Scanner, there may be online versions of the manual to download if you're lucky. Otherwise there will be radio ham groups with people who could assist. Really you just need to know the airport frequencies and how to program them into the scanner.

Andy
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

corey07850

RE: Which Runway In Use?

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:50 am

Runway Wind is given my it's magnetic direction.... Your runway "number" is based on its magnetic direction as well... For example Runway 36 would have a magnetic heading of 360 (add a 0 to the runway number)... 360 is north.

Since aircraft take off into the wind, if you have a wind of 360 (from the north) and runway 36 (Heading north), the planes will use this runway....

In more simple terms, find the direction the wind is coming from, and find the runway that is heading in that direction