Gnomon
Topic Author

New Aircraft: Financed Or Leased?

Mon May 15, 2000 6:41 am

This is gonna be an interesting question; I hope someone knows the answer.

In perusing several online commercial aircraft censuses, and cross-checking several registrations with the FAA's N-number database, I find that many Boeing aircraft are technically "owned" by WTCI, (actually Wilmington Trust Co., Inc.), which I believe is a bank. Is WTCI the bank Boeing uses for operators to finance new aircraft, or is it a lessor like ILFC, Guiness-Peat, etc.?

What my question boils down to is: Are aircraft owned by WTCI aircraft on which the operator is making payments, or are they leased?

Gnomon
Topic Author

Addendum

Mon May 15, 2000 11:40 am

No takers yet? I have an addendum. How are new aircraft financed?
Many thanks for any info anyone can provide.

WorldTraveller

RE: New Aircraft: Financed Or Leased?

Mon May 15, 2000 6:39 pm

Most aircrafts are leased, but that depends on the airline. I've heard that AA has 80% leased aircrafts.
Does anybody have other numbers?

Regards

acvitale

Mon May 15, 2000 10:54 pm

Wilmington Trust Bank as a registered owner could be either owned and financed thru the bank or leased and the aircraft financed thru the bank. Hence it is difficult to determine based on that factor. Another note is that Guiness Peat Leasing is no longer in existance as an independent entity to my recollection. I believe they got bought out.

Companies like GECAS or ILFC can finance an aircraft from assets or they may choose to use lines of credit and finance from a bank or investor fund (ie Polaris Aircraft Leasing now part of GECAS).

I know this does not provide the definative answer you were looking for but, It is the way this crazy business works.

Mon May 15, 2000 11:00 pm

Acvitale is right, Wilmington Trust Co is simply a trust acting on behalf of banks, leasing companies, etc. They act as trustee for many items, not just aircraft.

sammyk

Mon May 15, 2000 11:04 pm

Wasn't Guinness-Peat Aviation (GPA) taken over by GECAS?

Sammy