BA
Topic Author

MEA Planning To Acquire More Aircraft

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:23 pm

The national carrier of Lebanon currently has an extremely modern fleet of 9 aircraft consisting of 6 Airbus A321-200s and 3 Airbus A330-200s.

For about a year now, it's been rumored that MEA is eyeing a 4th A330-200 to allow them to increase their Paris service from the current daily A321-200 and daily A330-200 to twice daily A330-200.

This aircraft addition will also allow them to increase frequencies on other markets.

Well this rumor was officially confirmed by MEA's CEO, Mohammed El-Hout a couple days ago.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article....n_id=1&categ_id=3&article_ID=19178

While the article does not specify any details, this additional aircraft will indeed be an A330-200.

We should hear an order for this aircraft soon.

I have also heard about plans to acquire a couple additional narrowbody aircraft in the future, but these are at a later stage.

There are plans to create a joint Lebanese/Syrian regional airline operating two 50-seat turboprops called Phoenician Airlines. They are looking at either Dash 8-300s, ATR 42/72s, or AN-140s.

Initially it will operates flights between Beirut and Damascus as well as to Aleppo from both Beirut and Damascus. At later points, the airline will operate flights to Iraq, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, and Cyprus.

It will be 25% owned by MEA, 25% owned by Syrian Air, and the remaining 50% will be owned by private investers (Lebanese, Syrian, and others).

MEA will be one of the eight Arab airlines forming the regional airline alliance, Arabesk which will be launched early next year.

I think it is very possible that MEA will become A350 customer in the future. Especially if it plans flights to North America one day...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vatche Mitilian
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vatche Mitilian

http://www.mea.com.lb

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

777ER
Crew

RE: MEA Planning To Acquire More Aircraft

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:44 pm

I'm expecting this order to be in airbuses bag already. Maybe a few A350s to replace the A330s, even thou the A330s are not that old
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

BA
Topic Author

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:51 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 1):
Maybe a few A350s to replace the A330s, even thou the A330s are not that old

Like I said, it's an order for one A330.

Their three A330s were delivered in summer 2003. It's not even time to be thinking about replacing them.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

777ER
Crew

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:57 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 2):
Their three A330s were delivered in summer 2003. It's not even time to be thinking about replacing them.

Airbus could offer them some A350s instead of A330 orders. MEA could order more then one A330 thou later
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

BA
Topic Author

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:36 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 3):
Airbus could offer them some A350s instead of A330 orders. MEA could order more then one A330 thou later

MEA needs the 4th aircraft soon.

The first A350 won't be delivered until 2010, so the order will have to be an A330.

In the future, they can order A350s as part of a big expansion.

Regards

Leskova

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:03 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 3):
Airbus could offer them some A350s instead of A330 orders.

They could, and I don't think that the A350 won't be mentioned in the negotiations - but, as BA says, this is more about what MEA needs now: and with the fleet they currently have, they can easily last several years, if they stopped wanting to have a very new fleet they could even last quite a bit above a decade with their current fleet.

There's no necessity for them to abandon their current fleet already, they have more than enough time to decide when and whether they want A350s - at the moment, it seems, they're more interested in achieving a steady. sustainable, growth than in headline-grabbing orders.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

OD720

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:35 pm

The political climate nowadays signals that MEA may be allowed to fly to North America once again so they may need an additional plane or two.

yegbey01

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:15 pm

if everything falls in place, you should see MEA aircraft blessing the runways of YUL, JFK and DET probably in 06.

It's maybe time for a couple of A332's and hopefully A319s which I think MEA needs so bad.

md90fan

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:17 pm

Could a route to JFK or YYZ work in the future?
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

Brasuca

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:05 am

Is the current fleet owned by MEA or are the aircraft leased?

Quoting BA (Thread starter):
I think it is very possible that MEA will become A350 customer in the future. Especially if it plans flights to North America one day...

And to Brazil !!!  bigthumbsup 
When MEA carried out studies about flying to Brazil, I remember they claimed the route would get losses in the first three years. So, couldn't they order the A350 for 2010 aiming to restart flights to Brazil and Australia?
Varig, Varig, Varig

BA
Topic Author

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:33 am

Quoting OD720 (Reply 6):
The political climate nowadays signals that MEA may be allowed to fly to North America once again so they may need an additional plane or two.

