Shamrock330
Topic Author

Mannion-proposing Oneworld Withdrawel!

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:13 pm

According to an article in the Irish Times (13/10/2005) , Aer lingus ceo Dermot Mannion is to voice his scepticism about membership of the oneworld alliance.The bi-anual event is to be held in Dallas next month.
Ba chief Willie Walsh is ironically likely to voice his objections to this "walk out" by EI as they provide a steady stream of traffic to Ba's long haul network at Heathrow.
However ,mannion will not want to cut all ties with AA as they have talked of opening up to 50 new U.S routes in the event that the irish gov gets rid of the restrictive bi-lateral agreement.
Interesting times ahead!

kiwiandrew

RE: Mannion-proposing Oneworld Withdrawel!

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:18 pm

Quoting Shamrock330 (Thread starter):
as they have talked of opening up to 50 new U.S routes in the event that the irish gov gets rid of the restrictive bi-lateral agreement.

50!! - one to each state ?? or is that meant to say 5 new US routes

Shamrock330
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:22 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 1):
50!! - one to each state ?? or is that meant to say 5 new US routes

Nope , it says 50 new U.S routes .....i was amazed as you are.However common sense tells me that it must be a mis-print. Big grin

HAJFlyer

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:26 pm

Quoting Shamrock330 (Thread starter):
will not want to cut all ties with AA as they have talked of opening up to 50 new U.S routes in the event that the irish gov gets rid of the restrictive bi-lateral agreement

I would assume that this number includes destinations served by Air Lingus PLUS destinations reached through connecting AA-operated codeshare flights.

Toulouse

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:32 pm

So here we go again with leaving Oneworld. I really didn't think DM would follow Willie's previous attempt/suggestions on leaving Oneworld... I've also recently noticed the emphasis on the "Welcome abourd your Aer Lingus OneWorld flight to..." on announcements of EI flights over the past year after a period in which they seemed to surpress any mention of Oneworld...
Long live Aer Lingus!

commavia

Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:02 pm

Would not be surprised at all. Now that EI has become a quasi-LCC, and AA is now flying nonstop from the U.S. to both DUB and SNN, EI now serves virtually no network purpose in oneworld. As the OP said, they do feed tons of longhaul passengers into BA at LHR, but they really bring nothing meaningful to the alliance's network that BA does not also serve.

Aisak

Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:34 am

The problem is the little EI integration with others OW members... EI only codeshares with AA and BA.... IB ops 1x daily MAD-DUB and 1x BCN-DUB... same on EI side but these flights are not codeshared while they complement each other (IB early in the morning and EI in the evening)

Access to lounge facilities is also very limited due to lack of Biz class on EI....

But one thing i take for sure.. EI has survived Ryanair mostly thanks to going LCC and because of being OW....

Eirules

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:19 am

I think it would be a shame if EI left OneWorld. But I do agree that EI should be codesharing with more OneWorld carriers. As Aisak said why are there not EI and IB codes on the 2x daily flights from DUB-MAD and DUB-BCN not to mention IB codes on the other EI flights to Spain like Valencia, Malaga, Alicante, Bilbao etc. Also the AA flights into Ireland like the way AA has its code on EI flights. And why not BA DUB-LGW and DUB-Glasgow?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

shamrock350

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:28 am

I agree that Aer Lingus should be codesharing with a lot more OneWorld carriers. Like EIRules has said why is there no DUB-LGW DUB Glasgow?
It would be a dream if Aer Lingus opened 50 new routes in the U.S but it must be a mistake. I there any news on new fleet or routes, it was going to be announced this month.

EI321

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:46 am

Quoting HAJFlyer (Reply 3):
I would assume that this number includes destinations served by Air Lingus PLUS destinations reached through connecting AA-operated codeshare flights.

Theres no way they could launch 50. I did hear Willie Walsh did mention a figure of 'up to 20' on TV before. I think 8-10 is more realistic.

Quoting Commavia (Reply 5):
As the OP said, they do feed tons of longhaul passengers into BA at LHR, but they really bring nothing meaningful to the alliance's network that BA does not also serve.

Regarding AA codeshares, EI do have a good and growing european network at more affordable prices than BA, and Dublin is the 3rd most popular city in Europe for tourists to visit, after London and Paris.

anxebla

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:52 am

If EI leaves OW is their own mistake. But if EI doesn't want be an OW member ...is OK.

Quoting EIRules (Reply 7):
As Aisak said why are there not EI and IB codes on the 2x daily flights from DUB-MAD

Last year --summer 2004-- I flew MAD-DUB-MAD with EI. That flight was an IB/EI codeshare. I was pretty odd to me when I realized there is not longer an EI/IB codeshare. I wonder why not.
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

ikramerica

Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:33 am

Welcome to SkyTeam, EI!

I mean, they are a two class airline, and would fit better with CO, VS, DL, NW, etc. than they do with OneWorld in Europe.

okay, AF has 3 classes, on some of their planes, but AF is huge!
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

shamrock350

Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:29 pm

Wow Aer Lingus in Skyteam that would be cool. How would they fit in with their Europe low cost style? Would that matter?