kaitak744

Why Is There Cargo At LHR?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:20 am

Since LHR is such a big passenger airport and is highly slot resticted, I was wondering why there are cargo operations at LHR? To me, it seems pointless. They could move the cargo flights to Gattswick for example and then clear up some more slots for passenger planes. They can also demolish the cargo hangers and open some space for passenger terminals.

BBJII

RE: Why Is There Cargo At LHR?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:30 am

Small volumes of cargo from just about everywhere arrive at Heathrow.
It's then easy to pallet it up and send it on Freighters.

Most Freighters leav Heathrow late night having accumulated freight throughout the day.
Remember: The Bird Hit You, You Didn't Hit The Bird.....

Glom

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:31 am

M4 to the West Country. M25. A4 direct to central London. Gatwick slot restricted itself and with its own cargo operations.

Nope, much better to have it at LHR.

B742

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:33 am

I've also wondered this too!

That's why STN and EMA are major Cargo destinations for airlines, STN and EMA are just North of London and have more slots and room available!

I wish that LGW and STN would take over some of LHR's cargo!

Most of LHR's cargo is belly freight comming in from Long Haul flights!

LHR's cargo area is not massive for a airport such as LHR's size!

Quoting Kaitak744 (Thread starter):
They could move the cargo flights to Gattswick for example and then clear up some more slots for passenger planes

Do you mean Gatwick (LGW)  Wink

Rob!  wave 

Richard28

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:36 am

Remember lots of passsenger planes transport cargo in the bellies of the aircraft.

With a lot of LHR movements this equates to a lot of cargo coming in - plus lots of connections for cargo to move on to if England is not its destination.

BDRules

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:38 am

EMA is currently 13th in European standings in terms of tonnage, and that is all (98%) on dedicated freighters while LHR gets all the belly freight.

If a route isnt very profitable as a passenger route but very strong as a freight route but not enough for a dedicated freighter, thats another reason as LHR has a good atchment area.

Regards

Stu