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 7):
if everything falls in place, you should see MEA aircraft blessing the runways of YUL, JFK and DET probably in 06.

I think this is a bit optimistic Yegbey01.

I don't see US flights happening for a long time, for other political issues you probably are aware of.

However, I could see Canada flights happening.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 8):
Could a route to JFK or YYZ work in the future?

YUL is the likely candidate for Canada as it has an extremely large Lebanese population. MEA has mentioned in the past its interest to serve Canada at some point in the future.

MEA would like to serve JFK, but the current politics aren't going to allow them to do so and I think it'll be a while before it changes.

Quoting Brasuca (Reply 9):
Is the current fleet owned by MEA or are the aircraft leased?

The 6 A321s are owned, while the 3 A330s are leased. This 4th A330 will be either owned or leased depending on the market conditions.

And to Brazil !!!
When MEA carried out studies about flying to Brazil, I remember they claimed the route would get losses in the first three years.

This is correct which is why I think they backed out of the idea.

So, couldn't they order the A350 for 2010 aiming to restart flights to Brazil and Australia?

Perhaps, and they have time to think about it. I do see them ordering the A350 one day, but I think it will be a while before they do so.

I should also mention that next month, MEA is increasing frequencies on Riyadh (RUH) and Abu Dhabi (AUH) from 4x weekly to 5x weekly. This is certainly good news, especially RUH. The Saudi government has restricted MEA to only 4 weekly flights, but it seems they've increased it to 5 weekly.

I know one of the goals of acquiring the 4th A330-200 is to free up the A321-200 that operates the red-eye Paris flight. Instead, this A321-200 will be used to increase frequencies on its Gulf routes and the A330-200 will also be used to increase frequencies when it is not flying to Paris.

Mohammed El-Hout mentioned that MEA's future expansion plans are focused on increasing frequencies on the Gulf routes which are very profitable for them.

Regards

[Edited 2005-10-15 21:44:32]

FlySSC

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:16 am

Keep on dreaming Guys....

More likely to see MEA's Airbus landing on the moon rather than in North America
I pay Champagne to all of you if any regular MEA flight lands in YUL/DTW/JFK/GIG/GRU/SYD in 2006 ... champagne 

hopefully A319s which I think MEA needs so bad.

THAT makes sense !
MEA needs definately to increase its short/medium haul fleet with A318/A319/A320 to increase frequencies of its flights to the Gulf and use the A332 to Europe & West Africa.

BA
Topic Author

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:36 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 11):
THAT makes sense !
MEA needs definately to increase its short/medium haul fleet with A318/A319/A320 to increase frequencies of its flights to the Gulf and use the A332 to Europe & West Africa.

Unfortunately it seems like additional narrowbody aircraft are still a long ways off. The rumor about MEA acquiring a 4th A330 has been roaming for quite a while and now it is confirmed.

The rumor about MEA acquiring 1 or 2 narrowbody aircraft is new and it seems like it won't materialize for a couple years.

Regards

od-bwh

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:01 am

Hi,
I've read in an interview Al-Hayat Newspaper had with Hout that the airline is financially able to purchase two more aircraft, but don't think they are willing to do so in the current situation. He's even said that, unlike other airlines in the region (probably meaning EK, QR and EY), the airline will not acquire equipment before securing the proper utilization of them.

Quoting 777ER (Reply 1):
I'm expecting this order to be in airbuses bag already. Maybe a few A350s to replace the A330s, even thou the A330s are not that old

When they did the deal, MEA purchased the A321's since they fit the short-haul market strategy for the airline, while leasing the A330's. This is due to the fact that its long-haul market strategy was still not finalized, and this would have been done should they've secured a buyer or joined an alliance. Failing to do so, or at least, say due to the current situation in Lebanon, things might go in a different direction. Who knows! So even if they're interested in the A350, the A330's shouldn't be a problem at all!

and hopefully A319s which I think MEA needs so bad.

I beleive the A319 don't fit the provisions of carriers in the middle east. the sector in this area is different than that in Europe or the US. Passengers in the ME seek to fly with luxury, having PTV's, onboard meals, and more utilities... Flying an A319 in such prospects is not so profitable I guess! That's why the airline got rid of their A320's in favor of the A321's, Which has relatively low operational costs, yet high yields.. Correct me if i'm wrong!

Reg'ds
OD-BWH
A300, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B734, B738, B744, B772, B773, B788, F70, MD11, CRJ7, CRJ2, Q400

yegbey01

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:42 am

OD-BWH.....I really think you are missing the point. Can you explain to me why Air Arabia has ben successful if everybody wants the luxury...and how is the A319 different from the A321?

MEA could utilize the A319s on routes (in both the middle east and Europe) that could not be operated with the A321s.

the 321's provide more capacity to routes that do not require additional frequency like it is in North America and Europe

AF022

Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:46 pm

Wasn't there talk a while ago of MEA operating more flights to Africa, like Cotonou or Conaky or Dakar? Is that now over? It seemed ridiculous at the time.

OD720

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:31 pm

Since we are discussing the A319, MEA has not owned any type of aircraft in that capacity for more than 30 years. I always asked myself the question why they never ordered the 727 and the 737 during the 707/720 days?
The A320 was the smallest airliner they ever used during this period.
In the 80s, when they were looking to modernize their fleet and find a replacement for the 707s, they looked exclusively at the A310 and 767 and chose the former.

Will they ever get a A319 size aircraft? I hope so but maybe the mentality in not there.

Blondie75

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:15 pm

If one airline had a huge potential, this was MEA.

It makes me sad to see that MEA is not yet a grand actor of the airline companies (even though it's only been about 10 years that the "civil" war came to an end) whereas companies such as EK keep endlessly growing.

- With such an important Lebanese community abroad in most continents,
- With a good geographical position for making BEY a hub (as DXB has now become),
- With the possibility of exploring lucrative niches with few competition for the moment (such as in Africa where exactly EK plans to add frequencies...),

=>MEA has potentially all assets to be a big one.

Let's hope the regional (and domestic...) context will go on getting better, that the Lebanese government will act professionnaly to make Lebanon an even more attracting touristic destination, and that MEA will keep improving the quality of its service, allowing the Lebanese airline to take the place it deserves.

Rgds

BA
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:43 am

I have a feeling they will likely not get the A319 considering that their A321s only have 149 seats which is typical of an A320. This is in order to maintain a big Cedar Class section and good legroom, so OD-BWH does have a point...

But who knows... maybe we will see 100-seat A319s flying for MEA one day...

Regards

FlySSC

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:04 am

Quoting BA (Reply 18):
I have a feeling they will likely not get the A319 considering that their A321s only have 149 seats which is typical of an A320

You are right. But this is good for flights to Europe, > 4hours...

Is it really necessary to offer such a configuration for short flights < 2hours around BEY ? (CAI/AMM/LCA/JED etc...)

BA
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:09 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 19):
Is it really necessary to offer such a configuration for short flights < 2hours around BEY ? (CAI/AMM/LCA/JED etc...)

Whether it is necessary or not is not for me to say. But I believe, MEA will not go for any configuration that is less of what it currently has on its A321s. They always talk about maintaining high service standards and quality.

But who knows...

I have a question for you. MEA recently opened their upgraded Cedar Lounge in the airport.

It mentions that it has a cafeteria which can be seen below:

Is this cafeteria where one can buy food, or is it simply a cafeteria where Cedar Lounge guests are entitled to pick up food and drinks just like in any other airline lounge?

I know the Cedar Lounge had food before (small sandwiches, pastries, drinks, etc.), but this cafeteria looks pretty extensive, so I assume this is a self-serve and pay cafeteria?

They will be opening showers soon as well.

I have heard some people say that their new Cedar Lounge is even better than Emirates' Business Class lounge in Dubai! That's pretty impressive if true...

Regards

airxliban

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:15 am

We'll look forward to seeing F-OMED then.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Orion737

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:19 am

I am suprised they have not opted for the larger A330-300 because the 332 is often full on the Paris run and the extra seats on the 333 could easily be filled.

I do think a regional arm of MEA would be useful the 321 are far from suitable for the shorter, lower density routes to neighbouring countries where there is demand but the 321 is too big.

BA
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 22):
I do think a regional arm of MEA would be useful the 321 are far from suitable for the shorter, lower density routes to neighbouring countries where there is demand but the 321 is too big.

A Lebanese/Syrian regional airline called Phoenician Airlines is currently in the works. It will be 25% owned by MEA, 25% owned by Syrian Air, and the remaining 50% will be owned by other investers (Lebanese, Syrian, and others).

The airline will initially operate two 50-seat turboprops and in the future may acquire regional jets.

It will be based in Beirut and Damascus with shuttle flights between the two cities as well as flights to Aleppo in Syria.

In the future, it will operate flights to Iraq, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, and Cyprus.

Regards

Orion737

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:29 am

Its a good idea although I would have prefered MEA to operate to those destinations in its own right but with a smaller aircarft which could offer high frequencies. I would think the A318/A319 would offer smaller capacity but still fleet commonality or for MEA to perhaps order some ERJs.

Are these destinations curently served by MEA321? If so, then that must mean a huge excess capacity and restrict the number of daily frequencies that can be offered. Poor fleet planning on behalf of MEA. It was obvious the 321 would be too much for regional routes to surrounding countries.

BA
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 24):
Its a good idea although I would have prefered MEA to operate to those destinations in its own right but with a smaller aircarft which could offer high frequencies. I would think the A318/A319 would offer smaller capacity but still fleet commonality or for MEA to perhaps order some ERJs.

Are these destinations curently served by MEA321? If so, then that must mean a huge excess capacity and restrict the number of daily frequencies that can be offered. Poor fleet planning on behalf of MEA. It was obvious the 321 would be too much for regional routes to surrounding countries.

No, Phoenician Airlines will not operate the destinations served by MEA with the exception of Larnaca and maybe Amman.

They will operate secondary destinations that simply cannot be filled up on MEA's A321s.

MEA flies to Amman daily on an A321, I flew on this flight myself in 2004 and the flight was packed completely. There is demand for additional capacity, perhaps best served by 2 additional dailies on a 50-seat turboprop to accompany MEA's daily A321.

Phoenician Airlines would likely operate to Amman's secondary airport, Marka and not Queen Alia Int'l.

They could also operate to Aqaba in Jordan.

Larnaca, Cyprus despite being only a 45 minute flight from Beirut, also fills up on MEA's daily flight. Cyprus Airways also operates a daily A320.

Damascus, Syria is not operated by MEA at all, neither is Aleppo. MEA doesn't operate anywhere in Syria.These would be exclusively Phoenician Airlines destinations.

MEA doesn't fly to Iraq, so this would be a new market. MEA serves Istanbul in Turkey, however there is potential for destinations like Ankara, Adana, and Gaziantep which could be served by Phoenician Airlines.

In Egypt, MEA flies daily to Cairo and it is a very popular route, I flew on it myself many times. They also operate winter seasonally to Sharm el Sheikh.

Phoenician Airlines could operate to Alexandria and perhaps take over Sharm el Sheikh as well.

So there will be very little overlap with MEA.

Despite Amman and Larnaca being very close to Beirut, the demand is more than sufficient to fill up a daily flight on an A321.

Regards

[Edited 2005-10-16 22:44:14]

Orion737

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:47 am

I cannot understand why MEA dont get some smaller aircraft and operate to these destination 'in house' increasing brand awareness in the locality and surrounding countries.

The 321 was always overkill. If they had the 319 or a regional jet they could operate higher frequencies to important local destinations like Amman and Larnaca.

In contrast, their largest aircraft the 332 is insufficient capacity for CDG which could easily take a 333.

BA
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:52 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 26):
I cannot understand why MEA dont get some smaller aircraft and operate to these destination 'in house' increasing brand awareness in the locality and surrounding countries.

The 321 was always overkill. If they had the 319 or a regional jet they could operate higher frequencies to important local destinations like Amman and Larnaca.

The A321 is sufficient for Larnaca, Cairo, and Amman.

However for destinations like Damascus, Aleppo, Aqaba, Alexandria, Ankara, Adana, and Gazientep, nothing bigger than a 50-seat aircraft is acceptable.

I have a feeling MEA does not want to operate small planes and thus would rather set up a separate airline, Phoenician Airlines, to operate these routes in which it would have a stake in (25%).

I think you will see Phoenician Airlines flying to Ammans' secondary airport, Marka, to supplement MEA's daily A321 to Queen Alia since there is additional demand.

Demand has risen even further this year as a result of a visas being abolished for Jordanians and Lebanese traveling between the two cities.

Larnaca could eventually maybe taken over completely by Phoenician Airlines, or they could simply supplement the MEA A321 flight.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 26):
In contrast, their largest aircraft the 332 is insufficient capacity for CDG which could easily take a 333.

MEA is getting this 4th A330-200 so they can upgrade Paris to 2x daily A330-200 from the current 1x daily A321-200 and 1x daily A330-200.

Air France is also gradually upgrading its daily 777-200ER flight to 777-300ER. By April, the service will be entirely daily 777-300ER.

They also have ambitions to operate daily to London Heathrow (currently they fly 5x weekly and daily only in the summer) if they are able to get the appropriate slots on Mondays and Fridays.

Regards

[Edited 2005-10-16 22:54:40]

AF022

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:30 pm

With all the animosity between Syria and Lebanon, coupled with Syrian Arab Air's comically bad management, I can't envision Phoenician actually making it.

BA
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:56 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 28):
With all the animosity between Syria and Lebanon, coupled with Syrian Arab Air's comically bad management, I can't envision Phoenician actually making it.

I read in Al Mustaqbal newspaper about a month ago. It's still on. It was in an article about MEA and how it's performing this year as a result of the unstable political climate following Rafic Hariri's assassination last February.

Regards

mozart

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:57 pm

Quoting BA (Thread starter):
MEA will be one of the eight Arab airlines forming the regional airline alliance, Arabesk which will be launched early next year.

A question on this: with MEA joining Arabesk, does this mean the plan to join Skyteam is finally dead? That would be a pity... Anything official or at least semi-official on this?

Thanks

BA
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:44 am

Quoting Mozart (Reply 30):
A question on this: with MEA joining Arabesk, does this mean the plan to join Skyteam is finally dead? That would be a pity... Anything official or at least semi-official on this?

“None of the eight airlines are part of any global alliance. However, their membership in the Arab air alliance should not preclude them from joining any other alliance.”

http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/BusinessNF.asp?ArticleID=186103

The Arabesk alliance is a lot like the DL-NW-CO alliance. It is a regional alliance and will not prevent their members from joining any of the global alliances.

MEA is still planning to join SkyTeam, but it probably won't be for 1-2 years.

I'm sure FlySSC or MEA330 can clarify more.

Regards

od-bwh

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:04 pm

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 14):
.....I really think you are missing the point. Can you explain to me why Air Arabia has ben successful if everybody wants the luxury...and how is the A319 different from the A321?

Quoting BA (Reply 18):
I have a feeling they will likely not get the A319 considering that their A321s only have 149 seats which is typical of an A320. This is in order to maintain a big Cedar Class section and good legroom, so OD-BWH does have a point...

BA is right... add to this the fact that MEA is not a low cost airline. They cannot resemble and therefore cannot compete with a LC. Passengers flying on MEA are expecting to be treated with some form of luxury. I beleive the cost of, say, installing PTV's on A319 is almost close to that of an A321 (this would be my guess), while an A321 can carry more passengers and therefore the yield is much higher. It's a fact that since there are some (almost) fixed costs regarding aircraft operations, the larger the aircraft is, the higher the yield, should the demand be justified.

As long as other airlines in the region are operating what a traveller would call a full-option flight, MEA cannot set back its standards and operate flights like European or US domestic ones. As long as there are carriers like EK, Etihad, KU, QR etc... who operate 777 and 747 on short haul routes!
A300, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B734, B738, B744, B772, B773, B788, F70, MD11, CRJ7, CRJ2, Q400

HiJazzey

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:35 pm

I think the A321s are perfect for MEA. They're the right size, not too big, not too small. Don't forget that the region isn't an open sky, international slots are quite restricted. If you can only fly once a day to a certain destination, the A319 becomes too small (and in some sectors even the A321 is too small).

BA
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:01 am

Indeed HiJazzey. I know MEA has been wanting to operate to Riyadh (RUH) on a daily basis, but Saudi authorities haven't allowed them to increase it above 4x weekly. Starting next month however, it does go up to 5x weekly so I guess the Saudi authorities raised the restrictions a bit.

Hopefully it will operate daily one day just like Jeddah.

Regards

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos